The UK General Politics Thread Page 53

• Page

of 254 First / Last

• Moot_Point 19 Oct 2012 19:46:04 4,606 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EatMyCow wrote:
    At extremely close range which pretty much amounts to a physical assault.
    I thought it was free range.

Edited by Moot_Point at 19:47:13 19-10-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• LetsGo 19 Oct 2012 21:25:10 5,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, Sir George Young, the new Chief Whip who famously said.....

"The homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera."

And also appeared in this ad for the railways.

You can't make this up!!

EDIT: thanks to the new statesman article http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2012/10/sir-george-young-appointed-new-chief-whip

Edited by LetsGo at 21:26:22 19-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 19 Oct 2012 23:28:33 19,659 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We're going to have Ed Millbean as our Prime Minister. It's completely unbelievable, yet it's going to happens because the Nasty Party twats just cannot stop themselves from being cunts and cannot hide the pleasure they get out of it.

Ed fukcing Millibean. And the irony is Millibean & co. cannot do much worse than what the Tories have done. It's unreal. What sort of parliament have we got, when come the general election you either vote for a cunt or don't vote at all.

Politics really is shit.
  • spamdangled 20 Oct 2012 00:27:01 27,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The media is already picking up on the whole George Young "The homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera" thing. It was mentioned on Newsnight earlier.

5 quid that it will be mentioned during PMQ next week.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LetsGo 20 Oct 2012 00:40:13 5,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our only hope is if Boris gets a seat in a by election and takes the helm.
  • spamdangled 20 Oct 2012 00:42:56 27,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Please tell me that's sarcasm!

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LetsGo 20 Oct 2012 00:48:12 5,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :)

Daily Mail front page tomorrow....

• MrDigital 20 Oct 2012 02:29:10 1,866 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jesus, The Daily Mail are anti-Tory? I've really not been following UK politics well enough...

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Moot_Point 20 Oct 2012 09:19:38 4,606 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @EatMyCow Well this is the system we are stuck with, until we get off our arse and reach a new agreement with the King/Queen. But for that to happen, you would need someone sensible to lead a revolt of the people, for the people and by the people.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• spamdangled 20 Oct 2012 14:58:40 27,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There have to be cuts of some description. If you don't, then you would need to raise taxes and that would be just as unpopular. At least with cuts you can try and target them at the most bloated/inefficient areas of government.

And "cuts" doesnt just have to mean public services. The civil service is a hugely bloated machine that sucks up large amounts of money and is woefully inefficient. No reason that couldnt be significantly trimmed down into a leaner, more effective machine. Cutting out a lot of bureaucracy would also save money in public services, meaning cuts could be made without any impact on actual services.

• localnotail 20 Oct 2012 15:21:20 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tens of thousands marching against "austerity" today. Miles and miles of ineffective outrage registration. Yet more fuck-ups from the most lame and pathetic UK government I've ever witnessed. Perhaps it was ever thus and there are just more ways for the shit to leak out now?
    They do just seem more shite though.

I begin to wonder if I'm in a dream, scripted by Armando Iannucci.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• RobTheBuilder 20 Oct 2012 15:22:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @localnotail When the Thick of it starts to look like a documentary you know things are bad.

When the Daily Mail turns against the Tories, you know things are REALLY bad.
  • localnotail 20 Oct 2012 15:31:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @localnotail When the Thick of it starts to look like a documentary you know things are bad.

True dat. Now I'm really scared.

"Shat on by Tories, shoveled up by Labour," then made to drink from the mess of 2 parties, 1 fuckup.

• elstoof 20 Oct 2012 15:46:56 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You've been on a 2 girls 1 cup tip for a while now local, that's the third reference this week.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2012 15:51:12
    withnail
  • localnotail 20 Oct 2012 15:53:27 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    You've been on a 2 girls 1 cup tip for a while now local, that's the third reference this week.
    Pure coincidence, although it's a great graphic reference. Anyway, 3rd? I thought 2nd. You are obviously paying more attention to what I say than I am. No offence, but you should probably get out more.

• spamdangled 20 Oct 2012 15:59:17 27,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

On Newsnight last night, the Political Commentator from the Sun said "perhaps the reason why The Thick Of It is starting to be accused of being boring is because the reality these days is actually much more hideous".

• elstoof 20 Oct 2012 16:05:40 8,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    You are obviously paying more attention to what I say than I am. No offence, but you should probably get out more.
    No, I just use this thing called Memory.
  • localnotail 20 Oct 2012 17:16:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's the third then? I remember the father thread one about baby sick, that's why it is in my head. Genuinely curious. (Enough derailment tho, PM me if you recall, my memory is fucked from sleep deprivation right now. Would've thought I'd remember that though.)

Edited by localnotail at 19:51:31 20-10-2012

• mal 20 Oct 2012 18:17:38 22,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I will be voting in the next general election. Well, I'll be submitting a ballot paper anyway, except I will have written 'none of the above' on it. The only thing left to decide is how sweary to make it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spamdangled 20 Oct 2012 18:23:52 27,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good for you.

• MrDigital 20 Oct 2012 21:17:25 1,866 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm no expert, but can someone tell me if they think these two assumptions are correct/if they agree with them:

1 - In times of good economic health, reasonably high public spending is good as it creates a positive feedback loop, increasing jobs, increasing education, increasing public happiness, etc. But in times of bad economic health, regardless of whether you are normally left or right, it must seem prudent to cut back spending to create a more lean economy until you are out of the bad patch.
    2 - Most people marching and protesting are doing so on ideological grounds - they talk in very broad terms about how public spending is good, but regret to confront the fact that high public spending might not be the best idea when you don't have a great deal of money. Instead they make it into a class issue, and push an agenda which supports this belief.

Edited by Geesh at 21:17:41 20-10-2012

• monkehhh 20 Oct 2012 21:27:17 3,504 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or you can cut back on spending to a point where it makes the bad worse. Maybe it's more prudent to keep spending and worry about recouping that money when you're out of the bad patch?

I have no idea :)
  • MrDigital 20 Oct 2012 21:32:06 1,866 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I have no idea either, it's just a musing.

No one really knows though, which is the worrying thing. There is no consensus between economists what will work - you can have two economists of superb intelligence, talent, knowledge and experience, yet both these two people could have entirely opposite views on how to run the economy out of this. So basically we have to just keep sailing into the complete unknown and hope we don't drown and capsize :D

• Clive_Dunn 20 Oct 2012 22:41:07 4,788 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    I'm no expert, but can someone tell me if they think these two assumptions are correct/if they agree with them:

1 - In times of good economic health, reasonably high public spending is good as it creates a positive feedback loop, increasing jobs, increasing education, increasing public happiness, etc. But in times of bad economic health, regardless of whether you are normally left or right, it must seem prudent to cut back spending to create a more lean economy until you are out of the bad patch.
    2 - Most people marching and protesting are doing so on ideological grounds - they talk in very broad terms about how public spending is good, but regret to confront the fact that high public spending might not be the best idea when you don't have a great deal of money. Instead they make it into a class issue, and push an agenda which supports this belief.
    What a load of old bollocks.

1) History has shown us that slashing public spending in the bad times simply causes a recession to become a depression. You can't create growth by making more people unemployed, nor by driving down wages in an attempt to make the economy more "competitive" ( whatever that means ). You just supress domestic demand even further.
    2) The cuts themselves are ideological, just one glance at the targets of the coalition cuts entirely supports that view. Some people will be marching because they are scared, some because they don't agree this is a policy that can drive growth back into the economy.

Personally I don't know how people accepting lower wages, worse terms and conditions and a reduced safety net through the welfare state can fix the long term imbalances within the economy. Unless of course you want a race to the bottom so the labour market can compete with Chinese or Indian manufacturers.

Sometimes I think the Tories really do want to turn back the clock 200 years. Cunts.
  • MrDigital 20 Oct 2012 22:50:33 1,866 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Clive_Dunn

What events in history have shown us that? I realise the depression in America was largely credited as a success of more public spending rather than less, but are there any other events in history which support this? Maybe what applied in the American Depression doesn't apply now and won't work. On top of that, without a bias, do you know of any events which actually showed cutting public spending (when money is tight) works?

Just so you know, these aren't necessarily my views, I just feel the need to explore the issue before I make an opinion. Mind you, even with research, my opinion (and presumably all of ours) is completely useless considering how little of an expert I am when it comes to the world economy.

• spamdangled 20 Oct 2012 23:11:09 27,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Labour spent their way out of the recession and they managed to get growth up quite impressively before they lost power.

• ResidentKnievel 20 Oct 2012 23:12:17 6,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't Clinton cut spending while times were good when he was President of the US which resulted in them having a budget surplus?

I could be mis-remembering or making that up

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Page

of 254 First / Last