Channel One Shuts down end of Jan 2011

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • HoriZon 3 Jan 2011 18:00:28 13,596 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Channel One (Formally Virgin 1)

Its been on the cards for a while but it ends this month shame as i liked watching all that old Star Trek/Fresh Prince on Freeview I'm sure most of it programs will end up on other channels but most of them will be Sky only ones.

Bravo has already closed down with its programs moving to other channels such as Living/Sky 1 etc.

Channel One on Freeview will become Challenge TV, FFS why did OFcom let them change it for something this shit?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Kostabi 3 Jan 2011 18:05:28 5,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sky are giving Challenge a budget increase soon so the range of programs it shows should get better hopefully, after all there are only so many times the same episode of Takeshi's Castle can be shown surely?
  • MrSensible 3 Jan 2011 18:06:09 25,368 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Bravo went on 1st January didn't it? I don't get it any more at least.
  • Clive_Dunn 3 Jan 2011 18:06:31 4,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's arse, I liked Channel One for the old Star Treks.
  • HoriZon 3 Jan 2011 18:07:15 13,596 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Sky are giving Challenge a budget increase soon so the range of programs it shows should get better hopefully, after all there are only so many times the same episode of Takeshi's Castle can be shown surely?

Its still Quiz shows and all that shit i would rather watch V, Star Trek and such like than that crap.

ah yeah Bravo went a few days ago:
    http://tv.sky.com/Bravo

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Load_2.0 3 Jan 2011 18:41:58 19,670 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:

Yep I have mega marathons of trek during the weekends. Its probably my most watched channel.

Challenge however is poop.
  • ecu 3 Jan 2011 18:43:45 77,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't even realise this channel existed until I read this thread.
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2011 18:43:48 79,202 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shit news. I will miss the reassuring drone of Trek and X-Files while I work.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 3 January 2011 18:52:36
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Do you not have CBS?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2011 19:04:29
    Bah. No more weekend mornings of watching Ninja Warrior with the kids then? :-(
  • sport 3 Jan 2011 19:08:49 12,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as Crystal Maze isn't moved from the 6pm slot I'm happy - little guy loves it!
  • Tom_Servo 3 Jan 2011 19:09:15 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thought the thread title meant BBC1. Phew.
  • MrSensible 3 Jan 2011 19:15:18 25,368 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Channel One is pretty much the only channel I watch. I sometimes put Bravo on, or Sky One, but very seldom tbh. Absolutely gutted about it going :(
  • megastar 3 Jan 2011 19:18:32 17,197 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    they should compress the 600 channels of utter shite into 200 c hannels of mediocre TV, as well as filtering out all of the shite - it wouldn't take half an hour to go through the entire TV guide when you're bored.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jan 2011 19:20:46 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a shame, it was always a handy channel of last reserve.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Futaba 3 Jan 2011 19:37:44 3,540 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to watch it occasionally for Worlds Most Dangerous Videos and Fresh Prince repeats.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• thelzdking 3 Jan 2011 20:00:16 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Challenge is utterly wank, I can't believe that they're replacing Channel One with the crappy old game shows channel. Channel One is hardly amazing but it's infinitely better than Challenge. Cheers Sky.
  • the_dudefather 3 Jan 2011 20:03:24 9,418 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks to challenge, the internet got decent copies of Knightmare at least :)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• TheSaint 3 Jan 2011 21:12:56 14,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are people really mourning the loss of a channel that yesterday was showing a program called "Busted in the buff 3"?
  • Clive_Dunn 3 Jan 2011 21:13:17 4,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Do you not have CBS?

Not on Freeview so I can record onto my PC and watch on the way to work. Mutherfuckers.
  • Hermiod 4 Jan 2011 07:33:21 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sky have been saying that much of Bravo and Channel One's programming will end up on Sky channels, but they haven't made up their minds which shows go where.
  • lucky_jim 4 Jan 2011 08:28:15 5,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is a pretty big blow to those of us who refuse to pay a subscription for telly: it's one of the better channels on Freeview. I didn't realise Sky had so much control over it, wasn't it launched by Virgin when Sky were trying to charge them more for Sky 1?

Oh well, another nail in the coffin of my traditional telly-watching habits. I increasingly watch catch-up services and torrented shows nowadays anyway.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 4 Jan 2011 08:48:56 1,544 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never heard of the channel to be honest - don't watch much television these days anyway.

Too many good games to play, great books to read and work to be done to waste time vegetating in front of mindless non-interactive television.

Plus we still get the BBC - what more do you need?
  • Alastair 4 Jan 2011 08:55:42 16,406 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No more Sexcetera...
    :o(
  • Hermiod 4 Jan 2011 09:32:47 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    This is a pretty big blow to those of us who refuse to pay a subscription for telly: it's one of the better channels on Freeview. I didn't realise Sky had so much control over it, wasn't it launched by Virgin when Sky were trying to charge them more for Sky 1?

Yes, it was originally called Virgin 1.

Sky bought the Living TV Group (AKA Virgin Media Television) from Virgin Media last year, giving them ownership of Living, Bravo, Virgin 1 and Challenge. As part of the deal, and probably to keep the monopolies and mergers people happy, Virgin gained access to a number of Sky's HD channels.

The first thing they did was rename Virgin 1 to Channel One.

My understanding is that when Sky Atlantic launches there will be a bit of a reshuffle in the Sky EPG with Sky One, the renamed Sky Living and Sky Atlantic on 106, 107 and 108. It's not clear what will happen to Sky 2 or Sky 3 or what they will replace Sky 3 with on Freeview. They are replacing Channel One with Challenge, apparently.

Oh well, another nail in the coffin of my traditional telly-watching habits. I increasingly watch catch-up services and torrented shows nowadays anyway.

Indeed. The amount of TV I watch is shrinking, thanks in part to the crappy way TV is broadcast in this country (shows STILL suffering from PAL speed-up on HD channels), plus the general decline in quality and quantity of TV for male audiences.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Jan 2011 09:48:31 25,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Argh. Goodbye Trek and X Files.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• darkmorgado 4 Jan 2011 09:58:04 15,598 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Are people really mourning the loss of a channel that yesterday was showing a program called "Busted in the buff 3"?

I'm just pissed off that I missed the first two.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Hermiod 4 Jan 2011 10:11:50 3,702 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Argh. Goodbye Trek and X Files.

The X-Files is occasionally shown on Living Loves and Sky have said Star Trek will end up on a Sky channel. Though what channel that is and whether or not it'll be on Freeview I don't know.
  • MetalDog 4 Jan 2011 10:13:52 23,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just buy the dvds. Fuck Sky up the arse - dvds and bbc iplayer are all you'll ever need =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous