Compact backup cam recommendations Page 4

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 14:28:59 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These are just pulled straight out the camera, it was evening when most were taken. Haven't had a look for good ones but I guess some show detail and a couple show the distortion I found that annoyed me. I think all cameras suffer from that distortion to some degree.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8250/img3452a.jpg
    http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7303/img3483w.jpg
    http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3945/img3538y.jpg
    http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8373/img3539z.jpg
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4226/img3542m.jpg
  • Gregolution 20 Jul 2011 14:29:09 3,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers mate. I'm still leaning towards the G12. The G2 was my favorite camera... the S95 just feels too tiny and lacks buttons, although I imagine picture quality is probably very similar.

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• monkman76 20 Jul 2011 14:33:44 5,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This comparison of the G12 / LX5 and Nikon P7000 may be useful. Thom Hogan's a big name in the Nikon world.
    edit - I think he likes the Nikon the least, so don't worry about bias ;-)

Of those I think I'd go for the LX5 for the fast and wide lens :-P
  • AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 15:03:17 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I should probably explain those photos a bit better, images 3 and 4 were me figuring out what the distortion was. It tended to happen on the wide end of the lens, the buildings and lines in the photos should be straight but in the photo you can see they're really very curved. I found it quite infuriating!
  • Deleted user 20 July 2011 15:29:05
    Indeed, that's a nasty looking distortion. Lightroom has quite a database of lenses, have you tried straightening the image there? (think there's a 30 days trial for it if you don't have it already).
  • henro_ben 20 Jul 2011 15:30:27 2,244 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I should probably explain those photos a bit better, images 3 and 4 were me figuring out what the distortion was. It tended to happen on the wide end of the lens, the buildings and lines in the photos should be straight but in the photo you can see they're really very curved. I found it quite infuriating!

Looks like a combination of perspective distortion (your camera is at an angle), and barrel distortion from the wide focal length. You often get barrel / pincushion with zooms - often the greater the zoom the greater the distortion, with barrel at the wide end & pincushion at the zoomed end, as a rough rule of thumb. You can usually correct for these in software.

The worst is complex distortion (a mix of barrel & pincushion), which is a right pig to fix - the sigma 10-20mm is prone to this type... especially noticable along the horizon in landscapes alas :-(
  • mal 20 Jul 2011 16:11:30 22,842 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why is no one talking about Olympus' XZ-1 any more? To me that lens is still great - and a real benefit to having a smaller sensor. To have such a good lens on a proper sensor would make it massive and cost an absolute bomb. Decent apertures along the range too limiting the need for high ISO, and dual controls. Software on it seems decent for a compact - probably not up there with the S95 (that being a Canon) but usable as a shooter's camera.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 16:13:55 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest I haven't really looked for any kind of software fix for the camera because I only borrowed it for a short while.
  • monkman76 20 Jul 2011 16:36:00 5,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Why is no one talking about Olympus' XZ-1 any more? To me that lens is still great - and a real benefit to having a smaller sensor. To have such a good lens on a proper sensor would make it massive and cost an absolute bomb. Decent apertures along the range too limiting the need for high ISO, and dual controls. Software on it seems decent for a compact - probably not up there with the S95 (that being a Canon) but usable as a shooter's camera.

Good question - I would probably get one of these ahead of any of the other compacts mentioned :-)
  • Deleted user 20 July 2011 17:49:34
    ^same here, but I'm a bit Olympus biased. :)

The high ISO performance of the D7000 has spoiled me indeed. I was messing around the other day with the equivalent of ISO8000 (whatever Nikon calls it) in black and white with very little light. The quality of the noise in the out of focus areas was sweet, reminded me of highly pushed Tri-X film. This was all unprocessed, I imagine messing around in After Effects can produce some very cool results for high contrast B&W film.

Even 1080p movies looked great, with lovely dancing noise. I can upload a still if anyone's interested.
  • Gregolution 20 Jul 2011 22:30:40 3,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think after all this reading and deliberating, I'm going to change my mind at the last minute and go with the S95 vs the G12. They're practically the same specs, the smaller size just seems to make more sense for a backup. Plus it's cheaper.

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• DrDamn 22 Jul 2011 12:33:44 1,216 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gregolution
    I've owned a G7 and got the wife an S95 last year. If I was thinking of a G12 or S95 now I definitely go S95. The way I see it if you are looking for a compact backup then the size advantage the S95 has is a big deciding factor.

That said ... http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/20/sony-alpha-nex-c3-review/
  • AaronTurner 22 Jul 2011 12:45:24 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are all the lenses on the NEX series massive though? I don't get it.
  • TheRealBadabing 22 Jul 2011 13:02:22 1,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Problem with the NEX (and all mirrorless models so far) is that unless you are using a pancake lens, they can hardly be called compact.

Was wondering if anyone has compared the autofocus speeds on a good compact (S95/XZ-1 etc) them to a NEX/PEN style system? I got very disillusioned with that class of camera due to how slow they were. They are great bits of technology and gave me some lovely images but were unfortunately rubbish for anything that was moving (like my daughter).
  • Nth 22 Jul 2011 13:46:44 3,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    General impression I get of the NEX system is that there's a small range of lenses, and most of them are crap. And they look ridiculous.
  • PrivateFloyd 22 Jul 2011 14:45:21 4,189 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Problem with the NEX (and all mirrorless models so far) is that unless you are using a pancake lens, they can hardly be called compact.

Was wondering if anyone has compared the autofocus speeds on a good compact (S95/XZ-1 etc) them to a NEX/PEN style system? I got very disillusioned with that class of camera due to how slow they were. They are great bits of technology and gave me some lovely images but were unfortunately rubbish for anything that was moving (like my daughter).

I went from a Nex-3 to an S90.

Undoubtedly the shutter speed and autofocus was faster on the Nex. In fact i would go as far as saying the Nex autofocuses best in its class as a compact system camera based on my time with a PEN E-P1, Panny G2 and a Sammy NX100.

As Nth has pointed out though, the lenses are crap, anything other than the pancake made it unwieldy to hold and looked fugly.

I got rid of the Nex because of this and i could see what was going to happen with their lens selection i.e. niche and fucking expensive..

Goat is hungry.....

• Nth 22 Jul 2011 15:14:11 3,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The new Pen's are super quick with AF, but the E-P3 has a stupid price tag. Way more than the Panasonic G3 (also has very quick AF) which has an EVF built-in. Not as nice to look at of course though. Love my E-P1 with Panasonic 20mm on it, cost me 415 in total (145/270). Images a bit noisy but Lr sorts that easily.
  • monkman76 22 Jul 2011 15:25:03 5,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NEX has only been around for a year though in fairness, m4/3 had at least a year's start. The lenses are coming... (in theory)

It doesn't have the sexy retro look though granted, if that's important to you :-)

• AaronTurner 22 Jul 2011 15:45:58 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just think the whole NEX thing looks so unbalanced and bizarre, the lenses look massive. It seems they've gone for this high fidelity thing with the sensor size but they've trapped themselves in a corner because they can't produce the lenses now.

The E-P3 is expensive but I always buy a generation behind. Also I'm more interesting the the E-PM1, that's looking like coming out at around 600, so the price should drop soonish. Looks like a really sexy little thing.
  • PrivateFloyd 22 Jul 2011 17:21:19 4,189 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't me wrong, one of the things i miss about the Nex is the image quality.

I bought it at a time where a) the k-mount (?) lenses were looking way too expensive for my wallet and b) i was a raving amateur who was unaware of the ability to get adaptors opening up other lens ranges (and being scared of manual focus!!).

And i do love the retro look of my E-P1 ; )

Goat is hungry.....

• Nth 22 Jul 2011 21:10:12 3,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bought this strap for my Pen, love it. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280610143301
  • PrivateFloyd 22 Jul 2011 23:11:19 4,189 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    Bought this strap for my Pen, love it. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280610143301

I am ashamedly going to rip your good taste off and order one for myself!

Thanks for sharing!!

Goat is hungry.....

• TheRealBadabing 24 Jul 2011 17:43:41 1,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After looking at a load of previews, the E-P3 seems to have fixed all the issues I had with the range. Want one pretty badly now so need to raise some funds.

To that end, does anyone know someone that would like a practically brand new XZ-1 for 275? Got a couple of spare batteries and screen protectors on the way that I could throw in too.
  • AaronTurner 24 Jul 2011 17:59:25 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Expensive buying, wait a year :)

Wouldn't mind picking up an E-PL1 simply for the viewfinder option. Cheap as chips now, 200 for the body new.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2011 10:35:02
    Wild rumours flying around, we should know by late August or the weeks after:

Sony to have this kick ass NEX-7 pro version with Zeiss using a LEAF SHUTTER _inside_ the lens. Yes, you read that right. Also, micro lenses on the sensor to compensate with wide angles producing coloured vignette effects - just like Leica has on their M9.

Nikon to come with their compact format, supported at launch by 3 lenses. Small sensor (just below m4/3) but they may have done some magic with the lenses and general size of the system.

NEX-7 sounds awesome if true!
  • monkman76 5 Aug 2011 11:11:41 5,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NEX-7 does look tempting, but it will be too pricey for me especially with good Zeiss lenses. I have to remind myself that I got my NEX-3 because it was a CHEAP compact sidekick to my DSLR. Would rather spend the bigger bucks (if I had them) on lenses for the D7000 tbh.
  • AaronTurner 5 Aug 2011 11:24:10 7,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What does a leaf shutter inside the lens mean? Smaller bodies or lenses?
  • monkman76 5 Aug 2011 11:51:05 5,410 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure what it means for size, but it's good for high flash sync speeds and it's very quiet. I think.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2011 12:51:51
    It's what the new Fuji X100 uses and it's indeed very quiet. Less mechanical parts apparently thus longer life time.

Since the NEX will have a normal shutter as well, that will be out of the way the moment you equip a lens fitted with a shutter, right? Hitech!
  • mal 5 Aug 2011 13:25:49 22,842 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, the significant thing is that it's going to be built into the lens, at the point where the rays of light (at least the ones we're interested in) converge. So it can be much smaller, and consequently quieter.

Won't make the camera smaller though, if what valli says about it still needing a focal plane shutter is right.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Page

of 13 First / Last