Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nicked from HUKD: Nex-5 for £332.99

Quite tempting.

Portable view - Never forget.

• PrivateFloyd 18 Feb 2011 07:47:34 4,117 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    if you fancy a point and shoot only then it is an awesome camera.

i had one for awhile. the problem is all the adjustments you would like to make are buried in menus. I remember it was something daft like 7 button presses just to change shutter speed.

Also at £332.99 you will pay more for one additional lens when you get bored of the kit lens.

Goat is hungry.....

• crisotunity 18 Feb 2011 10:23:30 149 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, the NEX-5's price has gone up, but woof! Nex-3 with 16mm lens for £270!

Play NEX-3

Edit - Blimey: this is cheaper than an S95!!!
  • Mr-Brett 19 Feb 2011 00:26:48 12,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

i had one for awhile. the problem is all the adjustments you would like to make are buried in menus. I remember it was something daft like 7 button presses just to change shutter speed.

That's what's making be hold back on it, I'm hoping that the rumoured new version that Valli mentioned will come out and have easy adjustments.

Also: apprently the NEX-5 can be got with 16mm pancake and a 18-55mm from Sony Centre for £340.

• mal 19 Feb 2011 01:12:43 22,473 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still holding out for the XZ1 I think. Come on, Olympus, release the damn thing! It may only be a relatively small-sensored camera, but that small sensor allows it to carry what will hopefully be viewed in the future as a classic lens, in a still compact package.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mrharvest 19 Feb 2011 07:50:41 5,194 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

That's what's making be hold back on it, I'm hoping that the rumoured new version that Valli mentioned will come out and have easy adjustments.

Also: apprently the NEX-5 can be got with 16mm pancake and a 18-55mm from Sony Centre for £340.
    I have no first hand experience with the the NEX-3/5 but DPReview said that in the latest firmware version 3 you can set four of your favourite options to the buttons on the rear.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Feb 2011 15:55:45 12,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds promising but I'm in no position to be buying any cameras at the moment, so waiting for a new version is also good excuse to not bankrupt myself :)

• Deleted user 19 February 2011 17:12:47
    I'd definitely go for the Olympus if I wanted a camera now. Sony has more or less confirmed working on a "pro" NEX-7 while releasing updates to 5 and 3. First out is NEX-3C or whatever's called.

A bit of a shame that they're upgrading the current ones before releasing a proper NEX. OTOH, the lens supply for NEXes is really limited and with a few Carl Zeisses, Tamrons and Sigmas around the corner it makes sense to wait with releasing serious bodies.

It's going to be an interesting spring, Nikon are promising big things before end of March and Pentax is about to release a mirrorless cam as well.

I admit browsing mirrorlessrumours daily... :)
  • crisotunity 22 Feb 2011 11:34:38 149 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Valli

I think that both Nikon and Pentax are going for P&S sensor-size mirror less cameras. It will be an interesting development (tiny P&S with interchangeable lenses), but I would not consider them as competition for the NEX or m43 lines.
    I am really looking forward to Sony's next move with the NEX7. I have a GH2 and it is a lovely camera BUT I so wish that they had made it rain/dust resistant... I hope that Sony delivers a nice kick up their backsides :-)
  • monkman76 15 Jun 2011 11:54:23 4,193 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Couldn't resist the NEX-3 with 16mm pancake for £280 from Play. The lens alone sells for over £150 so that's not much over £100 for a camera with a sensor that wouldn't be out of place in a mid-range DSLR.

And the combo is tiny! Love wide-angle and wide aperture too so it's a good lens for me. And I have a couple of old Canon FD mount primes which will MF nicely on the NEX.

Surprised these aren't more popular really. I'm expecting some control quirks but I don't really care at that price! (Believe the controls have improved massively with firmware updates)
  • Deleted user 15 June 2011 18:08:15
    That is a solid price indeed, probably cause the NEX-3 upgrade is around the corner. Loads of NEX mount adapters on Ebay for cheap as well, if you have old MF lenses around.
  • monkman76 15 Jun 2011 19:32:24 4,193 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep - already ordered an FD mount adapter for £25 :-)

Firmware update next week apparently to allow 'peaking' for MF - shows bright red/yellow/white highlights around in-focus edges to make MF much easier. Sounds good to me!
  • Deleted user 9 July 2011 17:32:20
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 9 July 2011 17:36:40
    ^ checking monkman's post above mine, "peaking" is what I was talking about. Lovely feature:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPF375-2rA
  • Deleted user 14 July 2011 14:42:45
    First mockup/prototype render of the NEX-7:
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-hot-is-that-the-first-image-of-the-nex-7/

I like the direction it's going with more manual controls. Apparently it has a very high res/high frequency EVF and a 24MP sensor. Their current pancake prime is OK I suppose but it's gotten mixed reviews.

However, the camera body with a nice Contax prime (Distagon 25mm/2.8) or Voigtländer 21mm/4 in Leica M mount will probably my compact choice. That way I can grow should I go completely nuts and starting on a Leica M lens collection... :)

NEX5 with Voigtländer compactness:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiif/4859303355/
  • AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 12:37:24 7,686 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How good does the new Olympus Mini Pen look? DSLR in a tiny, tiny body.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl3/images/penminifrontback.jpg
  • urban 20 Jul 2011 12:55:55 10,942 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still cannot decide between the canon S95 and the Panasonic LX5. It's a bitch.

I miss the rangefinder days.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2011 13:07:51
    AaronTurner wrote:
    How good does the new Olympus Mini Pen look? DSLR in a tiny, tiny body.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl3/images/penminifrontback.jpg
    Don't want to sound snobbish but it's not a DSLR because it lacks optical VF, a large sensor, ergonomics and multiple controls (twin wheels to start with). The only thing it's got similar to a DSLR is access to a big range of interchangeable lenses.

Love the m4/3 format lenses (especially Olympus') but they have shot themselves in the foot with the sensor size IMO.
  • AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 13:16:03 7,686 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You do sound snobbish :)

I just use the term DSLR pretty loosely, I think most do simply to define a camera with interchangeable lenses rather than a compact or bridge camera.

The sensor size may be a bug bear to some but it's not really that much smaller than the Canon or Nikon ones and it's massive in comparison to compact cameras. Personally I don't have a problem with the sensor size and it's understandable why they did it, out of all the systems the m43 seems to be most versatile for lenses, including legacy ones.
  • Gregolution 20 Jul 2011 13:53:03 3,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    urban wrote:
    I still cannot decide between the canon S95 and the Panasonic LX5. It's a bitch.

I miss the rangefinder days.

Weird, I've just come back from Jessops and hours of online research, decided to take a break from my camera shopping decision by going to EG and find this thread!

I was in the same boat as you mate, had highlighted the S95 and LX5, but now I'm starting to move towards the Powershot G12.....

Does anyone disagree strongly with the G12 against those 2? The G2 was the camera that got me into photography 10 years ago and it still seems like a decent offering. Lots of good manual controls and viewfinder, bit chunkier but a hell of a lot easier to carry around than my DSLR.
  • monkman76 20 Jul 2011 13:56:54 4,193 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Love the m4/3 format lenses (especially Olympus') but they have shot themselves in the foot with the sensor size IMO.

But if the sensor was bigger, the lenses would have to be bigger too, and then the whole system is less compact.
  • AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 13:58:09 7,686 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really what you're asking but I used the G11 quite a lot and I would take my EP1 any day of the week over it. The EP1 is bigger but not hugely, I guess it depends what size you're going for though. I found the G11 to really show up shape distortion too, I assume that's a problem due to the small lens size.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2011 13:59:56
    :) Well, considering the sensor development, physical size still dictates image quality, high ISO performance and the like. There will be a fantastic legacy of lenses in the future when they figure out how to improve sensor quality, no doubt. For now, that lovely Olympus glass is hardly making an effort on a 4/3 sensor.

Still, final quality is dictated by the person behind the camera. Wonderful images!
  • monkman76 20 Jul 2011 14:03:25 4,193 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The logical solution to the size vs image quality quandary is to have a large-ish sensor combined with compact primes. Sony have half of that covered with the NEX cameras... WHERE ARE THE E-MOUNT PRIMES SONY?!?!
  • AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 14:03:28 7,686 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not disagreeing that a full size sensor beats the M43 sensor, but this thread is about back-up compact cameras. There are many that find the m43 sensor size to be more than adequate, especially with the other benefits that come with that sensor size.
  • Gregolution 20 Jul 2011 14:10:53 3,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Not really what you're asking but I used the G11 quite a lot and I would take my EP1 any day of the week over it. The EP1 is bigger but not hugely, I guess it depends what size you're going for though. I found the G11 to really show up shape distortion too, I assume that's a problem due to the small lens size.

Interesting. Given I have a DSLR, I didn't think the Micro 4/3 were a big enough difference in size to warrant the purchase. I'm just looking for something to carry around when I can't be bothered to carry a big bag with lenses. The G12 at least feels a bit more like a DSLR in your hands and has manual controls which I vastly prefer to the touchscreens.

Sad to hear you're not impressed with picture quality.
  • Deleted user 20 July 2011 14:14:31
    monkman76 wrote:The logical solution to the size vs image quality quandary is to have a large-ish sensor combined with compact primes. Sony have half of that covered with the NEX cameras... WHERE ARE THE E-MOUNT PRIMES SONY?!?!
    Tell me about it. DXO and similar tech sites rave about the sensor quality of the NEX, yet there's no glass to put in front of it.

Right now, if the NEX-7 will be good (manual controls and compact) I'll pick one up with a Voigtländer 21 or 25mm in Leica M format. Basically a more compact Fuji X100, which lets me change the lens if I want to. :)
  • AaronTurner 20 Jul 2011 14:15:23 7,686 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I mean I thought the picture quality was ok, certainly great for a compact but for me my EP1 is pretty small anyway and the EP1 shits all over it for picture quality. I'll see if I have an example of the distortion I found.
  • monkman76 20 Jul 2011 14:21:43 4,193 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    valli wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:The logical solution to the size vs image quality quandary is to have a large-ish sensor combined with compact primes. Sony have half of that covered with the NEX cameras... WHERE ARE THE E-MOUNT PRIMES SONY?!?!
    Tell me about it. DXO and similar tech sites rave about the sensor quality of the NEX, yet there's no glass to put in front of it.

Right now, if the NEX-7 will be good (manual controls and compact) I'll pick one up with a Voigtländer 21 or 25mm in Leica M format. Basically a more compact Fuji X100, which lets me change the lens if I want to. :)

You've got a D7000 haven't you? The RAWs from my NEX-3 are decent, but I think the D7000 has spoilt me - don't go expecting that level of quality especially at higher ISOs! Although of course a NEX-7 would have a newer generation sensor and Nikon generally use Sony sensors, so who knows.
  • monkman76 20 Jul 2011 14:26:15 4,193 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Gregolution - I think if you want zoom range and flexibility, go G12/S95 etc, but if you're OK with prime lenses you can get down to almost that level of compactness with m4/3.

Personally, I'd choose a GF-1 or EP-1 with 20mm/1.7 (and maybe a wider prime) over the compacts.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last