Jazz Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 12:54:01 23,740 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can probably throw in random life experiences too - emotional ties due to events and songs happening at the same time that we might not even be consciously aware of. A dentist mangling your mouth while playing the best song in the world in the background might dull your appreciation for it some.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 12:57:45 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    True that, I have very fond memories of cheesy dance music from my youth due to the amount of good times I had listening to it.

You are a factory of sadness.

• UncleLou Moderator 25 Jan 2011 13:22:39 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I do like some jazz - just not that sort much. Better than the full on 'we're all playing different tunes' stuff by a mile though.

:)

That doesn't really exist, though. Or if it does, it's bad. It's especially the free/free-ish jazz where people play almost like a single organism, blindly understanding each other. It just might not sound like they do at first listen.
  • billythekid 25 Jan 2011 13:26:40 11,203 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, Fela Kuti was much better but still meh.
    I am going to give up with it, just not my thing obviously.

I'm now off to listen to something without trumpets or saxamaphones :)
  • MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 13:31:01 23,740 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    I do like some jazz - just not that sort much. Better than the full on 'we're all playing different tunes' stuff by a mile though.

:)

That doesn't really exist, though. Or if it does, it's bad. It's especially the free/free-ish jazz where people play almost like a single organism, blindly understanding each other. It just might not sound like they do at first listen.

I'm prepared to believe this =D
    It took me a long time to appreciate the nuances of heavy metal and classical music - they both all sounded very samey when I first started listening to them. The big difference being, I kinda liked the sound even before I appreciated the nuances. Free Jazz is definitely in the 'I hate this noise' category for me - it's my loss!

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Rufus 25 Jan 2011 13:38:27 1,754 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually really like Jamie Cullum's jazz show on radio two. He introduced me to this band:

The Bad Plus - Never Stop

They also did an awesome cover of Aphex Twin's 'Flim'!

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 13:53:29 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    billythekid wrote:

Meh to Fela Kuti? Bloody hell!

Okay, one last choice for you, Acoustic Ladyland, although they're pretty wild and have a saxaphone so probably not for you :-P

• boo 25 Jan 2011 14:05:34 11,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:

Here. Listen to this. East River by The Brecker Brothers

Just Another Lego Blog

• matt6666 25 Jan 2011 14:17:15 2,620 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kind of Blue sounds simple though.. A far cry from the noodly, 'i'm the shit!' stereotypical jazz stuff..

/Given away that i'm a massive authority.
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2011 15:32:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Oscar Peterson - 'We get Requests' is my fav. Jazz album ever. It's fairly obvious standards but it's so fecking good it hurts.
    Hey, I really like this too!

Someone needs to collect a definitive list of recommendations into the first post or something.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 15:39:18 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    matt6666 wrote:
    Kind of Blue sounds simple though.. A far cry from the noodly, 'i'm the shit!' stereotypical jazz stuff..

/Given away that i'm a massive authority.

Much of Kind of Blue is based on a two chord pattern within a modal structure (which basically means a manner of playing scales off another note than the root). It's a common thing as it frees up space for improvisation and it keeps the improvisation as simple or complicated as the musician wants it while keeping harmony. It is indeed not as complicated as many other pieces of jazz yet it takes skill to be that laid back. It was a reaction against the noteiness (for want of a better word) of Bebop and hardbop, well that's how I see it anyway.

• boo 26 Jan 2011 14:25:52 11,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    'We Get Requests' has arrived.

Now let's see if Jonsaan knows his onions...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Blerk Moderator 26 Jan 2011 14:51:07 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really liked it! Jonsaan ftw! :-D
  • Trafford 26 Jan 2011 14:58:39 5,885 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to listen to virtuoso stuff,like Charlie Parker and Chet Baker.Nice emotional stuff.
    Modern age not to sure.

I love the Mothers of Invention,have collected all their vinyl.Hot Rats, and Roxy and Elswhere for the Jazz/Rock fusion win.
  • boo 26 Jan 2011 15:57:55 11,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    'We Get Requests' has arrived.

Now let's see if Jonsaan knows his onions...

Yes. Yes he does.

Excellent work, that man!

Just Another Lego Blog

• coda 21 Mar 2011 22:50:04 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been getting into Colin Stetson lately, his new album New History Warfare Vol.2: Judges is superb!

Watch this vid of him performing.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2011 22:53:35
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12803125

one of my favourites from younger days
  • Deleted user 21 March 2011 22:57:59
    Martin Freeman?
  • Deleted user 21 March 2011 23:02:59
    Ooops, sry dude bad link, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpuHy5fVjCU
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Apr 2011 01:36:29 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    coda wrote:
    There's similar threads to this but they're mostly ancient so I figured it will be easier to start afresh with a shiny new thread.

My favourite current Jazz bands are both British, Portico Quartet and Polar Bear.

What kind of jazz does everyone else here enjoy?

*bump*

I've only just discovered* Portico - blimey, they are fantastic. Stunning sound.

*I should have checked your links way back when you made the thread, shame on me! :)
  • boo 22 Apr 2011 08:58:23 11,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou sounded so excited about the Portico Quartet I thought I'd go and have a look.
    Picked a youtube clip at random - Cittagazze, live at the Mercury awards - ruddy excellent!

Anybody suggest a good album to start with?

Just Another Lego Blog

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Apr 2011 10:23:11 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you have an emusic account, boo? While I prefer my music on physical albums, sometimes the prices are too tempting.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Portico-Quartet-Isla-MP3-Download/11659806.html

(Isla is the album I bought)
  • BravoGolf Moderator 22 Apr 2011 11:04:15 12,747 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still loving Don Ellis' work, his album 'Live at Monterey' is infinitely re-playable. I find his music in particular more layered and complex, his timing meters are often intricately and masterfully played.

See Don Ellis Orchestra - 33 222 1 222.
  • FuzzyDuck 3 Jun 2011 20:49:20 4,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bump!

Been working my way (in no particular order) through the 7 Weather Report albums i own. Started a few days ago with the obvious ("Heavy Weather") and have been giving "Black Market" multiple spins this evening, so that's gonna be in the hifi for the weekend at least.

Seeing as i'm utterly addicted to Teen Town at the minute, i might dig out Pastorius' self titled debut over the weekend before moving on to the older WP albums that he didn't feature on.
  • coda 3 Jun 2011 21:13:06 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    boo wrote:
    UncleLou sounded so excited about the Portico Quartet I thought I'd go and have a look.
    Picked a youtube clip at random - Cittagazze, live at the Mercury awards - ruddy excellent!

Anybody suggest a good album to start with?

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to your question, I haven't checked this thread in ages.

Basicially they have two LPs, Knee-deep In The North Sea, which is what Cittągazze is of and Isla. Both are very good albums and you should get both of them, but definitely start with Knee-deep.
  • boo 4 Jun 2011 00:48:34 11,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did (start with 'Knee Deep...') and it's excellent!

Just Another Lego Blog

• UncleLou Moderator 4 Jun 2011 00:58:55 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Recently discovered the JD Allen Trio - tenor sax, bass, drums - they've made 3 (similar) albums, most tracks are just 4 or 5 minutes. Allen sounds very much like Coltrane (just the sound of the horn), and they play deceptively simple, powerful stuff. Lots of groove, too. Love them.

Youtube is a bit sparse, but this one should give you an idea
  • sam_spade 22 Jul 2011 12:08:38 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pakistan orchestra takes on Jazz, sees a revival.
  • Lateralaus 15 Aug 2011 10:44:20 1,091 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've really gotten into Jazz recently due to listening to groups like The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz ensemble and Mount Fuji Doomjazz corporation.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of music similar to Koto Song by Dave Brubeck? I'm not really feeling the cheery Jazz if that makes sense but I absolutely love Koto Song.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last