Jazz Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• pinebear 25 Jan 2011 11:23:10 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I mostly like Oscar Peterson and Billy Taylor. Piano jazz is my favourite.

Then this will bring a nostalgic tear to your eye

• Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2011 11:24:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just queued it on Spotify out of curiosity. Sounds cool, good for programming to.

/jazz n00b
    /awaits life-changing moment
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 11:24:46 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I miss Barry Norman.

You are a factory of sadness.

• billythekid 25 Jan 2011 11:25:14 11,103 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    If you don't actually listen to it properly it might.

Do I have to get half cut and fill my darkened living room with cigarette smoke? :D
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 11:26:07 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Just queued it on Spotify out of curiosity. Sounds cool, good for programming to.

/jazz n00b

I hope that's not spotify with adverts in the middle as it will kind of wreck the mood quite a bit!

• MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 11:27:41 23,697 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goban wrote:

Er, yeah. Check out Mr. Sleep's response for a rational example of how to react for someone not gushing over something you like ;) Seriously, you can't see Frank Drebin at all when you listen to that? =D

I don't hate it, but it's not the sort of jazz I'd pay money for. I do like some jazz - just not that sort much. Better than the full on 'we're all playing different tunes' stuff by a mile though.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2011 11:28:58 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Blerk wrote:

/jazz n00b

I hope that's not spotify with adverts in the middle as it will kind of wreck the mood quite a bit!
    Sadly it is. I'm sure British Gas will be gentle.

Edit: glol! Literally one second after hitting 'post'..... There they are! :-D
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 11:35:13 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Goban wrote:

Er, yeah. Check out Mr. Sleep's response for a rational example of how to react for someone not gushing over something you like ;) Seriously, you can't see Frank Drebin at all when you listen to that? =D

I don't hate it, but it's not the sort of jazz I'd pay money for. I do like some jazz - just not that sort much. Better than the full on 'we're all playing different tunes' stuff by a mile though.

I should point out that I love Kind of Blue and it was one of my first jazz records but yeah, it's not for everyone.

I love listening to the "we're all playing different tunes" stuff but I have to be in the right mood. I can absolutely understand why it isn't for everyone. Most people into rock wont chose to listen to Trout Mask Replica more than once but I love it and as random as it seems there is a lot of ideas and themes and practice behind the whole thing. It's the same thing with a lot of free jazz as it's not just a bunch of people playing randomly, there is skill involved.

Oh and I was trying to find some Sun Ra weirdness but in the end I found this piece of awesome.

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 11:36:33 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Sadly it is. I'm sure British Gas will be gentle.

Edit: glol! Literally one second after hitting 'post'..... There they are! :-D

Hah :-D Well hopefully spotify will whet your appetite sufficiently for you to listen to it in a more salubrious setting.

• henro_ben 25 Jan 2011 11:39:03 2,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I'm always a bit baffled by music definitions. I love Tommy Dorsey, but is that more jazz or more swing? Either way, I seem to be stuck somewhere between 1920 and 1939 when it comes to jazz-type music.

Swing is a type of jazz. Personally I prefer the early stuff - pre 50's, when it was actually played as dance music. When you've got a proper big band playing live it's amazing how much energy there is in the music.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 11:40:55 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Duke Ellington is God.

• Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2011 11:42:35 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh man, I feel like I need a glass of wine!
  • MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 11:43:23 23,697 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mr. Sleep - I do understand that there's a lot of skill involved in those.
    Musical taste - a lot like sense of humour, incredibly subjective things. It's strange how music that absolutely fills me up can leave someone else cold or in loathing and vice versa.

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 11:52:01 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    @Mr. Sleep - I do understand that there's a lot of skill involved in those.
    Musical taste - a lot like sense of humour, incredibly subjective things. It's strange how music that absolutely fills me up can leave someone else cold or in loathing and vice versa.

Fair enough :-) A lot of people seem to think it's free so therefore they are just playing anything, which is sort of true but it misses out the complexity of thought and feeling that goes into it. Free jazz was just an evolution, not necessarily one that benefited the species ( ;-) ) but if you as a musician have investigated everything you can in bebop and modal and all those other styles then you have to move somewhere. Hence free jazz, there's a whole raft of philosophy behind it too.

It's true as you say, music is pretty subjective. There's probably various nature and nuture reasons for liking certain thing. Apparently, a lot of rhythms rely on a natural affinity to what is seen as our mums heartbeat and we're hard wired to find that comforting and it is suggested we respond to rhythms because of this. I'm sure there's many other reasons too.

Although I will say that I don't know a single woman who is into free jazz, or prog for that matter :-)

• MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 11:54:43 23,697 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Swing is a type of jazz. Personally I prefer the early stuff - pre 50's, when it was actually played as dance music. When you've got a proper big band playing live it's amazing how much energy there is in the music.

Yeah, that's the stuff I like =)
    I do like some of the more sedate stuff, but I can't think how to label it...
    This version of Summertime and Dark City's Sway.

• jonsaan 25 Jan 2011 12:02:42 25,342 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I unashamedly like dinner Jazz.

FCUTA!

• boo 25 Jan 2011 12:03:24 11,742 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:Most people into rock wont chose to listen to Trout Mask Replica more than once but I love it.

/runs screaming from the thread suffering post-traumatic stress disorder flashbacks

Don't make me listen to it again!

/curls up in foetal position and weeps

Just Another Lego Blog

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 12:08:36 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Mr Sleep wrote:Most people into rock wont chose to listen to Trout Mask Replica more than once but I love it.

/runs screaming from the thread suffering post-traumatic stress disorder flashbacks

:-D Dachau Blues! Dachau Blues!

That's right! The mascara snake, fast and bulbous.

• Cadence 25 Jan 2011 12:16:25 1,684 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Allan Holdsworth

My favourite jazz musician by far. Playing the guitar like that is akin to witchcraft in my book.
  • Cadence 25 Jan 2011 12:16:53 1,684 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    boo wrote:

:-D Dachau Blues! Dachau Blues!

That's right! The mascara snake, fast and bulbous.

Tight also!
  • MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 12:17:13 23,697 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Although I will say that I don't know a single woman who is into free jazz, or prog for that matter :-)

There are bound to be exceptions male and female, but it's maybe something to do with this sort of thing? Ignore the slightly sexist overtones of 'better' listening in that article though - just 'different' covers it.

• Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2011 12:21:04 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, "Kind of Blue" was kind of great. I'm all chilled out now and could possibly do with a nap.

Might work my way through some of the other recommendations after lunch. :-)
  • localnotail 25 Jan 2011 12:26:19 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Surely Everyone Digs Bill Evans?

My Dad is a big jazz fan, he's got yards of it on vinyl, has its own room. So I grew up listening to it, still do at times, mostly classic though, not really into seeking out new stuff although I rate my friend's Django-inspired band highly. I've been listening to Sketches of Spain this morning while deep in the grip of data entry. I like some prog. I like some jazz. I like some of pretty much everything (except crabcore)

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• billythekid 25 Jan 2011 12:27:39 11,103 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've listened to loads of links from this thread now and it has become pretty apparent to me that I have wasted 3. I'm never going to like jazz.
  • jonsaan 25 Jan 2011 12:29:29 25,342 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So cruel yet so fun.

FCUTA!

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 12:29:39 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Mr Sleep wrote:

There are bound to be exceptions male and female, but it's maybe something to do with this sort of thing? Ignore the slightly sexist overtones of 'better' listening in that article though - just 'different' covers it.

Yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions, it's pretty much an exception to like free jazz or prog so there being women who like it is highly likely. I was just speaking of personal experience.

I have to sign in to view that page you linked to, by the way.

That Allan Holdsworth reminds me of a lot of jazz I don't like. Just personal taste and all that. I went to see John McLaughlin a while back and it reminds me of that and I didn't enjoy it one bit. Although I did used to like The Inner Mounting Flame and his work on In a Silent Way is amazing. Jazz where guitar is the main solo instrument is generally pretty rubbish to these ears, too much noodle.

• Cadence 25 Jan 2011 12:33:37 1,684 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's a shame! I remember when I got into him when I was about 13 my mum used to often scream up to my room to turn it down because she said it sounded like a cat being strangled :) No accounting for taste I guess! Have you heard Extrapolation by John McLaughlin? That's a classic.
  • MetalDog 25 Jan 2011 12:38:59 23,697 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    I have to sign in to view that page you linked to, by the way.

Heh - bizarre, direct from google was alright. Upshot = men (mostly) activate the left side of the brain associated with language and listening when they hear music. Women activate that same area but (mostly) also activate right side brain areas associated with musical learning and spacial awareness.

I reckon minor variations in individual's brain-lighting-upness* would probably account for our tastes too, if you could track it well enough.

*sorry for all the high-minded jargon there

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 12:39:19 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    So cruel yet so fun.

I'll see that and raise you Paco De Lucia ;-)

I've not heard Extrapolation but I've pretty much gone off McLaughlin after listening to Birds of Fire, it took all the crap bits from Inner Mounting Flame and turned them up to eleven! I still want to get Live In San Francisco as what I've heard of that is pretty amazing. He was much better with an acoustic and I hate his DI effects pedal crap that he's doing now.

billythekid, you should try some afrobeat instead, like Fela Kuti, might be more up your street if traditional jazz doesn't do it for you. Or just give up and realise we are superior beings ;-)

• Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2011 12:44:26 16,930 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Heh - bizarre, direct from google was alright. Upshot = men (mostly) activate the left side of the brain associated with language and listening when they hear music. Women activate that same area but (mostly) also activate right side brain areas associated with musical learning and spacial awareness.

I reckon minor variations in individual's brain-lighting-upness* would probably account for our tastes too, if you could track it well enough.

*sorry for all the high-minded jargon there

That is interesting stuff. I do have a whole philosophical book on music and listening and all that stuff that I should dig through at some point, probably covers all this stuff. I reckon you're probably right about accounting for tastes too, to some degree. The thing is that some things are liked for their technical merit as well as interesting melodies and whatnot so perhaps that plays a part too. I know there's some music I hear and marvel at both the music and the technicality of it all.

• Page

of 6 First / Last