The all-new Premier League thread Page 4440

• Page

of 5671 First / Last

• Feanor 3 Jan 2014 17:48:18 14,185 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Couldn't even tell you who the best ref is these days, they all seem pretty bad.
    With regard to this, premiership refs, apparently get in the high 90s for percentage of correct decisions and 99% of offside decisions correct.

Its probably safe to say that we not only have the best football refs in the world but possibly the best officials of any sport.
    What the fuck makes you think that?
  • reddevil93 3 Jan 2014 17:50:25 12,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes kalel, United are shite, you've mentioned it once or twice. Anyway, I'll bitch about the Eto'o decision if that makes it okay for me to have a go at referees..

I just long for the days when football is talked about more than the flawed loan system...

• Deleted user 3 January 2014 17:52:05
    Good one. Not quite sure you're quite understanding the mechanics of a discussion there.
  • reddevil93 3 Jan 2014 17:56:58 12,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your view is 'refs are fine, move on'. Not really sure what's to be said back other than disagreeing.

• Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:00:03
    Say what you like, just don't see what points I've made in an entirely different discussion have got to do with anything.
  • reddevil93 3 Jan 2014 18:05:41 12,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sweet fuck all. Just seems odd that you're saying 'say what you like' while also saying you wish people wouldn't discuss refs. If you've no interest in what's being talked about then why bother comment. That's not having a go by the way, just don't see why you would waste your time.

• Syrette 3 Jan 2014 18:09:03 44,341 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any excuse to get in an argument tbh.

/popcorn

• Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:11:54
    Syrette wrote:
    Any excuse to get in an argument tbh.

/popcorn
    Irony.
  • Punctum 3 Jan 2014 18:12:27 1,045 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I actually thought the Welbeck one was a penalty and the Young one wasn't.

Anyway, where Young is concerned, his reputation will ensure most refereeing decisions are made pre-emptively for some time to come. Referees are only human, after all.

Edited by Punctum at 18:13:03 03-01-2014
  • TheSaint 3 Jan 2014 18:14:58 14,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I appreciate that the Young one may not be against the rules as they stand but what's the thinking behind the keeper having more of a right to follow through than any other player on the field?

Surely if a player arrives after the ball and takes the man then it's a foul?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:15:11
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Sweet fuck all. Just seems odd that you're saying 'say what you like' while also saying you wish people wouldn't discuss refs. If you've no interest in what's being talked about then why bother comment. That's not having a go by the way, just don't see why you would waste your time.
    I'm saying the solution to the problem being discussed is less focus (from the media, pundits etc) on refs. The narrative they create is always about decisions. They should IMO focus more on the game itself.

I'm not saying people in this thread should stop talking about it.

Edited by kalel at 18:17:17 03-01-2014
  • Bremenacht 3 Jan 2014 18:17:50 19,666 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Couldn't even tell you who the best ref is these days, they all seem pretty bad.
    With regard to this, premiership refs, apparently get in the high 90s for percentage of correct decisions and 99% of offside decisions correct.

Its probably safe to say that we not only have the best football refs in the world but possibly the best officials of any sport.

They get a lot of unjustified shit.
    Great post, and I'll emphasise that last line. It's not a coincidence that when a team plays poorly and loses, the fans seem to find the referee at fault.

How the referees get so much right when there are so many cheating cunt players out there, backed up surly managers and blind-spot fans, is quite amazing.
  • reddevil93 3 Jan 2014 18:21:11 12,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I appreciate that the Young one may not be against the rules as they stand but what's the thinking behind the keeper having more of a right to follow through than any other player on the field?

Surely if a player arrives after the ball and takes the man then it's a foul?
    Yep, the protection keepers, and to some extent defenders, get from referees is crazy. Tugging out of a player at a corner is good defending yet a forward trying to con a ref with a dive is appalling. That's not to say I agree with diving to any extent but I do have some sympathy for some players. I wonder what the ratio for frees out compared to penalties given at corners is, because god only knows it's almost always both players fouling.

• Bremenacht 3 Jan 2014 18:21:11 19,666 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I appreciate that the Young one may not be against the rules as they stand
    Is it definitely not? Surprised at that. Is that why Eto'o did not get penalised for taking out Suarez?
  • Syrette 3 Jan 2014 18:24:51 44,341 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Yep, the protection keepers, and to some extent defenders, get from referees is crazy.
    cough SKRTEL cough

• Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:25:25
    kalel wrote:
    I honestly think the best thing would be to just stop focusing so much on decisions and get on with things a bit more. Video replays will just result in even more navel gazing. Refs are better trained, equipped and prepared than ever before, and yet the better they are, the more we expect of them. I just long for the days when everyone talked about football more than refs after games. You'd think the Young penalty was the deciding factor in that game, but if United could have managed more than half a dozen shots on target it would have been a minor incident.
    If you have a video ref, you'd be able to do exactly that though. Game stops, video ref checks, call it and the game carries on. These discussions really exist because it's not the right calls being made.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:25:40
    Post deleted
  • reddevil93 3 Jan 2014 18:26:18 12,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    I'm saying the solution to the problem being discussed is less focus (from the media, pundits etc) on refs. The narrative they create is always about decisions. They should IMO focus more on the game itself.

I'm not saying people in this thread should stop talking about it.
    Its not going to stop though to be fair. It's the nature of football - bad officiating will have more of an influence on football than any other major sport in the world yet it's impossible to change without the game becoming more mechanised and, for lack of a better term, soulless.

So while it might be harsh giving out about referees it's going to continue while they play such a big role in the outcome of matches.

• Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:29:42
    It's not the nature of football. The focus on refs and their decisions is a relatively recent thing. It's come with better camera tech.

Not only that, but post match interviews with managers focus on refs because they love the controversy, and that in turn lets them go over the incidents again and again.

Again, this is why I long for the old days when they'd actually talk about football and tactics and such.

Edited by kalel at 18:31:20 03-01-2014
  • Syrette 3 Jan 2014 18:31:10 44,341 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    arials101 wrote:
    United under Moyes, still attractive to the top players.
    Can't believe he's 30 already. Roma have done well to hold on to him.

• nickthegun 3 Jan 2014 18:33:42 61,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IRT wrote:
    If you have a video ref, you'd be able to do exactly that though. Game stops, video ref checks, call it and the game carries on. These discussions really exist because it's not the right calls being made.
    Pertinent point bolded. Honestly, fuck that.

Theres nothing wrong with football as it is, leave it alone.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• reddevil93 3 Jan 2014 18:37:05 12,084 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    arials101 wrote:
    United under Moyes, still attractive to the top players.
    Quote taken out of context according to the interviewer. Won't stop the the headlines though as it does come across quite funny.

• Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:37:27
    kalel wrote:
    It's not the nature of football. The focus on refs and their decisions is a relatively recent thing. It's come with better camera tech.

Not only that, but post match interviews with managers focus on refs because they love the controversy, and that in turn lets them go over the incidents again and again.

Again, this is why I long for the old days when they'd actually talk about football and tactics and such.
    I'd say they went as the rules got tougher. A few years ago, players use to get away with some really ugly stuff. As the they got stomped out, the focus moved to what is and isn't allowed. Which is exactly where we're at right now. Every move and action under the microscope as people try to interpret if a players action is allowed or not...
  • faux-C 3 Jan 2014 18:39:05 9,653 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently the FA has a conviction rate of 99.5% against clubs, players and managers who face its disciplinary panel. I wonder what the %age is for refs.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:40:00
    nickthegun wrote:
    IRT wrote:

Like I previously stated though. The game stops now regardless. Why do you think it's rare to see a game have under 3 minutes of extra time despite no injures nowadays? The clock on the boards might not stop, but someone is recording those minutes between the whistle stopping and starting the game.

Edited by IRT at 18:42:56 03-01-2014
  • Punctum 3 Jan 2014 18:41:38 1,045 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    We could've got De Rossi for 12 million and end up with Fellaini for 28 million?

Jesus wept...
  • Trowel 3 Jan 2014 18:43:19 18,079 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    IRT wrote:

This. I can't think of anything more boring than constantly stopping a game just to check how far Young lept. Human error is half the entertainment in football, especially when it comes to dodgy decisions.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2014 18:45:39
    Bring in video replays and you open a whole new chapter in navel gazing about decisions - should they have used up that challenge then, was that one done just to waste time, wasn't it a shame that this player tricked the ref by diving so the manager had to unfairly use his last challenge etc etc.
  • Page

of 5671 First / Last