The all-new Premier League thread Page 4183

• Page

of 5557 First / Last

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 10:23:05 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having sat and watched international games with my dad for nigh on 30 years, I can confirm that you complain exactly the same amount about england the whole way through your life.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 11 October 2013 10:24:19
    King of the big diagonal
  • thedaveeyres 11 Oct 2013 10:30:21 11,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    King of the big diagonal
    Let's leave Charlie Adam out of this.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Oct 2013 10:34:51 39,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Excuse me Gerrard is not the king of anything. I think you'll find the king of any pass is Paul Scholes.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 11 October 2013 10:35:39
    He may end up back at your place if Stoke don't find a way to score.
  • TheSaint 11 Oct 2013 10:40:31 14,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As far as England is concerned I think Scholes is just the king of getting homesick and bottling it before his time.
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Oct 2013 10:41:50 39,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Being forced to play on the wing because we had to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard you mean.

• Shikasama 11 Oct 2013 13:15:29 7,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Harry's Game
    Presumably you giggled along with Mediawatch on Thursday when Steven Gerrard flat-out refuted Harry Redknapp's claim that he had received an enthusiastic text from the England captain backing him as manager. "I didn't text Harry Redknapp's personal phone. I have never had his number," said Gerrard. Hmmmm, who to believe?

Flying rather more under the radar was this story from Thursday's serialisation of Redknapp's book in the Daily Mail...

'One of my favourite signings, and not just from my Bournemouth days, was a striker called Carl Richards. I took him from Enfield and he was a real one-off. He was a big lad, and looked more like Carl Lewis. I bought Carl for 10,000, went to pick him up from Enfield and while he went in to say goodbye to his manager, he left me with his mate.

''What are you signing him for?' said this kid. 'I'm 10 times better than him. I've got 26 goals this season, he's only got 12. I'm different class than him. Why don't you sign me?' I was worried. 'I can't buy you, I'm buying him,' I told Carl's mate, 'but I'll keep an eye out for you, don't worry.'

'So we took Carl and he was absolutely useless. He could run, but that was about it. We played about six games, couldn't win one. Carl was terrible. After about four games of this, he came to see me. 'I've got a mate,' he said. 'He was asking if he could have a trial. He's a striker, like me.' 'And is he as good as you, Carl?' I asked, suspiciously. 'No, he's not as good as me,' he said, 'but he's decent.'

''Well, tell him not to f***ing bother then,' I snapped, and that was the end of it.

'The following Saturday, we went to play Crystal Palace. 'My mate, the one who wanted a trial, he's playing for Palace today,' said Carl. 'Oh good,' I thought. 'No problem there then.'

'Anyway, three goals later I realised Carl wasn't much of a scout, either. His mate's name? Ian Wright, who went on to score 238 league goals.'

What a cracking story. We can hear Harry cackling as he tells it, ending with a 'facking football, eh'.

Except, well, Carl Richards signed for Redknapp's Bournemouth in 1986, a whole year after Ian Wright had joined Crystal Palace. Oh and Palace didn't play Bournemouth until the 1987/88 season...by which time this 'unknown' Ian Wright was deep into his third, very successful season with the Eagles.

Harry Redknapp's autobiography is out soon: Available in all good bookshops in the 'Fiction' department.
    Hah, the snippets from his biography I've read have all been utterly ridiculous.
  • imamazed 11 Oct 2013 14:02:32 5,825 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like to think if Joe Kinnear wrote an autobiography he would go full retard and claim he won the world cup with Sierra Leone
  • askew 11 Oct 2013 14:14:42 12,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It'd be stories of him and Wenger livin' it large.
  • RedSparrows 11 Oct 2013 14:28:13 23,428 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    I like to think if Joe Kinnear wrote an autobiography he would go full retard and claim he won the world cup with Sierra Leone
    I'd buy it.
  • LionheartDJH 11 Oct 2013 14:41:12 19,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    King of the fat arsed clumsy oaf never winning the ball tackle
    Let's leave Charlie Adam out of this.
    Fixed!

She dives for cheese pasties

• TheSaint 11 Oct 2013 14:57:01 14,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who exactly are the target audience for a book like Redknapp's? I can see the appeal of reading an autobiography 'written' by a long standing player but managers are rarely at any club for more than a couple of years.
  • convz 11 Oct 2013 15:07:03 377 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem is that, after nearly 15 years, 'how do you play them both in the same team?' has tainted both their england careers.

But, yeah, what you wouldnt give for a FM style regen for frank lampard.
    I think he's one of those players people were talking about a couple of pages back, someone who works incredibly hard, stays behind after training etc and damn it's paid off, especially for someone who may not necessarily be the most naturally gifted footballer.

When you look at the youngsters coming through, I can't see anyone that really stands out as being the next Beckham or even the next Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes - Wilshere is probably the closest, but his attitude doesn't seem quite right at the moment. I know he's still young though, so hopefully that will change!

I know Lukaku has got a lot of praise recently, not just for his attitude on the pitch but also for his attitude off it. Everton have some great English youngsters too so hopefully it rubs off!
  • convz 11 Oct 2013 15:08:32 377 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Who exactly are the target audience for a book like Redknapp's? I can see the appeal of reading an autobiography 'written' by a long standing player but managers are rarely at any club for more than a couple of years.
    I think you'd be surprised tbh, I can see the book doing very. 'Arry's a bit of a character, and in some ways he's actually quite likeable/charasmatic - I think a lot of people will want to hear what he has to say.

(edit) that's not to say the book is going to actually be any good, in fact quite the opposite based on the snippets so far!

Edited by convz at 15:11:04 11-10-2013
  • RedSparrows 11 Oct 2013 15:09:30 23,428 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    There are people who are great personalities regardless of how many clubs they did/didn't play for/be involved with. Redknapp isn't one.
  • TheSaint 11 Oct 2013 15:12:34 14,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it's essentially a stocking filler for idiots then.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 15:25:04 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its *exactly* the kind of book my mates wife will buy, skim through and then put on the bookshelf that contains nothing but celebrity biographies.

• THFourteen 11 Oct 2013 15:26:12 33,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /looks at bookshelf of autobiographies

whats your mates name again?
  • JuanKerr 11 Oct 2013 15:27:51 36,365 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bet loads of footballers definitely write their own autobiographies.
  • imamazed 11 Oct 2013 15:29:46 5,825 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has Joey Barton released one? Is it comprised solely of introspective haikus and CCTV pictures of assaults?
  • Shikasama 11 Oct 2013 15:35:39 7,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I bet loads of footballers definitely write their own autobiographies.
    It's why you get media darlings, they don't want to destroy a cushy ghost writing gig a few years down the line.

Big one that comes to mind is Olly Holt (twat) and Frank Lampard. Cue all of his #pray4frank during the AVB tenure and his OUTRAGE that Frank hadn't been given a new contract at Chelsea.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 15:45:55 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    /looks at bookshelf of autobiographies

whats your mates name again?
    Im pretty sure you couldnt top her collection. Theres a heady mix of sporting biographies rubbing shoulders with three books about Jordan, some shit by shane richie and the susan boyle one.

Honestly, if they are a crap celeb, she has their life story.

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Oct 2013 15:46:40 39,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do English players play too much football?

Every major league in Europe has the same number teams.

Do they all have 2 cup competitions?

They all play the same amount of friendlies.

So what's the difference?

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 15:48:46 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A good bunch of them play over here, so play the same amount of games our players do.

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Oct 2013 15:49:59 39,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Basically it's a shit excuse isn't it?

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 15:50:21 11-10-2013

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2013 15:52:14 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair...... a lot of the major nations have looked tired over the last few tournaments. Holland, france, porthugaaaal...

• Deleted user 11 October 2013 15:55:05
    yep imo.
  • Shikasama 11 Oct 2013 16:02:36 7,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Arguments about too much football fall flat in the face of all of these players jetting off on post-season tours immediately after the season ends.

Quite aside from the fact that most players play a similar amount of games anyway.
  • TheSaint 11 Oct 2013 16:10:16 14,634 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who is even making this excuse or is MCM just musing?
  • Page

of 5557 First / Last