The all-new Premier League thread Page 4114

• Page

of 5258 First / Last

• Syrette 18 Sep 2013 22:52:06 43,107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saying "I want to knock someone out" and actually meaning it are two different things, homie.

Edited by Syrette at 22:53:12 18-09-2013

• King_Edward 18 Sep 2013 23:04:55 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ashley Williams is a cunt. His leg was high, and his studs were up. In spite of this, Coutinho still injured himself diving.
  • SaucyGeoff 18 Sep 2013 23:33:12 2,560 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Saying "I want to knock someone out" and actually meaning it are two different things, homie.
    I think a lot of people would fork out the cash for pay per view to watch Williams vs Suarez in the ring.

Tackle was cynical, and deserved the yellow it got, but hardly dangerous. Wasn't much force involved. Coutihno needs to work on his landings if he's going to launch himself into the air like that again.
  • Punctum 18 Sep 2013 23:39:19 932 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Trowel wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:

Really think there's should be a case for that being a red card. No idea what law it would be under but it seems ridiculous that you can stay on the pitch after such a deliberate attempt to injure.
    You're right - should get a straight red for a dive like that, never mind deliberately attempting to injure yourself at the same time.
    What a dickhead! Already screaming even before any contact.
  • TheSaint 19 Sep 2013 00:10:02 14,201 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice dive, Ashley Young would have been proud.
  • FWB 19 Sep 2013 00:17:42 43,853 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Brilliant Basel
    Basel's victory was the first win by a Swiss side in 20 competitive visits to England. The previous winners were FC Luzern who triumphed 2-0 at Tottenham in the 1995 UEFA Intertoto Cup.
    Breaking records, Mourinho.
  • kalel 19 Sep 2013 06:16:47 86,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Laughable to suggest that tackle is a red card. Hardly touched him.
  • Orange 19 Sep 2013 08:53:40 4,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rafa:
    Chelsea 8-0 Villa
    Man Utd 0-1 Chelsea
    Everton 1-2 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3-1 Basel

Jose:
    Chelsea 2-1 Villa
    Man Utd 0-0 Chelsea
    Everton 1-0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 1-2 Basel
  • Kosmoz 19 Sep 2013 08:55:53 7,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So judging from sky news, on the tv at work on mute, Arsenal have just signed Matthew Fox from Lost. He is being interviewed wearing an Arsenal tracksuit.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• nickthegun 19 Sep 2013 09:47:43 58,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Williams should be commended for his quick reactions in realising he had the perfect opportunity to kick him in the knackers.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• faux_carnation 19 Sep 2013 11:39:38 9,079 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    He hardly touches him to begin with, but then being Ashley Williams and realising his mistake, he deliberately kicks out at him instead of withdrawing his foot.

Like I say I don't think it's a red card, but it should be. I still find it crazy that people are more upset about diving "ruining the game" than they are about dangerous/bad/malicious tackles.

Boatmurdered FC

• kalel 19 Sep 2013 11:42:43 86,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Like I say I don't think it's a red card, but it should be.
    This sentence doesn't really make sense to me.

I think you're seeing malice that isn't there. It looks a bit weird in slow motion and viewed through the filter of retrospect, but in real time it was completely innocuous.
  • faux_carnation 19 Sep 2013 11:46:19 9,079 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:

I think you're seeing malice that isn't there. It looks a bit weird in slow motion and viewed through the filter of retrospect, but in real time it was completely innocuous.
    All I mean is that under the rules as they stand it's not a red card, but I would make that kind of challenge a red if it were up to me.

You could be right that it was innocuous, but Williams has previous, as we all know, and I'm really very annoyed that Coutinho is out for 6 weeks. I make no claim to be rational about this.

Boatmurdered FC

• Mr_Sleep 19 Sep 2013 11:55:15 16,852 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Under the rules of generic punditry that tackle was fine as he got the ball. Basically you can practically kill someone as long as you get the ball.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 19 Sep 2013 11:56:28 86,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If there was malice and intent to hurt, then it would have been a red under the rules.

But yeah, you concede you're not being rational, so wevs :)
  • Blotto 19 Sep 2013 12:21:29 2,724 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In terms of "malice" in ranks in the same category of pulling someone down whilst they're breaking dangerously through the middle. Foul. Yellow card.

It was hardly going to hurt him, the only reason he got hurt was he didn't think Williams was actually going to leave his leg in so dived ridiculously. Karma came around and he injured himself.
  • TheMilkman 19 Sep 2013 12:49:19 195 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's not a red card but you can't put your foot up to midriff height and call it 'innocuous'. It's bad defending.

Williams had been dying to do something like that all night, kicking off at Gerrard and pushing him around in the first half and then going off at Henderson just before he cropped Coutinho.

I remember both commentators actually saying at the time he should've been sent off, which I don't agree with, but it wasn't an innocuous challenge at all. What Coutinho is trying to do there though is laughable and hopefull he's learned his lesson.
  • FWB 19 Sep 2013 13:29:25 43,853 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice to see that all our players will be wearing the rainbow laces this weekend.
  • Punctum 19 Sep 2013 13:35:46 932 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:

All I mean is that under the rules as they stand it's not a red card, but I would make that kind of challenge a red if it were up to me.

You could be right that it was innocuous, but Williams has previous, as we all know, and I'm really very annoyed that Coutinho is out for 6 weeks. I make no claim to be rational about this.
    It's Coutinho's fault though. If he hadn't dramatised his dive so risibly, he wouldn't be injured.

To be annoyed with that is perfectly rational.
  • TheSaint 19 Sep 2013 13:37:39 14,201 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The rainbow laces thing is strange. Good cause and all but surely they could have come up with something better than that.
  • kalel 19 Sep 2013 13:49:35 86,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    The rainbow laces thing is strange. Good cause and all but surely they could have come up with something better than that.
    The bigger issue is the "Right Behind Footballers" thing.

It's a tricky. By introducing a touch of humour you help the campaign gain traction with an audience would probably largely ignore it otherwise, but at the same time you reinforce certain stereotypes and the message that this isn't really something to be taken seriously.

All in all I think the whole thing has been poorly executed, but the intent is good.
  • Blaketown 19 Sep 2013 13:56:19 4,636 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saw that "Right Behind Footballers" thing on a Paddy Power ad in the Metro this morning and wondered if it was intentional.

Paddy Power have a history of doing things to cause controversy to gain traction in the media. The intent is most likely purely that.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• mikew1985 19 Sep 2013 13:59:58 12,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RE Williams and Coutinho. Am I the only one who thinks it's barely a foul Nevermind a card? I mean from that gif it looks like Williams gets the ball quite clearly, following which Coutinho dives into and over his outstretched leg.
  • grey_matters 19 Sep 2013 14:47:36 3,676 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Saw that "Right Behind Footballers" thing on a Paddy Power ad in the Metro this morning and wondered if it was intentional.

Paddy Power have a history of doing things to cause controversy to gain traction in the media. The intent is most likely purely that.
    Thought the slogan was a poor idea initially and still do to an extent. However sometimes ice needs to be broken to get things moving and with football lagging behind the rest of society on this issue it may yet open the gates to a more mature campaign/discussion in the near future. Keep Paddy Power away from the next one though.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Sep 2013 14:48:12 16,852 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    RE Williams and Coutinho. Am I the only one who thinks it's barely a foul Nevermind a card? I mean from that gif it looks like Williams gets the ball quite clearly, following which Coutinho dives into and over his outstretched leg.
    You are a generic pundit aicm5p!

You are a factory of sadness.

• Orange 19 Sep 2013 15:22:38 4,669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Coutinho injured himself by exaggerating the fall so much. It's his shoulder which needs treatment.
  • Dougs 19 Sep 2013 15:44:32 66,713 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Living the dream:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24158900

CBA to find another thread.
  • nickthegun 19 Sep 2013 15:58:16 58,851 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You wonder what he was waiting for, tbh. His uncle has been head coach for three years now.

Good lad, though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 5258 First / Last