The all-new Premier League thread Page 4080

• Page

of 5545 First / Last

• TheSaint 4 Sep 2013 15:56:42 14,602 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's so funny it should have a health warning.
  • Psychotext 4 Sep 2013 15:57:20 54,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    And puerile. And wrong. Arsene Wenger still holds much gravitas in the game (especially worldwide) and is far more appealing to play for than David Moyes.
    I could see the attraction in Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger, Mancini, Ancelotti... but Moyes? Not so much.
  • THFourteen 4 Sep 2013 16:02:19 33,819 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I suspect he's talking bollocks anyway. I hate these journos who claim to have incredibly intimate knowledge of the details of phone conversations and all that. It's such shit.
    You didn't follow the News International phone hacking scandal then?
  • Steve_Perry 4 Sep 2013 16:02:36 4,537 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The point with Moyes is that he brings stability which the club see as the key ingredient to Fergie's success.

The only other person who fitted the bill was Wenger himself and you've probably got more chance of seeing god than that ever happening.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Feanor 4 Sep 2013 16:23:51 14,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Punctum wrote:
    And puerile. And wrong. Arsene Wenger still holds much gravitas in the game (especially worldwide) and is far more appealing to play for than David Moyes.
    I could see the attraction in Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger, Mancini, Ancelotti... but Moyes? Not so much.
    The Everton guys seemed to like him.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Sep 2013 16:27:45 14,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    The point with Moyes is that he brings stability which the club see as the key ingredient to Fergie's success.
    Let's give him a few more than 3 games before saying he brings stability.
  • nickthegun 4 Sep 2013 16:28:42 60,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If being in a job for a long time was the chief criteria, they should have got Ken Barlow.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 4 Sep 2013 16:28:42 60,425 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blarp

Edited by nickthegun at 16:28:53 04-09-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 4 Sep 2013 16:29:00 44,503 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry for acting like some twitter relay feed, but interesting read on the transfer window.

Edit: Luis Suarez setting a transfer record ... in 1961?

Edited by LeoliansBro at 16:31:16 04-09-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Psychotext 4 Sep 2013 16:36:49 54,391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    The Everton guys seemed to like him.
    I'm sure he's a terribly nice fellow when you get to know him... but I just can't see people moving half way across the world because they want to be a part of one of his teams.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Sep 2013 16:47:27 39,467 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So what you're all saying is MOYES OUT after 3 games and one disastrous transfer window?

Yeah, I thought this is how it would work. Bit lame really.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• The-Bodybuilder 4 Sep 2013 16:56:18 14,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    So what you're all saying is MOYES OUT after 3 games and one disastrous transfer window?

Yeah, except that's not what anyone said. At all.

We simply making a comment on what is a quite obvious obserbation. In fact that's exactly what we were saying when he was first selected, so there's utterly nothing new there to claim we're chanting "MOYES OUT" especially when the rest of us would be delighted he stays.

As for the transfer window? Is anyone even blaming Moyes for that?
  • Shikasama 4 Sep 2013 17:08:49 6,958 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think more important with regards to the transfer window, is that I can't get Ozil in my team without getting rid of Van Persie.

Risky.
  • Punctum 4 Sep 2013 18:02:33 943 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Globally, David Moyes is not recognised as having the same quality as the likes of Wenger, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelloti, even AVB. I don't think recognising this fact as contributing factor to Utd's lack of success in the window is reactionary or alludes to the want of his dismissal.
  • FWB 4 Sep 2013 18:18:11 44,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Globally, David Moyes is not recognised as having the same quality as the likes of Wenger, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelloti, even AVB. I don't think recognising this fact as contributing factor to Utd's lack of success in the window is reactionary or alludes to the want of his dismissal.
    How was Fergie first viewed when he turned up?

Money buys success. How would Mourinho or Wenger do at Everton? Utd are still the biggest brand in football. David has been there for three games and I think to make any judgement of him so far is rather bizarre. Doing so sounds like a plastic whose attention to the game has been corrupted by money and the promise of quick, bought success.

(Not geared at you, just a general comment.)

Edited by FWB at 18:18:46 04-09-2013

Edited by FWB at 18:19:49 04-09-2013
  • Punctum 4 Sep 2013 18:43:05 943 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FWB wrote:
    How was Fergie first viewed when he turned up?

Money buys success. How would Mourinho or Wenger do at Everton? Utd are still the biggest brand in football. David has been there for three games and I think to make any judgement of him so far is rather bizarre. Doing so sounds like a plastic whose attention to the game has been corrupted by money and the promise of quick, bought success.

(Not geared at you, just a general comment.)

Edited by FWB at 18:18:46 04-09-2013
    I imagine Fergie's stock was significantly higher than Moyes when he first arrived at Utd, as with Aberdeen he had broken the stranglehold of Rangers and Celtic and won the league. He also managed to win the Cup Winners Cup, defeating Real Madrid in the final. As such, I'm sure he was viewed very favourably when he turned up.

If it was all about the 'money and the promise of quick, bought success', why did Ozil choose Arsenal over PSG?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking Moyes as a manager (and if it takes 2 or 3 years without trophies for him to establish 'his' Utd, so be it), but the Moyes reputation doesn't possess the same allure as other managers competing for the same elite group of players. This should have been addressed by the club. Perhaps the appointment of a figurehead technical director could have helped lessen the blow of losing David Gill at the same time as Fergie. Or they could've just pinched Baldini from Spurs.

The whole transfer window for United was a farce, especially compared to the likes of Man City and Spurs.
  • oceanmotion 4 Sep 2013 18:43:58 16,001 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lets not forget Fergie didn't always get who he wanted and the midfield problem was many years under his watch. I think that was the difference between two Champions Leagues rather than three or four.

Should be an interesting transfer window when Man U are 6th at Christmas. :p

Edited by oceanmotion at 18:46:53 04-09-2013
  • FWB 4 Sep 2013 18:48:56 44,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like Ozil was pushed to Arsenal.

Of course not everyone follows money and success, but are you really saying most don't? For every example of someone being noble, there are ten of them grabbing the money and running.
  • Punctum 4 Sep 2013 19:02:28 943 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FWB wrote:
    Sounds like Ozil was pushed to Arsenal.

Of course not everyone follows money and success, but are you really saying most don't? For every example of someone being noble, there are ten of them grabbing the money and running.
    I think your ratio is correct, but if the manager has an excellent reputation and/or the technical director is a respected figure (Zidane?) the chances of a player wanting to sign are increased.
  • FWB 4 Sep 2013 19:07:22 44,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ohh yeah of course. Hence I wasn't having a go at you in particular.

Valid point about Fregie and Aberdeen, so I'll concede that. I think Moyes needs a fair amount of time. Three games and even a dodgy transfer deadline - who knows how much control he has, plus he doesn't really know the team so probably doesn't really know what he needs - are not enough to even begin to judge him in my opinion.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2013 19:07:41
    How fergie was viewed when he turned up is irrelevant as they were a bit shit and had had Ron Atkinson as their manager. Standards are a bit higher now and Moyes has to show he can do something with a team that walked the league last year quickly and not finish 5th (which they will when Persie gets injured).
  • oceanmotion 4 Sep 2013 19:28:31 16,001 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If the other teams actually improve it will be tough for Moyes. Last season was underwhelming, the top 6 were mince which kinda handed it on a plate to Van Persie and co.
  • Dougs 4 Sep 2013 19:43:44 68,377 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fergie was a European trophy winner though. British football didn't have the reach or following it has now though.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Sep 2013 20:07:03 13,697 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snippet from Rogers that Suarez will be pushed out to the wing on returning. Can't say whether he will like it or not, but it is the best place for him to play in the current setup. It's fluid enough to be interchangeable right now too.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Youthist 4 Sep 2013 20:51:49 10,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They must, surely keep Sturridge up top and being told "keep doing that". When he is on the field with Donkey Teeth being told the same thing they just get in each others way.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 4 Sep 2013 20:52:40 10,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 4 Sep 2013 20:53:11 10,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    If the other teams actually improve it will be tough for Moyes. Last season was underwhelming, the top 6 were mince which kinda handed it on a plate to Van Persie.
    small adjustment required

• FWB 4 Sep 2013 20:59:54 44,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's going to have to learn how to pass if he plays there.
  • Bremenacht 4 Sep 2013 21:43:49 18,707 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    I imagine Fergie's stock was significantly higher than Moyes when he first arrived at Utd, as with Aberdeen he had broken the stranglehold of Rangers and Celtic and won the league. He also managed to win the Cup Winners Cup, defeating Real Madrid in the final. As such, I'm sure he was viewed very favourably when he turned up.
    Didn't the fans want him gone within a year, for lack of success? Or was it two?

Good job (for ManU) that fans didn't have a say in that decision.
  • Page

of 5545 First / Last