The all-new Premier League thread Page 3712

• Page

of 5470 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 24 Jun 2013 11:32:53 17,951 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And he's also got players who were previously punchlines playing better, like Henderson.

Lord knows I like to make fun of Liverpool, but I think Rodgers is building a decent side. They're not going to win the title anytime soon, but I doubt they'll be floating around the "who cares?" places again.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 11:35:26 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Borini has been held back by injury, but still a pretty bit question mark for me, and Struridge has a lot of convincing to do in terms of his consistency.

That's 22m right there, which could look like money wasted, especially when you consider the loss he's prepared to take on Carroll.

I don't think he's been in the same league of wasteful as Kenny (who has), but I wouldn't say he's spent well yet.
  • RedSparrows 24 Jun 2013 11:43:05 22,680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I forgot about Borini, who has been injured.

Sturridge may well fall away, but did very, very well for half a season.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 11:47:34 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember him getting off to a very good start, but he seemed to falter after that iirc.
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 12:04:45 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah there is a certain amount of revisionism going on about BR's transfer dealings because of Coutinho.

Sturridge did exactly what a lot of people said he would do...start off really well then get bored and completely disapear. I think his form picked up again in the last few games from memory though?
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 12:22:21 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's another one to me that looked like a world beater against shit sides, but went missing in the games Liverpool really needed to be winning to move up the table.

Story of their season generally.

I think he's buying well enough, and there's some good prospects there, but Mkhitaryan is the only one that has really raised an eyebrow for me. Is that actually happening or what?
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 12:29:20 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is his career defining season, really. Hes either going to step up to it or spend the rest of his career pissing about in relegation battles, scoring six or seven a season.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 12:31:31 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually meant Coutinho there, but yeah, same goes for Sturridge and even Suarez frankly.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 12:34:45 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After his repeated 'come and get me' pleas, i would be very surprised if he was still there at the start of the season.

I say 'suprised' but it wouldnt be the biggest shock for Liverpool to bend over and take it, again.

'We dont mind you courting Real, Luis. Please dont leave us'

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 12:36:29 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, I think he's gone.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 12:37:49 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Call of Suarez "COME AND GET ME, REAL"

• mikeck 24 Jun 2013 12:38:01 1,936 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Shikasama He had a very good finish to the season (my fantasy team scores attest to that).
  • robc84 24 Jun 2013 12:47:00 5,619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mikeck Wasn't that due to that one game where he scored a hat trick though? Can't remember who against mind.

Thing with sturridge is that he is clearly a good player on his day, but he seems almost comically selfish at times. It's like watching a kid at school running towards goal with his head down. It's not necessarily a bad trait for a striker, but to me, it seems like he needs to get his head up and look a for a better a placed team mate sometimes.

That said, I think he'll have a good season this year, especially if suarez leaves.
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 13:00:01 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Someone on the Mailbox on F365 made a good point about Suarez/Real in that the vast majority of it comes from Suarez.

When Real want someone they mobilize their forces and you can see it with Real. They say very little about Suarez.
  • Widge Moderator 24 Jun 2013 13:02:54 13,573 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Thing with sturridge is that he is clearly a good player on his day, but he seems almost comically selfish at times. It's like watching a kid at school running towards goal with his head down. It's not necessarily a bad trait for a striker, but to me, it seems like he needs to get his head up and look a for a better a placed team mate sometimes.
    At one time Liverpool were dominating possession and then not doing anything with it. Having someone to actually step up and try and do something with it is a boon in my book.

As mentioned earlier, the way Liverpool coped without Suarez was hugely heartening. It was as if there wasn't even a cog missing. That sort of stuff has been missing.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• robc84 24 Jun 2013 13:04:07 5,619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Maybe all the Bale talk is a distraction so they can sneakily sign suarez without any fuss.

Think thats a bit hopeful though
  • robc84 24 Jun 2013 13:08:10 5,619 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, like I said it can be a good trait trait for a striker (defoe has similar characteristics). Its just I've seen a couple of times with Sturridge that he should have got his head up and played a simple pass to a team mate in acres of space.

To be honest, I haven't seen enough of him to know if he has the balance right or not. Just an observation.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 13:09:25 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I honestly think a deal has been done for Suarez on the quiet. It would certainly explain why Liverpool are quickly and quietly making lots of signings.
  • mikeck 24 Jun 2013 13:20:41 1,936 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @robc84 He did have one cracking game as you say, but there were a few games where he was very busy up-front, assisted, and scored a few goals too.

I do rate him, and think he'll do very well this coming season.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Jun 2013 13:53:21 14,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    They're interesting signings. Seems likely that at least some of those are quite shrewd.

I do have a feeling though that the Suarez deal is basically done, and they're quietly spending the money before the prices go up accordingly.
    I'm sure that's true, and if so, it's smart business practice.

None of the transfers so far have got the pulse racing, and I'm always wary of these Barcelona "B" team players, especially those who aren't offered new deals by the club. IF the rumours are true and we have 20m plus the Suarez money, then I can only hope we have at least two more quality players due in.
    I'm a bit sceptical of Barcelona B strikers tbh. There are some of their striking players that have potential to go one to do well even if they don't make it (kiko femenia is one), but this guy Liverpool has just signed hasn't even got decent scoring stats for that division.

Would hoover up any of their midfielders though. Ain't that right, Arsene?
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 13:59:05 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think not being taken up by one of the greatest teams on the planet is a decent stick to beat a player with though.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 14:05:28 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Especially as they've got Messi and Neymar signed up until 2018.

Still, fair point about the goals. Didn't Bojan have 500 goals for the Bs or something, and he's hardly set the world on fire.
  • Lamb 24 Jun 2013 14:09:37 474 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What about the Kumars dont they have any great players for any team to sign up? :p :D
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Jun 2013 14:33:36 14,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think he's buying well enough, and there's some good prospects there, but Mkhitaryan is the only one that has really raised an eyebrow for me. Is that actually happening or what?
    Well according to himself on facebook, he went on a massive rant claiming everything said in the media about him going to liverpool was bobbins and he has no intention to leave, but if Shakh do want to sell him, he want be speaking to anyone in the media anyways.

kalel wrote:
    Especially as they've got Messi and Neymar signed up until 2018.

Still, fair point about the goals. Didn't Bojan have 500 goals for the Bs or something, and he's hardly set the world on fire.
    Indeed.
    I think judging Barca B strikers is different from their midfielders. By and large, a midfielder with a strong technical ability can usually be moulded into something else, or still be good but not good enough for Barca. But then, there is Fran Merida.

However if you're a striker and you're not lighting it up in the Segunda B league, then it really doesn't bode well. As stated, this is a club that had both Bojan tearing it up and also Gui Assulin (remember him? "poached" by City on a free, now nowhere to be seen) as the "next messi" yet neither made the grade, yet this liverpool striker was let go of without a fight and with a stat that is pretty average all around, can't say I hold much breath for him.

Just seems like when you're playing FIFA with a team on a small budget and after buying your main targets, you decide to use what little of your money you have on getting whoever's available for Barca B in the hope they become decent.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 14:38:55 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dos Santos as well. In fact he was scoring goals for the As and still turned out to be shite.
  • LionheartDJH 24 Jun 2013 14:42:26 19,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fan lists player for sale on eBay.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Mr_Sleep 24 Jun 2013 14:43:38 17,064 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Dos Santos as well. In fact he was scoring goals for the As and still turned out to be shite.
    Curious thing is that he always looks rather brilliant for his national side though.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 14:44:42 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's the Mexican Darius Vassel.
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2013 14:46:35 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Fan lists player for sale on eBay.
    Pft, it was funny when Newcastle fans did it for Keiron Dyer.
  • roz123 24 Jun 2013 14:49:11 7,113 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember seeing Dos Santos playing at Stamford Bridge, must have been his first season at Spurs and he was utter shit, one of the worst performance I have seen from one player. He didn't look interested and kept on falling over. I think he was taken off at half time.
  • Page

of 5470 First / Last