The all-new Premier League thread Page 3693

• Page

of 5251 First / Last

• nickthegun 17 Jun 2013 15:16:03 58,784 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I've just realised Peter Taylor is in charge of England under 20s. WTF? Why on earth do we have Pearce managing the under 21s, and the vastly more experienced and successful Peter Taylor managing the under 20s?
    Because Pearce appears to be far better at licking peoples arseholes.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Commander-Keen 17 Jun 2013 15:16:46 806 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm amazed that Joe Kinnear hasn't been appointed England manager yet, to be honest. What with his bright head, and wealth of knowledge about tactics and strategy.

When will the FA wake up, eh?
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 15:17:52 86,344 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Under 20s team also seems to have a lot of very good players in it with loads of potential, who surely could have played a part in the under 21s.
  • Commander-Keen 17 Jun 2013 15:20:58 806 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kalel TBH, I'm not sure of the way all the teams are structured above a certain age.

Makes more sense to pool talent by ability, rather than by age in a mandatory way above, say 16 years old.

I'm not really clear on the advantage of having a U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 team at national level, all of which end coaches and game time, etc.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Jun 2013 15:22:23 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hate the phrase "Football People" used in the context of qualifying somebodys opinion.

It always makes me laugh when supposedly journeymen players who are making a living as pundits indicate that playing the game gives them profound insight into Lionel Messis talent that the general public have no clue about.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 15:22:53 17-06-2013
  • President_Weasel 17 Jun 2013 15:26:07 8,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I hate the phrase "Football People" used in the context of qualifying somebodys opinion.

It always makes me laugh when supposedly journeymen players who are making a living as pundits indicate that playing the game gives them profound insight into Lionel Messis talent that the general public have no clue about.
    You take that back! Andy Townsend is among the best in the world, the world!, at watching something happen and then describing it to Cive Tyldesly.

You think some mook off the street could say "what he's done there, Clive, is he's done a short pass and then the player's hit it first time into the goal"? I think not!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Jun 2013 15:27:58 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :D Exactly who I was thinking of tbh.
  • HarryPalmer 17 Jun 2013 15:37:17 3,107 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "He's not hit the ball hard enough there, for me."
  • graysonavich 17 Jun 2013 15:40:27 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't forget to stay deafly silent until the umpteenth slow motion replay before you can start calling the referee out on a bad call.
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 15:42:31 86,344 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, Zidane's latest comment on Bale. How is that not tapping up? If that isn't against the rules, then I truly don't understand what is.

"I think Real Madrid have made their admiration of Gareth Bale very clear - and it has been made clear that we would not be put off by the cost of the player,"

"But if Gareth feels now is the time to move then he has to have a private discussion with his club and express that he wants to leave."
  • Commander-Keen 17 Jun 2013 15:54:26 806 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    So, Zidane's latest comment on Bale. How is that not tapping up? If that isn't against the rules, then I truly don't understand what is.

"I think Real Madrid have made their admiration of Gareth Bale very clear - and it has been made clear that we would not be put off by the cost of the player,"

"But if Gareth feels now is the time to move then he has to have a private discussion with his club and express that he wants to leave."
    Maybe something to do with our "special relationship" with Madrid?

But yeah. I'd love to see what would happen is we reported them for tapping up. Actually, no I wouldn't. Because it would be fuck all. And they're just trying to get the player to hand in a transfer request to drive the price down, which is classy, as usual.
  • oceanmotion 17 Jun 2013 15:55:14 15,651 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't think tapping up is that big a deal. A players agent will always have his ear. Rules I suppose but a pointless one.

Only bad thing is the constant transfer talk. Leave or stay.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2013 15:55:20 66,670 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's exactly it. I think Bale's got his head screwed on a bit better than most.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 17 Jun 2013 15:57:09 9,717 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dougs An agent like Barnett will quickly have his head turned.

Last real summer before FFP hits so agents are going to make hay I reckon. Mendes has done plenty of business already.
  • Shikasama 17 Jun 2013 15:57:23 6,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lots of sympath from Arsenal fans inc
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 15:58:20 32,857 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not tapping up until Zidane grabs Bale and pulls a Real Madrid shirt over his head.
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2013 15:58:28 58,784 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do they even have a manager yet? Maybe they should be grooming one of those first.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• robc84 17 Jun 2013 15:58:33 5,289 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Maybe something to do with our "special relationship" with Madrid?

But yeah. I'd love to see what would happen is we reported them for tapping up. Actually, no I wouldn't. Because it would be fuck all. And they're just trying to get the player to hand in a transfer request to drive the price down, which is classy, as usual.
    Didn't Madrid adopt similar tactics when tapping up Modric?

And I'm sure the Arsenal fans remember Barca tapping up Cesc. Seems Spanish clubs can get away with these things. If it was an English club doing it you can imagine Platini would have something to say about it.
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 15:59:40 32,857 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robc84 wrote:And I'm sure the Arsenal fans remember Barca tapping up Cesc. Seems Spanish clubs can get away with these things. If it was an English club doing it you can imagine Platini would have something to say about it.
    The trick to dealing with it without getting all excited is not to get emotionally attached to any of your players.

And the trick to not getting emotionally attached to any of your players is to ensure you've got a load of shit ones.
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 16:00:25 86,344 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know it all goes on and we had similar with Modric, but it was less overt than this.

Their DoF brazenly telling the press that they want to sign him and that he should hand in a transfer request to make it easier is nuts!
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 16:01:15 86,344 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    robc84 wrote:And I'm sure the Arsenal fans remember Barca tapping up Cesc. Seems Spanish clubs can get away with these things. If it was an English club doing it you can imagine Platini would have something to say about it.
    The trick to dealing with it without getting all excited is not to get emotionally attached to any of your players.

And the trick to not getting emotionally attached to any of your players is to ensure you've got a load of shit ones.
    Is the trick to not getting emotionally attached to just be an endless and repetitive overly cynical drone 24/7?
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 16:02:21 32,857 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Harsh. I spend at least 6 hours sleeping.
  • robc84 17 Jun 2013 16:02:50 5,289 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

But what happens when those shit players finish ahead of your arch rivals for the 1000th season in a row :(
  • ecureuil 17 Jun 2013 16:04:50 76,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    They do it with everyone. They don't give a fuck as long as they get the player.
  • Commander-Keen 17 Jun 2013 16:07:38 806 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    They do it with everyone. They don't give a fuck as long as they get the player.
    Indeed. They brazenly got away with it even with Man Utd and Ronaldo over several seasons, as I recall.

Basically, they're a bunch of cunts. They apparently have the temerity to wonder why people think they're the bad guys too.
  • TheSaint 17 Jun 2013 16:08:04 14,200 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We can only assume it must be the Spanish equivalent of 'He's a top lad and we'd love to sign him but he plays for someone else.'.
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 16:15:22 32,857 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh come on, we are all supporters of big teams, we all get players from smaller clubs against their wishes.
  • Commander-Keen 17 Jun 2013 16:16:09 806 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The way Brighton are dealing with Poyet does show that sometimes some clubs will stand up for their rights though.

We can't cry too hard at Spurs. We've got our hands mucky in the past with skimming other teams' youth players off them and turning the heads of one or two players ourselves (Vertonghen and Holtby arguably are examples).

I think it's the public nature of it which sticks in your craw...

EDIT: THFourteen kinda beat me to it there!

Edited by Commander Keen at 16:16:39 17-06-2013
  • mikew1985 17 Jun 2013 16:18:22 12,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed I'm not touching the tapping up thing with a 10ft pole.

Most of the larger clubs have been guilty of it.
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 16:20:30 86,344 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We did nothing wrong with Holtby. He was six months off the end of his contract. We were allowed to talk directly to him because of that.

Not sure what we did wrong with Verts either.

I know it goes on to a degree with a lot of signings though and Harry certainly did his fair share of saying things he shouldn't have when he was with us.
  • Page

of 5251 First / Last