The all-new Premier League thread Page 3409

  • Page

    of 5247 First / Last

  • graysonavich 9 Apr 2013 16:24:35 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Indeed, if we go down then I've no idea what would happen. I can't remember many other clubs having such a desirable striker whilst the team has been relegated (although I think we're going to stay up).
    Then you sir, do not remember Shola Ameobi.
    Viduka/Smith/Kewell crits you for massive damage.

    Edited by graysonavich at 16:25:19 09-04-2013
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 16:26:54 86,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I don't think he looks that good, at least not yet.

    More Spurs/Arsenal good than United/City/Chelsea good.

    Besides, the other will be looking at the likes of Lewondowski/Cavani/Falcao.

    EDIT: Remy that is, although same goes for Benteke tbh.
    I dunno. Its not many games to judge, yeah, but he looks quick, strong, skilful and is scoring goals in a poor side.
    He looks a finisher. Not seen much outside that. Very little in the way of good team play.

    Of course if he's a 20+ goal a season man then fine, but too soon to tell for me.

    He has an 8m buyout if they go down apparently, so we'll definitely see him snapped up.
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 16:27:15 86,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Indeed, if we go down then I've no idea what would happen. I can't remember many other clubs having such a desirable striker whilst the team has been relegated (although I think we're going to stay up).
    Then you sir, do not remember Shola Ameobi.
    Viduka/Smith/Kewell crits you for massive damage.
    Defoe when West Ham went down also aprings to mind.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 16:29:35 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone will take have a go on him and im sure he will do well.

    Speaking of which, there are, apparently, rumours eminating from agents that mourinho has been in contact with them, enquiring about players for chelsea for next year.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 16:31:01 16,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I said I couldn't remember, not that it hadn't been the case. So, what was the outcome for the bidding on those players? Were they relatively cheap?

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Tom_Servo 9 Apr 2013 16:52:44 17,277 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Someone will take have a go on him and im sure he will do well.

    Speaking of which, there are, apparently, rumours eminating from agents that mourinho has been in contact with them, enquiring about players for chelsea for next year.
    In contact with QPR? A glorious return for Bosingwa!
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 16:53:41 86,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I said I couldn't remember, not that it hadn't been the case. So, what was the outcome for the bidding on those players? Were they relatively cheap?
    Fraid so.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Apr 2013 17:10:54 14,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know when it comes to world class strikers, there aren't many available (not in the falcao price range) and there's talk of Lewendowski and Jovetic, but a really good player I like (and would arsenal to go for) would be Yilmaz from Galatasaray.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Apr 2013 17:15:14 14,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, Arshavin should go to the MLS; preferably either NYRB (to play behind Henry) or Seattle Sounders.

    Would do him good to be over there.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 17:22:39 16,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I said I couldn't remember, not that it hadn't been the case. So, what was the outcome for the bidding on those players? Were they relatively cheap?
    Fraid so.
    Since we're not going to be relegated then I wont have to worry ;-)

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Trowel 9 Apr 2013 18:48:43 17,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Indeed, if we go down then I've no idea what would happen. I can't remember many other clubs having such a desirable striker whilst the team has been relegated (although I think we're going to stay up).
    Andy Johnson, 2nd top PL scorer and in the England team the season Palace went down - he even played the next season in the Championship to try to help them back up.

    He looked like being the sort of striker we'd not had since the 80s when he arrived at Goodison and started the season on fire, but Moyes soon stuck him on the wing to teach him a lesson and effectively killed his career - nice one.
  • Trowel 9 Apr 2013 18:51:07 17,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • Deckard1 9 Apr 2013 18:52:24 27,069 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :D
  • kentmonkey 9 Apr 2013 19:11:26 20,424 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @THFourteen (from about 12 hours ago) I honestly think that's a shame. When there's so many other reasons to enjoy a sport, thinking that hatred is what makes football a glorious game is a bit weird to me.

    I like the passion, but crowds getting abusive, violent in some cases, and unsociable isn't what it's about for me. And you can have the former without any of the latter.
  • morriss 9 Apr 2013 19:14:05 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck off you dozy Arsenal scum!

    Woohoo. Fun this.
  • kentmonkey 9 Apr 2013 19:16:24 20,424 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jog on you mentally challenged Spurs froth.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Apr 2013 19:21:30 14,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Jog on you morris.
    Saved you a few words there.
  • spindle9988 9 Apr 2013 19:26:52 3,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Indeed, if we go down then I've no idea what would happen. I can't remember many other clubs having such a desirable striker whilst the team has been relegated (although I think we're going to stay up).
    Then you sir, do not remember Shola Ameobi.
    Viduka/Smith/Kewell crits you for massive damage.
    Ravanelli
  • Dougs 10 Apr 2013 07:50:49 66,621 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got one step closer in the PL

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22087658
  • captbirdseye 10 Apr 2013 12:46:43 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @THFourteen (from about 12 hours ago) I honestly think that's a shame. When there's so many other reasons to enjoy a sport, thinking that hatred is what makes football a glorious game is a bit weird to me.

    I like the passion, but crowds getting abusive, violent in some cases, and unsociable isn't what it's about for me. And you can have the former without any of the latter.
    Hatred banter is a massive part of the game, and if you remove that all you'll have are stadiums full of 'happy clappy' fans. Some of the best football atmospheres are the ones where the two sides hate each other with a passion. Yes, violence and abuse are totally wrong, but the bit between banter and going too far are what make football nights the most memorable. I remember Michael Duberry describing the atmosphere at Ninian Park as 'fearing for your life'. That night is still the best football atmosphere i've ever been in.

    Edited by captbirdseye at 12:49:46 10-04-2013
  • kalel 10 Apr 2013 12:50:07 86,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People with a brain can enjoy the irrational hatred of their rivals without it becoming something that's genuinely unpleasant or even dangerous.

    Basically, the problem is morons.
  • graysonavich 10 Apr 2013 12:56:34 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Some of the best football atmospheres are the ones where the two sides hate each other with a passion.
    Hmm. Depends what you're after I guess. I'd struggle to see where you're coming from with that one though.

    Edited by graysonavich at 12:56:48 10-04-2013
  • SparkyMarky81 10 Apr 2013 12:59:14 562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nothing makes me more ashamed of being a bloke than going to the footy as an away fan, sitting near the opposition fans. Everytime I see dozens of mature adults screaming abuse at each other and challenging each other to fights ouside the ground, whilst seperated by a line of stewards and a few coppers. It's pathetic and adds nothing to the occasion.

    The word 'banter' has been fully hijacked by complete fucking idiots who have no concept of what it actually is. Abuse and 'banter' are completely different things, one of which has no place a football.
  • Dougs 10 Apr 2013 13:02:25 66,621 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's pure panto though. Very few actually mean it, it's all bravado and male posturing. Not to be taken seriously. As Kal says, it's the morons that cross the line that are the issue
  • Dougs 10 Apr 2013 13:05:39 66,621 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Some of the best football atmospheres are the ones where the two sides hate each other with a passion.
    Hmm. Depends what you're after I guess. I'd struggle to see where you're coming from with that one though.
    I think he means where there's an edge, and the game means something. Been to quite a few Calcutta Cup matches, and had a great day out but even then there was an absence of the kind of hostility that makes watching football great. Waaaay too friendly and pally for my liking.
  • captbirdseye 10 Apr 2013 13:06:10 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Some of the best football atmospheres are the ones where the two sides hate each other with a passion.
    Hmm. Depends what you're after I guess. I'd struggle to see where you're coming from with that one though.
    Hehe, maybe i should've used 'rivalry' instead.
  • Shikasama 10 Apr 2013 13:15:08 6,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @THFourteen (from about 12 hours ago) I honestly think that's a shame. When there's so many other reasons to enjoy a sport, thinking that hatred is what makes football a glorious game is a bit weird to me.

    I like the passion, but crowds getting abusive, violent in some cases, and unsociable isn't what it's about for me. And you can have the former without any of the latter.
    Hatred banter is a massive part of the game, and if you remove that all you'll have are stadiums full of 'happy clappy' fans. Some of the best football atmospheres are the ones where the two sides hate each other with a passion. Yes, violence and abuse are totally wrong, but the bit between banter and going too far are what make football nights the most memorable. I remember Michael Duberry describing the atmosphere at Ninian Park as 'fearing for your life'. That night is still the best football atmosphere i've ever been in.
    Urghk, can you imagine a social gathering of tens of thousands of happy people enjoying a good day out?

    Disgusting.
  • captbirdseye 10 Apr 2013 13:22:53 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Shikasama

    I can and the majority of the time this is what football grounds are like these days. I have no problem with it, but the grounds have zero atmosphere and they just become cricket grounds.
  • kalel 10 Apr 2013 13:25:10 86,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some clubs enjoy a very fierce yet also somehow quite friendly rivalry. Spurs and Arsenal are actually quite a good example. A few idiots aside it rarely becomes unpleasant or violent.
  • Shikasama 10 Apr 2013 13:25:36 6,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Horrific.

    It's bad when you can only correlate 'atmosphere' with 'hatred'. Maybe you just used an example that exaggerates what you really mean.
  • Page

    of 5247 First / Last

Log in or register to reply