The all-new Premier League thread Page 3375

• Page

of 5257 First / Last

• kalel 27 Mar 2013 19:39:05 86,403 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spurs absolutely had every intention of moving. 1000%.
  • President_Weasel 27 Mar 2013 19:43:18 8,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Spurs absolutely had every intention of moving. 1000%.
    Spurs had every intention of making (Newham?) council scared enough to give them some regeneration money. Well played, Spurs.
  • kalel 27 Mar 2013 19:46:09 86,403 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's called a win/win, but the greater win was without question a state of the art stadium in half the time, at a third of the price, in an area with fantastic transport links.

Those that know Levy will know how much of an appeal that was. He was deadly serious about it being his preference.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2013 21:14:15 14,074 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really? Fair enough.

I just felt Spurs demand on top to completely tear it down to make it completely specific for their needs, though logical, just seemed to be asking so much it felt like it was a troll attempt, especially as what they wanted (to build a whole new stadium) wouldn't fit in with the entire plans with the park (fact is, other than the money, the other main source of income will be from property sales. And sure no one wants to buy a brand new property next to a heavily worked site).

I'm sure if Spurs wanted something like the current deal, to modify the stadium to suit football needs, rather than tear it down completely, they would've been the preferred choice.

It's all moot really, as if LOCOG (or whoever) had just built the stadium with a long-term use in mind beyond athletics, they/we wouldn't be in this mess.

But let's go give "lord" Coe his MBE or whatever.
  • kalel 27 Mar 2013 21:40:16 86,403 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The didn't want to tear it down completely I don't think. They just wanted to completely replace the seating which would have meant getting rid of the athletics track. That was the big issue. They felt this retractable seating thing was a shit solution.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2013 21:49:24 14,074 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The didn't want to tear it down completely I don't think. They just wanted to completely replace the seating which would have meant getting rid of the athletics track. That was the big issue. They felt this retractable seating thing was a shit solution.
    Is it a shite solution though? Maybe the old plan was, but this seems like a decent compromise. But then, I have no idea what the old plan was.
  • Fab4 28 Mar 2013 07:39:04 5,980 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see Suarez was being his usual cunty self on international duty.
  • ElNino9 28 Mar 2013 08:17:29 13,290 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not really, elbowing people in the face is just how they greet people in Uraguay.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Jono62 28 Mar 2013 08:19:35 13,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mailol:

http://www.imgur.com/TCpCrzb.jpeg
  • kalel 28 Mar 2013 08:28:59 86,403 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Is it a shite solution though? Maybe the old plan was, but this seems like a decent compromise. But then, I have no idea what the old plan was.
    As I understand it the plan is to just put retractable seating over the athletics track, and leave the rest of the seating as it is, which is far from ideal for viewing football. Spurs wanted to redo all the seating so that it was nearer and much steeper, thereby permanently losing the athletics track. And that was the big issue as it could no longer be our home of athletics.

I don't think that's asking so much that it's obviously a "troll attempt". We just wanted our stadium to be an actual football stadium, which is fair enough imo from our perspective at least. In fact, as per your post above, we did simply want to modify the stadium for football needs (as opposed to "tear it down completely"), we just weren't prepared to compromise on the dual-purpose aspect (although we did put plans in place to actually pay for an alternative athletics venue).

I can understand the government sticking to their guns about it being an athletics venue though. They had to save some sort of face. But nevertheless, the plan we put in place was realistic and absolutely 100% genuine. Not a troll.
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Mar 2013 08:31:33 3,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Not really, elbowing people in the face is just how they greet people in Uraguay.
    I believe the national greeting is :

elbow - gob in face - racist remark - smile.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kentmonkey 28 Mar 2013 08:42:23 20,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave You missed gentle cupping.

Oh no, wait, it's the other handball. My mistake.
  • THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 09:01:43 32,871 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it time for real football again yet?
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 09:06:03
    Is it next season already? :D
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Mar 2013 09:38:39 3,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Football is back this weekend!, yay!

• nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 09:45:32 58,832 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Mailol:

If they get 12m for the conehead, they will have done brilliantly. Although, again, he had an arshavin flash of greatness when playing for his country.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Ultrasoundwave 28 Mar 2013 10:12:16 3,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the only people who are stupid enough to pay 12 million for Gervinho are Blackburn.

Might put a fiver on that actually......

• THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 10:17:40 32,871 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Is it next season already? :D
    Aren't you involved in the race for 4th place?
  • THFourteen 28 Mar 2013 10:23:48 32,871 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I see Jack is back for next week.

Pretty sure I called that one. Wenger thinks we can beat reading without him, so he faked injury to get out of the Bayern and England games.
  • Shikasama 28 Mar 2013 10:43:12 6,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or he's finished his coke come down
  • Shikasama 28 Mar 2013 10:43:18 6,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • King_Edward 28 Mar 2013 13:15:01 11,454 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mancini says the title race is over. Git couldn't wait until after we played them to try pulling that shit again.
  • Dougs 28 Mar 2013 13:24:50 66,713 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    Mailol:

If they get 12m for the conehead, they will have done brilliantly. Although, again, he had an arshavin flash of greatness when playing for his country.
    The most frustrating player. He's clearly got some talent, but gas no composure to take advantage of the positions he gets himself in.

Really hope we don't go for Reina. Not a fan. Andre was like Reyes. Great for 18 months, then just gave up. He'll join Berbatov at Fulham imo
  • kentmonkey 28 Mar 2013 13:43:44 20,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't see what Reina brings that Sneezy doesn't. Both technically very good keepers, but prone to switching off and at least one clusterfuck in most games.

What he adds (experience) he lacks in hunger and determination I think.
  • kalel 28 Mar 2013 13:45:50 86,403 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree. Reina seems like a bit of a waste of time at this point. Chesney will look a lot better when he has a regular, confident and organised defence in front of him.
  • Shikasama 28 Mar 2013 13:47:34 6,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I saw them being linked with Vorm a few weeks ago.

Awesome signing for any of the higher positions clubs.
  • President_Weasel 28 Mar 2013 13:48:17 8,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    As I understand it the plan is to just put retractable seating over the athletics track, and leave the rest of the seating as it is, which is far from ideal for viewing football. Spurs wanted to redo all the seating so that it was nearer and much steeper, thereby permanently losing the athletics track. And that was the big issue as it could no longer be our home of athletics.

I don't think that's asking so much that it's obviously a "troll attempt". We just wanted our stadium to be an actual football stadium, which is fair enough imo from our perspective at least. In fact, as per your post above, we did simply want to modify the stadium for football needs (as opposed to "tear it down completely"), we just weren't prepared to compromise on the dual-purpose aspect (although we did put plans in place to actually pay for an alternative athletics venue).

I can understand the government sticking to their guns about it being an athletics venue though. They had to save some sort of face. But nevertheless, the plan we put in place was realistic and absolutely 100% genuine. Not a troll.
    We've got a home for British Athletics at Crystal Palace. Nobody gives a shit about running and jumping anyway; Crystal Palace is more than enough for the few times a year there's an 'event'.
  • Shikasama 28 Mar 2013 13:50:32 6,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gateshead Stadium is decent as well. Not as modern but I like it
  • kalel 28 Mar 2013 13:51:33 86,403 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @President_Weasel

I'm not arguing, but that was the reason our bid was rejected (and there was a far amount of public outrage a the time as well).
  • President_Weasel 28 Mar 2013 13:53:39 8,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am still being annoyed at the Olympic committee from a couple of pages back (and about a year back, come to think of it).
  • Page

of 5257 First / Last