The all-new Premier League thread Page 3360

• Page

of 5486 First / Last

• kalel 21 Mar 2013 13:13:53 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Well it is equally "logical" to claim he is doing better that Hughes would have been when there are so many impossible to gauge variables to claim it either way.
    I don't think you understand logic.

You're right that you're entitled to voice whatever opinions you like though. Good luck with that.
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 13:16:06 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I have greeter respect for his managerial abilities, but I didn't realise what a self-serving, ungracious, vain and proud twat he was.
    I think a lot of that can be down to the fact that 'good football brain' was a term invented for him. In all other respects he seems to be as thick as pigshit.
    Nah, he's a smart cookie. Downright devious. The thick cockney thing is carefully cultivated for when it suits him, but he's no fool.
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 13:16:53 59,945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its well cultivated then as he comes across as having actual learning difficulties.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Feanor 21 Mar 2013 13:18:30 14,166 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Hughes got 4 points from 12 games.
    Redknapp has 16 points from 18 games.

If you start the table from when he took over QPR are 10th.

I've literally no idea how you're coming to the conclusion he's doing worse than Hughes.
    It is impossible to say. For example I think Hughes would be in about the same place as Redknapp is right now, but without the huge sums of money Redknapp has pissed up the wall since he walked in. Hughes spent a lot as well, to be fair.
    Come on now.
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2013 13:18:40 67,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bank account? What bank account, dunno wot yer talking abaht.
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 13:19:01 6,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He's just a human face for the canine mastermind behind all of his actions
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 13:19:40 3,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    In other news, Norwich have apparently signed Van Wolfswinkel from Sporting for £8.5m for next season.

That's quite big. He's supposed to be a real talent.
    Bastard!

We were supposed to be in the running for him, i've only heard good things about him to be honest.

Saying that, i'm going to save myself £650 by not getting a shirt with his name on now.......

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Trowel 21 Mar 2013 13:19:51 17,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Sporting are utterly fucked all told. Will be a lot of fire sale activity. Levy is probably in a tent at the gates.
    I guess that means Eric Dier, who The Mail were heralding as the next Beckenbaur this week, will be coming home to England at some point over the summer.

Man United have been reported as interested but did he even play for Everton while he was there?
    Couldn't as he's got one of those joint ownership things going on with his rights, so he was only registered as a youth team player. When it came down to it there was no way we could justify the cash needed for an 18 year old centre back, especially as he wanted first team football.
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 13:20:13 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That he probably does.

Basically, I know everyone in football is only out for no.1, but with Harry it's just so obvious. He really has no shame in it at all. I totally get why people dislike him. I do too.

Credit where it's due though. He knows how to get a team playing football.
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 13:22:25 14,417 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From what I've heard Joe Jordan is the actual football / tactical brains of the operation, although obviously that is just hearsay but it could explain why he had such a shocker when he came to Saints and JJ stayed at Pompey.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Mar 2013 13:22:44 17,075 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I like Harry less now than I did before he managed Spurs.

I have greeter respect for his managerial abilities, but I didn't realise what a self-serving, ungracious, vain and proud twat he was.
    That's quite a damning indictment of him.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 21 Mar 2013 13:24:41 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    From what I've heard Joe Jordan is the actual football / tactical brains of the operation, although obviously that is just hearsay but it could explain why he had such a shocker when he came to Saints and JJ stayed at Pompey.
    I'm sure he plays a part. I doubt it's entirely down to him.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Mar 2013 13:37:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harry's ability is that he usually gets more out of iffy players than any other manager. He can be very self-serving, but there is no denying the positive impact he has on clubs.

Yes he has spent a fortune at QPR, but they had a team which was utterly hopeless. Big wage earners not working hard enough. There was no way even Harry could have kept them up without reinforcements, and they'll have signed players who have release or sale clauses for next year if they go down, so relegation shouldn't impact the club as much as you might think.
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 13:44:31 6,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Yes he has spent a fortune at QPR, but they had a team which was utterly hopeless.
    This is the narrative that needs to stop, it simply isn't true.

Reading, Norwich, Villa and Stoke have squads significantly worse than QPRs at the start of this season. You can argue they weren't performing and Harry has at least got them doing some of the simple things right, but there is serious talent in that squad, both potential and proven.

I'd go as far as saying they have the best squad outside of the top 10 barring Newcastle.
  • King_Edward 21 Mar 2013 14:16:42 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Potential talent can fail, and proven talent doesn't last forever. QPR's team was hopeless. The likes of Wright-Phillips, Cisse and Zamora are championship quality today, regardless of what they were 5 years ago.
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 14:22:46 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Yes he has spent a fortune at QPR, but they had a team which was utterly hopeless.
    This is the narrative that needs to stop, it simply isn't true.

Reading, Norwich, Villa and Stoke have squads significantly worse than QPRs at the start of this season. You can argue they weren't performing and Harry has at least got them doing some of the simple things right, but there is serious talent in that squad, both potential and proven.

I'd go as far as saying they have the best squad outside of the top 10 barring Newcastle.
    I think the squad Hughes put together on paper looked a lot better on paper than it was in reality. The likes of Andy Johnson, Cisse, Boswinga and Zamora were all wage hungry injury room players.

His best signings were the likes of Hoillet and M'Bia, and he got a bit unlucky with injuries there, but still, a lot of shit.
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 14:23:08 6,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No-one will be able to convince me that a team containing Cesar, Traore, Fabio, Nelson, Bosingwa, Faurlin, Granero, Taarabt, Hoilett and Cisse were doomed to be bottom of the league at the start of the season.

Southampton, Wigan, Reading etc would snap your hand off if you offered them those players.
  • disusedgenius 21 Mar 2013 14:25:34 5,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    No-one will be able to convince me that a team containing Cesar, Traore, Fabio, Nelson, Bosingwa, Faurlin, Granero, Taarabt, Hoilett and Cisse were doomed to be bottom of the league at the start of the season.
    Despite the fact that that's what happened?
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 14:26:09 14,417 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aside from Cesar, Park and maybe Fabio at a pinch I'd stick with what we have. Taarabt is talented but I wouldn't want an attitude like that in the dressing room.
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 14:26:58 59,945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think everyone bar Mark Hughes said at the beginning of the season 'a team of aging mercenaries never works'.

It was a surprise to precisely no one that team were a huge pile of crap.

• Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 14:27:02 3,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It never ceases to amaze me that Mark Hughes spent £30 million on Diakite, Granero, Wright-Phillips, Anton Ferdinand and Cissť.

£30 million on five of most average players i've ever seen play in the Premiership.

When you consider we got Debuchy, Sissoko, Yanga-Mbiwa, Haidara and Gouffran for £14 million it kind of puts Hughes's spending into perspective.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kalel 21 Mar 2013 14:28:08 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:

Southampton, Wigan, Reading etc would snap your hand off if you offered them those players.
    I know what you're saying, but while names like Lalalla, Lambert, Di Santo, Beausejour and Le Fondre don't sound as exciting, they're actually better players at this point in time.
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 14:43:22 6,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

I know what you're saying, but while names like Lalalla, Lambert, Di Santo, Beausejour and Le Fondre don't sound as exciting, they're actually better players at this point in time.
    Yeah I wouldn't disagree, but QPR are massively complicit in that. Quite how I'm not sure but Bosingwa played 43 games for Chelsea last season and now his name is a joke. Cisse score 6 premier league goals in 8 games. Hoilett was one of the better young players of last year and many expected this to be the season he'd establish himself as a proper premier league player. Faurlin and Granero are both established as very good players.

Now obviously they have Remy, Samba et all

You won't find me arguing against the fact that there is a massive funk over QPR for some reason, but by god they had the players.
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 14:44:57 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Hoillet has been injured most of the season to be fair. He's looked good since coming back. Hoping he'll come to Spurs next year.
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 14:48:31 59,945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its quite hard to believe bosingwa has won more or less every domestic trophy and two champions league medals.

• Dougs 21 Mar 2013 14:50:06 67,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of Hoilett, when did he start to be called "David" instead of "Junior". Or are they different players and I'm going mad?
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Mar 2013 14:50:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me that Mark Hughes spent £30 million on Diakite, Granero, Wright-Phillips, Anton Ferdinand and Cissť.

£30 million on five of most average players i've ever seen play in the Premiership.

When you consider we got Debuchy, Sissoko, Yanga-Mbiwa, Haidara and Gouffran for £14 million it kind of puts Hughes's spending into perspective.
    Yup. Harry has spent a lot, but at least he has bought players who are actually playing well enough to deserve those wages
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 14:53:09 87,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's funny, it's not that unlike when Harry came to Spurs. Ramos had also bought a lot of "on paper" good players and yet we were dogshit and in freefall.
  • imamazed 21 Mar 2013 14:53:34 5,622 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dougs I've always referred to him as David, so was suprised a couple years back when people started saying Junior!

I believe his dad was called David as well, so people started calling him junior and it just stuck.

Not sure where I've got that from, could be complete BS
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 15:08:18 6,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only other candian player I can name off the top of my head is called David too - David Edgar

Was always one of the first ones I shipped out of Newcastle on Championship Manager
  • Page

of 5486 First / Last