Buying first car

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Vice.Destroyer 23 Nov 2010 21:33:36 5,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mrs Destroyer has just passed her driving test and is now looking to buy her first car. She has seen this car on autotrader.co.uk and reckons that the combination of miles, price and size makes it a winner. It's about 2k below her budget, and missing some of the things that I think are essential.

Would it be a complete and utter ballache to get a garage to modify the car a little to build in things like GPS into the console? Along with a bluetooth car phone type thing, with a microphone on the steering column?

Since the girlfriend is looking over my shoulder, she is pointing out that the gadgets are of no interest to her at all. The question she wants answered, is this a decent first car? And with careful driving, will this last her another 5 years if she does about 15,000 miles a year? Also, what are some of the most obvious pitfalls that a first time buyer should look out for when buying a car?

Any help gratefully received.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 21:37:05
    I have a little Garmin that cost me 100 and has bluetooth built in. It's brilliant. Do that.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 21:39:58
    Also: I recently got one of these

http://info.citroen.co.uk/new-cars/car-range/citroen-c1/offers/

First car, cheep as chips and lovely. It's got enough saftey features like ABS to make it worth getting over an older car and the finance on them is fantastic.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 21:40:03
    Hello Lady Vice.Destroyer. He's always talking about you on here.
  • askew 23 Nov 2010 21:42:55 12,163 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oof, I can't recommend the Alto! My sister had one (till some debris on the motorway kicked up into the engine compartment and it lost all its oil and seized up...) and it was a boxy little shit.
  • Vice.Destroyer 23 Nov 2010 21:43:57 5,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Micro
    :)

@rich
    Mrs Destroyer has got cash coming out of her arse (I'm the poor one in this relationship). And she doesn't like buying things on credit. She has 5k squirrelled away. So that will be her budget.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 21:50:12
    I had a look at the old Altos. They're really horrible. You could get a 51/02 reg Polo for the same price and they are infinitely better despite being way older. I test drove one. It was lovely.

What about this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201047373604734/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/5000/model/c1/make/citroen/page/1/radius/10/postcode/pa27te?logcode=p
    ?

I only suggest it because they're dead cheep to insure, run on air and cost 20 a year tax.
  • sport 23 Nov 2010 21:50:47 12,694 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Would it be a complete and utter ballache to get a garage to modify the car a little to build in things like GPS into the console? Along with a bluetooth car phone type thing, with a microphone on the steering column?

You kids and your bloody fancy schmancy gadgets. Buy an A-Z and stick it in the glove compartment, then use speaker phone on your mobile

/rolls eye :-P

Hi Ms Destroyer, how you doin?
  • Kilters 23 Nov 2010 21:51:35 571 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do not allow your girlfriend (or any loved one) to drive something that can be crushed like a tin can.

An old Volvo S40 will do nicely and they are very reliable. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.euroncap.com/home.aspx
  • Carlo 23 Nov 2010 21:53:45 17,996 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice, drivethedeal just emailed me some superb prices on new cars, Think for a moment about getting a new car instead. In this Market, new cars are pretty cheap, and you can get pretty good finance if you see one that's a littlenout of budget.

Most new cars come with services for free, and there are no MOTs for 3 years... It all adds up.

http://www.drivethedeal.com/budget.asp?guess=20000

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 23 November 2010 21:55:34
    Kilters wrote:
    Do not allow your girlfriend (or any loved one) to drive something that can be crushed like a tin can.

The C1 is either 4 or 5 stars NCAP. And I'm thinking of insurance here.
  • ronuds 23 Nov 2010 22:00:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would look into buying an older car that was at one time better. You'll get a lot more for your money and the car will probably last just as long.

As for bluetooth and GPS - I wouldn't have that put in the dash. Get a stand-alone unit. And why can't she just use a bluetooth headset, rather than spending all that money and having people rip her dash apart?

I'm with Mrs. Destroyer on this... except for the car itself.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 22:00:53
    Fiat Grande Punto has 5* euro NCAP, there's absolutely millions of them out there so if you get a one or two-year old one (with some warranty on it) it will be cheap as chips. Some of them have Bluetooth built in. I had one until this year when I discovered that getting a baby seat in the back of it was not a fun experience so traded it in for a 5-door Focus.

Only problem is it's a Fiat, but get the Fiat-y goodness ironed out within the warranty period and after that it's going to be cheap to maintain. Cheap tax & insurance too.
  • Vice.Destroyer 23 Nov 2010 22:16:33 5,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mrs Destroyer has been reading these comments and sees the argument for getting a new car, with the money that you save for the next three years. The problem is, that everyone has an opinion about which car to buy and virtually every car has a pro and con.

If we go from the position that the Suzuki in the first post is a bad idea and that the girlfriend can be persuaded to buy a new car on credit, what would be a good first car?

Oh, and she says hello to everyone that greeted her.
  • Khanivor 23 Nov 2010 22:18:02 40,534 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kilters wrote:

240 FTMFW!
  • Syrette 23 Nov 2010 22:20:43 43,295 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• Chopsen 23 Nov 2010 22:22:33 15,867 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get a red one.
  • Syrette 23 Nov 2010 22:24:27 43,295 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice little open-top.

• Carlo 23 Nov 2010 22:25:06 17,996 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get a Japanese car like Honda (Jazz-sized) or. Toyota (yaris-sized) or there a bouts.

Ultra ULTRA safe, and reliable as fuck.

If you don,t like Japanese and want a European car, get a VW (polo-sized) as IMO they are the best in Europe without being overly expensive (like an Audi or BMW).

Just go to Honda and toyota showrooms, ignore the prices, have a look at the cars. I know for a fact your missus will base her decision on how it looks, and if she doesn't like the look of it, she'll not give a shit about anything else.

Saying that, i'd be amazed if she doesn't like the yaris, jazz, or polo. Lots of colours for her, features and editions (for you) and if you print out a drivethedeal price and take it with you, the state of the industry at the moment, i'm sure you'll find them matching the prices, and giving you good interest rates.

Ifs they don't, demand things like free services for 3 years, and/or breakdown cover. It costs them virtually nothing, but saves you lots!!!

PS: if the dealers don't budge, fuck 'em off and buy it via the websites.

• Vice.Destroyer 23 Nov 2010 22:32:47 5,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Carlo
    You might be surprised to hear that the girlfriend took huge offence at the 'lots of colours' comment. She said that you sound like one of the men from Mad Men. Colours are not an important consideration for her. But thanks for the rest of the post. Looks like we'll have to do a fair bit more research.
  • Carlo 23 Nov 2010 22:35:05 17,996 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry miss vice, my comments were more based on my wife!!!

• sport 23 Nov 2010 22:37:16 12,694 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We'll only help once we get some pics!
  • Chopsen 23 Nov 2010 22:49:08 15,867 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Yes, all new drivers have bumps. What a crock of shit!

More likely to though, aren't they?
  • askew 23 Nov 2010 22:49:11 12,163 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chillax, Nigel!
  • Petrarch 23 Nov 2010 22:50:35 3,425 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:

If you mean integrated into the dashboard, then yes it would. You'd have to effectively dismantle the entire thing to get that into it. There's plenty of off the shelf add-ons you can fit in however for bluetooth which just mount on the dash.

So far as the car itself, it doesn't look too sturdy to me and a 1.1L engine would be lacking that little extra oomph if you need to get out of trouble quickly - if you've got a budget of 5K, you can likely do better than that thing and probably get up to a 1.2.
  • Carlo 23 Nov 2010 22:52:32 17,996 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    Don't get a branny, It'll get bumped, new driver an all ;) No it's not a dig at lady drivers.

If you get a brand new one don't say I didn't warn you. Wait a year then splash the cash.
    Get fully comp with protection and forget about it.

Here's what I do:

I'm a low milage driver, so I buy my new car with those PCP plans (basically I 'rent' my car for 3 years, pay a low initial charge, monthly payments, then after 3 years I hand the keys back, or use the value of the car as a deposit for the next PCP plan on a new car).
    the car invariably ends up being worth more than the plan estimates because the milage is so low, the dealers know they can get more for it, so they want my car, and are happy to pay a bit more to get it. If they don't give me more, i'd just keep it, take a temp loan to pay for the remainder, then privately sell it, and make the money back that way. But they usually offer to discount the deposit if they get to have my old car.

Now, by buying it like that, I know all the responsibility is on the dealer, not me. They pay my services, and no matter what happens to the value of that car, after 3 years provided I can drive it into the forecourt, they have to take it (bumps, scratches, and all).

OK, so I never own a car outright, but conversely, I never have the responsibility of one either. And I get to drive around the latest model.

Oh and lastly, I typically don't keep them for the full 3 years anyway, because i've built up so much value by keeping it low milage, and in good order I have enough 'equity' early enough to upgrade.

Oddly enough I love the car I have so much, i'm actually thinking that when the 3 years is up, I might tell the dealers to take a walk, get a small kaon and keep it. It's nice because I have the option, and it's all up to me. They have no 'choices' in this.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous