Spelunky (XBLA)

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 2 November 2010 20:15:19
    Releasing shots like this is just mean. How nice does that look?
  • Trafford 2 Nov 2010 20:41:31 5,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks nice.
    And Spelunking is one of my favourite words!
  • matrim83 2 Nov 2010 20:46:01 5,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Woah that looks quite a bit better than the PC version (which was free last time I checked and totally worth looking into).

Valar morghulis.

• Whizzo 2 Nov 2010 20:46:16 43,036 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks very nice, a bit Rick Dangerous, which is no bad thing at all.

This space left intentionally blank.

• faux_carnation 2 Nov 2010 21:07:41 9,070 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I lost days to the PC version of this :/
  • Machetazo 7 Dec 2010 20:03:10 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is footage. It's shown, unedited, from 4:36 at the end of the interview with the creator. I'm actually, really looking forward to this (without even having seen much of, or played any Spelunk* of any type yet!) The concept just strikes me as brilliant, and the art styles employed are really appealing, too.

There's also a fairly recent original > modern comparison example, through that link, of the art assets, amongst other Spelunky goodness.
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Dec 2010 09:12:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not enough Spelunky love in these here parts! Everyone should give the PC version a whirl at least. It's much better with a pad, btw.
  • matrim83 28 Jul 2012 08:09:22 5,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did anyone buy it? :p

Its VERY good, if you are into that sort of thing. If you liked Binding of Isaac you need to give this a go.

Tough as hell though. I havent played the PC version in ages but dont remember that one being so hard.

Valar morghulis.

• lucky_jim 28 Jul 2012 08:45:43 5,258 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quite a few of us bought it, I think we were discussing it in the XBLA thread rather than here though.

And yes, it's bastard hard. But that's part of the fun.
  • ubergine 29 Jul 2012 22:01:09 2,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    took me weeks just to get past the mines. Now I've managed to get past the jungle once.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Capn_Franky 1 Aug 2012 14:03:32 61 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ubergine how are you fairing now? I've finally conquered it, attempting the 0 gold run through now and it's killing me...

Edited by Capn_Franky at 14:04:43 01-08-2012
  • ubergine 1 Aug 2012 15:33:56 2,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Capn_Franky haven't played it for a bit. My routine had been to play a few rounds of this then move on to Minecraft. Then I finally took the plunge into making piston contraptions and it's been one Minecraft to rule them all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Deleted user 20 August 2012 16:48:40
    good? edge 9 eg 10. didnt enjoy the demo but the reviews make it sound just so so good. how long is it?
  • Lexx87 20 Aug 2012 16:50:26 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Venatio Tell 'im!

Can more people play this please.

It's fucking amazing.

revan8 listen to the EG podcast on it.

Edited by Lexx87 at 16:50:52 20-08-2012

Speak the truth hussy!

• L_Franko Moderator 20 Aug 2012 17:11:38 9,694 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not touched this little gem for a while but I'll make a point of soing so in the very near future. It is a great time sink.
  • kalel 20 Aug 2012 17:13:48 86,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't get it.
  • CrispyLog 20 Aug 2012 17:47:44 114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just can't do the jungle. The mines I get steadily better and better at, but the jungle just seems so deadly, I've hit a brick wall.

It's a good game and I can see why people love it, but I just don't think it's for me unfortunately.
  • toythatkills 20 Aug 2012 18:15:15 158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get the jungle shortcut open and start from there for a while. It's all about knowing what's coming really, and the only way to do that is to let it kill you. Tiki Traps are probably the big killer in the jungle but they're even easier to dodge than Arrow Traps in the mines if you're taking it steady. Then you've got the boomerang guys who will destroy you if they see you, but again if you're taking it steady there's no reason why they will. Aside from that there's not a great deal to worry about. Except random bees. Fuck bees. If the way down is dangerous, don't be afraid to go somewhere else and bomb through the floor for a safer way down.

I've probably lost most of my 500ish games in the jungle, but at this point I don't actually feel it's that much harder than the mines, it just requires a little more concentration, and a bit more practice to learn.
  • CrispyLog 20 Aug 2012 18:50:16 114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What the hell do you do about those damned monkeys?
  • toythatkills 20 Aug 2012 19:25:41 158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ignore them, pretty much. They can't really hurt you.

If there's loads of them hanging over a spike pit, either find something to shoot them with (or throw at them), or bomb through the floor and go down somewhere else. The only way they can do you harm is by knocking you off when you're hanging on vines, so just don't ever do that if there's a monkey there.

If going another way isn't an option, and you've nothing to shoot them with, you could drop a bomb into the spike pit to clear some spikes away, and then just walk to the other side.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2012 21:39:45
    Took a while to hook me but I'm loving it now. Is bastard hard like Jim says but is never unfair.

It takes a while to figure out how to enjoy it. For me I realised that it's something to plug away at for a bit before you go onto your main game.

It seems to be embued with the soul of Dark Souls in terms of small progressive steps.

Can't recommend it enough really.
  • Bremenacht 20 Aug 2012 23:09:41 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Small progressive steps and a load of patience, that sounds right. And no matter how punishing it can be, you can restart really quickly and get going on your next attempt.
  • richardiox 20 Aug 2012 23:31:44 5,543 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get the whole playing this in small steps / having a quick blast before other games. The thing that brick-walls me about Spelunky is that to actually progress you need to open the shortcuts - and that's a time consuming task. I've spent several 45min sessions on this but never get further than 1-4. Then it's dead and back to the start.

So the next time I boot it up I'm back to 1-1. At least Dark Souls had bonfires at fairly regular intervals so even with <1hr to play I would progress. Also the randomly generated Spelunky levels mean unlike Dark Souls I'm not even learning the map.
  • toythatkills 20 Aug 2012 23:48:44 158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You don't learn the map in Spelunky, you learn the enemies and the hazards and that allows you to beat any map.
  • Bremenacht 21 Aug 2012 00:31:44 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And when to use bombs. I try to stock up with bombs if I can, and blast my way to the bottom if I'm close to the next area. I did that a few times when I'd reached 1-3 and wanted to get through to the end of 1-4 quickly.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 11:54:25
    Finally!

Managed to open the shortcut to the ice caves

Took long enough.
  • Siobheon 25 Sep 2012 08:41:53 76 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whilst I'm enjoying this I really feel it's just too difficult. I think 3 lives would have helped because there are just some times when you die due to bad luck. e.g. last night I was in a dark cave and was inching my way forward when a tiki man got me with his boomerang. And getting the last item for the ice caves means you've got a lot of levels to get through without being unlucky.

Maybe there could be an achievement for those who want to do it with one life, but for me, i'm getting close to my limit and will probably not play it much more.
  • L0cky 25 Sep 2012 08:59:26 1,501 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I kind've found that you can just accept that that's what the game is. You'll find yourself doing the levels more quickly, using your knowledge rather than being overly cautious.

As you build that up, run-throughs of the levels become a lot faster; and therefore you have less to lose if you die. Rather than getting frustrated, you just restart.

The last shortcut, where the tunnel man wants the gold key seems impossible, but later you'll find it quite easy.

Getting to the City of Gold; now that's hard! God knows how many hours I've put into trying; and I got so close twice :(
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Nov 2012 20:29:44 37,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought this in the November sale. But this is just unfair. First I got presented with this little situation...

Managed to run through like a little girl, only to be presented with this!

Seems a tad unfair!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• L0cky 22 Nov 2012 20:30:59 1,501 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You have nine bombs, go down :)
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous