Homemade Pizza

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • TheHammerite 16 Oct 2010 14:16:13 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Much better than buying it frozen. Has anyone got a decent tomato sauce recipe? I tend to make a basic marinara sauce.
  • mal 16 Oct 2010 14:37:36 21,949 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not sure of quantities per pizza, but you can make a small batch with 2 medium onions, 1 can of peeled plum tomatoes (not chopped), 2-4 cloves of garlic, a dash of lemon juice and chilli, basil or whatever you like for flavouring.

1. Chop the onions and garlic as finely as you can. Chop chillis if you're using them.
    2. Sweat them all in a warm pan with olive oil.
    3. Once the onions have changed colour, add the tin of tomatoes.
    4. Rinse out the tin with a little water (less than half a can I find) and add that to the pan as well.
    5. Simmer on a higher heat for a good half hour, stirring occasionally and poking the tomatoes once they're soft enough to break them up.
    6. Add a dash of lemon juice. This brings back the fresh tomato taste somehow. Simmer for a further 10 minutes to take the edge off the acid.
    7. Add any basil you're using (works well for pasta sauces, not so sure about pizza ones) and remove from heat.
    8. Now you need to saucify it. If you've got a vegetable mill crack it out and select the larger holed insert. If you've not got one you could try blitzing it in a blender/food processor, but I'd only give it the quickest of buzzes. You don't want to lose all the texture, and the cooking should have smoothed out most of the lumps. I've never used a blender for this though, so you'll need to suck it and see.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Metalfish 16 Oct 2010 14:42:15 8,689 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tend to just use a pasatta sauce from a jar because I've very lazy.
  • Dirtbox 16 Oct 2010 14:44:48 76,329 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or fuck all that and buy a tube of tomato puree to squirt on.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kingcrowbar 17 Oct 2010 08:47:52 875 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't even be bothered with that, just spray ketchup over it. Add some pink Himalaya salt to give it some sparkle.
  • Lukey__b 17 Oct 2010 14:09:23 3,725 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Or fuck all that and buy a tube of tomato puree to squirt on.

This. Maybe throw some dried oregano or basil over it as well if you want.

I've made a pizza with houmous instaed of tomato sauce and that was good. Houmous, sweetcorn, olives and parmesan. Makes a nice change.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Dirtbox 17 Oct 2010 14:13:01 76,329 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The best way to think of a pizza is as flat bread, you can sling whatever you fancy on it, but don't pile it. Less is more and keep it fairly simple.

Sauce, herbs, not too much cheese and then the topping.

• BinaryBob101 17 Oct 2010 23:47:30 21,966 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Definitely not tomato puree though. All sorts of wrong as it's way too strong.

It's so easy to make a decent tomato sauce yourself, why wouldn't you bother doing it if you're going to the bother of making the rest of the pizza?

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• mal 18 Oct 2010 00:20:24 21,949 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Plus you can use that sauce as a pasta dressing as well by adding basil or chunks of bacon or just using enough chilli. I should get back into the habit of making batches and freezing it.

• rickalish 18 Oct 2010 00:24:01 1,777 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For french bread pizza, I'd always recommend puree. It is a bit strong though. Maybe add a bit of water to it to thin it out a bit.
  • Dirtbox 18 Oct 2010 00:24:16 76,329 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Definitely not tomato puree though. All sorts of wrong as it's way too strong.
    Rubbish! Stop disagreeing for the sake of it, it can be thinned easily. It's perfect!

• Deleted user 18 October 2010 12:33:02
    What do you all use for the base? I use a white bread mix from Morrisons that has a pizza dough recipe on the side (can't remember the brand, McDowalls or something) but usually add 6 tbps of olive oil instead of whatever their oil direction is.

Homemade pizza is pretty much the best thing ever :D
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 12:35:11
    Bottle of Passata is about 89p from tesco, should cover quite a few Pizzas.
  • Zomoniac 18 Oct 2010 12:38:46 7,402 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just use tomato puree, mixed about 1/3 puree with 2/3rds water, with a bit of chopped fresh basil. If I'm in the mood I'll sometimes dilute the tomato puree with Reggae Reggae sauce for a bit of kick.
  • Lukey__b 18 Oct 2010 12:41:57 3,725 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anything tomatoey on a pizza is fine with me, apart from ketchup and soup.

I'll be honest, I don't make my own dough. I am tempted to make a pizza entirely from scracth today seeing as I've taken a sicky.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• THFourteen 18 Oct 2010 12:43:54 31,804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    tinned tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, chopped basil and tomato puree

had a pizza disaster over the weekend, made them too thick and despite 35mins in the oven they didnt cook but the toppings burned :(
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 12:46:45
    Puree is alright. Mal's sauce recipe sounds nice but complicated. I reckon a marinara sauce with garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, salt & pepper, basil and oregano - there's no place for onion in pizza sauce in my book. A chilli works good to freshen it up though.
  • heyyo 18 Oct 2010 12:48:01 14,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice post by mal there. I tried making my own pizza last year - what a fucking mess! I was tempted to hold the take-away leaflet in front of my eyes while eating my pizza, you know, pretend I was the take-away.

The dough is very difficult for me, the one I made was like cement ... was fun watching my housemates trying to eat it and being polite :D
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 12:52:39
    heyyo! wrote:
    The dough is very difficult for me, the one I made was like cement ... was fun watching my housemates trying to eat it and being polite :D

It's one of those things that takes a few goes to get good at, even just because the first attempt is a bit daunting. Would def recommend a good bread mix, only costs about 80p and it's hard to mess it up.
  • Lukey__b 18 Oct 2010 12:55:32 3,725 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used to make a great thin base cheese and tomato pizza when I was in school. Went through college making it at least once a week to feed stoned mates.

I could cook it perfectly from my head whilst stoned back then but now I have no idea. Well, I know how to do it, but I don't know know now and I'm sure I will either under cook or over cook the base/toppings. I might just stick with buying a pre-made base.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• chiefian 18 Oct 2010 12:57:32 475 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I just use tomato puree, mixed about 1/3 puree with 2/3rds water, with a bit of chopped fresh basil. If I'm in the mood I'll sometimes dilute the tomato puree with Reggae Reggae sauce for a bit of kick.

This.

I've even started using Reggae Reggae sauce in my baked beans. And there's only one way to cook them, on a hob.
  • mal 18 Oct 2010 12:59:35 21,949 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Once you've made the recipe a couple of times, you could do it with your eyes closed, apart from the blitzing bit at the end. Just chop, fry, add toms, simmer, add lemon, simmer, blitz, done.

• Onny 18 Oct 2010 13:01:53 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tend to use a tin of chopped tomatoes with a crushed garlic clove, salt and pepper, and 1 tsp sugar. I boil it hard over a high heat to reduce it until it's a fairly thick sauce.

• Grunk 18 Oct 2010 13:14:14 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My tips for homemade pizza :

Use the blocks of mozzarella you can buy as opposed to the mozzarella in liquid. Otherwise the toppings go runny.

If you have a cast iron frying pan. make up the pizza in that, then blast it on the hob, then grill the topping.

Alternatively roll out the base on greaseproof paper, bung it under the grill until brown.
    Flip it over (why the greaseproof paper is useful) Add topping and grill.

The reason for grilling is that usually ovens do not get hot enough, however doing each side this way makes the base nice and crispy.
  • moriss 18 Oct 2010 13:26:34 588 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i just drain a tin of chopped tomatoes of their juice and use just the tomato pieces left behind scattered about the base, usually a sliced-open ciabatta. then toppings as per usual, no need to faff cooking a sauce first. perfet :)
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 13:45:51
    Grunk wrote:
    Use the blocks of mozzarella you can buy as opposed to the mozzarella in liquid. Otherwise the toppings go runny.

Seconded. Never get pre-grated though as it's too dry.

Also, sounds like your oven is as crappy as mine. A decent oven cooks pizza fine - I know because I used to have one, before I moved into a rented house with an entry level Beko :(
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 13:50:59
    Always use a pre made base personally. I don't doubt how easy it is to make your own, but unrolling one that is already made is definitely quicker!

Passata, Mozzarella, sweetcorn, onions, peppers, chilli powder, Chorizo and some mushrooms. Usually top with some other cheese and slam it in the oven.
  • smoothpete 18 Oct 2010 13:51:37 31,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is passata what americans would call "tomato sauce"? I've seen that in recipes. I mean, it's obviously not meant to refer to ketchup, but I wasn't quite sure what the correct term for it was.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 14:00:02
    Passata is sieved tomatoes - don't think it's an American word. It's a bit too bland and watery for my liking.
  • smoothpete 18 Oct 2010 14:00:39 31,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No I mean, is that what the americans would call tomato sauce? Passata being the Italian word
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous