The moment you realised the Simpsons is now terrible Page 2

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• JuanKerr 12 Oct 2010 15:11:41 36,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've caught quite a few recent-ish episodes and I'd actually say they were terrible. I ended up turning over because it simply wasn't funny and painful to watch.

Still watch the ones from series 4-7 and they're fantastic.
  • Nexus_6 12 Oct 2010 15:12:34 3,894 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Simpsons was the best thing on telly for many years.

When I flick on to an episode on 4 week nights, and see it is a 'new'one, i will either switch to the news, or put the telly off.

I have forced myself to sit through a few of the newer episodes and I would honestly rate them 'Terrible'

Zero laughs, poor voice acting (homer especially i find) animation not too good, crap celebrity stars all add up to terrible in my rating system.

Which is a shame because it really does have the finest stories ever told in cartoon form! It is also interesting that someone has mentioned the japan episode as tha was around the same time i started not enjoying it.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:12:52
    I think there's a turning point where Homer turns into an idiot who loves his kids and family to just being a stupid arsehole.
  • kinky_mong 12 Oct 2010 15:15:21 10,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    Which is a shame because it really does have the finest stories ever told in cartoon form! It is also interesting that someone has mentioned the japan episode as tha was around the same time i started not enjoying it.

Despite what I said earlier I actually quite like the Japan episode, if only for the bit on the gameshow.

The London episode can fuck right off though. An absolute abortion.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• JuanKerr 12 Oct 2010 15:15:23 36,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup - I've seen far too many episodes which have basically been the 'zany (and unfunny) adventures of Homer Simpson'.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:15:30
    It's still going? What channel?
  • Fake_Blood 12 Oct 2010 15:15:31 4,386 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    richardtock wrote:
    I think there's a turning point where Homer turns into an idiot who loves his kids and family to just being a stupid arsehole.

+1

The show has it's ups and downs, but I agree that homer is definitely less likeable than at the start.
  • VandelayIndustries 12 Oct 2010 15:16:14 1,523 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah when Homer became self aware in his stupidity it killed it for me.

Anyway I got season 3 - 8 and they can't take that away from me :)
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:17:43 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    richardtock wrote:

They've gone back on this now, he's a lot more loving in recent seasons.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:17:44
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    It's still going? What channel?

Sky One. New episode with appearances by Flight of the Conchords and Glee cast members (sigh...) will be repeated on Thursday I think.
  • M83J01P97 12 Oct 2010 15:17:50 6,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't Matt Groening have almost zero interaction with the shows production now a days?

I remember reading an interview with him not so long ago where he basically said he was in a 'Bill Gates' style position where he knew he could walk away from the show and it would still be good hands...
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:18:27 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Yup - I've seen far too many episodes which have basically been the 'zany (and unfunny) adventures of Homer Simpson'.

This.

They also keep doing this thing where the episode starts on one storyline, then it just goes off on a weird tangent and you're left there thinking "How the fuck did it end up like this?"

ie. the same as every episode of every US comedy ever.
  • Physically_Insane 12 Oct 2010 15:19:15 9,117 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Smithers: ....use your map
    Homer: Ehrrmmmm, I lost my map
    Smithers: You haven't been issued your maps yet!!!

But yeah, post season 9 have been pretty bad.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:20:00
    Smuggo wrote:
    They also keep doing this thing where the episode starts on one storyline, then it just goes off on a weird tangent and you're left there thinking "How the fuck did it end up like this?"

Yeah well the Simpsons used to do this to pretty funny effect. Then they just kept flogging the idea until it died.
  • ronuds 12 Oct 2010 15:20:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agree about the Homer comments 100%. All of the characters have unfortunately become charicatures of themselves, which I thought was the downfall of Seinfeld as well. Not only that, but stuffing every Hollywood actor into every episode just smells too badly of desperation.

Lately, though, is it me or have the episodes gotten a little better?
  • thelzdking 12 Oct 2010 15:20:19 4,410 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think one of the other main turning points was when Groening stepped back to do Futurama. I remember it having a noticeable drop in quality then as well.
  • M83J01P97 12 Oct 2010 15:20:27 6,700 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

This.

Not really. Their is some incredibly strong and very well written US comedies out there right now. Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, The Office, 30 Rock etc etc...
  • JuanKerr 12 Oct 2010 15:22:08 36,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They should have just knocked it on the head at its peak and then we wouldn't even be having these sort of discussions.
  • Physically_Insane 12 Oct 2010 15:22:50 9,117 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    South Park is probably the only tv show I know of that gets better each season.
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:23:13 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

This.

Not really, and it never used to be like that. I really love the early episodes and still watch them from time to time, but the new shit can just fuck off and die.

It's always been like that. That's how they break the episodes up in the US, first act, commercial, middle act, commercial, final act. A traditional beginning/middle/end setup, with the first act being slightly random.

Take Fear of Flying, for example. The first act is all about Homer getting kicked out of Moe's and looking for other bars. The middle/end of the episode is about Marge's fear of flying, it never again revisits Homer going back to Moe's.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:23:22
    Too many people are making too much money from it for that to happen.
  • ronuds 12 Oct 2010 15:24:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:

Oooph...
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:25:14 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

This.

Not really. Their is some incredibly strong and very well written US comedies out there right now. Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, The Office, 30 Rock etc etc...

It's not a criticism, that's just how US comedies are structured. The first act is there to set up the story in any bizarre way possible, usually something that the writers can have fun with and put in jokes that otherwise wouldn't fit in to a normal episode.
  • Physically_Insane 12 Oct 2010 15:25:22 9,117 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Physically_Insane wrote:

Oooph...

What?
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2010 15:26:09 61,094 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    The Simpsons is hardly flavour of the month

I'm not saying it is, but clearly that was aimed at me not liking some other shit, throwaway game that everyone gushed over for a week before forgetting about.

Among other things.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• VandelayIndustries 12 Oct 2010 15:27:55 1,523 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kinda feel the same way about Futurama. Those four seasons were gold then I watched the direct to DVD features, they lost that spark they had big time, sadly.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last