Pinball FX 2 Page 63

• Page

of 71 First / Last

• Vice.Destroyer 19 Jun 2012 20:07:21 5,827 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good review, evilashchris. Enjoyed reading that. I have my points ready for tomorrow. I will be there with my Pinball FX joystick.

This has to be my best videogaming purchase ever. It's the only stick that I have seen that has a button configuration of: (top row) LT, X, Y, RT. (bottom row) LB, A, B, RB.

Makes for a very comfortable playing experience. Joypads kill my hands after 20 minutes. And because the buttons are not user-configurable in Pinball, other sticks are not as comfortable to use.
  • Shikasama 20 Jun 2012 22:44:11 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Avengers table absed on the movie is fucking brilliant :D
  • agparrot 21 Jun 2012 19:11:00 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    The Avengers table absed on the movie is fucking brilliant :D
    I am also coming around to this way of thinking, although I haven't even scratched the surface of what the table does yet. The mechanic that they've got of the different balls scoring and acting in different ways around the table is absolutely inspired.

Somebody absolutely amazing sent me a code to redeem the other day, (Thanks Capn Franky), and wouldn't tell me what it was. When I typed it in, it turned out to be the rather spiffing new Avengers pack, and so I am doubly blessed with somebody very kind sending it to me, and the general greatness of these new tables, which as evilashchris mentions really are a cut above what has come before.
  • glo 21 Jun 2012 22:21:18 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    keep getting an error when trying to download the trial version of the new tables. anyone else managed to download them successfully?
  • Shikasama 24 Jun 2012 18:42:06 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry glo, I flat out bought them

I'd recommend you do the same, you won't regret it!
  • glo 25 Jun 2012 11:45:14 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trial version link finally starting working on friday night. Went and bought it immediately after playing the trials for each table in any case. Might as well have shelled out the 800 points on wednesday really as there was not much doubt that I would partake given my pinball addiction.

Currently top of my friends list for two of tables which sounds impressive until you realise that the only other people of my friends list with the tables are evilashchris and agparrot.

They are all excellent tables though and definitely worth 800 points for the set.

@Shikasama - send you a FR so that I have some more competition on the new tables.
  • souvlaki 25 Jun 2012 12:34:16 717 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought it last night, but for PSN ..... as I have a VITA I'm going to have to rebuy all the tables for PSN now :-\
  • agparrot 25 Jun 2012 13:07:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Er, sorry glo you might currently only be top of your FL for one table now. Had a bit of a blinder on The Avengers and popped over the top of 125million something.

I've spent more time on the Avengers table than anything, the way the different balls give you different bonuses is something you can really play with to your advantage - I tend to start with Hawkeye now to get the left and right kickbacks activated more quickly, before switching to Captain America and his handy ball save, getting Black Widow into the same mission lock if I can, as having both kickbacks, the ballsave and mission bonuses from Widow can make a difference to the scoring on the Odin Jet and the er, one that makes the table go red.

Then there is the sheer fun of the Hulk ball bouncing around the bumpers and SMASHing stuff, although I've yet to have any luck with Hulk vs. Thor at the moment.

In many ways, the Avengers table and World War Hulk are the most 'traditional' FX/2 tables of the new pack, as the others do very different things, with Fear Itself having that 'circular, magnetic' thing going on, the plethora of virtual stuff that goes on within the stunning Infinity Gauntlet.

I've actually gone back and revisited some of the Virtue and Vengeance tables since firing up the new pack, and the other night I even found myself revisiting Iron Man. 12 might seem like a lot of Marvel themed tables, but there's such a variety, especially in the new tables, that they are all well worth the money.

If you're undecided about the new tables, then I can't recommend them enough - it really is like Zen have been refining the art of making the tables to produce these four.
  • Shikasama 25 Jun 2012 13:11:26 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll accept that tonight glo. Won't be much competition though as I am pants, I think my highests cores on the enw tables are 65 and 68 on Avengers and WWH. My highest total score is only 128 on Moon Knight I think.

I'll never, ever see a wizard mode as I can't stay in play long enough :(

Mind if I send you a req tonight agparrot?
  • agparrot 25 Jun 2012 14:05:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I'll accept that tonight glo. Won't be much competition though as I am pants, I think my highests cores on the enw tables are 65 and 68 on Avengers and WWH. My highest total score is only 128 on Moon Knight I think.

I'll never, ever see a wizard mode as I can't stay in play long enough :(

Mind if I send you a req tonight agparrot?
    I'll need to try and find somebody to get rid of, I think, but that should be fine, aye.
  • glo 25 Jun 2012 16:51:01 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Shikasama - I'm no pinball wizard mate more of a competent enthusiast. I think your moon knight score beats mine and there are plenty of the tables that I am rather poor at, e.g. Iron Man, Thor, Rome.

Most of my scores are around the 50M mark, only got other 100M on a few of the tables (Spiderman, Mars, Moon Knight, Secrets of the Deep).

I don't think I have ever seen wizard mode and it is likely to be a fluke if I ever do...
  • Shikasama 25 Jun 2012 19:50:53 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Didn't get your request glo, Abueloshika is the tag
  • glo 25 Jun 2012 21:34:53 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Shikasama - thats weird. xbox website seemed confident that I had sent it. will try again when I switch the console on later. BTW my gamertag (larrybong) bears no relationship to my eg username.
  • Shikasama 26 Jun 2012 18:37:33 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got it mate, our scores on the new tables are pretty close.

GAME ON MAN, GAME ON
  • agparrot 27 Jun 2012 13:09:27 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right, not really sure what happened on the Avengers table, but I got to a bit where two of the heroes were fighting in the bottom left corner - I can't even remember which ones they were because I was so busy staring intently at the ball as I tried not to lose it.

Basically I had the Capt America, Hawkeye and maybe Hulk lanes 'lit up', by which I mean their little symbols were coloured in instead of the plain white etchings representing their little symbol at the entrance to each lane. Each time I hit one of these lanes, it splurged up a jackpot score - a good jackpot score of about 5m, that presumably I had increased over the course of the game, as I was now firmly entrenched in Ball 3 territory.

Anyway, I didn't survive all that long, but I did manage to hit about ten ramps in this mode, elevating my already giddy 170m to a finishing score of 231m. If I knew how I had triggered this mode, I would gladly share it with you!

In the meantime, my pattern of play on Avengers is: Start as Hawkeye and light both left and right kickbacks. Lock up Hawkeye in the Jet, bring in Captain America and try and hit the 9- or 10-ramp combo thing that lights up the Extra Ball, then lock him in the jet and score points from that multiball mission. I haven't quite figured out the circumstances under which you can lock the balls into that central 'target' thing, but getting two balls into there also triggers a ramp-centric repair multiball thing, and it is the jet and central target multiballs that I've mostly farmed for points so far... possibly because I have been unable to complete the modes.

That target in front of the central target block also got lit by... something else that I did, and I hit it twice for 20m points apiece.

I wish I knew what I was doing!
  • robthehermit 27 Jun 2012 13:18:27 4,037 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't know if it's on general sale, but via the new sales and specials app the pinball FX classic pack can be had for 400 points.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Shikasama 27 Jun 2012 13:19:29 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm that could be either Thor vs Hulk or Thor vs Loki I think agparrot. Fuck yuo for putting your score even further from my reach.

I too try and start out as Hawkeye, my problem is I always lose balls in stupid ways. They'll just bounce down the sides for discernable bloody reason.

Also, and this is going to sound obscenely stupid, which one exactly is the Iron Man ramp? Is it the one you need to hit with the higher flipper?
  • robthehermit 27 Jun 2012 13:19:30 4,037 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't know if it's on general sale, but via the new sales and specials app the pinball FX classic pack can be had for 400 points.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• glo 27 Jun 2012 13:20:30 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still not sure exactly what I am doing with the Avengers table. How do you get the kickbacks with hawkeye and what causes the lanes to light up? Got the Cap America lane lit a few times but don't know how I did it.

Started to get to grips with Fear Itself now though I still haven't managed a decent score. Got one game saved with 16M on my first ball hopefully I can return to that game and manage to get a respectable score on the table.

Still top of my friends list on World War Hulk but I imagine that is only because agparrot has been concentrating on the avengers recently.
  • Shikasama 27 Jun 2012 13:27:09 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    glo wrote:
    Still not sure exactly what I am doing with the Avengers table. How do you get the kickbacks with hawkeye and what causes the lanes to light up? Got the Cap America lane lit a few times but don't know how I did it.

Started to get to grips with Fear Itself now though I still haven't managed a decent score. Got one game saved with 16M on my first ball hopefully I can return to that game and manage to get a respectable score on the table.

Still top of my friends list on World War Hulk but I imagine that is only because agparrot has been concentrating on the avengers recently.
    Yeah I put in a shift on Fear Itself last night to overtake you, went from 15 to 25 I think. I struggle with it because of the same reason I struggle with Blade in that it is such a precise table, you really have to your shots properly and if you dont and you're just bouncing around, you're not realyl gettign points.

Saying that though, completing one Worthy task is a bucketload of points. Also, the bit where you go into Dark Asgard and play Breakaway with Mjolnir is brilliant.

As for the kickbacks - you just fill out the TRICK ARROW markings above the bumper lanes. If you have the Hawkeye ball you do two at once, meaning you get the kickbacks quicker. (I think)
  • agparrot 28 Jun 2012 11:49:24 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    glo wrote:
    As for the kickbacks - you just fill out the TRICK ARROW markings above the bumper lanes. If you have the Hawkeye ball you do two at once, meaning you get the kickbacks quicker. (I think)
    Yes, I didn't make myself very clear - lighting TRICK ARROW gives you the kickbacks, and as Shikasama says, one of the Hawkeye special abilities is that he lights both letters in one go, the top and bottom ones, whereas all the other balls light them one at a time. The other Hawkeye ball ability is hugely inflated Skillshot values (I think it is a x4 multiplier). Which is fine and all that, but I do find the skillshots a little bit erratic on the Avengers table. More accurately, perhaps, I'm not very good at them.

I have had a couple of goes on World War Hulk but as of yet it just hasn't clicked for me - I have no idea what is going on, and the breadth of the table means I'm struggling a bit selecting a view I am comfortable with. I really wish they'd bring back the View 4 of olden days. I miss it.
  • Shikasama 28 Jun 2012 13:05:09 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    glo wrote:
    Yes, I didn't make myself very clear - lighting TRICK ARROW gives you the kickbacks, and as Shikasama says, one of the Hawkeye special abilities is that he lights both letters in one go, the top and bottom ones, whereas all the other balls light them one at a time. The other Hawkeye ball ability is hugely inflated Skillshot values (I think it is a x4 multiplier). Which is fine and all that, but I do find the skillshots a little bit erratic on the Avengers table. More accurately, perhaps, I'm not very good at them.
    I have had a couple of goes on World War Hulk but as of yet it just hasn't clicked for me - I have no idea what is going on, and the breadth of the table means I'm struggling a bit selecting a view I am comfortable with. I really wish they'd bring back the View 4 of olden days. I miss it.
    100 times this. It is definitley, at the least, inconsistant. The lack of a visual aid to give you an idea is really hampering as well. Although givent he points on offer you can sort of understand it.

I've decided I want to get good at this so i'm going to go down to basics, practicing shots and gettting the ball from one flipper to the other.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Jun 2012 13:40:06 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    evilashchris wrote:
    POW!

Review time! :D
    Finally got round to reading this and the tables sound great!
    Just means I have to go home now and buy them.
  • glo 28 Jun 2012 13:44:18 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Franko - Yes, go buy them ASAP so that I can have more competition on the leaderboards.

Also, do it because they are very good tables.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Jun 2012 14:02:58 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What price are we looking at here, 800?
  • glo 28 Jun 2012 15:02:35 3,424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Franko - yes, 800 for the pack.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Jun 2012 15:12:58 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers.
    I'll get that sorted tonight all going well and then I can weep at the scores I have to try and beat.
  • agparrot 29 Jun 2012 12:03:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    glo wrote:
    Also, do it because they are very good tables.
    Do it Mr. Franko.

They really are great.
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Jun 2012 12:44:05 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was all pumped up to buy them last night but then I remembered I've just changed banks and I left my new account details at work.
    Shall head into a shop today and buy a points card on the way home.
  • Shikasama 30 Jun 2012 11:09:05 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glo, did you manually send me that message saying you had beaten by Fear itself score or was that done automatically?

If it was from the game that's a great feature
  • Page

of 71 First / Last