Looks like the American soldiers exploded that hostage.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deckard1 11 Oct 2010 16:18:20 27,247 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11514210

Can't say I'm surprised to be honest... I don't understand why they ploughed straight in for a rescue, this was always a danger, and itís not normally the armies policy to be so gun-ho is it?
  • billythekid 11 Oct 2010 16:22:53 11,032 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OPEN, FRAG AND CLEAR!
  • localnotail 11 Oct 2010 16:23:13 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah shite. Poor woman.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• oceanmotion 11 Oct 2010 16:27:19 15,663 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unlucky.

I'm no elite soldier but the last thing I would be throwing about in a hostage situation is a grenade. Stun/flash grenade, yes but I don't think that would be enough to kill the person ?
  • Deleted user 11 October 2010 16:30:21
    She should have hit left bumper to throw it back.
  • Lukey__b 11 Oct 2010 16:32:05 3,725 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Unlucky.

I'm no elite soldier but the last thing I would be throwing about in a hostage situation is a grenade. Stun/flash grenade, yes but I don't think that would be enough to kill the person ?

I believe they can kill.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Deckard1 11 Oct 2010 16:34:58 27,247 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It mentions that they were actually using frag grenades. Seriously what the fuck did they expect to happen?
  • Stickman 11 Oct 2010 16:35:16 29,662 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're always so bloody keen to harp on about the SAS being the best in the world, and then we let the US Army (otherwise known as Collateral Damage Inc.) rescue one of ours. Not sure I'm following that.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• X201 11 Oct 2010 16:36:32 15,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukey__b wrote:
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Unlucky.

I believe they can kill.

Flash bangs probably, if you're right on top of them.

This story is about fragmentation grenades though.
  • X201 11 Oct 2010 16:37:28 15,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    We're always so bloody keen to harp on about the SAS being the best in the world, and then we let the US Army (otherwise known as Collateral Damage Inc.) rescue one of ours. Not sure I'm following that.

It was a US area and the feeling was that they knew the terrain better.
  • oceanmotion 11 Oct 2010 16:39:07 15,663 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SAS arguably doing more important things and there isn't a lot of them anyway. It should at least have been British troops but I imagine, stretched thin again and then you have to borrow US gear to get the job done so just let the US get the job done.
  • Stickman 11 Oct 2010 16:41:47 29,662 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The press would have less of a field day if it had been our brave lads who blew her up in the face.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• phAge 11 Oct 2010 16:44:34 24,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Lukey__b wrote:
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Unlucky.

I believe they can kill.

It's weird because even frag grenades have to be relatively close to the target to kill it (unless she was really unlucky). Seems to me they either didn't know exactly where she was, or got surprised by enemy combatants and panicked.
  • Fake_Blood 11 Oct 2010 16:46:29 4,081 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah well, it's all easy to judge from your comfy chair, the reality however might be less black and white than you may think.
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2010 16:46:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It says they acted "based on the intelligence they had received," so my guess is that they didn't know they threw a grenade in her lap.
  • RyanDS 11 Oct 2010 16:48:22 9,065 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    It says they acted "based on the intelligence they had received," so my guess is that they didn't know they threw a grenade in her lap.

Aye, intel says she is in the holding room to the northwest, they see 3 armed men in the east room and frag them. Then they see the hostage had been moved recently.
  • phAge 11 Oct 2010 16:49:22 24,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Yeah well, it's all easy to judge from your comfy chair, the reality however might be less black and white than you may think.
    @ me?
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2010 16:50:50 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While that's probably how it pretty much went down, you'd still expect them to be a little more careful, imo.
  • Lukey__b 11 Oct 2010 16:53:20 3,725 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have no idea what it would be like to be in that situation, but the reputation of American soldiers is not that great when it comes to killing people they arent really meant to.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Sponz 11 Oct 2010 16:54:57 643 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair, at least they had a go at a hostage rescue. The reason for the hurried rescue was that there was a risk that the poor woman would've been moved across the border into Pakistan.

Only the rescue team really know what happened there, but they are at least reviewing what happened, as it will help with more training.

And to give the Yanks their dues. If it was Special Forces, it would've been Rangers, Delta, or a Seal team. All of them have extensive training with hostage situations, so I doubt they were panicked. Perhaps they could've done a bit more close recon on the target house, but I'm sure they had their reasons for going in at that time.

Would've preferred the SAS to have gone in though, being a British hostage.

Give a thought to the family of the woman.
  • Red-Moose 11 Oct 2010 16:58:38 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mmmm negotation of hostages with frag grenades. Too much Counterstrike, IMO.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2010 17:02:45
    phAge wrote:
    X201 wrote:
    Lukey__b wrote:
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Unlucky.

I believe they can kill.

It's weird because even frag grenades have to be relatively close to the target to kill it (unless she was really unlucky). Seems to me they either didn't know exactly where she was, or got surprised by enemy combatants and panicked.

How close is relatively close to you? 5 metres lethal, 15 metres casualty range is quite big to me, big enough that I wouldn't be throwing one in a hostage situation in COD let alone real life.

/says he from his computer chair
  • disusedgenius 11 Oct 2010 17:10:56 5,225 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, at least we can recycle all those old 'Americans blew up our *blank*' jokes from the first gulf war...
  • phAge 11 Oct 2010 17:11:23 24,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    chimneyleaf wrote:
    How close is relatively close to you? 5 metres lethal, 15 metres casualty range is quite big to me, big enough that I wouldn't be throwing one in a hostage situation in COD let alone real life.

/says he from his computer chair
    Last time I threw one it was estimated lethal radius 3 metres - and that is without any obstructions between the grenade and the victim. Frags have very little penetrating power, so you can safely clear a room in a mud/clay/brick building without fear of injuring civilians in adjoining rooms. Obviously that requires you to know exactly where your friends are - which I'm guessing they didn't (but probably thought they did).
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2010 17:13:26 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So the frags from Predator, which blew up entire buildings, were exaggerated? :D
  • phAge 11 Oct 2010 17:15:21 24,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ever so slightly. :)
  • Deckard1 11 Oct 2010 17:49:47 27,247 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you forget that it was arnie that was throwing those grenades.
  • ecureuil 11 Oct 2010 17:51:17 76,527 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Easy mistake to make. I know because I'm always killing hostages in Call of Duty, so I feel I'm qualified to talk about this with some authority.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous