Dark Souls Page 918

• Page

of 1198 First / Last

• robc84 15 Nov 2013 14:40:22 5,453 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather

Well I've I've only got the 1-4 boss to do in Demon's now (and the blue dragon is toast already!). So quickly finish that and get stuck into this!

When you say 'supposed to go', I assume you mean every other way results in instant death? :)

I have a feeling I'll be dying a lot more than I did in Demon's! I miss the Nexus already :-(
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2013 14:40:33 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Did you skip the depths?
    Nope just Blighttown, got as far as Anor Londo before I jacked it in for the night (not bad for 2hrs!).
    Hang on then.

Master key?

Burg + parish + gargoyles + depths (for ember I assume?), shitetown back door? Or Front door? + sens + anor?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 15 Nov 2013 14:45:17 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @quadfather

Well I've I've only got the 1-4 boss to do in Demon's now (and the blue dragon is toast already!). So quickly finish that and get stuck into this!

When you say 'supposed to go', I assume you mean every other way results in instant death? :)

I have a feeling I'll be dying a lot more than I did in Demon's! I miss the Nexus already :-(
    Not necessarily instant death.

Well, ok then, Yes, Instant death :)

Seriously - you can go other ways, but it's a case of being very good at either fighting very well indeed, or being very good at evading and legging it. But without the knowledge of what you're legging it into, it invariably will lead to instant death.

From the off, you've got the right way to go, a hard way to go, an impossible way to go, and a secret-ish way to go. And the clue is in that sentence of where to go.

Swap the nexus for bonfires. You'll soon learn to appreciate bonfires.

I wouldn't worry about the different paths and just go the right way to begin with to get used to everything

Plenty of time for deaths and experimentation later

• quadfather 15 Nov 2013 14:46:21 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -Eks wrote:
    Had to make a return trip to Blighttown last night, I forgot the Firekeeper Soul first time through like the fool I am and after that I was planning a trip to either the Painted World or see what's behind that door in Darkroot Garden...I'll see what happens when I get home.

Got a new weapon too, Lightning Gargoyles Halberd. It's the tits so far, much better than the Zweihander I was using which takes 5 minutes to swing, it always threw my timing right off. Halberd is user friendly.
    Dammit, you're making me want to swap my zwei, but LeoliansBro will probably have a go at me if I do

• robc84 15 Nov 2013 14:50:30 5,453 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I'll start by going the 'right way' then :) Does mean literally go 'right'? :-)
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2013 14:57:10 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Might be. Might not :) But put it this way, at least you'll find out quick enough :)

• Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 15:50:29 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Dammit, you're making me want to swap my zwei, but LeoliansBro will probably have a go at me if I do
    Remember he may be all awesome now but wait until he does the DLC bosses...hello massive elemental resistances, your Zwei will win out in the end Quaddy...plus if you've going for 50 Strength for Havel's greatshield, you might as well use the Demon's Greataxe and you'll actually outdamage even the Lightning Gargoyle's halberd.

In other news I've discovered that most players don't realise you can't block the Shotel's strong attacks, finally completed my Lautrec outfit with his armour and did some invading.

So far everyone has tried turtling up against it much to their detriment.

Also I managed to kill 2 people using the Dragonbone fist!
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2013 15:52:39 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That is certainly something to remember. Physical damage in DLC. Yes, never forget that.

Can someone tell me where the bloody demon's greataxe is acquired?

You can tell I've been doing dex only for the last year or so

• Deleted user 15 November 2013 15:53:48
    quadfather wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Did you skip the depths?
    Nope just Blighttown, got as far as Anor Londo before I jacked it in for the night (not bad for 2hrs!).
    Hang on then.

Master key?

Burg + parish + gargoyles + depths (for ember I assume?), shitetown back door? Or Front door? + sens + anor?
    Depths for the Ember, killed Gaping quickly while there and homeward boned back to Firelink to take the shortcut to Queelag. Was going to do full Blighttown but I really couldn't handle the slowdown :p

Just sprinted through Sens avoiding mostly everything apart from the boss :D
  • Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 16:05:32 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    That is certainly something to remember. Physical damage in DLC. Yes, never forget that.

You can either, if you're a forest hunter, buy it off of Shiva in Blighttown or farm the Tarus demons in Demon's ruins (if you haven't gone for the Chaos flame ember there is a fuckton of them near that, suggest wearing the gold serpent ring and you're pretty much going to get one of them drop it)
  • DodgyPast 15 Nov 2013 16:24:41 8,435 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay.

Now I get the fuss about the BSS.

Who needs poise when you can hit that quickly.

Slashes hit a tastily wide area while the thrust has a huge range.

Definitely want some poise with the Katanas but when you're running light and don't want to spare a ring slot for the wolf ring the BSS gets hits in quick enough to avoid being stun locked.

Running around lower Blighttown with the evil eye ring and the rust ring.

How deep did they go with the design of this game.

Edited by DodgyPast at 16:26:31 15-11-2013
  • Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 16:36:03 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well just invaded using my troll soul level 1 character in Undeadburg...

And came across a guy really, really new at the game, he was trying to use the banishment crystal on me (which showed he'd actually read what it did but not understood it doesn't affect invading phantoms)...I honestly didn't have the heart to kill him, so I dropped him some upgrade material and left.

I'm not a complete bastard, see? All those times smacking people with a GiantDad build...I've still not hollowed...have I?
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2013 17:24:27 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Did you skip the depths?
    Hang on then.

Master key?

Depths for the Ember, killed Gaping quickly while there and homeward boned back to Firelink to take the shortcut to Queelag. Was going to do full Blighttown but I really couldn't handle the slowdown :p

Just sprinted through Sens avoiding mostly everything apart from the boss :D
    Fair do's. I can picture it now

Aye thats what I do in sens though I always stop to poison the flame lobbing bloke

What's the plan next then, kit wise?

I won't get a chance till late Saturday but I'll make a start then

• quadfather 15 Nov 2013 17:26:12 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

You can either, if you're a forest hunter, buy it off of Shiva in Blighttown or farm the Tarus demons in Demon's ruins (if you haven't gone for the Chaos flame ember there is a fuckton of them near that, suggest wearing the gold serpent ring and you're pretty much going to get one of them drop it)
    I'll do the Taurus and see how it goes. Though saying that itll be quicker getting it from Shiva though, assuming I have the requirements by then

• quadfather 15 Nov 2013 17:28:32 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Okay.

Now I get the fuss about the BSS.

Who needs poise when you can hit that quickly.

Slashes hit a tastily wide area while the thrust has a huge range.

Definitely want some poise with the Katanas but when you're running light and don't want to spare a ring slot for the wolf ring the BSS gets hits in quick enough to avoid being stun locked.

Running around lower Blighttown with the evil eye ring and the rust ring.

How deep did they go with the design of this game.
    Its good isnt it. Theres loads of little onion layers like this that you'll discover.

PITY THE FUCKING SWORD NEVER DROPS FOR ME THOUGH

• DodgyPast 15 Nov 2013 18:07:55 8,435 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather
    Isn't the long sword meant to be quite similar?

What's the lowest strength / weight great shield that's decent?

I know the Eagle shield got nerfed but is 5% damage that terrible if you've got the evil ring and reasonable armor. Thinking of upgrading mine to +10

Edited by DodgyPast at 18:08:27 15-11-2013
  • Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 18:15:25 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The best one for low strength still requires quite a fair investment, which would be the Tower shield with 30 strength. However if you're doing that you might as well put 4 more points in Strength and combine a +10 shield with the Soul of Sif to use the Greatshield of Artorias which doesn't require upgrading.

Also despite what people say, the 5% damage isn't that bad, especially since the unblocked damage is still mitigated by armour. If you're a medium or heavy armour wearer it becomes virtually nothing.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 18:16:20 15-11-2013
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2013 18:21:19 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Agreed. Everyone normally (me included) always say that a 100% shield is vital. But as you get used to the game and be more comfortable about how it works its not that big a deal dropping to 95 or 90

The artorias great shield is the bollocks as is Havel's. Bit the eagle shield whilst being only 95 is still not to be sniffed at

• quadfather 15 Nov 2013 18:22:25 11,975 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    God I fucking love this game

• Deleted user 15 November 2013 18:38:37
    quadfather wrote:

What's the plan next then, kit wise?

I won't get a chance till late Saturday but I'll make a start then
    Never used the great bow other than to fire 1 or 2 arrows, so I'll nab that on my way through Anor Londo and Giants armour as mentioned yesterday if I can get away with any of it weight-wise.

I sort of miss my Dex daggers but at least I'm quick rolling for the time being - I look forward to hearing how your set-up fares too fella :)
  • Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 18:50:12 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I do find it funny how back when I first started, I would walk slowly with my shield up, take my time (like sniping the bomb throwing hollows in Undeadburg...which you never even need to touch and can safely ignore).

Now I can get a weapon to +15 within an hour of starting a new character and with only fighting 1 boss and at an incredibly low Soul Level (usually level 15-20).
  • DodgyPast 15 Nov 2013 18:57:47 8,435 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stone armour set, except for the gargoyle helm, Eagle shield and a katana is a nice mix for low strength high endurance tanking.

Going to use up the rest of my shards upgrading the eagle shield and given the use I get out of the gargoyles helm I might upgrade that. Chuck a couple more levels on dex and vitality and I should be able to plough through a chunk more of the game.
  • GreenYamo-mk2 15 Nov 2013 20:08:11 6 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Goodfella You can skip the Taurus, either via Havel's tower or via New londo darkroot basin/ garden undead parish to get the key to lower ub. The Darkwraiths can drop slabs (they're pretty rare, but I got a trident from the first Chaneller the other day, so stranger things have happened). DWs also drop chunks on a regular basis, you can feed them to frampt to to get shards after ringing both bells.

You'd have to get a shift on to do it in an hour, but it's technically possible.

Edit: You'd still need to kill the Capra to get the key to the depths fot the large ember though.

Edited by GreenYamo-mk2 at 20:10:14 15-11-2013
  • Fixxxer 15 Nov 2013 20:28:29 1,304 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can also jump down to Lower Undead Burg and survive.
  • breedob 15 Nov 2013 20:33:37 467 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just restarted this after 2 years of it sitting gathering dust (I blame burnout on demons souls). Tried to load up my save from back then but I was totally lost so decided to start again.

I've went with a warrior class and so far have been increasing strength, dex and endurance. Any tips on decent gear? So far I've been using longsword and increased it to +5.
  • Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 20:45:51 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    I do find it funny how back when I first started, I would walk slowly with my shield up, take my time (like sniping the bomb throwing hollows in Undeadburg...which you never even need to touch and can safely ignore).

Now I can get a weapon to +15 within an hour of starting a new character and with only fighting 1 boss and at an incredibly low Soul Level (usually level 15-20).
    I'm trying to work out how that's even possible. Surely you have to kill Taurus Demon to get to lower undead burg and then Capra Demon to get the key to the depths to get the large ember, then kill stray demon to get the titanite slab to get to +15?

Not to mention the farming of souls, large titanite and titanite chunks, so you can upgrade, all within an hour?
    Right, the shortcut required to skip tarus is you need the Master Key, you go down into New Londo, out the back door into Valley of the Drakes, run past the Undead Dragon and the first two Drakes (grab the soul items on the way there, this will usually give you enough souls to buy enough Titanite Shards to +5 your weapon of choice and get it to that).

Opposite the gate which leads into New Londo when you drain the water is a lift which leads into Darkroot Basin. Kill or skip the Halberd Black Knight, run up (kill the Titanite lizard on the way up, with luck you'll get two large titanite shards), kill or skip the Ents and definitely skip the Titanite Demon (I usually take a detour to grab the wolf ring, the Ents have no poise so you can stagger them with virtually any weapon).

Tada not only will the Hellkite Drake not spawn on the bridge (since you never triggered the Undeadburg part where he flies down) you've now skipped Tarus as well, yush the Tarus Demon is an entirely optional boss.

I usually go back to the burg though to get the second Titanite Lizard just before the boss fog in the hopes he drops large titanite shards.

Now getting it done within an hour does require some luck in the form of both Titanite lizards dropping large titanite shards (so 4), combined with the 2 you get down in old blightytown means you only need 4 off of the Leeches and with 10 humanity they normally drop at least 2 per run.

Open up the shortcut then run straight from the Parish bonfire, grab the lower burg key (you only need this, you don't need to kill the Tarus demon to go to lower undeadburg, feel free to check it out), go kill the Capra Demon (why I grab the wolf ring), grab the ember, run to firelink from the shortcut.

Now this does mean a trip to the Asylum BUT if you're quick you can cause Oscar to get hit by the ball that rolls down the stairs, kill the hollow up there and the black knight usually doesn't follow that far or you can just parry him to death, which I can do fairly reliably. Parry Oscar 3-4 times and he dies, netting you the shield, then go get the Rusted Iron Ring.

If you got lucky it should be about 40 minutes in to get the Rusted Iron Ring and a +5 weapon. Now head down to Blighttown, pop as much humanity as you can and do 2 rounds of the leeches, if you're lucky this will take about 10 minutes (get down, kill the leeches, get back up and +10 the weapon).

Next head down to new londo (make sure you have a bow equipped), Kill Ingward to get the seal and go down. Once again luck plays a part here, if the Darkwraiths drop enough Titanite chunks along with the ones you find in there you can +14 the weapon.

Then head back to the aslyum and get the titanite slab, save yourself some time and don't rest at a bonfire there so you can homeward bone straight back to firelink.

Truth be told I've only managed a 1 hour run ONCE since it involves being very lucky, normally +15ing a weapon will take about an hour and 30 minutes or an hour and 45 minutes. I can comfortably do it in 2 hours.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 20:46:46 15-11-2013
  • GreenYamo-mk2 15 Nov 2013 20:46:01 6 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Goodfella No, the Taurus is an optional boss if you have the master key, the the lower UB key is in the undead parish outside the church, you can go back from there across the hellkite bridge to unlock the door without encountering 'ol bull face.

Edit: What he said ▲

Edited by GreenYamo-mk2 at 20:48:06 15-11-2013
  • Dr_Mech 15 Nov 2013 20:51:26 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I will add it involves a LOT of enemy skipping to just get what you need.

Why I'm better at 2 hour runs, there you don't need to skip enemies and can take your sweet time.

Considering there are people that can beat the game in 2 hours...my speed runs are subpar by far.

Here is the Tarus demon skip if you want to try it for yourself and go grab yourself the Lower burg key to see I ain't tellin no lies.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 20:53:46 15-11-2013
  • Page

of 1198 First / Last