Dark Souls Page 897

• Page

of 1196 First / Last

• EMarkM 26 Oct 2013 13:02:36 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yay! Thanks for all the encouragement and advice, everyone; the gargoyles are no more :)

Managed to get one more Humanity this morning, summoned Solaire (sp?) and we got 'em.

Just managed to get as far as unlocking the door to Lower Undead Burg and had a bit of a mooch around down there. Those assassin fellows put an end to me, though :(

Got a few more weapons now. Currently using an unimproved rapier, which may be the weapon mentioned at the Merchant, above (?)
  • quadfather 26 Oct 2013 13:29:31 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Phew, managed to take out Four Kings as a Soul Level 1 while only beating the following four bosses before taking them on using a fully upgraded Pyromancy glove, a +5 Fire reinforced club and the Stone armour set.

1) Sif: For the ring and first true boss I killed (not including Asylum demon in this) used +5 Fire Club.
    2) Capra: Gain access to Pyromancy trainer in the depths and thus Quelana in Blighttown.
    3) Gaping Dragon: Easy source of Souls.
    4) Pinwheel: Rite of Kindling to boost bonfire to 20 estus flasks.

Considering I ran out of Pyromancies on the third King (as in I had none when he spawned), not too shabby if I say so myself.

This was more of a trial run to see how early I could take them on and will grow into a low level griefer PvP build once I beat O&S.
    lol, that's a hell of an achievement!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 26 Oct 2013 13:29:57 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Any tips for a thief/assassin build?
    Yup! What do you want to know?!

• quadfather 26 Oct 2013 13:32:25 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @EMarkM - well done :)

Yes, those assassins are a bit of a twat. Especially 3 at a time.

You don't have to do the lower area right now. You could go elsewhere. Forest for example, after the blacksmith in the parish.

As for weapons - iirc you had around 16 dex and less strength? So are you favouring dex based weapons? This will help narrow down weapon recommendations without wasting upgrade materials

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 14:05:28
    @quadfather anything you have! I'm killing time in undead parish. Contemplating running to sif to get the hornet ring. Keeping my dagger and upgrading it, focusing on backstabs and ripostes. Any weapons I should keep an eye out? Take it I should just plug into dex and vit? Was just gonna keep the dagger and +15 it...
  • quadfather 26 Oct 2013 14:36:00 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Bill, ok, if you're going the dagger route with ripostes and backstabs, the single highest critical damaging dagger is the dark silver tracer (160). But that's in the DLC.

So next down from that, is the bandits knife (147) - if you rolled a thief, you'll start with that, otherwise it's a visit to the lower undead burg to get it to drop off the assassins.

Next down is the normal dagger (131)

However, don't rule out the ghost blade (127). It has a much higher base damage than most daggers (110), but as usual for dark souls, it only scales E with strength and no dex bonus, whereas most other daggers scale B at least with Dex. Dark Silver Tracer scales S. however, ghost blade is relatively easy to get from the start, which is why I mention it.

Then I guess there's Pricilla's dagger, which has insane bleed damage (500) and a dark damage attack too (110), but that's a while off yet. Though saying that, the bandits knife does a couple of hundred bleed damage too, thinking about it.

What weapon are you going to use against bosses though? If you're dexing it up to death, dare I say it, the BSS will suit you quite well, and considering you're in the parish, it shouldn't be too long to get (I hate saying that!)

Hornet will be useful too.

What about armour? I tend to favour the shadow stuff nowadays (Blighty), but mainly for looks :p

As for stats, as you're fast as fuck, I find you take dex up quicker than you would normally, as you don't need as much endurance straight away as you get so many attacks in + you're doing critical damage on most mobs

I'm sure the locals will pop in and add their info too

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 17:00:46
    Yeah so I'll stick with my dagger. Been looking quite a lot for a bss would you believe and no joy yet!!!! I was wondering how I would do bosses... Cheers for the dagger breakdown. Where's Priscillas? Painted world? Is it her soul plus something?

Dark set... Hmm sounds cool. I'll hunt for a bss I think then go to stinkytown.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 17:09:16 26-10-2013
  • quadfather 26 Oct 2013 17:30:43 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah its in painted world (Priscilla) can't remember if its a drop or a craft to be honest.

Haha not so easy getting a bss is it and I'd fucking know :)

Can't remember the exact stats for shadow armour but I know that some bits are pretty good. Youll have to mix and match as usual I suppose.

Yup, parish and shitetown for you my lad

• Julpero 26 Oct 2013 17:39:08 38 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @BillCityfingers You get the dagger by cutting her tail. It's one of the easiest weapons to get since she isn't aggressive before you hit her.

IMO the weapon really isn't worth the trouble of fighting her though. Lifehunt Scythe which you can get by using her soul is a lot better.

Basically it's a Great Scythe that does 500 bleed and has a bleed build-up of 50. It just does the same amount of bleed to you so you need good bleed resistance to counter it.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 17:57:04
    Yeah had the lifehunt scythe before. Don't mind fighting her she's pretty easy just never gone for her tail before. I'll get it anyway as I always enjoy a wee jaunt through the painted world and although it's decent to let her live I never seem to...

Quite enjoying this build as never bothered to learn to parry before.

@quad I've only ever found one and was my very first playthrough. I'll let you know if I find one...
  • the_dudefather 26 Oct 2013 18:14:21 9,208 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *Slogged all the way to a new bonfire
    *lit bonfire
    *died
    *realized I didn't actually rest at new bonfire

FFFfffff

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 20:21:26
    Useless barbarian kills big wolf shocker! Actually suddenly found him really easy. It must be because I've been brushing up on DS this week. Awesome. Just got the Fantastic four to go then it's off to piss people off in the depths and blighttown.

Four kings should be ok as I've got iron flesh, power within and nearly maxed out my pyro flame. Sweet.
  • Tuffty 26 Oct 2013 20:35:04 1,507 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reminded of how annoying Capra Demon is with a new character. Especially when you're going pure sorcerer and the dogs fucking are all over you from the get go.

I do like the animation for magic weapon. It's drawn out just enough to let everyone know that shit just got real.
  • teamHAM 26 Oct 2013 20:40:20 2,773 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IIRC Capra Demon was, for me at least, the most annoying boss in the entire game. Every time I done him I could either just kill him effortlessly on my first attempt, or i'd spend days wiping on him. Really bizarre.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 21:09:52
    He's a prick. Always. I fought him with my mage later on in the game as skipped him earlier. I was stupidly powerful yet he still kicked my balls a fair few times.
  • EMarkM 26 Oct 2013 21:33:15 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather Not got my latest stats to hand, but Dex and End are coming along nicely.

Yes, I'm favouring Dex weapons, and am now using a Balders Side Sword +2-ish.

Spent a little time in the Darkroot Garden/Basin area. I'd been to the Garden bit before, but I saw a lot more this time, before getting twatted by, I think, the bad chappie with the tasty ring (oo-er) at the bottom of a tower in, is it, Blight Town? Must have found a route to where his bottom floor come out.

It's going well now, thanks to you guys :)
  • Deleted user 26 October 2013 21:57:12
    @EMarkM ah havel the cock. Lovely man. Likes walks in the park and a nice chablis. I'm currently finding out naked men with big slow hitting clubs struggle in tight places with lots of ghosts. Sodding new Londo.

Still love the place though. Drips atmosphere.
  • EMarkM 26 Oct 2013 22:09:48 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BillCityfingers Heh; that's the one.

As a brief aside, I'm confused (my normal state) and looking for the answer to a puzzle. I was SURE the answer was "Dark Souls", but it doesn't seem to be.

A year or two back, I remember reading a preview of a game in a magazine that discussed other online players "invading" your game and, if you didn't want to face them, you could turn yourself into a broom or other piece of background scenery and thereby hide from them.

Anyone know what game this is, or have I completely dreamt it? Thanks.

Edited by EMarkM at 22:10:56 26-10-2013
  • Fixxxer 26 Oct 2013 22:15:05 1,304 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I now have my Great Scythe at +13 in my ultimately pointless attempt to make my guy as strong as possible without levelling up, killing the Taurus Demon or ringing the bells. My armour's levelled up quite nicely too. I'm a bit of an unexpected challenge for Undead Burg invaders which I'd be pretty smug about had I not just lost my only fight so far.
  • teamHAM 26 Oct 2013 22:18:00 2,773 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    A year or two back, I remember reading a preview of a game in a magazine that discussed other online players "invading" your game and, if you didn't want to face them, you could turn yourself into a broom or other piece of background scenery and thereby hide from them.

Anyone know what game this is, or have I completely dreamt it? Thanks.
    There is a sorcery, Chameleon, with which you can turn into a pot, bush or other inconspicuous item (depending on where you are when you use it). It's pretty hilarious if used correctly.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• EMarkM 26 Oct 2013 22:24:11 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @teamHAM Ah, so it was DS then?

Many, many thanks kind sir/lady/small furry creature from Alpha Centauri.
  • the_dudefather 26 Oct 2013 23:22:26 9,208 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh no, I'm at Ornstein and Booouurrghhh

Thisis going to be fun

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 26 October 2013 23:30:58
    Four Kings... May present a problem. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to fight properly after all.
  • Dr_Mech 27 Oct 2013 01:28:42 1,009 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are you determined to do the fight naked Bill, otherwise ye olde method of just grabbing the stone armour set from Darkroot will get you through.

if you're naked, yeah you're going to have to learn to dodge every attack, remember to get in close, perhaps switch to using the Crest Shield Oscar drops in the Asylum version 2.0 or use the Grass crest shield and twohand your weapon.

Do like I did on my Soul Level 1 run, go and kill Pinwheel, get the rite of kindling and amp up the bonfire to max. Pinwheel is a complete pushover with or without leeroy due to the high melee damage.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 08:46:58
    Yeah I was but not any more! Think I will just grab the stone armour. This is a pvp build I'm cultivating anyway so I'm not too fussed about pussying out at the 4k. This is the last thing I need to do before I can invade grrrr!

Yup bugger it. Stone armour it is. I'm just not good enough at this yet to take them on otherwise.

Already nailed pinwheel so got the twenty estus.

If you're ever up for trying to connect again let me know!
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 10:31:59 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    *Slogged all the way to a new bonfire
    *lit bonfire
    *died
    *realized I didn't actually rest at new bonfire

FFFfffff
    Been there :)

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 10:32:48 11,874 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    @quadfather Not got my latest stats to hand, but Dex and End are coming along nicely.

Yes, I'm favouring Dex weapons, and am now using a Balders Side Sword +2-ish.

Spent a little time in the Darkroot Garden/Basin area. I'd been to the Garden bit before, but I saw a lot more this time, before getting twatted by, I think, the bad chappie with the tasty ring (oo-er) at the bottom of a tower in, is it, Blight Town? Must have found a route to where his bottom floor come out.

It's going well now, thanks to you guys :)
    I see every fucker has a BSS nowadays then :)

Yeah, that's Havel, the one shot king

• ZuluHero 27 Oct 2013 10:45:00 4,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After having a DS2 fix - i might have to revisit this again now - got the itch :)

Plus all three games on the front page! \o/
  • Page

of 1196 First / Last