Dark Souls Page 838

• Page

of 1260 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 22 Jul 2013 13:04:08 2,390 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Question: The Avelyn has no stat scaling. I don't have any titanite slabs and few chunks. I have plenty of white slabs and chunks, aswell as red chunks and slabs.

If I was to modify the avelyn to a fire+10, could that be a stupid idea? The total damage output is higher than any other modification (by default, due to the non stat scaling).

Does it depend more on the ammo?

I'm a faith build if this helps.
    I think the best would be to make it into a lightning weapon and use lightning bolts. It will most probably be better at lightning +4 than Chaos or fire +5 or +10.
  • Deleted user 22 July 2013 13:09:06
    Re Avelyn, I could be completely mistaken but I thought the synergy between Lightning upgrade and Lightning bolts made it more powerful, but I'm not sure as I rarely bother with it personally.
  • Architect_z 22 Jul 2013 17:00:28 2,469 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are lightning bolts only effective if the crossbow is lightning modded?
  • Deleted user 22 July 2013 17:03:23
    No, but I seem to recall that there is a better damage output if combined that way (the fire enchant likely overrides some of the lightning bolt damage).

Take it with a pinch of salt though, as I said I could be wrong (or it could have been patched) but I think I've read that somewhere that I can't find any proof of now whatsoever.

So I could be talking absolute horseshit again (unintentionally ofc!).
  • gelf 22 Jul 2013 19:03:09 188 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm onto the final boss now and much as I've loved this game I think I'm abandoning it. He just completely destroys me. I've managed to take about half of his health using parries but I just can't keep my concentration up to do that for the whole fight. Even if I can beat him I'm ready to move on to another game so I doubt I'd try NG+ anyway.

Only problem is my OCD nagging me to find some way to win.
  • Gruff 22 Jul 2013 22:33:13 3,085 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Today was the day I finally "Got" Dark Souls, I'm a happy man.

Combat is frustratingly fair.

Judging by this thread (Which I had been uncomprehending of up till now) I have a long haul ahead and a box full of controllers to throw against the wall. Happy days?
  • puddleduck 22 Jul 2013 22:57:51 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish I had those days again :p

Definitely make a lightning Avelyn. If I recall it often staggers enemies if it hits. Lovely little PvP accessory for when sneaky buggers try and run off and heal.

Edited by puddleduck at 22:58:45 22-07-2013
  • Architect_z 23 Jul 2013 08:49:51 2,469 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck - Someone used it against me the other day, and I was just like wtf!? Completley caught me off guard.

Now I just need to find the bugger.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 09:12:29
    My PvP setup isn't too bad now. Won half the fights I entered last night which is a start. I love the chaos shotel as every little sod that had has a shield up I just bypass it completely.

Using the Dragon Breath spell when someone is running at you down a corridor is pretty fun as well.

I still panic when I get swamped though and end up blocking when I should be casting or vice versa, trying to turn round then just getting nailed.

Plus I shot someone in the back when they were at the giant blacksmith. To be fair I waited and tried to get his attention for five minutes (and that was a further five minutes after I actually invaded) but couldn't be bothered to wait any more. Queue lots of XBL hate messages. He should know better then to text on his phone when human in dark Anor Londo!!!!!
  • quadfather 23 Jul 2013 09:20:51 17,514 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gruff wrote:

Judging by this thread (Which I had been uncomprehending of up till now) I have a long haul ahead and a box full of controllers to throw against the wall. Happy days?
    That's a cool moment when it clicks - I'm jealous :)

Whereabouts are you in the game?
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 09:34:43
    @gelf roll dodge first attack then Target lock and mantain around ten feet away from him, keeps you safe from grab attack and after a bit the ai nearly always executes a lunging attack followed by a slow swiping attack. Block the first attack and the second swipe is very easy to parry. Good chance you will do it with no damage taken. The distance kept from him is key, too close and he grabs or launches various attacks, too far and he uses super attacks. At around ten feet he always uses the easy parried attack.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 09:44:16
    Gwyn used to be really easy before they nerfed Iron Flesh.

Iron Flesh > Stone Armour > hit until he dies

He's certainly a lot trickier that he used to be, but the fact he's susceptible to parries makes him one of the easier bosses (for me at least).

Solaire makes it a lot easier, if you've progressed his storyline far enough for his summon sign to appear (as a distraction which, frankly, is all Solaire ever is).

As choppi says, block 1 attack and then parry - the timing is a lot easier. Estus up after the riposte even if you don't need to - there seems to be an in-built mechanic for Gwyn to attack straight after if you're healing rather than grab which makes it a touch easier again.

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 09:44:38 23-07-2013
  • Architect_z 23 Jul 2013 13:00:43 2,469 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    He should know better then to text on his phone when human in dark Anor Londo!!!!!
    Amen to that, I invaded someone 3 times who magic ganked me as soon as I entered their game, one time I invaded they must have been taking a call or something, coz they were just stood there. So I got out dark hand, and just stood there taking all of his humanity, got about 50 humanity, and then he started moving around.
    He was casting some dark magic, but i'd already equipped a OHK backstab setup. Finished him off. He sent me some very angry messages. At which I replied, "don't use dark magic to gank people then".

^_^
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 13:40:15
    We had a right back and forth with him calling me everything under the sun. I calmly said that I was sure he'd learned a very valuable lesson :-P
  • Architect_z 23 Jul 2013 16:02:55 2,469 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some players get so riled up. Its just funny. The only time I ever send a message is if they didnt bow.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 16:11:15
    Most I've fought haven't bothered so to be honest I don't really as much now but I do wait until they are ready and bow if I win. One guy was in the middle of fighting two royal sentinels, I waited for him, even signalling I would wait until he was finished but he just came at me. Thankfully I killed him. Soulmass to the face. Done. Knight soup.

I actually appeared in front of a guy as he was running up to the fog gates in AL. He twatted me in the head with a scythe three times without even breaking step before I even knew where I was. I just laughed. Fair enough... I did invade him after all!
  • BTBAM 23 Jul 2013 17:15:34 1,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I killed the chaurus demon and it felt great!

It's all clicking into place, my zweihander 5 is tearing through enemies!

I really want to use a bow now but my dexterity is 10... Is this going to be a problem?!

I spend an hour on the game then think 'nah', then go back to it and play for hours and hours. Only 14 hours in but this is a keeper!
  • Gruff 23 Jul 2013 17:19:45 3,085 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Gruff wrote:

Only got to Undead Parish, so got tons to go.

I have tried to start it any number of times, just was never feeling it, but gave it one long session, did some research into the moves, and that helped alot. When I killed the Black Knight and the especially the Taurus Demon the feeling of exhilaration was epic.

Having a look at the Dark souls guide I have, I see the amount of work that has gone into the game is astounding, but I am not gonna use the guide (much) because I want to enjoy the journey.

Edited by Gruff at 17:22:33 23-07-2013
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 17:23:35
    @BTBAM Bows scale with dex so as long as you hit the min stats you can use them but for greater damage you need to put loads into dex... Unless you turn it into a magic/fire/lightning etc.

My first char (starting class: wanderer) used a +14 longbow with 40 dex for the whole first playthrough and served him VERY well indeed.

(as usual someone will be able to give you better advice than me though...)

Edited by BillCityfingers at 17:24:14 23-07-2013

Edited by BillCityfingers at 17:24:42 23-07-2013
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 17:49:29
    @BTBAM

You'll need 12 Dex minimum to use any of the bows. Pump a couple of points into it, grab a Short Bow and some cheap Wooden Arrows and have fun!

For a first time player, pulling enemies from a safe distance, one at a time, is far preferable than wading in swinging blindly so I'd say definitely go for it.

The more Dex you have the better bows you can use later on (and the more dmg you deal) but for situational "pulling" then the bare minimum bow will more than suffice.

edit: or you could try a crossbow. You don't need the Dex but you can't manually aim (well, you can but it's a real faff) but for only 10 Str and 8 Dex a Light Crossbow is more than a viable alternative.

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 17:56:53 23-07-2013
  • quadfather 23 Jul 2013 18:21:05 17,514 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Gruff wrote:

Only got to Undead Parish, so got tons to go.

I have tried to start it any number of times, just was never feeling it, but gave it one long session, did some research into the moves, and that helped alot. When I killed the Black Knight and the especially the Taurus Demon the feeling of exhilaration was epic.

Having a look at the Dark souls guide I have, I see the amount of work that has gone into the game is astounding, but I am not gonna use the guide (much) because I want to enjoy the journey.
    Yeah I felt exactly the same with demon's souls - took about 5 attempts with different characters till I 'got it'.

The sense of exhilaration only gets better too.

Along with all the swearing :)
  • BTBAM 23 Jul 2013 18:57:50 1,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay, I can try and upgrade dexterity, thanks. Annoyingly now I'm level 37 it takes quite a few souls to upgrade an ability! I have rang the first bell and now I don't know where to go. Catacombs? Dark Londo (hope not)? Darkroot Forest?

This hideous bastard sitting on a wall in undead parish I talked to and he said something like 'is that how you wanna play' and got up and hacked me to death while I dealt no damage is stopping me progressing further that way! What should I do with him?

Sorry lots of questions!
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 19:12:58
    @BTBAM

Ah. Sounds like you've attacked siegmeyer of catarina! He's a very nice affable fellow, even if he looks like an onion. If it is who I think it is anyway... Was he sitting outside the massive gates to a fortress by any chance?

You won't be able to progress his storyline now you've attacked him :(

Lower Undead Burg followed by the depths then stinkytown for you good man. To get to lower undead burg you need to...

Go back to the start of the bridge to the Parish with the massive firedrake on it, next to where you would have met Solaire there's a locked door that you should have a key for now. Head down there.

And make sure you go up the staircase to your left once you're down to open the shortcut back to the undead burg bonfire!

Edited by BillCityfingers at 19:16:37 23-07-2013
  • BTBAM 23 Jul 2013 19:45:59 1,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh my, what's a fire drake?! I don't recall the bridge. My reference points at that fucking dragon on that bridge and where that horrible metallic hog who's head I'm wearing was!

That's so annoying I fucked up with onion hat. He's invincible too, not sure what to do. I thought he was a statue so walloped him! Durr...

If I hadnt ploughed so far I'd start again! This sort of thing frustrates me a lot..
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 19:54:02
    @BTBAM

He's not invincible, just VERY tough.

A solution though if you've beaten the gargoyle boss fight:
    You can pay souls to 'cleanse your sin' from an NPC in the tower passed the gargoyle boss (at the foot of the ladder leading up to the 1st bell). It's relatively expensive, mind you, at 500 souls per your current SL (so @ SL35 the cost would be 17,500 souls and so on). Paying this, however, amongst other things, resets hostile NPC dispositions to you so you can talk to him again. It used to be 2k souls per SL....those were the days
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 20:59:15
    Whoo. Killed Four Kings second time.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 21:07:13
    \o/

How many more Lord Souls do you need now Hairy?
  • Widge Moderator 23 Jul 2013 21:12:20 13,831 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    Oh my, what's a fire drake?! I don't recall the bridge. My reference points at that fucking dragon on that bridge and where that horrible metallic hog who's head I'm wearing was!

That's so annoying I fucked up with onion hat. He's invincible too, not sure what to do. I thought he was a statue so walloped him! Durr...

If I hadnt ploughed so far I'd start again! This sort of thing frustrates me a lot..
    Be VERY careful about what you whack. Any new area of thing of mystery is to be approached with a raised shield and caution.

Apart from chests. Always hit them!
  • Deleted user 23 July 2013 21:27:13
    Whoop. And the Demon Firesage first time.
  • Page

of 1260 First / Last