Dark Souls Page 805

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• ProfessorLesser 21 Jun 2013 14:07:42 19,349 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...so maybe I just said no to Dusk? That was stupid :(

Fucked up the Solaire and Siegmeyer quests now as well. Really need to hurry up and start NG+!
  • quadfather 21 Jun 2013 14:36:45 10,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

Fucked up the Solaire and Siegmeyer quests now as well. Really need to hurry up and start NG+!
    Should see how much I fucked up my first character when there was no wiki :-D

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• lordofdeadside 21 Jun 2013 14:42:37 1,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thinking about getting back into this. Stopped a long time ago, I'd killed the guy who can upgrade your pyromancy and Blighttown proved more than a little annoying.

Worth starting again? Any recommended guides for starting a character build?
  • ProfessorLesser 21 Jun 2013 15:00:21 19,349 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

Yeah, looking forward to Dark Souls II ;)
  • quadfather 21 Jun 2013 15:07:43 10,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:

Yeah, looking forward to Dark Souls II ;)
    Yup - my first post will be something along the lines of, "What, so you're saying I *shouldn't* have done that then?"

:)

• Deleted user 21 June 2013 15:24:32
    All done, level 82 33 hours.
    Last boss took six tries as I struggled with parry timing. In a way a easy boss but also very hard, as soon as the parry timing clicked I killed him very quickly.
    Excellent game 8/10.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jun 2013 15:27:29 41,892 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grats Choppi, was that on 360? Time to go for the achievements as the game seemed a pushover for you.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• quadfather 21 Jun 2013 15:41:57 10,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Choppi - NG+ Four kings await! :)

Edit - congratulations by the way!

Edited by quadfather at 15:42:12 21-06-2013

• Architect_z 21 Jun 2013 15:44:04 2,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Congrats Choppi. 33 hours isnt a bad time either, not that I can remember how long it took me, im sure it took me longer than that though.

I kind of wish you couldnt parry the last boss, when I first defeated him, I was so proud that I did it, then when I realised you could parry him, everytime since, its just been Buff+Hornet+Parry = Dead Gwyn. Whether taking him on with a Dragontooth was pretty damn hard.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Jun 2013 16:08:07 16,278 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Also, if you answered no to her question she will never appear again in the game.
    This brings up a question that has bugged me and for some reason I have never actually answered no, it's the first knight you meet in the Undead Asylum, he asks you if you will carry on his journey but I always say yes. I've often toyed with the idea of no, what happens if you say no?

You are a factory of sadness.

• quadfather 21 Jun 2013 16:09:16 10,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep - You Died

:)

• Deleted user 21 June 2013 16:24:53
    I don't do achievements, I might come back to this at some point and play as pure strength vitality character as I'm sure It's fun to just batter everything.

Just bought the cave for some nice polar opposite to dark souls.
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Jun 2013 17:15:38 5,418 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    O&S tonight.

That's Blightown, Catacombs, Sens and AL done in one sitting. Phew.
  • quadfather 21 Jun 2013 17:17:56 10,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    O&S tonight.

Good going !

• FanBoysSuck 21 Jun 2013 18:24:38 1,387 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

For the emperor!

• oldschoolsoviet 21 Jun 2013 18:31:45 5,418 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    O&S tonight.

Good going !
    I can't say there were a few embarrassing deaths. I seem to have a psychological switch, badass when summoned, absolute loon when summoning. :S

Hayfever sneezing my way off the Silver Archer ledge with two summons aghast took the biscuit.
  • ProfessorLesser 21 Jun 2013 20:38:07 19,349 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well... bed of chaos was an odd one!
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 21:34:33
    How on earth would you kill that last boss without parry? I worked out perfect way, roll on first attack then keep about five metres gap. This avoids the kick and the grab and often triggers the triple attack at that range. Let the first fast swing hit your shield then the second swing is far slower so parry then attack. Didn't take damage that way. Closer or further away triggers the ai to do the power attacks that when blocked remove practically all stamina.

Just created a new character,
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 21:38:10
    Sadist.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 21:55:06
    I think overall the game got easier as it went on like witcher 2. There were a couple of difficulty spikes buy generally after o and s it was much easier.

Lava world and the one after were tough.
  • Dr_Mech 21 Jun 2013 22:07:01 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    How on earth would you kill that last boss without parry? I worked out perfect way, roll on first attack then keep about five metres gap. This avoids the kick and the grab and often triggers the triple attack at that range. Let the first fast swing hit your shield then the second swing is far slower so parry then attack. Didn't take damage that way. Closer or further away triggers the ai to do the power attacks that when blocked remove practically all stamina.

Just created a new character,
    First character through I was a Greatshield of Artorias/Demon's Greataxe strength build which meant I couldn't parry. Basically it involves having a lot of vitality, a decent amount of Estus flanks, heavy armour and sometimes just trading blows with the guy. I used Iron Flesh (back then it was actually useful) and basically fought him toe to toe. I had enough Poise even when Iron flesh ran out, that he couldn't stop me chugging an Estus flask.

To say it was a slogging match was an understatement.

On my Soul level 1 character...well that was interesting, you basically couldn't be hit AT ALL (since you don't have the stamina to shield more than 1 of his hits without it breaking your guard) so you had to nail the parry timing about 10 times in a row (even with a +5 Chaos reinforced club and the hornet ring) without getting hit or blocking.

Yeah you'll notice a lot of us actually lose interest in new characters after they've done Anor Londo, the game gets a less interesting and the final areas are just kind of gimmicky.

The game was a lot more dickish on release though, thankfully a lot of those dick moves got either massively toned down or subtly changed.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 22:09:22 21-06-2013
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 23:17:33
    Took an hour and two deaths but I've speed run my second go and just rung the bell. Level 22 funny how different it is now.
  • oldschoolsoviet 21 Jun 2013 23:34:54 5,418 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    O&S 1st attempt - abandoned after a summon killed Ornstein first. Both were down to 5% health o_O
    O&S 2nd attempt - included the previous summon, went for Smough first, and despite being skewered twice by Giant O, 3 mins tops.

About 10mins all in.

Helped out in the Depths a bit wearing Ornstein set/Q.Furysword/+3 Q.Pyro, just blazing through without thought. Great fun when you're an OP'd Sunbro guiding others, not so great when you see BPs trolling with dual Avelyns on the Depths bonfire corridor. Just no need grrrr.

Finally made it to Ash Lake, killed the Hydra, met the (new to me) Covenant, and I'm as happy as f**k. Grilled Mushrooms anyone ? Looking to Four Kings* tomorrow, setting up the DLC, and trying some other new stuff......

.....like finding Karthe, and putting my 130-odd humanity to good use. Better looking dapper for my Gravelording fun ! :)

*I need the ring from Sif, yeah ?
  • Dr_Mech 22 Jun 2013 05:04:45 940 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm interesting topic which obviously applies to Dark Souls (and it gets a mention)

Not sure I agree with him on Dark Souls being Difficult and not Punishing. While certainly not as punishing as Demon's Souls (oh you died and didn't know that there was a shortcut that could be opened? Tough shit sonny boy, run the entire level again!), it is still punishing in places.

The rather obtuse Covenant System (which is never explained ingame), the lack of explanation for some of the more important things, Bed of Chaos (because fuck you Bed of Chaos, fuck you!) and the 'long iteration time' (as the video calls it) of getting back to the challenge that killed you on certain bosses. Hell even the whole 'being human allows you to summon friendly players and get invaded by hostile players' isnt really explained, Solaire basically tells you to keep a look out for summon signs but never HOW you get those summon signs to appear.

Of course a lot of this is vastly lessened by taking the time out to explore, opening shortcuts or learning that you can just blitz past certain enemies.

It is very rewarding once you have mastered the game though. For example i wanted to do a Claw run, the only way to get them is to buy them from Shiva of the East when he goes to Blighttown. This involved a naked run past the hydra, a mad dash through the forest avoiding human and foliage alike before finally speaking to Alvina, then speaking to Shiva and then making my way down to old blightytown.

For a new player this is next to impossible to achieve at essentially starting level, the same as the Catacombs greatscythe run at the start of the game, they both usually involve 5=10 deaths but it is something I could never have done back when I first started playing.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 05:05:13 22-06-2013
  • PenguinJim 22 Jun 2013 07:43:40 5,472 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why are so many people having problems with the last boss without parry? I'm *sure* he's killed me once or twice... maybe... on my first playthrough..? And I always get through a lot of estus flasks. But I just sorta... I dunno... stay back, use rolls, I've always got pyromancy or sorcery to fling at him, get a few blocks/thwacks in when he comes to me, then withdraw, estus, repeat... the fight itself is a challenge, but I almost never have to repeat it, so I wouldn't describe him as 'challenging'. :p
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 07:55:48
    Personally I found I couldn't drink flasks on last boss as maybe fifty percent of the time he would attack as soon as you were stuck in the animation so it was too risky.
    Had to do it with my health I entered the arena with. Luckily I didn't take any damage on my winning attempt although when I knew I only needed one more parry I was extremely nervous as I had got to that point three times before and he always seemed to step up his attacks and kill me.

I'm aiming for sub ten hours on my second run, took 57 minutes to ring the first bell and meet the blacksmith, going into darkwood now to kill butterfly boss.

I killed the knight with the crest shield when first at the asylum, have I just ruined my chances of getting the crest shield?
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last