Dark Souls Page 798

• Page

of 1218 First / Last

• quadfather 17 Jun 2013 11:06:52 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:

@quadfather I take it those were the buffoons you spoke of?

I hope I don't have to fight them again.

I do don't I? I just know it. I bet I bloody do.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 23:38:56 16-06-2013
    Yup, that'll be them!

And, erm....well, you'll see :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 11:58:54
    Balls! ACh well... I'll just have to hone the old reflexes.

I have a question re: my wanderer.

Just where to go with him now really. I have a +7 bow, +10 scimitar. 40 dex and I'm now levelling up my endurance quite a bit. So.. Should I be doing magic or something now? Seen folk arp on about Int/Dex builds and I'm a bit intimidated by all the different ways I can ascend my weapon (I also have a +5 divine falchion). Just picked an occult ember thing to confuse me further...
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Jun 2013 12:29:20 17,295 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Balls! ACh well... I'll just have to hone the old reflexes.

I have a question re: my wanderer.

Just where to go with him now really. I have a +7 bow, +10 scimitar. 40 dex and I'm now levelling up my endurance quite a bit. So.. Should I be doing magic or something now? Seen folk arp on about Int/Dex builds and I'm a bit intimidated by all the different ways I can ascend my weapon (I also have a +5 divine falchion). Just picked an occult ember thing to confuse me further...
    You could consider looking into those boss souls you have been collecting. Although that assumes you've reached a Anor Londo.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 17 Jun 2013 12:32:22 17,295 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I've never really understood the need to do anything other than a standard +15 weapon cause for the most part that is the strongest route to go.

A lot of enemies are strong against lighting and fire, divine I don't see much of a point in outside of the Catacombs, and so on.

If someone can explain any advantages to me I'd be glad to hear them.
    I think it's more that it's fun to play around trying to craft the different weapons. The only one I can think of that I managed to craft that was absolutely worth it was the Furysword as that thing is devastating but otherwise I would craft them, find that they were shit and stick with whatever I had made otherwise.

I'd agree to some degree that the +15 weapons are a good way to go, my +15 scythe with crystal great magic weapon was devastating.

• quadfather 17 Jun 2013 12:36:04 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers - yeah, there's loads of things you can do if you want.

What kind of bow is it?

Perhaps a different weapon, like the uchigatana or the iaito? They're good weapons for a dex build.

I believe the balder side sword is useful too, once upgraded the right way. Though I still believe that these swords are a figment of everyone's imagination :)

Or, thinking about it, since you now have your scimitar at +10, and you've killed queelag yes? You could upgrade that via the blacksmith at Anor londo into a unique sword. Not sure if you've met that blacksmith yet - I can't remember where you are.

However, bear in mind that when you create a unique sword, often the scaling parameters are removed as part of the upgrade, leaving you just the option to get it to +5 using certain types of titanite. So bang goes your +200 damage from have 50 dex for example. But sometimes, the unique swords can be really good.

You can certainly dabble in magic. In fact, dex + int are good builds which complement each other nicely.

Some people take a weapon to +15 (or 14 if they can't be arsed getting the slab to take it 15) and then after they've pumped dex to 40, they put some points in intelligence to get access to the decent buffs that you can get. It's certainly worth looking into. You can up your damage by multiples of a 100 if you play your cards right.

Takes a bit of getting used to, recasting magic buffs in the middle of getting the shit kicked out of you in a boss fight, but it certainly helps when you get used to it.

Faith is similar, but not that much so offensive - it's mainly utility and healing, but don't overlook them.

This is why we all generally have multiple characters - dex/int, dex/faith, str/int, str/faith etc - it's best to pick 1 alternative stat from the list as it were, and focus on that. If you then want faith, you're probably better off starting a new character for that.

Basically, divine weapons are useful against skeletons. If you use a divine weapon against them, they are permanently killed when beaten. Whereas if you don't use one, the necromancers that are near the skelly's pop back to life again. Course, you could just kill the necromancer, but it's never as easy as it sounds, when the twat is surrounded by large skeletons :)

Occult is a little weirder. It scales with faith. *I think*. Do not confuse it with divine - they are totally separate. I could be wrong about the scaling though. Someone will clear it up.

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 12:39:01
    Next game will be range focused. My first playthrough has been zero magic and bow only used to get individuals to attack when they are grouped together. I can imagine the game plays so differently.
  • quadfather 17 Jun 2013 12:39:02 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    scythe, or great scythe?

• quadfather 17 Jun 2013 12:40:04 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Choppi - Ranged chars are great fun. I almost exclusively get a decent bow within 20 minutes of starting a char - definitely suits my preferred char (int/dex) and playstyle

• Mr_Sleep 17 Jun 2013 12:44:43 17,295 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it was the great scythe.

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 12:48:53
    @quadfather Yeah back in Anor Londo after my painting holiday. Not met blacksmith yet. That's a ton of really useful info cheers! Magic buffs, do you mean resin?

@Mr_Sleep Cool well I have the boss souls still so I can do unique weapons with them?

@Goodfella I may just carry on and +15 my scimitar then in the meantime as it's working for me so far.

Just get worried I'm going to come up against something that I need a +50 Super-magic sausage stick and I don't have one.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jun 2013 12:51:37 1,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I've never really understood the need to do anything other than a standard +15 weapon cause for the most part that is the strongest route to go.

A lot of enemies are strong against lighting and fire, divine I don't see much of a point in outside of the Catacombs, and so on.

@BillCityfingers

There's no need to go into magic, maybe save it for a new character. Just concentrate on getting the gear you want, the weapons you like the feel of best and upgrading them as far as possible. Also, I wouldn't go any further than 40 DEX. Just gt you END increased, then VIT.
    Elemental weapons are good for two things.

1)You have just enough stats to wield the weapon and want to dump points into other things. This works for Enchanted weapons (the Enchanted Greatscythe is a beast, A scaling in Int = ridiculous magic damage and higher than a +15 with base stats and Crystal magic weapon) and Divine weapons (for teh faiths!). The common 'elemental build' is putting enough points into str/dex to wield the weapon, then dumping everything else into Vitality and Endurance, coupled with heavy armour it turns the character into a beastly tank, with the FaP ring and Havel's ring you can midroll in heavy armour quite easily.

2)PvP, while enemies will resist elements more, players don't. Players usually have very low resistant to Lightning and Fire, it is why Chaos is a popular path for PvP, deals more damage than fire at +10 humanity, a Chaos Shotel is a mean mother trucker, able to pierce shields.

Bill, don't worry, if I can complete the game at Soul Level 1 with a reinforced lightning club (a stick with nails in it hooked up to a car battery basically) then you don't need a super duper awesome magic buffed hitting stick to do things.

a +10 weapon is enough to complete the game with.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 12:55:05 17-06-2013
  • Widge Moderator 17 Jun 2013 12:54:02 13,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this Balder Side Sword good? I was just ambling around for a few minutes yesterday and had about 4 drop.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Mr_Sleep 17 Jun 2013 12:55:11 17,295 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep Cool well I have the boss souls still so I can do unique weapons with them?
    Yep, although the requirements are not always obvious but a wiki to find the appropriate weapons for souls is probably worth it so that you don't misstep.

• Dangerous_Dan 17 Jun 2013 12:55:27 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    People use lightning and fire/chaos weapons when they don't want to put stat points into a primary damage stat.

It's for low level helpers and invaders - they want to be at a low SL and still have a lot of health + damage. Thus they put all the points into vitality and endurance and use an elemental weapon.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jun 2013 12:56:21 1,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Is this Balder Side Sword good? I was just ambling around for a few minutes yesterday and had about 4 drop.
    Don't be mean to poor old Quadfather!

But if this isn't a jab at him and a legitimate question then if you're going for a dex build they're pretty good, decent scaling and combine fast hitting slashes with a powerful thrust attack.
  • Widge Moderator 17 Jun 2013 12:59:59 13,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Obvious wind up is obvious! :D

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Dangerous_Dan 17 Jun 2013 13:02:57 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers I'd focus on getting that very large ember from New Londo Ruins. I'd sacrifice speed and put on havel's armour for dealing with those ghosts. When they swarm you it's critical to not get constantly interrupted by their attacks. Be careful and advance bit by bit, ready to retreat to not get swarmed by them.

Theoretically you can complete the game with your +10 scimitar (that theory would require quite a lot of frustration tolerance on your part though).

I'd follow quadfather's advice and get my hand on an uchigatana or iaito and get that to +15. You'll cut everything to pieces with that.
  • quadfather 17 Jun 2013 13:03:59 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @quadfather Yeah back in Anor Londo after my painting holiday. Not met blacksmith yet. That's a ton of really useful info cheers! Magic buffs, do you mean resin?

@Goodfella I may just carry on and +15 my scimitar then in the meantime as it's working for me so far.

Just get worried I'm going to come up against something that I need a +50 Super-magic sausage stick and I don't have one.
    Ah right, we'll you'll eventually come across him. You'll know when you do!

Magic buffs are spells that you buy from magic merchants once you've achieved the level of int required to cast it. So for instance, there's one called Magic Weapon. Think it needs about 10 int, or something like that. Anyway, you equip that spell (once you've got enough attunement to have a spell slot available) and also equip a catalyst in your off hand. So to cast it, flick from your shield so the catalyst is active, then cast the spell with your sword in your normal hand. You then flick back from your catalyst to your shield and rinse and repeat as and when the buff runs out. You normally get a particular glow/effect around your sword (similar to the resin effect) so you can tell when it's dropped.

Resin is similar but it's just an item that you use up to get a similar effect - and it doesn't use a catalyst.

The amount of times you can cast a magic buff depends on the buff itself, but you can replenish the amount by resting at a bonfire

And yes, you use boss souls with your sword to upgrade it to a unique item with a specific blacksmith

you do generally get more oomph from taking something to +15, and then casting a buff on it, as opposed to just using a unique sword.

However, it's always handy to have a range of stuff available, just in case. For instance, Quelaag's furysword is fast as fuck and deals fire damage. It's brilliant for cutting a swathe through those slimes in the depths if you wanted to farm some titanite for example. It also scales with humanity, so you can neck some of that to get the damage up even more, which also has the added side bonus of increasing your item discovery whilst you're farming.

handy eh

• quadfather 17 Jun 2013 13:05:56 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Obvious wind up is obvious! :D
    Wasn't sure if serious troll or.... :D

• quadfather 17 Jun 2013 13:09:22 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd forgot about the elemental reasons too - as Dr Mech says, it's great for specific builds where you don't have to dump a shedload of points to get the damage bonus up

And yes, agree again with a chaos shotel + some humanity. Evil little fucker that is :)

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 14:26:26
    So, maybe uchigatana or iaito or upgrade something to the Furysword? (I do like the sound of that...)

Where does the uchigatana or iaito drop?

Don't have Havel the Cock's armour yet, I think I come across it soon. His rings handy though I have black iron armour and the rest is my wanderer gear.

Edit: also, I have about 20 humanity in my inventory (as sprites) so I could use a chunk of that once I get the fury sword... THAT sounds like a plan...

Edited by BillCityfingers at 14:29:49 17-06-2013
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 14:32:33
    @Dangerous_Dan Will I finish New Londo or try a trip to the ruins first? I have two of those curse things that allow me to tackle the ghosts, how long does one last for?
  • PenguinJim 17 Jun 2013 14:35:26 5,957 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They last a decent time, but definitely have it as a quick-item. Be conscious that if an attack doesn't connect, it might not have missed. Then RETREAT! And recast.

I tend to forget a lot. :(
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Jun 2013 14:45:57 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers
    Oh, you haven't been to Anor Londo yet? There you'll find Havel's armour, it's hidden behind an illusory wall in a fireplace.

New Londo Ruins is the area below the Firelink Shrine. There's no New Londo, just the ruins. Not to be confused with Anor Londo, the place after Sen's Fortress.

I don't want to spoil too much - if you can, then get the Very Large Ember from New Londo Ruins (place with the ghosts). Usually that's what I do after Anor Londo.

Transit Curse -
    Lasts about 5 minutes I think and ghosts drop it - enhance the item drop rate with humanity and or a special ring.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 14:56:53 17-06-2013
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 15:02:08
    @Dangerous_Dan Yeah sorry I meant finish Anor Londo. I'm in the middle of that just now, just come back out of The Painted World of Ariamis. Ok I'll do this area first then go down to where the ghosts are. Only poked my head down there at the start of the game and legged it...
  • quadfather 17 Jun 2013 15:19:59 13,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    So, maybe uchigatana or iaito or upgrade something to the Furysword? (I do like the sound of that...)

Where does the uchigatana or iaito drop?

Don't have Havel the Cock's armour yet, I think I come across it soon. His rings handy though I have black iron armour and the rest is my wanderer gear.

Edit: also, I have about 20 humanity in my inventory (as sprites) so I could use a chunk of that once I get the fury sword... THAT sounds like a plan...
    You can get the uchi from killing the undead merchant in the undead burg. Obviously that's killing a human though, you evil sod!

The iaito is in blighttown. Can be tricky to get.

Tricky, as in, a good chance you'll die.

You can get an uchi safely from a merchant later on in the game. Shiva

Furysword is a fun allrounder. It's not the best in the game, but it's quite versatile, decent speed, scales with humanity (that's the chaos upgrade part of it that's doing that) and is good against mobs that don't like fire

Depends on playstyle, as per usual. Must admit, while I normally play characters the same way you do, I sometimes bring out my tank and 2-hand a fully upgraded zweihander. It's just raw power and (literally) knocks monsters off their feet

• Page

of 1218 First / Last