Dark Souls Page 797

• Page

of 1198 First / Last

• Deleted user 16 June 2013 14:09:59
    Likewise. Won't allow me to level beyond +10 without the very large ember.

I'm in a painting now. And there are toxic fat heads everywhere. Balls.
  • oldschoolsoviet 16 Jun 2013 14:11:54 5,459 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And in contrast:

7th October 2011 - 16 June 2013. My first playthrough complete at 103 hours and a hell of a long sabbatical in the middle.

Much like my Demon's playthrough, you just eventually hit a wall, give up for ages, and then continue to press on through sheer determination. In my final act of defiance, I slaughtered every NPC for their drops and humanity, bar my beloved Catarina 'Onions'. :D

Now, after unwrapping the PtD edition last week, I'll begin anew, armed with the precious knowledge of how to proceed, and how to actually level a character properly with a Pyro. And perhaps learn how to deal with the deadliest enemy in the game - mushrooms !

Oh, and Gravelord Servant Sword+5 all day long.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 14:26:53
    @Goodfella no cheating, don't know how to and wouldn't if I did as ruins it.

Maybe I'm confused, maybe I was +10 and then upgraded to +13 and realised I needed a slab so went and got the slab.

I remember making the effort to find the chest before I actually did the ruins fully and came back later.

Got one more lord soul to collect I believe.
  • quadfather 16 Jun 2013 14:52:30 11,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Likewise. Won't allow me to level beyond +10 without the very large ember.

I'm in a painting now. And there are toxic fat heads everywhere. Balls.
    :-D

I like your posts :)

Still stuck in there? Careful of the sewer type area. Its got some right annoying buffoons in there

There's some good stuff in the level though

And the boss is optional

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 16 June 2013 15:01:47
    @quadfather yeah found the painting protector guys outfit. Wearing the gloves as give really high poison resistance.

Crow things are cool. This level looks awesomely eerie.
  • quadfather 16 Jun 2013 15:05:36 11,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers - yup its a cool level. Very odd. Really like it. Not everyone visits it either

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 16 June 2013 15:23:51
    I never would have found it myself that's for sure. Between this and anor Londo it's eye candy heaven. Genuinely looks breathtaking.

Just a shame it's full of death and me running around screaming like a girl ruining the ambience...

Edited by BillCityfingers at 15:24:27 16-06-2013
  • Dr_Mech 16 Jun 2013 16:13:39 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You know why the Painted World is so different from the rest of the game?

It was the Project Dark demo, Miyazaki loved the area so much he wanted to put it into the proper game but couldn't figure out a way to actually link it to the open world structure of the game, thus the painted world was born and they made the backstory that it is where the Gods shoved everything that was a threat to them (aka everything the devs couldn't figure out how to work into the rest of the game).

This explains why Priscilla looks completely different to any other boss, she was designed to be like the Maiden in Black from Demon Souls but that got scrapped. The original boss of the area was Nito. Heh did you know that Centipede Demon was going to be the boss of the Undead Parish but him hanging from the side of the building looked ridiculous so they invented the Gargoyles instead.
  • Dangerous_Dan 16 Jun 2013 16:35:49 2,380 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Where did you get all those infos? Did the flames guide thee?
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 17:18:47
    Sounds like you don't need to enter the painting then, might skip it as want to complete it as fast as possible so I lose this daily desire to play it as soon as I get spare time.
  • JonFE 16 Jun 2013 17:22:08 1,442 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't skip it Choppi, it really is a lovely place. Just keep in mind that, once there, you cannot go back unless you finish the level - either by killing the boss or letting her live...

Edited by JonFE at 17:22:36 16-06-2013
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 23:38:10
    Goodbye Painted World of Ariamis, been fun knowing you, but alas, in the end. I made you my bitch.

What a level. Ruddy hard at first but once I got the hang of it it wasn't too bad, in fact, turned out to be pretty great. Levelled up 5 levels in there because of the Fat Phalanx Formation Force that I rang rings round, literally. Those crow things were bloody evil though but once I learned to wear loads of poison resistant armour the toxic fatheads were easy. I looked like cross-dressing psycho, but hey. It worked.

King Jeremiah wins the coveted Invader with the Silliest Hat award and wasn't too hot under presure from my fast little swipes. Undead dragon made my shite myself until I realised that, as usual, I was too fast for him.

Pussied out of the final boss fight though...

Right. Back to Anor Londo. After a few days off. Seriously. I see this game in my sleep.

Also. Those wheel skeletons. Shit scary when you're fighting four at once in the dark.

@quadfather I take it those were the buffoons you spoke of?

I hope I don't have to fight them again.

I do don't I? I just know it. I bet I bloody do.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 23:38:56 16-06-2013

Edited by BillCityfingers at 23:39:51 16-06-2013
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 23:43:45
    Crystal cave lord boss dead. At last a hard boss! Four attempts! Hello no one said he was invincible ish.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2013 23:51:10
    @Choppi You must be near the end, surely?
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jun 2013 01:26:03 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Where did you get all those infos? Did the flames guide thee?
    When I get into a game like Dark Souls, I get into it hard (sex pun!). Basically it involves not only watching a fuckton of various videos on lore and such but reading through translated transcripts of Japanese interviews to glean info about the game.

Though I'm always waaaay behind the wave of what people learn since I have to wait for them to translate the stuff from Japanese to English.

You know that article that was on the front page recently about people seeking to find all the secrets of Shadow of the Colossus? Well I'm basically the guy who reads everything that kind of group puts out. Too lazy to do it myself but more than happy to learn it and share it with other people.
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Jun 2013 07:07:46 2,380 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers. Your posts often contain some new insights, at least for me.

I have started a new char. The important parts are that she has dark red hair and an average body with a commoner face type.
    Oh, and she's a sorceress. I'll keep her vitality and endurance at base level and increase intelligence and dexterity.
    Right now, she is at soul level 30 with 32 intelligence and a +5 short sword at the bottom of Blighttown - Queelag up next.
    32 intelligence is a sweet spot when using the crystal catalyst. I'll now focus on dexterity and make her into a high damage/low vitality backstabbing assassin broad.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 08:49:13
    Re the developer stitching you up, the boss I beat last night was another example of adding something shit to piss off people (the crystal) AND to re fight the boss you must run for three minutes and fight six quite tough enemies before you can fight it again.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 09:19:34
    I can't immediately think of any boss fight where you have to fight any enemies at all before taking on the boss (O&S maybe the first 2 Silver Knights en route but they can be avoided too).

But yeah, the Crystal Caves was a fairly lame end to what was up until that point a really cool area in Dukes Archives.

@Dan: Int/Dex builds are the nuts, I've got a similar build (44 Int/40 Dex at SL100) for Gravelording :)
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 09:24:28
    The clam things enter the battle area with you if you try to run past.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 09:25:28
    First time you enter they can, yes (although if you save/quit they respawn outside of the fog door).

/protips
  • LeoliansBro 17 Jun 2013 09:31:08 43,672 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seath needs a run through the Crystal Caves dealing with golems and clams, but they aren't that hard really, more of a faff. The boss itself is a piece of piss though, but you have to figure out what to do. If you had trouble because of Seath's tricksy nature, just wait for the Lost Izalith boss...

Picked this up again on the weekend, went through Gargoyles (hit them to death with my Zweihander), Buttefly (hit it to death with my Zweihander), Capra (hit him to death with my Zweihander), Gaping (hit him to death with my Zweihander), Queelag (hit her to death with my Zweihander) and am 19 humanity into unlocking the shortcut with the sickly spider (might have accidentally hit her minion to death with my Zweihander which makes it a bit of a waste but no matter...).

Also great shout whoever recommended the Gargoyle Halberd - long range, great light attack animation which is fast and uses little stamina, and the heavy attack is a helpful little panic button which unfortunately takes a fraction of a second too long. Cannot for the life of me remember where the lightning ember is but I'll be sending it down that path soon as I can.

Just stuck a little on CCD because his limb glitches through the rock and I can't hit him. Might leave him for later.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• King_Edward 17 Jun 2013 09:41:37 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Re the developer stitching you up, the boss I beat last night was another example of adding something shit to piss off people (the crystal) AND to re fight the boss you must run for three minutes and fight six quite tough enemies before you can fight it again.
    Yeah. Big Hat Logan tells you about the crystal but you have to have done all his story points up until that point for him to do so, and he's kind of out of the way himself.
  • Deleted user 17 June 2013 09:41:39
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Cannot for the life of me remember where the lightning ember is but I'll be sending it down that path soon as I can.
    Just get to the Giant Blacksmith with it at +10 and a Titanite Chunk (or more, preferably) and you can do it there - no Ember required :)
  • LeoliansBro 17 Jun 2013 09:43:07 43,672 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was there really no ember for fire and lightning?

My brain is swiss cheese these days...

• Deleted user 17 June 2013 09:44:14
    Yeah, Fire is just a +5 weapon and a Green Titanite Shard (one on the drop to Vamos which is convenient)
  • King_Edward 17 Jun 2013 09:44:48 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a Large fire ember, but Vamos can upgrade to +5 Fire with no ember.
  • King_Edward 17 Jun 2013 09:47:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Just stuck a little on CCD because his limb glitches through the rock and I can't hit him. Might leave him for later.
    I've been getting this too. PS3 and PC, which makes me think it could've been patched in on purpose. You can still kill him with the fog wall tactic.
  • LeoliansBro 17 Jun 2013 10:02:52 43,672 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well it's a massive pain as without the limb I have nothing that can get to him.

• Dangerous_Dan 17 Jun 2013 10:33:26 2,380 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    @Dan: Int/Dex builds are the nuts, I've got a similar build (44 Int/40 Dex at SL100) for Gravelording :)
    Haha, cheers! I think I'll hit 32 int + 40 dex at SL54. Gonna be an insane damage dealer in Anor Londo coop.
  • Page

of 1198 First / Last