Dark Souls Page 747

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• TheBlackDog 22 Apr 2013 10:25:38 264 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Been thinking about getting back in to this after completing just 1 playthrough last year. I downloaded the DLC on Xbox but haven't done any of it yet. Does it make a difference if I roll a new char or continue with my NG one ?

Also, I read 100s of pages of this thread as a lurker but have missed everything from just before the DLC came out. The fact that so many of the same people are posting tells you what a great game this is - its in my all-time top 3 for sure, and the bonus is, my wife asks me to play it so she can watch !

Gonna go back and read the last bit of this thread later but for now, is there any major, major things I should know about the DLC or will it all become clear as I play through ?

@Deckard1 I play on Xbox and I think its the same for everyone. The game is so good though, none of the graphical niggles matter.
  • fiery_jackass 22 Apr 2013 10:26:04 388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    good spear players (esp dragonslayer) are, I find, infuriatingly difficult to beat. Tend to end up trying to outrange them with bows or fireballs or losing the will to compete and risking all for a do-or-die parry.
  • AcidSnake 22 Apr 2013 10:49:07 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheBlackDog:
    Just started the DLC myself, something major you should know?
    Well, keep the special edition name in mind...

Prepare to die... :)

The bosses are seriously pissed off in this...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Architect_z 22 Apr 2013 10:51:45 2,305 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good spear players will always keep their distance. Parrying can be difficult because, even if you parry it doesnt guarantee you'll get the riposte.
    Best way to handle spears on PvP is run to a location where that have to get close. (Like a doorway or something.)
    I tend to have alot of poise, so I can normally get away with spam attacking them to death.
  • AcidSnake 22 Apr 2013 13:42:16 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a question about the DLC though, I was helping someone out in the Chasm and was looking down at Manus in front of the fog gate when I suddenly grew dark crystals over my body?

What was that about? Can't find it on the wiki as I'm not sure what to search for...It added a small grey icon under the health bar as well...
    After about 20 seconds or so the crystals just disappeared...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• senso-ji 22 Apr 2013 13:50:01 5,330 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A good way to beat Spear fighters is to disengage lock on and run in for the back stab. Make sure you stack some poise as you might get hit going in. In fact, learning how to fight PvP without lock on is the best (but most difficult) way to get achieve success.
  • Elathron 22 Apr 2013 14:15:04 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @AcidSnake - Stoneflesh. Were you using Havel's shield for magic/phys block by any chance?

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• AcidSnake 22 Apr 2013 14:38:06 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Errr, yeah...What's that all about?

• PenguinJim 22 Apr 2013 15:25:47 5,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't started a Sorcerer class myself yet, but I've dabbled with the spells, and the stats on the starting catalyst are piss-poor.

Doesn't Faithy Guy have a better catalyst at the Firelink Shrine?
  • AcidSnake 22 Apr 2013 15:31:56 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aren't those miracles?

I use the Demon catalyst...

• SparkyMarky81 22 Apr 2013 16:35:10 529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella

If you can get hold of the Crown of Dusk and also a ring which boosts spell power, you should be able to take them out ok. I can't recall the name of the ring though. Think it's bellowing dragoncrest or something?

You can get it from the spell dealer at Firelink, if you saved him in the Lower Undead Burg. The crown of dusk can be obtained from Dusk of Oolacile once you have killed the Hydra in darkroot gardens.

Hope thats accurate but I'm at work and can't recall exactly...
  • SparkyMarky81 22 Apr 2013 16:50:38 529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella

Make sure you rescue Big Hat Logan from Sens Fortress and the Duke's Archives because his Crystal Homing Soulmass and Crystal Soul Spear spells are like WMDs against most enemies and bosses, even in NG+.
  • Elathron 22 Apr 2013 21:51:38 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also bear in mind that dex becomes important for casting speed, unless you want to be standing around casting high level spells... If you want to have dark magic dealing max damage, strength becomes a must too. I think its Manus' catalyst that scales the best for that, whereas Logan's TCC can happily scale int up to 99.
    I can recommend a 99 int character, high level fights are great when only a few casts (that hit) can win against a similar player. Against bosses it's great too, the Crystal Soul Spear is perhaps the most reliable spell throughout the NG's for killing 4K and their ilk. The only issue is that you'll sacrifice many other stats unless you level up to 200ish :confused:

Oh, from earlier, Havel's Shield gives bonuses to poise and magic def from memory. The sacrifice is that you move slower I think? Not stackable with Iron flesh.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Elathron 22 Apr 2013 21:52:58 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted

• SparkyMarky81 22 Apr 2013 22:18:46 529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Elathron

I was always led to believe that diminishing returns kick in pretty heavily once you get to 50+ int? I haven't touched it since mine hit 50.

Reckon I should pump some more levels into it? I'm in NG+ and bosses are going down like dominos as it is.
  • SparkyMarky81 22 Apr 2013 23:28:22 529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella

It's worked pretty well for me so far so it's definitely feasible. Put the rest in health and endurance and you'll be a killing machine.
  • Elathron 23 Apr 2013 00:28:52 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Goodfella Definitely so, you can you minimum str, but dex is a must up to at least 30 for casting speed. CMW also works well with that as you can enchant rapiers and the like. A flip sorc is still a deadly option if you can balance the weight right.
    Int does have diminishing returns after 50 but its still a huge difference if you're using the 3 items that buff magic. A CSS will do around 1200 damage to a Titanite Demon so I think the extra investment is well worth the sacrifice in something like strength or end.

• Elathron 23 Apr 2013 00:33:50 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted

• Elathron 23 Apr 2013 11:35:32 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Goodfella - Not completely... You'll berate the lack of stamina when it comes to certian bosses. Plus a bit of better equipment never hurts if you're going into NG+ and beyond with that char.
    I posted info for my SL200 somewhere in the last 200 pages so I'll see if I can dig out the build info... I think I had 40end/vit/dex and 99 int. The rest was attunement to take it up to 200, and the build rocked!

• Mr_Sleep 23 Apr 2013 12:19:03 16,280 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    With my sorcerer I ended up getting strength and dex up enough to wield the claymore and then enchanted that and it has been a very good investment, it's the weapon I use almost all the time.

Saying that, the enchant weapons thing can be awesome, I've upgraded the scythe to +15 and the crystal enchantment on that makes it a very devastating weapon.

Oh and as a sorcerer it's very important to follow the Logan story through to the end.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Lotos8ter 23 Apr 2013 20:49:11 2,327 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella - I missed your original question but it looks like you've found the answer anyways. The Crystal .... spells are a good deal stronger and further enhanced with Crown of Dusk and the ring that Firelink sorcerer sells are very worthwhile.
    Working on getting DEX to 40 and END in that direction will be a proper kick-ass build. Don't forget the "dark" spells in the DLC either...

Fiat Lux

• AcidSnake 23 Apr 2013 21:02:28 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @elathron:
    Never use the parry/bash so it took me by surprise when I crystallised...cheers!

• Telepathic.Geometry 24 Apr 2013 07:42:28 11,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the crystal homing mass and homing mass, and crystal soul spear and soul spear spells are fucking lethal. They will take down virtually every fucker in the game with no problems. My character's build is 40 INT, 40 END, and all the rest goes into health and attunement.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Page

of 1190 First / Last