Dark Souls Page 730

  • Page

    of 1201 First / Last

  • sid92 22 Feb 2013 20:53:36 599 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Architect_z Ye ive completed the game countless times i wanted to use straight swords loved them on demons souls but havent really used them on this i find there a little underpowered, and yes i am doing a faith build.
  • FanBoysSuck 22 Feb 2013 21:04:35 1,482 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sid92 wrote:
    @Architect_z Ye ive completed the game countless times i wanted to use straight swords loved them on demons souls but havent really used them on this i find there a little underpowered, and yes i am doing a faith build.
    I'm trying to use straights swords exclusively for my faith run. Fun but hard work!

    For the emperor!

  • quadfather 22 Feb 2013 21:39:36 12,122 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pussies. I'm doing a resistance only build with fist weapons :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • FanBoysSuck 22 Feb 2013 21:58:34 1,482 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Pussies. I'm doing a resistance only build with fist weapons :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" />
    ha I'd love to see someone try that. It would be funny if you were more or less invincible by the end.

    For the emperor!

  • RedSparrows 24 Feb 2013 21:41:18 22,648 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So boyos. I finally got this.

    I venture into Undeadburg, population: infinite. I go along, kill some skellies. I go up... into a tower. Spiral staircase, up and down: up = boss. AIII! Down = guy with massive club, insta death. Go back - only other path I can see = another mega dude, has way too much health.

    Which do I bash my head against, impotent, first?
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Feb 2013 21:51:40 17,062 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't go near the guy with the massive club just yet, he'll pound you into mush. Instead go up spiral staircase and consider how it was you did the first boss. Look behind you when you go through the fog and all will be revealed. Also, roll and run are your friends to some degree.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • puddleduck 24 Feb 2013 23:46:31 1,854 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As Mr_Sleep said, think about the tutorial boss and check out your surroundings :)

    Also, I would recommend turning around and spending all the souls you get from killing him before progressing... No reason mind...
  • RedSparrows 25 Feb 2013 00:12:18 22,648 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I liked that bit where I dropped on that boss. I guess same applies here. I lost so many souls walking through that door :(

    A drop in the ocean compared to you lot, no doubt.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Feb 2013 07:21:47 887 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dude with the club is very slow though and if you use no armour you can dance around him easily. He drops an amazing ring if you kill him as well.
  • quadfather 25 Feb 2013 08:39:19 12,122 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RedSparrows - what can really help swing that fight, is by buffing your weapon with some pine resin. There's a chest in the undead burg (not far away from circular room of death that you're near) that has some. The only problem is getting to it. Either pick the master key as a starting weapon, or go shopping with the merchant in the undead burg (he's somewhat hidden)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • quadfather 25 Feb 2013 08:40:24 12,122 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Starting gift, even. Not weapon. Twat.

    Edited by quadfather at 08:40:56 25-02-2013

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • TOOTR 25 Feb 2013 13:59:40 9,557 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows Mate - really happy you are seshing this finally. I would love to hear some blog style reactions to some of the games moments and adventures from you if you can be arsed :)

    I wish I'd taken time to record my first few playthrough reactions - golden moments, some extremely inventive profanities and a lot of pride :)

    It's simply one of the most brilliant games ever.

    Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

  • quadfather 25 Feb 2013 14:05:22 12,122 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It also brings out the biggest, loud, expletive-ridden rants I've ever encountered :)

    I remember beating the gargoyles for the first time and jumped up in the air, screaming, "YES YOU MOTHERFUCKERS! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCKERS!!"

    Complete with spittle

    /mental scars

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Mr_Sleep 25 Feb 2013 14:09:12 17,062 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would have had a whole page of a blog dedicated to me laughing at a certain boss's name :-)

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • evild_edd 25 Feb 2013 17:18:33 3,109 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started this recently (with Pyromancer, as recommended). Thoughts as follows:

    1. Lots and lots of death, mostly brought about by falling to my doom due to camera issues (flicking from locked on to not)
    2. It has to be the worst UI in any game ever. Nothing is explained. e.g. I bought some healing magic not realising that I needed an item with which to cast that type of magic. The whole using of humanity was brushed over in the game despite its massive importance - for kindling fires and 'unhollowing' etc.
    3. Continual punishment. I used some humanity to make myself human - yay! - only to then immediately have my game be invaded by some beefed up player who slaughtered me without mercy. Humanity lost.

    Despite these frustrating design decisions, I find myself strangely compelled to play on. Reckon this is one that I'll seek some online guidance on though. I dread to think how many hours you'd need to sink into it to discover everything yourself. I'll try and find some halfway home between self-exploration and tutelage...

    Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

  • onestepfromlost 25 Feb 2013 17:21:37 2,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    to be honest most of your complaints are spot on, however it is one of the best games ever. Have a look at the wiki beginner guide and play guides just avoid the walkthroughs til you have tried things yourself.
    A lot of it is learn as you go.
  • FanBoysSuck 25 Feb 2013 17:29:09 1,482 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Started this recently (with Pyromancer, as recommended). Thoughts as follows:

    1. Lots and lots of death, mostly brought about by falling to my doom due to camera issues (flicking from locked on to not)
    2. It has to be the worst UI in any game ever. Nothing is explained. e.g. I bought some healing magic not realising that I needed an item with which to cast that type of magic. The whole using of humanity was brushed over in the game despite its massive importance - for kindling fires and 'unhollowing' etc.
    3. Continual punishment. I used some humanity to make myself human - yay! - only to then immediately have my game be invaded by some beefed up player who slaughtered me without mercy. Humanity lost.

    Despite these frustrating design decisions, I find myself strangely compelled to play on. Reckon this is one that I'll seek some online guidance on though. I dread to think how many hours you'd need to sink into it to discover everything yourself. I'll try and find some halfway home between self-exploration and tutelage...
    Get on the wiki dude, you'll be fine once you understand how the basic game works. There's the old playground chat type thing going on with a lot of content, sharing stuff that has been discovered. It's half the fun in my book. There's no shame in using a walk through either, no amount of reading will help you against some of the stuff you'll come up against!

    What level are you? I made a faith build specifically for helping people out. It's a bit of a shame that a lot of the community leans towards invading these days. I've helped quite a few people out but it always seems to be the same 5 odd people catching up with me!

    For the emperor!

  • M83J01P97 25 Feb 2013 17:35:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Started this recently (with Pyromancer, as recommended). Thoughts as follows:

    1. Lots and lots of death, mostly brought about by falling to my doom due to camera issues (flicking from locked on to not)
    2. It has to be the worst UI in any game ever. Nothing is explained. e.g. I bought some healing magic not realising that I needed an item with which to cast that type of magic. The whole using of humanity was brushed over in the game despite its massive importance - for kindling fires and 'unhollowing' etc.
    3. Continual punishment. I used some humanity to make myself human - yay! - only to then immediately have my game be invaded by some beefed up player who slaughtered me without mercy. Humanity lost.

    Despite these frustrating design decisions, I find myself strangely compelled to play on. Reckon this is one that I'll seek some online guidance on though. I dread to think how many hours you'd need to sink into it to discover everything yourself. I'll try and find some halfway home between self-exploration and tutelage...
    You've gone into Dark Souls with too many modern day gaming preconceptions sadly.

    Dark Souls DOES NOT hold your hand in any way shape or form, it's specifically designed to be a game which you have to fight through in order to fully understand how the game works, and death, lots and lots of death, if all part of that concept. Which is alienating to a lot of people, again because of what they have come to expect from modern gaming, but if you stick with it, have the patience to learn the ins and outs of the game, you will discover one of the finest RPG's ever created.

    It really is worth investing your time in.
  • TOOTR 25 Feb 2013 17:39:33 9,557 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    I'll try and find some halfway home between self-exploration and tutelage...
    Yeah the less you know the better - I would really veer towards self-exploration on your first playthrough at least.

    As for some of the basics (humanity, using magic etc) people in this forum are typically great at telling you just what you need to know without giving too much away.

    That said - you can go too far with this philosophy - e.g

    I started the game at a mates place with my profile and finished the first boss ...then didn't play again for about 8 months so..... picking it up again I carried on without referencing anything and....SPENT 60 hours of gameplay without realising there was a run button.

    yeah yeah I know I know.

    I only found out when it became obvious I needed a running jump lol.

    How much of those 60 hours were due to me trudging around meandering I don't know but hey, you know what - it kind of added to the atmosphere, I really took everything in and , when I finally discovered the sprint it was like I had a whole new power up skill ;D

    Oh and I hardly bothered with the MP aspect of it at all on my first playthrough.

    Love this game so much it's obscene.

    Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

  • M83J01P97 25 Feb 2013 17:43:52 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In all fairness, you shouldn't worry about multi-player at all in your first play through of the game, not anymore anyway as the game world is full of skilled/cheating players who will just put you off the game.

    Basically, in your first play through, the only reason you should 'go human' is to kindle bonfires, then find a safe place to kill yourself to go back to hollow and carry on.

    The same was true in Demon's Souls.
  • FanBoysSuck 25 Feb 2013 17:44:31 1,482 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    I'll try and find some halfway home between self-exploration and tutelage...
    Yeah the less you know the better - I would really veer towards self-exploration on your first playthrough at least.

    As for some of the basics (humanity, using magic etc) people in this forum are typically great at telling you just what you need to know without giving too much away.

    That said - you can go too far with this philosophy - e.g

    I started the game at a mates place with my profile and finished the first boss ...then didn't play again for about 8 months so..... picking it up again I carried on without referencing anything and....SPENT 60 hours of gameplay without realising there was a run button.

    yeah yeah I know I know.

    I only found out when it became obvious I needed a running jump lol.

    How much of those 60 hours were due to me trudging around meandering I don't know but hey, you know what - it kind of added to the atmosphere, I really took everything in and , when I finally discovered the sprint it was like I had a whole new power up skill ;D

    Oh and I hardly bothered with the MP aspect of it at all on my first playthrough.

    Love this game so much it's obscene.
    Ha almost the opposite to what I said! One thing that can be agreed on though, stay offline on your first playthrough. Way too many gankers around these days.

    For the emperor!

  • FanBoysSuck 25 Feb 2013 18:00:58 1,482 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's nothing wrong with going human, it really helps with drop rates and allows for NPC summoning. Just don't bother signing into live/psn. There's a few fights where summons npcs is very useful for new players.

    For the emperor!

  • FanBoysSuck 25 Feb 2013 18:09:11 1,482 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @FanBoysSuck

    I know, I have completed it five times. :p />

    Point is not to be pre-occupied with being in human form.
    I guessed as much, I wasn't having a go ;)

    Agreed its not that much of an issue but a few cool things do happen only when you're human. I can't imagine playing through the game without summoning sun bro!

    Edited by FanBoysSuck at 18:33:51 25-02-2013

    For the emperor!

  • quadfather 25 Feb 2013 18:22:02 12,122 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @evild_edd - you'll click, don't worry. Actually it sounds like you've almost clicked.

    Come in here and ask questions and it'll be fine. In fact, it'll be better than fine - yoyre about to embrace possibly one of the best games ever created.

    I don't think I need to answer any of your questions aseveryone else has jumped in to help :)

    Enjoy, and add us all to your friends list for jolly cooperation :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • quadfather 25 Feb 2013 18:23:15 12,122 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rolled another dex char last night. Lol, 350 hours and still counting !

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Page

    of 1201 First / Last

Log in or register to reply