Dark Souls Page 690

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• Paulie_P 11 Jan 2013 11:12:54 410 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Paulie_P wrote:
    Finally beat that Capra Demon, only used one flask too and did it Mano-a-Mano not using the fling dung monkey method!
    Gratz!

That is probably the hardest early fight out of the way, the boss you fight in the depths, even though I had trouble with it (took me 4 tries, compared to Capra's 2) is actually really easy once you know the strategy for it.

There is probably only one fight harder than Capra in the game IMO and is a pain in the arse to do solo, trust me you'll know the fight when you get to it but you're some way off.

Key word of advice for your next boss...when he charges you, get out of the way, even blocking will get you insta-killed. Learned that the hard way. Oh and go for his tail first.

I'm on the home stretch now it seems Priscilla down (tail cut off too!), Ceaseless Discharge, Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon and Bed of Chaos down. Just Pinwheel, Nito and Seath left before the final boss.
    Thanks for the advice - I'll keep that in mind when I come up to the next boss!

Oh and thanks to everyone who gave advice on the Capra demon fight.

Loving this game but I'm finding that I can't really play it in long doses, I came up against the Capra demon and after several attempts and close calls (especially the one mentioned earlier in this thread), I had to walk away from the game. I came back to it a week later and beat it in two tries.
  • FourSevenZero 11 Jan 2013 11:13:22 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeh, you can still pick the Sunlight Maggot up (highly recommended!) I messed up Brolaire's questline again! and went back and got it okay. Only trouble is getting past the Titanite Demon on the bridge :)
  • Elathron 11 Jan 2013 20:11:21 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @FourSevenZero - You can run past his (the tit demon) left hand side and jump just as you see him go to attack. He hits you about 10% of the time, but the rest of the runs you can simply sprint to the end of the bridge and he won't even follow you halfway. Or, if you have an int build, just spam Soul Spears & Crystal Soul Spears (while using TCC, BDC ring & the Dusk Crown) - it doesn't take too many to bring him down for 2 demon's titanite...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• fiery_jackass 11 Jan 2013 21:35:21 456 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    Dark magic does physical damage
    That's not correct, I think. The game's statements aren't borne out by the evidence. GMB blocks almost all dark magic damage. They do, however, knacker your endurance and a high stability shield plus loads of END will see you right.
  • sanctusmortis 11 Jan 2013 23:59:14 9,627 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just started. Following seraphim17's video guide on YouTube, just got to the dragon that has the ridiculously powerful sword as a reward for taking the tail. Bugger turned immediately making it impossible for me to do it, so running with the Uchigatana for now.

Had a fair few silly mistakes - have used Humanity a few times by accident so I'm at 7 now, and got ROASTED by the dragon trying to goad him from his perch - but getting the hang of it. Perfect riposte timing eludes me though, as I never seem to get the damn parry right.

Edited by sanctusmortis at 23:59:54 11-01-2013
  • Kingcuong 12 Jan 2013 00:06:08 19 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Kingcuong wrote:
    Vaatividya on YouTube has an AMAZING lore series. I just found him today! Well made and very informative.
    Is that the "prepare to cry" lore series?

Having watch that series it made me thinkg "christ does nothing end happily in the souls series?!"

The game just loves subverting the 'Good Deeds' the player does doesn't it?

The only one that had a possibly, even remotely happy ending is is Solaire if you save him, since he links the fires in his own world, even that is dubious as to whether it is a happy ending or not.

Also the Dark Wraiths have a very slim chance of dropping Titanite Slabs, I managed to snag one off them in my first farming run.

Edit:
    Also this image did make me chuckle.
    http://i.imgur.com/hw2El.jpg
    Dark souls is one of the darkest games I've played, everyone's story is full of false hope and despair. We've got Patches and the in perfect dragons scheming behind your back.
    We've got the hopeless stories of Rhea being betrayed by Petrus.
    The siblings of Izalith and their harrowing tale.

Every single npc, ourselves included, either dies, goes mad, hollow out, and countless other sources of despair.

Even some of the bosses we kill; Sit, Ceaseless Discharge, are doing no harm. They are just in our way.

I just love how deep the stories go, and how vague and hidden some of story arches are.

Most definitely my game of the decade. Maybe game of my life time!!! Zelda OoT has been number 1 but I think nostalgia keeps it there.

Dark souls 2. Hurry up. I'm preparing to die again.
  • puddleduck 12 Jan 2013 00:38:52 1,853 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would suggest you stick a spoiler tag or two on that chap ;)
  • Dr_Mech 12 Jan 2013 05:18:00 990 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Just started. Following seraphim17's video guide on YouTube, just got to the dragon that has the ridiculously powerful sword as a reward for taking the tail. Bugger turned immediately making it impossible for me to do it, so running with the Uchigatana for now.

Had a fair few silly mistakes - have used Humanity a few times by accident so I'm at 7 now, and got ROASTED by the dragon trying to goad him from his perch - but getting the hang of it. Perfect riposte timing eludes me though, as I never seem to get the damn parry right.
    What you need to do is save up souls, buy about 20 Heavy arrows, go under the bridge on the right hand side and you should have your perfect sniper spot, fire 1 arrow, let him do his 'fly down to the bridge' thing, he'll stomp around for a short while then fly back, repeat this until the tail comes off.

I will say that you're probably better off using a normal weapon, the Drake sword develops into something of a crutch that you rely on due to being so overpowered for the early game but it is completely useless late game, I used it up until I could get my chosen sword (Claymore at the time, currently use Butcher's Knife +15) up to +5, with my stats it meant I was only doing 10 damage less than the Drake Sword and had the option to upgrade it later on.

Of course you actually need to cut it off anyway for the 'collect all the rare weapons' achievement.

If you're using one of the Katana subset (which you are) and a high dex build at around level 30 and upgraded to atleast +5 then they will outpreform the Drake Sword due to both the speed and on certain bosses, the bleed damage.

With Parry the best tip I've heard is time it so that it is not when the weapon would hit you, but the enemies hand hits you (if they're using a sword), the hand will hit you earlier than the blade will if they swing it mind you this is coming from someone who, thanks to building a Tank build, rarely parries.

Also thanks guys for the tips, got the item I was after, which will make the Tomb of the giants much easier but heading to Duke's Archives for now

Edited by Dr_Mech at 05:23:32 12-01-2013
  • Architect_z 12 Jan 2013 08:57:02 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Anyone got ideas for a more fun or different type of build, I'm bored of the same standard dex, strength or mage based builds?
    I made a hunter build, that was good fun, quite tough aswell.
    Choose a bow, get it to +15, and use it as a primary weapon throughout the game. No shields. ^_^
  • Architect_z 12 Jan 2013 09:35:09 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Lol, that sounds like it could be rather hard. What bow did you use?
    I used a +15 Longbow for the whole thing. And mainly used a combination of poison arrows and heavy. But I always had max standard arrows for a backup.
    In terms of stats is was mainly a Dex build. (Longbow scales S with Dex at +15)
    You'd be suprised at how good the build is, Blightown is very fun with this build, taking out those giant mosquitos is so satisfying.

You do need a sword to help you with some of the game. I had a devine shortsword (For the Skellys), and eventually got a Falchion+15.
    But I only used them as secondary weapons. It's fun if you wanna try something different.
    You rely on evade so much, I didnt use any sheilds or heavy armours.

Edited by Architect_z at 09:37:33 12-01-2013
  • FanBoysSuck 12 Jan 2013 10:03:20 1,441 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    That's not correct, I think. The game's statements aren't borne out by the evidence. GMB blocks almost all dark magic damage. They do, however, knacker your endurance and a high stability shield plus loads of END will see you right.
    I'm going off what the wiki and spell description says. ENB also mentioned it in his dark souls videos. It just may be the case that GMB blocks spells no matter what the damage type.

For the emperor!

• Architect_z 12 Jan 2013 10:07:03 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Great magic barrier is great against any magic. As a faith user, i've invaded many people who have tried to gank me with dark magic. You take next to no damage when GMB is activated. I'm assuming its purely magic damage. I don't believe GMB guards anyone against physical attacks.
  • teamHAM 12 Jan 2013 10:48:40 2,739 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Magic is physical, but doesn't do physical damage. It's 100% magic damage.

So, your stamina and poise will be affected by it, but Great Magic Barrier will also block it.

Hope that makes sense. :)

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Lotos8ter 12 Jan 2013 10:55:35 2,350 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:Hope that makes sense. :)

Fiat Lux

• Dr_Mech 12 Jan 2013 12:12:07 990 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phew.
    Seath down, now Seath wasn't the problem, cutting that god damn tail was 10 tries before I finally cut the fecking thing off, whoever decided to make only the smaller part of his tail count should go jump in a fucking river...Once the tail was off he was rather easy, just wailed on him two handed to finish him off, had the Cursebite ring equipped which nullified the curse aspect.

That now means I've finished all the tail cuts required for the Knight's honour achievement but...there are some weapons I forgot to pick up, will pick them up in NG+ though since they're treasures rather than drops (apart from one...).

Now probably the worst two areas in the game coming up...so not looking forward to that...

Current main stats:
    31 Vitality.
    40 Endurance
    40 Strength.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 12:14:53 12-01-2013
  • Architect_z 12 Jan 2013 12:19:56 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Can't remember exactly, but I believe 3 of the weapons require Sifs soul.

Most of them you can get from NG+. Are you going for the platinum?
  • Dr_Mech 12 Jan 2013 12:23:06 990 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah not going for full platinum...well I will IF it happens along the way, just want the Knight's honour achievement.
  • Elathron 12 Jan 2013 12:29:31 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    Dark Magic does however, scale with strength. At 99 strength and int, the manus catalyst with the other magic buffs will create a 1300dmg dark bead. That's a truly scary prospect.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 12 Jan 2013 12:37:02 11,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    Lol, that sounds like it could be rather hard. What bow did you use?
    I used a +15 Longbow for the whole thing. And mainly used a combination of poison arrows and heavy. But I always had max standard arrows for a backup.
    In terms of stats is was mainly a Dex build. (Longbow scales S with Dex at +15)
    You'd be suprised at how good the build is, Blightown is very fun with this build, taking out those giant mosquitos is so satisfying.

You do need a sword to help you with some of the game. I had a devine shortsword (For the Skellys), and eventually got a Falchion+15.
    But I only used them as secondary weapons. It's fun if you wanna try something different.
    You rely on evade so much, I didnt use any sheilds or heavy armours.
    That sounds quite fun

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• FanBoysSuck 12 Jan 2013 12:39:07 1,441 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Dark Magic is physical, but doesn't do physical damage. It's 100% magic damage.

So, your stamina and poise will be affected by it, but Great Magic Barrier will also block it.

Hope that makes sense. :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" />
    Ah right, that's for the clarification :)

For the emperor!

• Architect_z 12 Jan 2013 12:49:59 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather, it is suprisingly alot of fun, especially when you back track and start taking enemies out with 1 arrow. Some bosses can be a tad difficult, and I had to borrow some help from Brolaire.

Its fun to co-op with aswell, you can be like a support character, and the arrows can be suprisingly effective against bosses.

Not really a class as such, but it was very fun.
  • Dr_Mech 13 Jan 2013 12:37:25 990 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well thank fuck for that...

Gwyn is down and now onto new game plus. Did it man style (no parrying), +9 complete Elite Knight's set, +15 Butcher's knife and +3 Greatshield of Artorias (don't really see the point in going to +5 since it only upgrades the bash damage). Fucker stomped me when I first went in there though.

Had some Pine Resin left over and since I'd beaten the tutorial first time in regular game decided to go for the route you're suppose to go, buffed the Butcher's sword with the resin and 1 plunging attack nearly killed him, just had to do a normal two handed swing after that.

Same thing with the first boss but it took 3 two handed swings after the drop, managed to stagger the bastard too.
  • Elathron 13 Jan 2013 14:19:17 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dr_Mech Well done dude! You'll find the bosses fairly similar until you get to O&S, NG+ is where you can show off a bit initially. But I think the game designers knew this and they ramped up the difficulty for when you least expect it. The staggering of bosses is quite a fun mechanic, even more amusing when it's mega Smough who teeters on his feet while giggling like a schoolgirl :p

• Architect_z 13 Jan 2013 14:26:50 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Congratulations on your completion. ^_^

Aye killing that mofo in NG+ is so much fun, literally killed him in 1 on my first NG+.

Dragon Tooth+5 with sunlight weapon. 1 hit kill!
  • Elathron 13 Jan 2013 17:06:37 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rargh! Internet going at 0.1mbps DL & 0.4 UL. No XBL, keeps cutting out; engineer won't be here 'til the 21st. Wonderful.

• Architect_z 13 Jan 2013 17:31:28 2,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That sucks. Who is your provider?
  • teamHAM 13 Jan 2013 19:53:19 2,739 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Elathron

Sucks. Was going to ask you to give me a hand on Kalameet, getting his tail :p I haven't tried it yet but planned to tomorrow.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Page

of 1193 First / Last