Dark Souls Page 683

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Dr_Mech 5 Jan 2013 09:09:36 940 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And done! Christ 30 minutes for one fight...

Phew that was one hell of a fight, kept Smough between me and Ornstein, hit him with a +1 lightning claymore when I had the chance and whittled him down, switched to my +10 Butcher's Knife for Giant Ornstien.

I did kind of tank that fight, Greatshield of Artorias +3, un-upgraded Stone Guardian set (mainly for the lightning defense), thankfully the slow roll was enough to avoid his ranged lightning attacks and roll away from him when he went for his one hit kill.

Learned what moves I could punish, though usually only with a single hit, sometimes two (his three swing finished with an overhead smash, his charge into uppercut and his four hit combo but only if it went the full four hits), actually kept him at about midrange, giving me enough time to back away from his arse slam/roll away from his OHKO.

The Greatshield of Atorias is freaking AMAZING, even take full hit from Smoughs charge and smash would only knock me down to two third Enduance.

As mentioned my Xbox is purely offline, I can't connect it to the internet since I don't have the wireless thing for it and being an older model it requires it. This does provide both a curse and a blessing, elemental weapons have not been nerfed, I can kill the Hellkite Dragon with arrows under the bridge but also suffers from the fact that Blighttown freaking tanks my framerate in certain areas.

So it was basically an all or nothing, if I left to farm humanity getting back would have been a pain in the arse to get back even with all the shortcuts unlocked.

I think the neighbours might think me crazy for yelling "IN YOUR FUCKING FACE!" at the top of my voice though.

Current main stats on the character:
    38 Strength.
    27 Endurance.
    21 Vitality.
    17 Dex (to be fair three of these were wasted points, needed to get it to 14 to use the Drakesword though, wish I'd left it at that).

Edited by Dr_Mech at 09:22:29 05-01-2013
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Jan 2013 09:44:50 5,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great job, that might be the most difficult fight done... unless you're buying the dlc.
    I wouldn't worry about a few points wasted in Dex- people who complete the game at sl1 are evidence that skill makes up for any supposed shortfall. But, actually, you might want to use the Black Knight strength weapons later on and they require 18 dex...
    I'd get strength up to 40 to unlock a few more swords/axes to use and then pump endurance and, particularly, vitality more. 21 is low for your first time through the later bits.
  • Dr_Mech 5 Jan 2013 09:59:34 940 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah I was planning to go 50 Strength just because, well, I doubt many people one hand stuff like the Great Dragon King axe and that the Butcher's Knife gets a B scaling with Strength (I think it actually becomes A scaling when fully upgraded) meaning once I have it to +15 it'll actually outpreform the Black Knight greatsword.

I shall probably halt at 40 and do as you said, pump up vitality and Endurance.

And yeah it took 30 minutes because I was being extra cautious and only punishing moves I knew I could get away with it.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 10:04:53 05-01-2013
  • teamHAM 5 Jan 2013 10:56:06 2,412 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you want to go to 50 strength and 1H those weapons then be prepared to have a lot of patience and also tonnes more endurance than you currently have.

It's all very well these weapons hitting hard (which they do) but they also take an age to swing which leaves you vulnerable and also cost a lot of stamina.

Obviously you can use items to help your stamina regeneration like Cloranthy Ring, Grass Crest Shield, Mask of the Child and Green Blossom.

Edited by teamHAM at 11:16:39 05-01-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• quadfather 5 Jan 2013 11:10:26 10,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    I think the neighbours might think me crazy for yelling "IN YOUR FUCKING FACE!" at the top of my voice though.
    glol :)

Did that with the gargoyles first time

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 5 Jan 2013 11:51:52 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - As Lotos8ter put, pillars are your friend. I tend to try and get in a position where Orns is behind Biggie Smoughs, but be aware using this tactic as Orns still can attack you through smoughs body.

If you have plenty of Strength, take a greatshield into the fight, as both of them attacking can lead to you being stunned, this will happen alot less with a greatshield.

But basically in short points. High level weapon > Charcoal Resin > Use pillars > Try and trap Orn behind Smoughs fat ass.

Good luck dude. ^_^

EDIT: After all that, youve defeated him. lol. Well played dude.

Edited by Architect_z at 11:52:44 05-01-2013
  • Architect_z 5 Jan 2013 12:03:42 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love those moments in the souls games. A boss that you cannot overcome, and when you do, you literally jump up and shout "F**K YOU!!!"

When I finally killed the flamelerker in demon's souls, I literally threw my controller against the wall in pure success-based-adrenaline, with the following "HA HA I GOT YOU, YOU F***ING T**T-FACED C***!!!"!

Luckily the pad is ok, and had I thrown it 3 inches to the left, it would have gone straight into my 40" HD TV. At which point I wouldnt have cared anyway, I was still high on the euphoria of killing the Flamelerker. ^_^

Edited by Architect_z at 12:04:15 05-01-2013
  • erekose200 5 Jan 2013 18:27:08 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OMG, does anyone else feel like they are the dumbest players alive on this game sometimes? I had this invader down to a slither of his health and he was back pedalling for his life to try and get a sneaky heal in. So I go in like a reckless foo,l flailing like mad, my previous caution and steady calm suddenly vanished and he leads me right into a giant mushroom that one-shots me.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dumb.....!

For all that I learn and improve at this game I still get these kind of moments where my own lack of patience and complacency overrule my better judgement.

Edited by erekose200 at 18:30:55 05-01-2013
  • Cannon_Fodder 5 Jan 2013 22:22:11 210 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dr_Mech Congrats.

Reading this thread has gave me the DS itch again and I've started pushing back through on PC (previously completed it twice on Xbox 360). I have just passed the same point as you. Tried to go it alone, but in the end ended up summoning two fellow players to assist me.

I have a question. If I'm going for a Dex/Faith build, does anyone recommend a specific weapon of choice to upgrade? I've been swapping between the Lightning Spear and Astoras Straight Sword (+3) but I'm just not making the damage I feel like I should be (I seemed to massacre enemies last playthrough with my upgraded claymore). The plan is to join the Darkmoon Cov once I've been through the tombs.

Current stats:

SL-59
    Vit-29
    Att-12
    End-19
    Str-16 (Two wasted points, possibly got them for the Drake Sword but Astoras has been so much better to use)
    Dex - 30
    Res - 11
    Int - 8
    Faith - 16 (aiming to grind this to around 50ish).

I bloody love this game, but when it comes to knowing about items i'm utterly incompetent.

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• fiery_jackass 5 Jan 2013 22:46:47 390 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh! The joy of using Great Magic Barrier on Dark Magic amateurs in PvP. Never gets old.

Edited by fiery_jackass at 22:47:06 05-01-2013
  • teamHAM 6 Jan 2013 00:32:45 2,412 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cannon_Fodder wrote:
    @Dr_Mech Congrats.

Reading this thread has gave me the DS itch again and I've started pushing back through on PC (previously completed it twice on Xbox 360). I have just passed the same point as you. Tried to go it alone, but in the end ended up summoning two fellow players to assist me.

I have a question. If I'm going for a Dex/Faith build, does anyone recommend a specific weapon of choice to upgrade? I've been swapping between the Lightning Spear and Astoras Straight Sword (+3) but I'm just not making the damage I feel like I should be (I seemed to massacre enemies last playthrough with my upgraded claymore). The plan is to join the Darkmoon Cov once I've been through the tombs.

Current stats:

SL-59
    Vit-29
    Att-12
    End-19
    Str-16 (Two wasted points, possibly got them for the Drake Sword but Astoras has been so much better to use)
    Dex - 30
    Res - 11
    Int - 8
    Faith - 16 (aiming to grind this to around 50ish).

I bloody love this game, but when it comes to knowing about items i'm utterly incompetent.
    As you said you are going to 50 faith you should have an occult weapon, then if Darkmoon Blade is your thing also have a +15 that scales well with dex so you can buff it. Since you put 16 points in Str then Claymore is a good choice. That and Great Scythe go well as Occult weapons (Faith) and also +15 buffed with Darkmoon Blade. If I were you I'd stop putting shards into upgrading Astora Straight Sword as it's really not very good once you are a little bit into the game.

You can take both Great Scythe and Claymore to +5 normal to see which one you like the best in terms of movesets, and they will both probably give you a decent damage boost on what you are doing now. And then a bit later on when you have tried them both out and have all the embers you can take one to +15 for DMB and the other one to +5 Divine and then +5 Occult.

• Dr_Mech 6 Jan 2013 01:15:16 940 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    erekose200 wrote:
    OMG, does anyone else feel like they are the dumbest players alive on this game sometimes? I had this invader down to a slither of his health and he was back pedalling for his life to try and get a sneaky heal in. So I go in like a reckless foo,l flailing like mad, my previous caution and steady calm suddenly vanished and he leads me right into a giant mushroom that one-shots me.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb dumb.....!

For all that I learn and improve at this game I still get these kind of moments where my own lack of patience and complacency overrule my better judgement.
    Heh there are many times the game has made me pay for my hubris, seeing a single lone enemy in a room, rush in thinking "oh this will be easy" suddenly notice there were two enemies hiding either side of the doorway that i couldn't see before...and "YOU HAVE DIED"...
  • Cannon_Fodder 6 Jan 2013 01:15:39 210 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM Thanks for your reply. I boosted the Astora Straight Sword to +3 so that I had something decent early game but haven't put any other shards into it.

I'm afraid I believe I have wasted my Divine Ember on Ricards Rapier. This again comes down to naivety and lack of understanding, but it isn't much of an issue since I'm aiming for SL 120 and will have a chance to get it again NG+. For some reason I had in my head it could do with the boost from my faith, but I believe it's actually better +15. I'll keep it Divine for now for running through the Tombs, at least it'll come in handy there, then work on getting that Claymore to +15.

Cheers!

• puddleduck 6 Jan 2013 02:04:36 1,850 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder

Astora Straight Sword will do the tombs for you. I would definitely look at Ricards Rapier as your +15 and buffable weapon and your claymore as occult. Seeing as your dex/faith char, the Rapier will scale better with your dex, whilst the occult claymore will scale well with your faith.
  • erekose200 6 Jan 2013 02:18:09 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr_Mech

Exactly.. it literally beats you up until you learn. It demands total concentration and when you're in that state and firing on all cylinders it's fantastically satisfying. But there's that other part of me, the lazy complacent side constantly lurking, ready to come out and make a fool of myself!
  • erekose200 6 Jan 2013 06:50:36 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My god lag/teleport-stabbers are annoying.
  • Architect_z 6 Jan 2013 09:26:01 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Its kind of a shame that there arent many weapons that scale well with faith. The Claymore is good, but there seems to be tons of weapons that scale A with enchanted modifying.

I dont see any reason why the Cresent Axe doesnt scale A with faith.
    Who knows.

Occult Rapier+5 is decent with hornet ring. Normally gives backstabs/riposes of over 1000 (at 50 faith).
    A Shotel+15 with darkmoon blade is a great weapon to invade with, some people are clueless to the fact it ignores shields, and just tank up in the corner while you hack away at their health. mUhahaha
  • HitchHiker 6 Jan 2013 09:37:16 2,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally bought this yesterday and kind of regret it at the moment. The Asylum Demon is turning me into bloody mush every time. I'm just not any good and it sounds like it only gets harder. :(
  • Cannon_Fodder 6 Jan 2013 10:01:34 210 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Finally bought this yesterday and kind of regret it at the moment. The Asylum Demon is turning me into bloody mush every time. I'm just not any good and it sounds like it only gets harder. :(
    @HitchHiker Honestly the game isn't really difficult, it just takes persistence and confidence. I was so weary when I was in my first playthrough of everything! The game had built up a real sense of fear in me. I was worried what would come around the next corner because it had took me so long to progress. After I got around that, it isn't so bad. I've been through it a few times now so I pretty much know what to expect, if I die it is usually because I have made a mistake and deserved to be punished for it. Once you're in that mindset of just wanting to kill what is in front of you to collect souls or move onto the next epic moment the game seems to loose the tension and really becomes comfortable. Don't let all of the claims of its difficulty put you off.

Since you're right at the beginning, do you run past the Asylum Demon on your first encounter? You aren't supposed to fight him from the off, you're supposed to run right through a door and continue with the rest of the tutorial. There you pick up your Estus Flask, a shield, a better weapon. You then meet the Asylum Demon again and get the advantage by dropping down from above on him, taking a considerable amount of HP..

If you are doing all of the above and still struggling all I can suggest doing is learning his attacks. After a little while you'll learn by his animations what is coming and how you need to react/dodge/punish. Check out some YouTube videos if all else fails, I have it on my channel but I wouldn't like to post it up on the public boards. If you're still struggling let me know and I'll PM you the link.

Architect_z wrote:
    Its kind of a shame that there arent many weapons that scale well with faith. The Claymore is good, but there seems to be tons of weapons that scale A with enchanted modifying.

I dont see any reason why the Cresent Axe doesnt scale A with faith.
    Who knows.

Occult Rapier+5 is decent with hornet ring. Normally gives backstabs/riposes of over 1000 (at 50 faith).
    A Shotel+15 with darkmoon blade is a great weapon to invade with, some people are clueless to the fact it ignores shields, and just tank up in the corner while you hack away at their health. mUhahaha
    @Architect_z I am one of those people. It's too late for me to go back on Ricards Rapier, so I will ascend it to occult +5 this game and then do the same to another weapon NG+, at least then I'll have some variety. Interesting take on the Shotel, maybe i'll +15 that and then the claymore next game.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 10:09:49 06-01-2013

• Architect_z 6 Jan 2013 10:38:58 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @HitchHiker - Yes I was worried when I first tried to take down the Asylum demon. It took me a couple of tries.
    Firstly, Dark Souls is a pretty punishing game. I'd say more so at the start. Later on you'll have access to better armour, weapons, upgrades.....etc to balance it more in your favour. So continue to try, with the souls games, perseverance will eventually result in success.

Asylum Demon help: You can lock on to enemies using the R3 button. My suggestion would be to run round the side of him when hes busy attacking. A roll will help you evade an attack. Locking on and off at the right time can help you with this boss, locking off and running around the boss can be a much faster process, then side stepping while locked on etc.
    Also (one of the more useful pieces of advice when I started Dark Souls) your shield can block more than you imagine.

Edited by Architect_z at 10:49:22 06-01-2013
  • teamHAM 6 Jan 2013 10:40:59 2,412 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder

Just to confirm you give the Divine Ember to the Blacksmith, and can take multiple weapons to Divine after doing this. And in case you didn't mean that and meant you wanted to take Ricard's Rapier up the normal path rather than divine, then you can reverse your weapon ascension at the Blacksmith too.

If you already have the Claymore and the Divine ember, it'd be rude not to ascend it to +5, and then Divine +5 to start you off. As others have said the Astora Straight Sword will do you for Catacombs/ToG skeletons but a Divine +5 Claymore will do it better. For a non-Faith build the Astora Straight Sword and Silver Knight Spear are two weapons with passive Divine properties making it useful on skellies. However for a faith build you want to put all that faith to good use and shoot for something better.

As has been said if you want to poke stuff a lot the Rapier is a good choice purely because it has the highest BS/PR damage with the Hornet Ring equipped. I only use it when being invaded though as it gets a bit boring imo.

• Lotos8ter 6 Jan 2013 10:52:13 2,327 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @teamHAM - didn't know that about the Silver Knight Spear - nice one.

(Looks like ENB has changed his account to SoulSacrifice now - damn shame. Hope he comes back when DS2 is released.)

Fiat Lux

• Architect_z 6 Jan 2013 11:12:15 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder - I just mean a normal rapier to take down the occult path. THe normal rapier has a higher critical bonus than Ricards Raper.

Ricards Raper (yes I mean to call it 'raper') is great to ascend to +15 normal, and add a buff. The rapid R2 attack with the buff applied can do some incredible damage, and is great for slaying bosses. ^_^
  • Dr_Mech 6 Jan 2013 12:28:14 940 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    I knows this is going to sound stupid if you're not doing it but are you trying to take him on when you first see him or the second time?

If it is the first, run away! You're not meant to fight him the first time, I did but that was only because I picked black fire bombs as my gift item and just hurled them at him.

If you look around there is a doorway you can run though, once you go through that you can pick up your actual gear and get the chance to do a drop attack on him, which takes off half his health.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 12:41:54 06-01-2013
  • Cannon_Fodder 6 Jan 2013 12:33:48 210 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM Ahhhh, see I was under the impression the ember could only be used once. There's me thinking Dark Souls is making it difficult when that is awesome. Great, I'll just farm some Green Titanite Shards from slimes to make up for the ones I've used on the Rapier and revert the rapier back to standard.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Architect_z 6 Jan 2013 12:41:08 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:

The world would be better off without tossers like that, if you're going to invade have the decency to fight fairly and/or honourably. What the hell do they get out of it, fucking twats.
    Yeah its really annoying. Whenever I invade, I always bow and fight as fair as I can. The only time i'm ever cheap is when either the host fights dirty, or theres 3 players who're basically waiting for an invader to gank.

IF I invaded someone for backstab wins, it'd be really boring.
  • ZuluHero 6 Jan 2013 12:41:45 3,668 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    HitchHiker wrote:
    I knows his is going to sound stupid if you're not doing it but are you trying to take him on when you first see him or the second time?

If it is the first, run away! You're not meant to fight him the first time, I did but that was only because I picked black fire bombs as my gift item and just hurled them at him.

If you look around there is a doorway you can run though, once you go through that you can pick up your actual gear and get the chance to do a drop attack on him, which takes off half his health.
    This is true! You know it's a proper boss fight when you get locked in with them! Mostly :)
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last