Dark Souls Page 663

• Page

of 1205 First / Last

• mcmothercruncher 18 Dec 2012 18:58:35 7,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It does- that's what I said ;)

You're always better going for a weapon with the most specific scaling, at least until you're hundreds of levels high where your stats become so good across the board that everything becomes a bit moot- you're just good with everything at that point!

I've used a lot of strength weapons lately and, of all of them, I really love the Man Serpent GreatSword. It's not so heavy as others, has excellent and very useable horizontal and vertical attacks, is buffable and is quick compared to other big lumps of metal in the game. Buffed with just basic fire resin and late 30's strength it kills the Anor Londo sentinels in nearly one hit.

Love the thrust of some swords though, very very useful, so, even though it's down on damage a bit for a pure strength build, it might well be a more useable (and therefore more enjoyable) choice matey.

I've started to pvp a bit with the Demon Great Machete and Demon's Great Hammer. Both hit harder than the MSG (extremely hard) but are so easy to parry it's very hard to play against anyone vaguely competent. I.e. I have to hope I come up against a clueless noob... which is where I win since I'm a semi-clueless noob ;)
  • quadfather 18 Dec 2012 19:49:15 12,296 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sigh, tempted for a str character now. fs, nice one guys :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• FanBoysSuck 18 Dec 2012 21:36:50 1,489 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The butchers knife is a pretty mean strength weapon and scales A at plus 14.

Now that I'm boosting my non core stats, I fancy giving the true great sword of artorias a bash. The great lord great sword has been a bit of a let down, it's not doing much more damage than my plus 15 scaling weapon and is quite a bit slower.

For the emperor!

• UncleLou Moderator 18 Dec 2012 21:51:53 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got to say, Blighttown is significantly less unpleasant with a consistent framerate and better image quality. It's where I stopped playing the PS3 version for a couple of weeks because of the "treacle effect". Made it to the bonfire pretty much in one, and killed all the snipers I remember (which took a few more goes).

Still annoying and unpleasant enough, mind.
  • ZuluHero 19 Dec 2012 02:02:22 4,175 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OMG OMG I DID IT, I DID IT!!!! I ONLY WENT AND BLOODY DONE IT!

Has any other game I've ever played ever given me this satisfaction? Demon's Souls perhaps, but i sort of cheesed it at the end of that. This time i made it through purely by my skill and a whole load of luck!

What a feel good..well.. feeling! :)

I don't know how i'm going to sleep with all this adrenaline coursing through me!!! :D
  • FanBoysSuck 19 Dec 2012 08:16:50 1,489 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:

Has any other game I've ever played ever given me this satisfaction? Demon's Souls perhaps, but i sort of cheesed it at the end of that. This time i made it through purely by my skill and a whole load of luck!

What a feel good..well.. feeling!

I don't know how i'm going to sleep with all this adrenaline coursing through me!!!
    Well done mate! Glad you enjoyed it!

Now you need to start new game plus and get all the trophies/achievements. Even if you don't collect them normally it'll give you an excuse to go through it again.

For the emperor!

• Red_Bool 19 Dec 2012 09:04:27 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:

What a feel good..well.. feeling! :)

I don't know how i'm going to sleep with all this adrenaline coursing through me!!! :D
    Congrats!! :D I hope you got some sleep :) And now, like FBS said, start NG+. You will...oh yes, you will... ;) I actually planned on starting something from my backlog (ME3, Batman-AC), but somehow I just didn't feel like it. Will probably even be getting the DLC now...

Let's see if you can let it go ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Dec 2012 09:27:47 7,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done Zulu, ace job :)

I can't believe you don't have the DLC Red! You get to have that feeling of not knowing what's around the corner all over again.

It's death.
  • ZuluHero 19 Dec 2012 09:44:03 4,175 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I have a huge backlog too, which I was hoping to make a dent in... but I've already played through the asylum on NG+ and am already feeling it's hooks in me again!

Gah!
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 09:54:57 12,296 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Yeah I have a huge backlog too, which I was hoping to make a dent in... but I've already played through the asylum on NG+ and am already feeling it's hooks in me again!

Gah!
    heh, you've got no chance leaving it now. All those different types of builds you could play now you're comfortable beating the game...not to mention speedruns :)

• FourSevenZero 19 Dec 2012 10:56:42 82 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    The butchers knife is a pretty mean strength weapon and scales A at plus 14.

Now that I'm boosting my non core stats, I fancy giving the true great sword of artorias a bash. The great lord great sword has been a bit of a let down, it's not doing much more damage than my plus 15 scaling weapon and is quite a bit slower.
    I been using the Butchers Knife and love it :) I got it to +15 as soon as I could and it's been brilliant fun!

I haven't got Sif's soul yet to make an Artorias sword as I've heard he turns up in the DLC? Anyway I'm assuming everyone's talking about the normal Greatsword? I've never tried it (this is my 1st strength build!) does it need any Dex? I think the GSA needs Dex so maybe I won't be able to use it anyway ...I have no Dex and exclusively using the Butchers Knife, I've only just made a firey MSG for a bit of variety/back-up. I'll check it out later though :) I did fancy going for a massive hammer or the Golem Axe but not sure as I just keep using the Butcher Knife, it's so sweet!

Edited by FourSevenZero at 11:07:31 19-12-2012
  • Fixxxer 19 Dec 2012 11:16:01 1,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And hooray I did it too! And I'm never playing this fucking game ever again!
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 11:23:11 12,296 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fixxxer - Congratulations!

Are you not even going to start the ng+ just to check how quickly you can kill stuff?

/evil cackle

• Deleted user 19 December 2012 11:28:53
    Keep seeing this filthy cheap but cant bring myself to buy something I won't complete. Loved demon souls but gave up maybe half way through, just got bored to death having to repeat the same bits over and over to get to some terrible boss that did you over in one hit.

I'm sure I will also love dark souls until I get to that wall. Don't start something you not going to see through to the finish.
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Dec 2012 11:33:06 7,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The game's beaten you and you haven't even played it ;)
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 11:33:15 12,296 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pepsipop - You'd probably like Dark souls even more then, as you can summon npc's for tricky bosses, making it a damn sight easier. It'd be a shame if you missed it, having loved demon's

• ZuluHero 19 Dec 2012 11:33:32 4,175 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    Yay! \o/

Now we both have a well-earned and exclusive badge of honour! Wear it with pride :)
  • Fixxxer 19 Dec 2012 11:33:49 1,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Fixxxer - Congratulations!

Are you not even going to start the ng+ just to check how quickly you can kill stuff?

/evil cackle
    Thanks! Heh, well I kinda did...

Rather ominously I did spend the last moments of my game before the Gwyn fight running around kindling bonfires 'just in case'.

But after sprinting through NG+ and making it to the Taurus Demon in about eight minutes I was killed when he pushed me off the side. As that mechanic irritated more than probably any other a more perfect denouement you could not find.

After 96 hours of compulsion and complaining I'm free!

Edited by Fixxxer at 11:35:31 19-12-2012
  • Fixxxer 19 Dec 2012 11:38:23 1,304 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Fixxxer wrote:
    Yay! \o/

Now we both have a well-earned and exclusive badge of honour! Wear it with pride :)
    I will! It definitely ranks among beating Inferno II on Trials HD (which I later zero faulted incidentally) as one of my greatest gaming achievements.
  • FourSevenZero 19 Dec 2012 11:39:50 82 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    The game's beaten you and you haven't even played it ;)
    Lol! :)
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 11:47:02
    :) I know my limits. Play games to have fun and not to pull my hair out.
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 11:55:46 12,296 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But it is fun :)

• Deleted user 19 December 2012 12:04:47
    No. The reason the people in the above posts so delighted and thrilled that they completed it because it was crazy hard and they feel accomplished. Climb mount Everest and you feel good at the end but getting there nearly killed you. :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Dec 2012 12:14:29 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fun is the art of enjoyable frustration (stolen quote). For a game to work, besides being a rollercoaster ride, it needs to balance frustration with the mastery of the game. And different people want different ratios of frustration and mastery.

Dark Souls is fun, very much so, if you value mastery. The constant improvement of your mastery of the game.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 12:33:38
    See bayonetta required slow mastery of the combo system and fir you to master the rhythm of battle on hard. It was hard but not take the pies hard. You died and had to learn but were not savagely punished.
  • FourSevenZero 19 Dec 2012 12:39:22 82 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Fun is the art of enjoyable frustration (stolen quote). For a game to work, besides being a rollercoaster ride, it needs to balance frustration with the mastery of the game. And different people want different ratios of frustration and mastery.

Dark Souls is fun, very much so, if you value mastery. The constant improvement of your mastery of the game.
    Post of the day!

Where I'm at now with the game from my first playthrough and I'm no where near being a master by the way, is a world apart. Instead of creeping around thinking oh shit and wtf is that??!! to storming through levels and putting down bosses! I've never had so much fun and enjoyed my time in a game world as this, co-oping and helping people with bosses has been an amazing gaming highlight :)
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 12:42:15 12,296 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FourSevenZero - Yup, it's a gaming eye-opening experience and no mistake. The only thing bad about it, is it makes other games pale in comparison. Load up skyrim and play it for 20 minutes, you'll see exactly what I mean :)

• FourSevenZero 19 Dec 2012 13:00:25 82 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @FourSevenZero - Yup, it's a gaming eye-opening experience and no mistake. The only thing bad about it, is it makes other games pale in comparison. Load up skyrim and play it for 20 minutes, you'll see exactly what I mean :)
    I did, I think 20mins is all I lasted :) ME3 is just about holding my attention right now but I'm always thinking of her! I'm getting back on DKS tonight, so much I want to do :)
  • Page

of 1205 First / Last