Dark Souls Page 659

• Page

of 1199 First / Last

• ZuluHero 15 Dec 2012 08:53:30 4,099 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok I'm onto gwyn. He's a tough sob. Any tips would really help, I do the parry thing but with limited success. Even though I have a couple of bosses left, after 50 odd hours I want to put the game to bed now. I live it, but I don't want to be put in a position where I put it down again for ages especially this close to the end!
  • Lotos8ter 15 Dec 2012 09:21:11 2,355 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ZuluHero what Goodfella said - a high stability shield is essential, silver knight or black knight upgraded work well. Learn his moves and when to go in for a hit - I time it when he kicks (dodge and attack) and his grab (roll out and attack - the grab has good tracking so be careful)
    I leave parrying to the Pros - if you miss it against him you're probably fucked.
    The cloranthy ring is a good choice for keeping your stamina high quicker.

You will do it but at first he can seem unbeatable and relentless. Perservere mate and you'll do it

Fiat Lux

• mcmothercruncher 15 Dec 2012 10:02:16 6,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is another method, I used it on my first, slightly borked character because he was so weak I just couldn't damage Gwyn enough the normal way.

Grab a spear- it's important it pokes in a straight line- and the more reach the better. The Cloranthy Ring is good too so that you're more likely to have the stamina you need to defend and hit.
    On entering the fog, move immediately to the left to where the first rock spike is, not too far in. Shield up and lock onto Gwyn and circle left and back around it guiding him so that he is circling around the spike and to his left to attack you. Watch for gaps and poke the fecker when you see them whilst your shield is up. Occasionally you'll get lucky and he'll be slightly above you as he tries to traverse the ground so that he'll miss. Occasionally, you'll eat a big fire-y sword of death but you should get there with patience :)
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Dec 2012 10:07:11 6,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus, I struggled with Seath last night. No shield, no magic etc, not the best armour for magic/curse defence because of the weight of the Dragon Sword I'm using.
    Have never had such trouble with him before but, as a straight melee fight with crappy defence, I died... a LOT.
    I think I'm going to have to level health 5 times or so in a bid to basically out-health his offence. Ugh :evil:

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 10:07:47 15-12-2012
  • Lotos8ter 15 Dec 2012 10:10:31 2,355 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - that's the thing with the Archives and Seath - by that stage of the game you're expected to have a half decent defense and the Archives is normally pretty good for filtering out players who don't - when you get ANOTHER arrow in the back

Fiat Lux

• mcmothercruncher 15 Dec 2012 11:26:18 6,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree, I'm just saddled with a special set of circumstances (of my choosing of course).

I blitzed the Archives and am nearly one hit killing the Blue Golems, it's just Seath and his attacks. I've got almost no magic defence and zero curse resist as a product of needing to level mostly strength and endurance in order to handle a 24 weight sword. There's very little left to equip anything else. Can't buff meaningfully, can't use any sort of shielding or cheese him from afar.
    I'll get there- just need to over level a bit to do it :)
  • quadfather 15 Dec 2012 11:52:04 11,978 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Swear seath is harder now...

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mcmothercruncher 15 Dec 2012 11:54:59 6,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm with ya in spirit matey :)
  • ZuluHero 15 Dec 2012 12:05:07 4,099 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll try your suggestions tonight. I may have to grind a few levels to make it easier, and allow me to equip some of the stuff you're suggesting. I'm a high dex build so don't have a lot of strength.

I really hate him, but I'll keep plugging away till I fell him. Thanks guys! :)
  • quadfather 15 Dec 2012 12:05:26 11,978 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Before I take plunge yet again (tempted to start ANOTHER character :), just thought I'd leave this with you

Other possible ramifications of NG+
    It is speculated by some players that progressing to NG+ or beyond (possibly all the way up to NG7) may eventually enable or unlock access to hidden material in the game, given that some objects or spells (such as the Great Lord Armor or the Sunlight Spear, or various different Boss Soul weapons each requiring the same boss soul) were apparently only intended to become available in subsequent game cycle playthroughs, and certain statements from From Soft. game designers suggest multiple playthroughs might be required to unlock potential secrets related to the Pendant or other items. Despite extensive searching and effort by many players, to date these theories have not been validated.

• ZuluHero 15 Dec 2012 12:10:10 4,099 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even though Miyazaki has said that the pendent was a joke? :)

People just want to believe don't they? :)
  • quadfather 15 Dec 2012 12:13:35 11,978 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still think he's bluffing about the joke :)

• mcmothercruncher 15 Dec 2012 12:25:09 6,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'd be cool if Dark Souls 2 detected you'd chosen it in 1 and rewarded you with......... another pendant ;)
  • quadfather 15 Dec 2012 12:29:44 11,978 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    that may or may not do anything :)

• FourSevenZero 15 Dec 2012 15:04:03 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron Cheers buddy, I noticed the amount of souls increases with parry riposte kills I'll give it a go on the DW's see if drops increase. Well try anyway I normally BS them too scared to parry :)
  • teamHAM 15 Dec 2012 15:13:41 2,880 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't the increase of souls just the overkill bonus? afaik there isn't a bonus specifically for "riposting" an enemy.

Edited by teamHAM at 15:14:00 15-12-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Elathron 15 Dec 2012 23:23:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @teamHAM - Nope, I've not had an overkill bonus before? However parrying & backstabbing does yield more souls on certain enemies. Just trying to work out if it also affects item find somehow...
    Got past Seath 1st time and had his tail off with my new char :D Trying to decide where next to go as it's now onto increasing faith. The below 8% weight thing is an issue but there's a lot to be gained from rolling faster when fighting bosses!

Edited by Elathron at 23:23:57 15-12-2012

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Red_Bool 16 Dec 2012 09:41:57 1,173 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going through NG+ quite quickly it seems (rang the 2nd bell in under 4 hours), so now I'm wondering: is there anything I should be paying (extra) attention to? Most of the stuff I already found in NG, but is there also stuff you'll only find in NG+s?
  • Red_Bool 16 Dec 2012 11:25:30 1,173 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Goodfella - that's the impression I've got now yes. I'm finding all the shit I already found the first time ;)
    NG+ right now feel like a highly optimized rerun - Only the gaping dragon gave me a bit of trouble because I couldn't remember when to run and when to strike :) Blighttown and Queelaagh were no problem at all...
    Which brings me to another question: the pyromancer merchant in the Blighttown swamp isn't there? She was in NG, so I was expecting her now as well.

Edited by Red_Bool at 11:26:30 16-12-2012
  • quadfather 16 Dec 2012 11:27:21 11,978 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    there's a few things you need to make her appear. Can't fecking remember what they are off the top of my head

• Red_Bool 16 Dec 2012 11:35:27 1,173 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    there's a few things you need to make her appear. Can't fecking remember what they are off the top of my head
    So it seems. The wiki/msg boards are confusing on this subject. Apparently there's multiple ways to make her appear. If only I could remember what I did the first time :)
  • Red_Bool 16 Dec 2012 11:48:26 1,173 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Goodfella - nope, but that was also the case the 1st time :confused: Right now it's +9, plus I'm at the Chaos Covenant bonfire so it'll be easy to check what happens if I get it to +10...as soon as I get some time again to play that is :)
  • quadfather 16 Dec 2012 12:02:59 11,978 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know for a fact I got her to appear when my glove was on +1 or +2

It's normally to do with who you've seen so far, and which dialogue options you've 'unlocked'

• teamHAM 16 Dec 2012 13:23:33 2,880 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @teamHAM - Nope, I've not had an overkill bonus before? However parrying & backstabbing does yield more souls on certain enemies.
    You are getting the 20% extra souls after parrying or backstabbing the enemies because you overkilled them. You can also get these 20% extra souls without parrying or backstabbing if you use a strong enough weapon. This is the overkill bonus.

I can understand it's a bit misleading because a parry or a backstab OHK's most mobs, so you think that's what the bonus is for. But actually the bonus is for the overkill, which can be achieved without the use of a backstab or a parry with the right weapon.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• mcmothercruncher 16 Dec 2012 16:42:00 6,767 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a good look going right now. Black Iron armour, Darkwraith skull face head and massive flaming Demon Great Machete (of doom (+15)).

That is all :D
  • Red_Bool 17 Dec 2012 07:55:31 1,173 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Regarding the pyromancer merchant in the Blighttown swamp: I upgrade my glove to +10 yesterday (required souls generously provided by Mr. C. Discharge :)), went back to the swamp and sure thing, there she was! Still no idea why she was there in NG then... Might be because I did the whole of Darkroot Garden/Basin including Sif first in NG before going to Blighttown (?)
  • Page

of 1199 First / Last