Dark Souls Page 602

• Page

of 1195 First / Last

• mcmothercruncher 5 Oct 2012 19:23:41 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For the love of God, man. We've someone DYING here for a Balder Sword and you're casually name dropping it in conversation ;)

So, tonight, after a really shitty week of work, I have a new single malt, a girlfriend who's away and Rocksmith and Dark Souls making eyes at me under the TV. Me and the dog are fucking SET.
  • Puppaz 5 Oct 2012 21:43:03 319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh my... I just defeated Manus in the cheapest nastiest way possible.
    I feel dirty...
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 21:51:58
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    For the love of God, man. We've someone DYING here for a Balder Sword and you're casually name dropping it in conversation ;)

So, tonight, after a really shitty week of work, I have a new single malt, a girlfriend who's away and Rocksmith and Dark Souls making eyes at me under the TV. Me and the dog are fucking SET.
    Aye. A shitty week at work too. Gladly no one is going out. so i can stay at home, flat mate away, with a tea and toast and a bottle of old thumper... i was genuinely excited to coming home so i can play this for a good few hours.

Bring it on.!
  • quadfather 6 Oct 2012 11:17:12 11,859 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If I don't get that sword today I might actually cry

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• puddleduck 6 Oct 2012 13:35:14 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Quaddy. Why not do up to Sens so you can get the Serpent Ring?
  • Red_Bool 6 Oct 2012 15:21:52 1,173 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure whether this is the time or place to mention that I'm starting to like the handling of the Balder side sword ;) It is now my default weapon, alternating between either a battle axe for extra damage or the pyro glove/pharis bow for ranged combat.

Finally beat Sif yesterday (only took over a week...), now ready to venture into blight town (argh, everyhting is toxic there!)
    Another milestone yesterday - I am now strong enough to make it through the graveyard! (with ease even) However the place at the other side gives me the creeps, so I let it be for now.

Also found the Estoc yesterday, but I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

Oh, and Havel is still giving me (lethal) headaches...
  • quadfather 6 Oct 2012 15:25:17 11,859 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally got one! yay! Standard kill on a standard balder knight (i.e., no backstab - think I pyro'd him actually) and it finally dropped. Got that on +5 now and got the dex to use it. Might just go mad levelling dex now

And a bandit knife dropped from the assassins in lower undead burg. Nice 157 critical bonus. Could be fun alongside the target shield

@Puddleduck - I was about to move on I have to say, but I just thought I'd do a few more runs. Glad I did.

Only just realised that I've hardly done any bosses either. Only killed Taurus, which has made my running around increase my humanity. Got it up to 15, but have kindled a few fires now

I might leave all the bosses for bit and just wander around darkroot

• quadfather 6 Oct 2012 18:00:34 11,859 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love my balder sword! <3

• Rusty_M 6 Oct 2012 18:05:45 4,579 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    \o/ (praise the sun!)

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• DUFFMAN5 7 Oct 2012 09:27:59 14,419 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi chaps
    I have put in the bargains thread, but just in case you don't visit it...
    Dark Souls PtD edition on 360/ps3 is 20 at Amazon at the moment. I have yet to play any Dark Souls but as that is at least 9 cheaper than anywhere else on line, seems like a good deal to me.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• PenguinJim 7 Oct 2012 09:31:05 5,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was finding the PC graphical upgrade fine but not exactly impressive, even with DSfix. Today I tried overriding the depth of field just to 540, and WOW! For me, the game looks so much better. Beautifully, wonderfully clear. (I'm using a 560)

Also nudged my 2500K up from 2.2GHz to 2.6GHz, and it seems to have made a real difference to the frame-rate - the occasional judder has gone, and the depth-of-field adjustment hasn't made a dent, seemingly. Haven't been to Blighttown for the acid test, yet. :p

Also tried a scythe for the first time today. I'm 15 hours in, only just reached Anor Londo and dived into the painting, but the +5 Divine Scythe is a joy to use. :D

Got an inventory full of balder crap to feed to the lizard, though. Who needs all that stuff? :p
  • quadfather 7 Oct 2012 09:51:15 11,859 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PenguinJim - I don't suppose you've tried the 60fps patch too have you? I only ask because I'm having problems with it. It certainly patches it to 60fps, but also slows the actual gameplay down to around 50% of it's normal speed.

I'm trying to work out if it's me, and my PC, or whether I've done something stupid

• Lotos8ter 7 Oct 2012 09:59:55 2,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 - cheers fella. Its one of the few games I've kept hold of so I'll be going for the DLC. Great bargain for new players though.

I'm currently making a pigs ear of the new content on my laptop (chuggy) and trying to ignore the achievements. I can't be bothered getting another 1000G can I?

/can I?

Fiat Lux

• teamHAM 7 Oct 2012 10:25:09 2,755 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Hi chaps
    I have put in the bargains thread, but just in case you don't visit it...
    Dark Souls PtD edition on 360/ps3 is 20 at Amazon at the moment. I have yet to play any Dark Souls but as that is at least 9 cheaper than anywhere else on line, seems like a good deal to me.
    I've just sold my Dark Souls 360 for 14. I've also pre-ordered PtD for 20 from Amazon. So 6 for the DLC will likely end up being a good deal.

Edited by teamHAM at 10:26:04 07-10-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Red_Bool 7 Oct 2012 10:32:28 1,173 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's one downside to the Balder Sword I found, and that's its durability: I was merrily swooshing and stabbing my way through blight town when all of a sudden the "weapon at risk" warning came up. Surprised, I quickly switched to another sword and made my way to the bonfire - durability of the balder sword is half that of a normal long sword! Now that I know I'm keeping an eye on it - but what an excellent sword to use! :D
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 11:40:54 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't try a Katana then!
  • Red_Bool 7 Oct 2012 12:13:51 1,173 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Katana you say? Where pray can I find one? ;)
  • PenguinJim 7 Oct 2012 12:18:46 5,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather There was an option for that, but I've heard of some people having problems with it, so I'm ignoring it for now.

Still can't get over how much better this looks. :D A proper upgrade on the console version, finally.
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 14:14:52 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woohoo, just went man-o a man-o with the NG+ Red Dragon. Like most things, it's easier if you run straight at the boss. Stay close, keep the stamina up and chop away. He keeps leaping out of the fight and attempting to put distance between you and him so he can cheese you with flame. Again, sprint straight to his feet and resume hacking.
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 14:15:17 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Terrible drop rate Bool, you don't want to bother ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 14:28:05 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and you don't want to know what I just got on my fourth attempt at farming the Balder Knights QF.

TWO Balder Side Swords. Kid you not.
  • quadfather 7 Oct 2012 15:20:00 11,859 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - heh, I just have really bad luck with the damn thing.

Still, am whizzing through the game now. One minute I've done no bosses except taurus and constantly farming balder knights, and once it had dropped, the next minute, havel, gargoyles, 20k door, butterfly, capra all down and I'm parked at the bonfire at the depths, shortcut open, ready to take on gaping twatface.

Sporting full stone armour, balder +7, balder shield, pharis bow and cmw going to boot.

22 vit + end and dex too. Playing catchup big time

And, touch wood, I still haven't died yet, and wearing 14 humanity. I really need a chaos weapon before I die and spunk those points :)

Edited by quadfather at 15:21:11 07-10-2012

• quadfather 7 Oct 2012 15:21:51 11,859 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PenguinJim - yeah, you can add me to the list of people having problems with it :)

Agree though, just getting the resolution up is a godsend

• Tuffty 7 Oct 2012 18:16:02 1,502 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just a question here, for someone visiting Anor Londo for the first time. Will there ever be a set of armor for me to get that doesn't hugely weigh me down? I'm wearing the crimson robe set up and really like the fact that I can dodge easily with it but it seems like every armor set I've come across is too heavy and doesn't suit my build. Is there anything that offers better defensive capabilities than what I have that is nearby, or should I start thinking about reinforcing armor?
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 18:38:15 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd wiki it at this point mate- the Favour set is in Anor Londo.
    There are bazillions of armour sets, though, there is a definite notch between light and heavy.
    Defo re-enforce armour you use a lot, well worth it. Even the chain armour the Burg vendor sells offers great defense upgraded (looks cool too, all shiny).

A lot of people, lacking endurance at low to mid levels, use Havel's Ring to double their weight capacity, or, the Dark Wood Grain Ring to make movement speed with weight under 50% like speed with weight under 25%.... or both.
  • Tuffty 7 Oct 2012 18:57:41 1,502 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher Will do. I like the crimson set up for the elemental defense it offers too, seems like it will come in handy against those winged fuckers with the lightning spears. Cheers! :D
  • mingster 7 Oct 2012 19:21:05 3,270 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone killed the hydra yet on the PC version?

Edited by mingster at 19:21:28 07-10-2012
  • mingster 7 Oct 2012 19:24:14 3,270 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    or the stray demon when you go back to the northern asylum later
  • puddleduck 7 Oct 2012 19:24:37 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tuffty
    Crimson Set is one of the best light armour sets. Beaten by the Maiden Skirt and Dingy Robe combo though. Both lighter and upgraded offer excellent elemental protection.

Generally, you should be able to get a chest piece on that provides some poise and combine it with whichever skirt you like most. The tattered cloth manchette offers some very decent protection when upgraded fully, especially for it's very small weight usage.

Edited by puddleduck at 19:25:00 07-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 19:36:29 6,470 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a nice set for sure, well worth sinking some materials into to improve. I think that's twinkling titanite? If so, there's a farming spot later on for it so you might want to pick another armour for now to upgrade. Perhaps one with great pure defense to compliment it?

When I feel I'm lacking a bit in defense I tend to stop levelling for a while and farm souls for a big splurge on buying materials. It's strangely thrilling dropping 50k on large titanite shards ;)

Or have an upgrade sesh after a big boss. I used to feel doing so was a waste when I could level instead, but, really, an extra 50 points in defense via better armour is way more meaningful than the two or three you'd get by, say, putting a point into Strength.
  • Page

of 1195 First / Last