Useful Software Guide 2011 Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • coastal 20 Feb 2011 18:04:39 5,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Trowel,

Aerosnap will do your windows 7 attach documents to the sides, top etc.

My question - any recommendations on screen capture software (free). I've tried a few and the resultant video is always flipped/reversed. Plus it would nice to have a radial glow around the mouse.. I fancy creating a few instructional videos. Something like Camtasia but free probably..

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Trowel 8 Mar 2011 20:27:44 16,853 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    @Trowel,

Aerosnap will do your windows 7 attach documents to the sides, top etc.
    That's perfect, cheers!
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 09:47:26
    Picasa vs Flickr (vs other?). Which is the one of choice, primarily for storing and sharing these days?
  • Deleted user 31 March 2011 09:48:35
    Oh, and I'm looking for something that will help me plan out entire days and help me force myself to do things at particular times of the day. PC/Mac/iPad/iPhone suggestions are all greatly appreciated. Something online/cloud based is preferable.
  • mrpon 31 Mar 2011 09:50:59 27,645 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Possibly Wunderlist in the OP Aargh, I use it daily in its PC/Mac and iPhone/Touch incarnations and it's very good. Cloud synchronisation as well.

More a To Do list than daily scheduler, but hey try it - it's free.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Blaketown 31 Mar 2011 09:54:23 4,630 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Picasa vs Flickr (vs other?). Which is the one of choice, primarily for storing and sharing these days?

Everyone in the Photo's thread seems to use Flickr. I couldn't tell you why but I just followed like a sheep.

Baaa

Brap, brap, old chap.

• ISmoke 31 Mar 2011 10:14:22 529 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure if it comes under this or not but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm going to install Ubuntu 10.10 onto a partition of my computer later. I'm a complete Linux newbie and no matter how much I read about it I think the best way for me to learn my way around an OS is just trail and error by myself (worked for me on windows and snow leopard) I know there are thousands of free/open applications but what are the essential ones a Linux user shouldn't go without and what 'pro' tips could anyone give to someone who are taking the first steps?
  • tincanrocket 31 Mar 2011 10:27:26 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sudo apt-get install LAMP

Ubuntu is ace these days. You will have Open Office installed with it, plus a bunch of other useful bits and pieces. It is worth grabbing VLC for all of your video needs, Conduit looks like it could be useful (http://live.gnome.org/Conduit), but I mostly use Ubuntu for web serving (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Php) as opposed to day to day desktop uses. Hopefully someone else will have more useful input than me!
  • ISmoke 31 Mar 2011 11:47:20 529 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I'm honest I don't really need to use it (I have heard it's better for those who are getting into programming though) for anything specific but I just want to learn more about the OS its self as everyone I know who has used some form of Linux distribution never have a bad thing to say about it so I thought I'd start learning my way around it and I heard Ubuntu was the best place to start
  • tincanrocket 31 Mar 2011 11:57:43 2,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Linux (Ubuntu and Mint in particular) is an extremely viable OS these days, and not just the realm of the ubergeek that it once was. However, I think it will struggle to lose that image, and that's why I have found some colleagues reluctant to move over to it.

In Higher Education (my field), there is a very strong argument for switching over to an Open Source OS in terms of the financial savings it would bring to increasingly cash-strapped universities, so I am hoping that more people will make the move.

I read a rather heartening news item yesterday that the Govt are thinking about moving away from Microsoft products and more towards Linux and Mac OS (not that the latter option is going to generate any savings!).
  • Dirtbox 10 Apr 2011 03:20:00 76,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A new cool little app called Fluffyapp which is based on Cloudapp for the Mac. It's a little cloud storage thing that lets you drag and drop files easily and puts a small url into your clipboard for you to paste and share.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BravoGolf Moderator 31 May 2011 16:47:17 12,734 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a nice design app thing to allow me to draw dimensions of a room and experiment with speaker layout, colours of the room and what not?
  • Dirtbox 31 May 2011 17:34:19 76,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Google Sketchup.

• BravoGolf Moderator 31 May 2011 17:48:10 12,734 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome, great looking app, thanks
  • Dirtbox 28 Jun 2011 05:27:40 76,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Found a brilliant cloud storage manager that goes by the name of Gladinet, it connects to any one of 20 odd different online cloud storage services, mounts a network drive on your computer and lists each service as a folder, letting you browse, upload to and download from directly without any other interface required.

The paid for version does more, but I haven't found any need for it as my cloud storage requirements are few. It doesn't have dropbox, but that's for cloud syncing as opposed to plain storage.

• ilmaestro 2 Nov 2011 19:01:51 32,299 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Recommended DVD player software, anyone?

Also something to convert 10-bit video files to an iPhone friendly format, Handbrake doesn't seem to like them.

• WoodenSpoon 2 Nov 2011 19:29:17 12,251 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    VLC?

Does the job as well as any other and seemingly plays just about anything.
  • oceanmotion 2 Nov 2011 19:35:58 15,243 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    VLC can be quite buggy and bothersome.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema is great and no fuss.

Even then, WMP does the business if your on a PC.

Edited by oceanmotion at 19:37:19 02-11-2011
  • ilmaestro 2 Nov 2011 20:30:18 32,299 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MPC it is then, I use that for pretty much everything else so if there's no obvious alternative that's the way I will go. Cheers!

Pre-post edit: opening a DVD in MPC seems to have caused it to die, can't even close it via Task Manager. D:

• StixxUK 2 Nov 2011 20:43:43 7,172 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Almost love that AeroSnap programme, but for the fact that when you click on the top of a window to select it it unsnaps from the side. Mildly annoying, but will see if I can get over it.

@coastal - Thanks for the recommend.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next