DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 4

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• King_Edward 18 Sep 2010 01:32:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ditto JGB. I always felt DMC deserved to go out on a bang, now that's never going to happen.
  • Deleted user 18 September 2010 01:33:07
    "Gritty Urban Environments"
  • King_Edward 18 Sep 2010 01:35:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "Post Apocalyptic Bullshit"
  • Deleted user 18 September 2010 01:38:47
    "Hollywood Voice Tallent"
  • Machetazo 18 Sep 2010 09:47:53 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoeGBallad wrote:
    DMC, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat. Everything is getting re-fucking-booted nowadays. Do we really need it? Has humanity become so ADHD that we constantly need to reinvent the wheel all the time just to hold our attention? Also, when you think about it, did Devil May Cry really need it?

God I sound like a right raving fanboy don't I? It's just a shame, I think.
    You sound as a passionate fan of a franchise, concerned about change. Nothing much more.
    You're wrong to place Castlevania in amongst your list, there. For, whilst Konami have tried 3D Castlevanias in the past, they're almost loathe to now acknowledge their existence. Secondly, you forget that Lords of Shadow, originally, was just that. The "Castlevania" bit was added much later. I think it's a great opportunity for them.

By coincidence, several days before DMC was properly announced, I took pause for a moment to contemplate and, yes, at times lament franchises past and games I really value(d) that aren't around anymore. DMC featured there. I wondered just how it could return, if it could, and greatly wanted it to.
    Of course, this way of presenting it completely caught me off guard, and, I was delighted to be watching the return of Dante!
    How did you, all the nay-sayers, anticipate DMC4? Was it anything more to you, then another check mark on the year's gaming releases? Did you look forward to playing it as much as you may have, the PS2 original? Maybe not. Maybe, it's ripe for a reboot. A reset, a recommencement, in my view.

For the good games, the ones that people want to play to remain viable, they sometimes need distilling. Dropping off all the accumulated clutter, and bringing things right back (so, I also believe you're wrong to place MK in that list) to the aspects people most enjoy(ed). The fact, that the process also enables a whole swathe more of future narrative, than continuing on the same well-trodden road, can be merely a delightful bonus, to the fans. MK hasn't looked this great, shown as much promise, in a very long time.

Joe, in your assessment of Devil May Cry, you also forgot a critical element of the formula: the staff. They've changed, additionally the game/development (tech) world around them. Influences have peaked and then ebbed in impression since then.
    To suggest that the "soul of DMC...is now gone", is so wayward, because I can still see it in that trailer. There's so much similar, even in parts of its approach, but you can only see the differences, is my guess.
  • King_Edward 18 Sep 2010 10:36:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bollocks. They're arse raping another franchise (not to mention giving the finger to some very capable developers) and there's no two ways about it.
  • uiruki 18 Sep 2010 11:10:00 3,678 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The more I think about this, the more I think that Inafune is deliberately trying to take apart the games that Kamiya, Mikami, Inaba, Funamizu and Okamoto created in a kind of passive-aggressive revenge fantasy. He's gone on record on his blog about being 'stabbed in the back,' which is a clear reference to the formation of Platinum Games, Game Republic and Craft & Meister, and at CEDEC 2008 he taunted unnamed "game creators" for not considering the business side of making games, and that "while they run away and set up their own studios, they will never create a hit."

Married to his massive hard-on for the west, this creates a win-win for Inafune; if they flop, he's got his revenge by way of reducing his predecessors' brand, and if they succeed, he's done a better job and proved his business skill.
  • JoeGBallad 18 Sep 2010 12:15:56 383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Machetazo fair points man. You're definitely right about the staff issue. I think I was trying to touch on that in my little 'essay' there. The change in staff after dmc1 meant Capcom have been desperately clamouring to recapture the magic ever since then. So in essence the soul really was gone after the first one.

I also have a more general issue with the graphical style we've seen so far. It's got 'darkness' and griminess, but none of the flair of the older games. I'm still looking forward to it. You're right about the fact that this is more than just a checklist. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how it turns out, and you can't say fairer than that.

I wasn't trying to deride the new castlevania (which looks stunning) but the whole reboot culture has plagued everything in movies and games, and I don't think we really need it. They're rebooting spiderman for fuck sake, it only came out last week! What's wrong with just making new installments with the things the fans love in a new situation. Dante should be more like James bond, taking part in a new but familiar adventure every time. He shouldn't be like madonna, changing his face every two seconds to keep us all interested.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Machetazo 18 Sep 2010 13:58:19 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoeGBallad wrote:
    @Machetazo fair points man. You're definitely right about the staff issue. I think I was trying to touch on that in my little 'essay' there. The change in staff after dmc1 meant Capcom have been desperately clamouring to recapture the magic ever since then. So in essence the soul really was gone after the first one.

I also have a more general issue with the graphical style we've seen so far. It's got 'darkness' and griminess, but none of the flair of the older games. Dante should be more like James bond, taking part in a new but familiar adventure every time. He shouldn't be like madonna, changing his face every two seconds to keep us all interested.
    I agree, in part, with your last point. The new adventure bit. The familiarity part, I just sense is the problem for DMC. For the latest one, I just haven't been able to commit to. I don't know why, but I just find there are other games to play, really. When I want to play a game in that style, today, I'll plump for Bayonetta, instead.

It just feels so much fresher, with really engaging visuals, audio, narrative a great attitude to the characters, and, slick as you like action.

As we both appear to agree, the first Devil may Cry left a massive impression. I can't help but think it unfair, but it seems disingenuous if we don't also accept that it still leaves a mark, today.
    Great analogy to James Bond, you made. But, doesn't this "DMC" have the potential to allow that. Establish a narrative construct, and progress aspects of it, within future games? Again, related to that, but do you think that Dante needs to feel relevant, to matter, in order for DMC to work its magic? In the first game, Capcom took an original character, completely new IP for a fledgling system, and catapulted it in to a big success and people took notice and were excited to play it. (I remember, reading several articles months before the first game was released, and marveling at the art, and direction, the future for gaming, frankly, that was exposed on the pages of OPM at the time!)
    It's got 'darkness' and griminess, but none of the flair of the older games.
    I can see this point of view, perhaps understand how it can be reached from the trailer, but I can't completely agree with it. Because, to me, this trailer is radiating a good deal of Dante's character. (trying to explain how, may be the difficult part, but I could try to bullet-point summarise, best as can, if desired. :) )
  • JoeGBallad 18 Sep 2010 18:14:03 383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha don't worry about the bullet point list! I get what you're saying :) these EG forums are great to have a good conversation about games aren't they?

I have to admit, the new DmC has got everyone talking, which is pretty good for a 'past it' franchise. I'll be buying it, and I'll probably share my thoughts here haha

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• oldtrusty 18 Sep 2010 20:09:10 32 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Joe man, you don't even have a playstation.

Personally speaking, rebooting a franchise isn't always a bad thing, and might allow some new creative forms to come together. Although, I will admit the total lack of humour in the trailer, or maybe the lack of that "Dante swagger" seems like a shame.

Early door though, plenty if time to inject some fun.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Sep 2010 20:18:12 23,784 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Trek was getting weary and stale. Then it was rebooted and it was awesome.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• khaz 19 Sep 2010 18:53:58 2,772 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Four pages on the new Dante?

The game is being made by Ninja Theory. Therefore, it'll be shit. Move on please.
  • Cappy 30 Sep 2010 22:06:25 11,887 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ninja Theory have confirmed that this will be an Unreal Engine 3 title also.

So that's the PS3 version consigned to the dustbin for certain unless you have a warm place in your heart for tearing and fame rate problems.
  • DFawkes 30 Sep 2010 22:56:50 22,762 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry if it was confirmed in anything linked to, but is this a prequel detailing Dante when he wasn't aware of his full true nature, and starts to learn new things about both himself and his family line? I quite like the series story and would love to see that bit in a game.

Of course it might be a full on reboot with it's own story from the ground up, which I'd find disappointing storywise but could easily look past if the game is good.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 1 October 2010 12:21:03
    Cappy wrote:
    Ninja Theory have confirmed that this will be an Unreal Engine 3 title also.

So that's the PS3 the version consigned to the dustbin for certain unless you have a warm place in your heart for tearing and fame rate problems.

Not to mention , the game will be capped at 30FPS since UE3 has massive problems going/exceeding over that (on consoles)...

Excellent, excellent choice on both the developer and the game engine...
    /sarcasm mode off

Inafune, i used to like you but nowadays you should try taking your head off your arse...
  • cianchristopher 1 Oct 2010 12:37:27 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How the hell is a Devil May Cry game gonna work on UE3? They've all been 60fps so far (which is pretty much mandatory for a game of that type).

So this'll be like the PS3 port of Bayonetta, only for both systems.... Nice!
  • King_Edward 1 Oct 2010 13:53:17 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No. It'll be made for 30fps play. there's no rule book that says you can't make a decent hack 'n' slash at 30fps.

It'll be shit because It's being made by morons, under the watchful eye of more morons. Not because It's running on UE3.
  • andywilkie35 1 Oct 2010 14:02:45 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Sorry if it was confirmed in anything linked to, but is this a prequel detailing Dante when he wasn't aware of his full true nature, and starts to learn new things about both himself and his family line? I quite like the series story and would love to see that bit in a game.

Of course it might be a full on reboot with it's own story from the ground up, which I'd find disappointing storywise but could easily look past if the game is good.

I'd like to know this too. If its a prequel then I'm less disappointed, if its a full on reboot, ignoring the last few games then it can go piss up a rope.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 1 October 2010 14:12:21
    King_Edward wrote:
    No. It'll be made for 30fps play. there's no rule book that says you can't make a decent hack 'n' slash at 30fps.

It'll be shit because It's being made by morons, under the watchful eye of more morons. Not because It's running on UE3.

But, Edward , there actually is - it's a "legacy" kind of thing really , all major (japanese) action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Rygar (and a couple hundred of others) run at 60fps , they did so for a reason, wouldn't you agree ?

Other than that i agree 100% with what you wrote , i actually threw up inside my mouth the other day reading a comment on VG247 by someone saying that ninja Theory is the best developer of this generation (lol+ROFL+OMFG)...
  • cianchristopher 1 Oct 2010 14:31:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How the hell could they be the best developer of this generation in anyone's mind? They've only mae two games this generation, and one of them isn't even out yet!

So, basically, that person must think that Heavenly Sword is the Greatest Game of this Generation™
  • King_Edward 1 Oct 2010 14:49:06 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Klem.
    I agree that 60fps is preferable. But I'm sure a talented dev could build a decent combat system around a 30fps limit. Darksiders ran at 30fps I think. And while It's not exactly a brawler there's plenty of combat in it.

I agree you couldn't make a good DMC game at 30fps. But that boat's already sailed.
  • cianchristopher 1 Jun 2011 10:30:32 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BUMP

So, apparently the new DmC game is running at a capped 30fps and features a cooldown on using guns to avoid spamming them.

Sounds awesome, tbh. I always knew that Ninja Theory had greatness in them. Move over Blizzard and Valve, Tameem's gonna fuck you up...
  • King_Edward 1 Jun 2011 10:31:50 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I'm gonna cry.
  • StolenGlory 1 Jun 2011 10:38:25 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @cianchristopher

I'm looking at your most recent post and comparing it to the one before that and I can't tell if in your last one your being sarky or not.

Either that or Enslaved completely fucked your world in ways you weren't expecting.
  • cianchristopher 1 Jun 2011 10:50:25 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm joking. I really dislike Ninja Theory as developers, and consider their focus on "cinematic storytelling" in videogames to be completely counter-intuitive and ultimately creatively bankrupt.

Not to mention that the "gameplay" in their games is always at the service of the storytelling, and not the other way around.
  • StolenGlory 1 Jun 2011 10:54:19 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ^ This I agree with.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2011 21:15:06
    New Trailer
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Jun 2011 21:24:33 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    New Trailer

I like Ninja Theory - Heavenly Sword and Enslaved are genuinely great games - but this... it barely looks like Devil May Cry except for a quick glimpse at a couple of aerial combat moves.

I do not have high hopes unfortunately.

:(
  • Deckard1 7 Jun 2011 21:25:54 27,604 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah that looked really off.

Hush you ponce

• Page

of 25 First / Last