DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 3

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Pastici 16 Sep 2010 05:04:32 450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DMC4 was boring as shit, I found it crap when you took control of Dante, you spent the first half of the game getting used to a new skill set then BOOM! you loose is it all then you get put in the boots of Dante who played completely different, felt like Capcom bitched out there and was afraid of not having Dante in there. At least Ninja Theory are trying something different, and like Tuffty said is the *the* Dante?.

Also

Feanor wrote:
    Awesome comic strip response from the GAF thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23353538&postcount=2193

just shows how the character design hasn't changed one bit. They put Nero in a Hoody to make him seem "cool", how is this any different?

Or are people unhappy because they're too fat to cosplay this new apparent Dante.
  • Feanor 16 Sep 2010 05:35:44 14,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It doesn't show that at all. This new Dante looks nothing like the old characters - he looks just like an ugly version of that Ninja Theory dev.
  • Pastici 16 Sep 2010 05:48:59 450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's what I mean, he looks nothing like them. That's a good thing, 5 games with all the characters looking that same would be a bit shit.
  • Obiwanshinobi 16 Sep 2010 06:04:30 866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, Mario games don't need to look like designed or supervised by Shigeru Miyamoto anymore?
  • JBlokeUK 16 Sep 2010 06:18:54 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pastici wrote:
    That's what I mean, he looks nothing like them. That's a good thing, 5 games with all the characters looking that same would be a bit shit.

Well it hasn't done Mario any harm in 25 years and 10+ (?) games now has it? Plus Halo has stuck to having the game characters look the same throughout, as have other games out there.

And as someone else has said, they tried giving Dante and slightly different look in DMC2 and that didn't work too well.

I like it when he's angry.

• Pastici 16 Sep 2010 06:28:13 450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mario is one person, Dante, Vergil and Nero are different but can so easily be confused with each other. As for Halo, they're soldiers in armour, the characters themselves are different.

The main problem with DMC2 wasn't the look, the game was just gash.

I'm not saying the problem is exclusive to DMC, but 5 games with the same looking characters is a bit overkill. I see Dante and think of the PS2 era of games, DMC4 felt dated.
  • JBlokeUK 16 Sep 2010 06:34:15 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah fair enough :) Agree that DMC2 was gash.

For me, this new look Dante just doesn't do it for me, at all. Maybe I feel like the series has run it's course?

I like it when he's angry.

• King_Edward 16 Sep 2010 07:21:17 11,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just don't get who this is aimed at. All it'll do is piss off the existing fanbase. I can see this going the same way as Other M.
  • ChthonicEcho 16 Sep 2010 09:26:12 410 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pastici wrote:
    Mario is one person, Dante, Vergil and Nero are different but can so easily be confused with each other.
    Following the Mario analogy, that's like saying you can confuse Luigi and Wario with Mario. Dante is the main character of the Devil May Cry franchise; he has been for three out of four games, and you could control him for half of fourth one. When Devil May Cry is mentioned, Dante immediately springs to mind, not Vergil or Nero.

The reason you think of the PS2 era upon hearing Devil May Cry is because it originated during that time and because there is no decent DMC this gen (DMC4 was just DMC3 HD with an inferior story). Saying the series has become dated purely because of the main character's aesthetics makes little sense in my mind.

If you are saying the series had too many androgynous white-haired demon slayers, I'll agree, but that is ultimately irrelevant within this context. People are disliking the protagonist; they want Dante back. They're not saying they want Vergil and Nero in this one, too. Few people liked Nero (and I'm saying 'few' just to be safe, as I never met a person who liked him), anyway.

The franchise stagnated because Capcom wasn't bold enough to make a sequel to DMC2. They somehow saw it as the ending, purely due to the fact that it wasn't well-received. They think they have to keep making prequels, they run out of ideas, and here we are, facing a reboot. I am of the opinion they needed a sequel to DMC2, not a reboot with Edward Cullen as the main character.
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2010 09:36:32 60,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pastici wrote:
    DMC4 was boring as shit, I found it crap when you took control of Dante, you spent the first half of the game getting used to a new skill set then BOOM! you loose is it all then you get put in the boots of Dante who played completely different, felt like Capcom bitched out there and was afraid of not having Dante in there.

I gave up at almost the exact point I started playing as dante. Im not generally one to replay games, so having to replay the whole fucking game again, backwards with a 'worse' character didnt exactly appeal.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• andywilkie35 16 Sep 2010 09:44:33 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should a mod change the title of the thread now that they've decided not to continue the series and reboot it with an angsty teen?

/disappointed

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• glaeken 16 Sep 2010 09:51:30 11,227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Obiwanshinobi wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    I think from the art perspective that is an improvement on the old DMC as its not so generically Japanese. It still is to an extent but nowhere near as much as the old spiky haired Dante. I do get a bit fed up of the whole spiky haired androgynous giant sword wielder look.
    Do you think Bioshock and God of War had good character design too? That would explain quite a lot.
    I'd say Kazuma Kaneko's character design was pretty good. I liked every game sporting his designs I played (even Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner), so it's a mark of quality in my book.
    This one is pretty ugly, and not in a good way to boot. Yes, it doesn't look Japanese anymore, which is most likely intentional, but I've seen way better western designs in much older games. Say, if the original Max Payne's head grew out of his neck, that would be fucking AWESOME. Would explain something important as well (namely what happened to his head between Max Payne and Max Payne 2).

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying I really like the new art style its just that I don't dislike it as much as the old art style. I just found the old art style very clichéd and the new stuff is slightly less clichéd. That is an improvement of sorts.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2010 09:52:42
    BioShock had awesome character design. The Big Daddy became iconic almost instantly.
  • Pastici 16 Sep 2010 14:37:58 450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ChthonicEcho

The Mario one, they've each got their own distinct colours, red, green, yellow and purple. I think this new look makes sense even if people don't like it. I can only assume they've done it because they want to bring the series back into this gen with a nice level playing field, hence the reboot.

Another assumption here but DMC4 maybe sold more because it was multiplatform for the first time.

Reading back my posts they are a bit incoherent, I barely had any sleep, I think I was getting angry just for the sake of a flipside to the argument. Sometimes characters looking the same works, I just think in the DMC series it's worked against it.
  • King_Edward 16 Sep 2010 15:04:59 11,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're doing it to piss me off. No other reason.
  • Notallowedhere 16 Sep 2010 15:08:28 94 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Isn't this supposed to be Dante as a teenager? So he's an angsty and awkward?
  • ChthonicEcho 16 Sep 2010 15:11:26 410 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pastici wrote:
    @ChthonicEcho

The Mario one, they've each got their own distinct colours, red, green, yellow and purple. I think this new look makes sense even if people don't like it. I can only assume they've done it because they want to bring the series back into this gen with a nice level playing field, hence the reboot.
    Eh, same could be said of Dante/Vergil/Nero. Dante is red and brash, Vergil is blue and stoic, Nero is... metrosexual and angsty.

Reading back my posts they are a bit incoherent, I barely had any sleep, I think I was getting angry just for the sake of a flipside to the argument. Sometimes characters looking the same works, I just think in the DMC series it's worked against it.
    Nah, they are fine.
  • Obiwanshinobi 16 Sep 2010 15:51:04 866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    BioShock had awesome character design. The Big Daddy became iconic almost instantly.
    That's mecha/monster design for you rather than character design. When human features come into discussion, BioShock does not deliver.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2010 17:34:58
    DMC 4 sucked. DMC 1 ftw.
  • Machetazo 16 Sep 2010 17:58:51 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watching the trailer again, I noticed that Dante's hair isn't black. It has a shock of white, which you mostly can't see from face-on. It could just as easily be self-applied (templated), but there's that to consider, too, if you're playing this early-days speculation game. Even though the art style is different, the backdrops fit with established design.
  • Feanor 16 Sep 2010 20:31:27 14,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pastici wrote:
    @ChthonicEcho

Another assumption here but DMC4 maybe sold more because it was multiplatform for the first time.

The combined userbase for the 360 and PS3 in early 2008 when DMC 4 came out was much lower than the PS2 userbase in early 2005 when DMC 3 came out.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2010 09:22:16
    Yeah but this series has always been badly handled by the suits at Capcom. Not quite Eidos bad with Tomb Raider, the third DMC was fun in its own right but it was never the same after they took it away from the original team.

Anyway I know this whole thing is being blown up on purpose by the press by can't help linking this page about some twitter replies from Hideki Kamiya:

http://kotaku.com/5640496/what-does-devil-may-crys-creator-think-of-the-series-new-look

I like the final remark about how the only Dante is the original DMC1 version. Despite cringing at some of the 'comic book guy' whining from fans, I really hope the message gets through to the executives at Capcom and elsewhere in Japan.

Keep it in Japan, people abroad just want great Japanese games from them, the whole point is they are different as it sets them apart. Don't outsource, gamers have enough American and European teams making the same few types of thing without this divisive policy.

Most importantly take a hands off approach, leaving the original creators to control what they design without interferance and decide what projects to do as well as if and how they wish to make sequels. Encourage teams to stay together and create avenues for new talent to emerge...
  • King_Edward 17 Sep 2010 09:30:13 11,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's too late now though. The damage is done and DMC is ruined forever. I can't help but wonder what happened to the team that made DMC4.
  • Big-Swiss 17 Sep 2010 09:33:30 8,193 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never got the feel for DMC4, perhaps me getting older, but after a few hours I never touched it again;-(

I'm not even interested in DMC5 I can care less if it gets released or not, sad, cause i loved 1 and 2, and 3 a bit.............
  • nickthegun 17 Sep 2010 09:39:22 60,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tbh, dante could be a sword wielding cock and balls for all I care. Im just bothered about the combat system and, to a lesser extent, the level design.

Im not really that arsed about them changing dante, but the thing that worries me is that the combat system in Heavenly Sword isnt that great.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 17 September 2010 09:51:58
    Dante in DMC1 is a part of the whole Japanese gothic horror visual design, no idea if the team were asked about their influences but I wouldn't be surprised if Devil Man and Vampire Hunter D were reference points.

@King Edward No idea, would be interesting to look up all the staff credits and try to trace the paths of employees. It seems these days company executives don't want us to know who makes what, only the brand they are trying to sell.

I guess it is precisely because as with Platinum Games gamers respect and admire the creative staff far more than the top brass.
  • JoeGBallad 18 Sep 2010 00:37:09 386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DMC, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat. Everything is getting re-fucking-booted nowadays. Do we really need it? Has humanity become so ADHD that we constantly need to reinvent the wheel all the time just to hold our attention? Also, when you think about it, did Devil May Cry really need it?

What's wrong with just making a new DMC game with Dante in it? The formula worked fine. Now we've got to play as somebody that looks like the lead singer of Green Day after not having a shower for a few weeks. In a dirty, grimy, 'edgy' game world. Fuck that.

I don't usually get angry about new directions in games (the new Yakuza looks fantastic despite being real shark-jumping moment) because life's too short, but I'm just utterly bemused by the thought behind this new game. It's like Capcom sold the name and bugger all else to another company to try and westernise their series, but the soul has been left out the equation.

And to all that are thinking along the lines of 'I don't care what the graphics/main character are like, as long as the gameplay is good' well to me part of the reason I played DMC over other, equally competent action games (that admittedly owed their existence to DMC in the first place) is because of the style, the graphics and, of course, Dante. Every line, weapon, movement, pose, EVERYTHING about him was special. He's a dick, a giant egotistical cockend, but he knew it and knew what to do with it. I hate everything dicks like him stand for in real life, and yet in the context of his games he was brilliant, and I played because of him. Part of the reason DMC2 felt so wrong for me is because he was neutered somehow, a shadow of his former self trying too hard to be the goth neo (neo already was a goth neo of course, which is why I wasn't a fan of the style of the matrix films)

I think what annoys and interests me about the previous Devil May Cry games is that for a brief, glorious chapter in gaming, Capcom bottled a rare breed of magic (thanks to the kind of perfect design that we associate with gaming legends like Sonic, Mario etc.) and then didn't really know what to do with it. 1 was great, 2 not so much, 3 was a step in the right direction, and 4, while enjoyable, was clearly a sign that DMC fans were in trouble. Now we're past the point of no return. The soul of DMC, that was hardly recognisable in the sequels that followed but still somehow there, is now gone. You can tell from every frame of this new trailer that it's not coming back.

God I sound like a right raving fanboy don't I? It's just a shame, I think.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Deleted user 18 September 2010 01:22:02
    JoeGBallad wrote:

And to all that are thinking along the lines of 'I don't care what the graphics/main character are like, as long as the gameplay is good' well to me part of the reason I played DMC over other, equally competent action games (that admittedly owed their existence to DMC in the first place) is because of the style, the graphics and, of course, Dante. Every line, weapon, movement, pose, EVERYTHING about him was special

This! so very much this!

In all honesty, the true Dante hasnt been back since the original, nearly ten years ago. I can only imagine what Dante and DMC would of become if Hideki Kamiya was still masterminding it.

• Page

of 25 First / Last