DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 19

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• khaz 3 Feb 2013 16:30:03 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    khaz wrote:

Souls and vanquish are absolutely the same genre. Intricate combat systems with varying levels of depth and width to deal with many enemy arrangements and their own combat systems. And they are more accomplished than dmc.
    DeS and DaS are slow-paced RPGs which focus on teaching patience and stamina management, and Vanquish was a fast-paced third-person cover shooter which happened to have a melee button. You may as well have listed Gears alongside it for all that means. Neither are a fair comparison at all.

Personally I think Dark Souls has the best all round combat design I've ever experienced, I prefer the purity of it to anything else. But they are not of the same genre. And with regards to Vanquish, well then you might as well have mentioned any game with a melee button as part of it's control scheme. I loved that game too, but intricate?!
    You better believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSlrg-TtfNc

See all his challenge runs. Vanquish has arguably the most simple combat mechanics i've ever seen and yet provides a depth of challenge that is mind boggling. And he does it barely using melee or the cover system.

He removes everything he doesn't need or finds superflous and just sticks to the absolute basics but maxes those moves to the maximum. Only Bayonetta, NGB/2 and DMC1/3 offer that kind of gameplay. If this DmC manages that i'll be impressed.

Now that i'm here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPco-Ou1So

If I could play like these guys i'd die a happy man. :)

Edited by khaz at 16:34:58 03-02-2013
  • King_Edward 3 Feb 2013 16:36:11 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's a wonderful example of how Vanquish pisses gallons on Gears but I don't thinks it's relevant here.
  • graysonavich 3 Feb 2013 17:13:31 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is the first game I've played in a while where it makes me feel I'm doing something wrong by wanting to pick up the game pad.

Hack hack slash cutscene cutscene upgrades! cutscene
    Hack hack slash cutscene cutscene new ability! cutscene
  • Syrette 3 Feb 2013 19:22:21 43,117 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    That's a wonderful example of how Vanquish pisses gallons on Gears.
    Off-topic here, but I thought you were a PS3-only gamer?

• B0rked_Gamer 3 Feb 2013 19:31:39 2,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    This is the first game I've played in a while where it makes me feel I'm doing something wrong by wanting to pick up the game pad.

Hack hack slash cutscene cutscene upgrades! cutscene
    Hack hack slash cutscene cutscene new ability! cutscene
    Yeah this game bored me to tears in the hour or so I put into it. Does it pick up at all because there simply wasn't enough actual combat.
  • King_Edward 3 Feb 2013 19:34:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    I am now. I had a 360 for about a year and a half. Bought it for Bayonetta, sold it after finishing Fable 3 as I wasn't using it much and a friend wanted one for Forza.

I recently joined the PC snobs though, so the PS3 isn't getting much love right now either. :)
  • B0rked_Gamer 3 Feb 2013 19:51:22 2,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PC is where the frame rate is at. :cool:
  • khaz 3 Feb 2013 20:02:30 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    I am now. I had a 360 for about a year and a half. Bought it for Bayonetta, sold it after finishing Fable 3 as I wasn't using it much and a friend wanted one for Forza.

I recently joined the PC snobs though, so the PS3 isn't getting much love right now either. :)
    Welcome to the master race.
  • Feanor 4 Feb 2013 13:42:02 14,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Capcom revises FY2012 sales forecast for DmC down from 2m to 1.2m.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/04/dmc-devil-may-cry-shipped-1-million-in-january-forecasts-slash/
  • King_Edward 4 Feb 2013 14:16:45 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That seems very low. You'd think the name alone would get it more sales than that.
  • khaz 4 Feb 2013 14:24:53 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DMC has always been an oddball of a series. Critical acclaim and most gamers love it but it never really took of sales wise. When DMC4 is the biggest selling game in the franchise you know something's up.

Naturally, to me this is total vindication that DMC4 has the best combat system in the series. :)

/runs

Edited by khaz at 14:25:34 04-02-2013
  • bobdebob 4 Feb 2013 15:44:31 553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So I guess the likelihood of a sequel is now nil?

Too bad, I liked the combat system better than 4, trickster dodge as default rather than the side roll which can screw up and Arial rave in the normal moves.
  • King_Edward 4 Feb 2013 16:05:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It'll get a sequel.
  • khaz 4 Feb 2013 16:50:20 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pretty sure this is Ninja Theory's most successful game,it'll get a sequel. If Capcom is anything, its persistent. If they can make the crap that is RE6, the can give this a sequel.

No to mention its NTs first real game. Sorry but I can't help taking a dig at them. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved barely qualified as games in my book. I'm just amazed they managed so well with this game. God bless you Capcom.

Edited by khaz at 16:50:36 04-02-2013

Edited by khaz at 16:51:49 04-02-2013
  • Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 16:52:26 27,262 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is your book "The Big Book Of How To Be A Mong"?
  • liamthemaster 4 Feb 2013 16:55:02 1,559 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still waiting for my copy from Zavvi hopefully I'll have it before Christmas :(
  • bobdebob 4 Feb 2013 17:12:03 553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this is Ninja Theory's most successful game,it'll get a sequel. If Capcom is anything, its persistent. If they can make the crap that is RE6, the can give this a sequel.

No to mention its NTs first real game. Sorry but I can't help taking a dig at them. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved barely qualified as games in my book. I'm just amazed they managed so well with this game. God bless you Capcom.
    RE5 was good, if only for co-op and it sold well. This has been complained about since its announcement, most of the threads at GameFAQs are just threads complaining rather than any tips or such.

Edit: (Also alot of gaming boards bar eurogamer and CVG seem to share the same users, so it maybe the echochamber effect. Maybe.)

Edited by bobdebob at 17:19:43 04-02-2013
  • khaz 4 Feb 2013 17:21:30 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Is your book "The Big Book Of How To Be A Mong"?
    No its the book where the game plays itself and therefore doesn't qualify to be a game book. Enslaved in particular was horrendously bad.

DmC is really good and I like it the more I play it. I hope they make even better stuff from here on.

Edited by khaz at 17:23:37 04-02-2013
  • Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 17:22:46 27,262 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like a shit book. What's wrong with Harry Potter?
  • khaz 4 Feb 2013 17:24:47 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Clearly being a mong isn't an exclusive trait.
  • Syrette 4 Feb 2013 18:33:28 43,117 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harry Potter is a mong?

• King_Edward 4 Feb 2013 21:19:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just gonna drop this here and see what reaction it gets...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/22/upset-dmc-fans-are-entitled-because-thats-what-we-call-people-who-complain-about-video-games/
  • bobdebob 4 Feb 2013 21:45:38 553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is he the same guy who did the ME3 article?
  • khaz 4 Feb 2013 22:22:13 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Just gonna drop this here and see what reaction it gets...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/22/upset-dmc-fans-are-entitled-because-thats-what-we-call-people-who-complain-about-video-games/
    So he's asking people to be sensible? I think people have been for the most part in this thread frankly.
  • SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 11:20:52 7,986 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    khaz wrote:

First describing being able to spam the same attack over and over as "intricate", and now this?

This thread has indeed been relatively sensible when compared to the self-entitled idiocy of the net in general over the subject. But your posts are really starting to spoil that balance with comments like that.
  • kinky_mong 5 Feb 2013 11:58:32 9,985 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Son of Sparda mode is a real jump up isn't it? I think I only died twice in the whole of my first playthrough on Nephalim difficulty, yet after getting cocky when getting a SSS rank on the first fight on SoS I now seem to be dying at least once or twice per level!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 12:59:54 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's how it should be. You've already been through the game once and unlocked all the weapons so in my book the game now has a license to kick you in the balls.
  • khaz 5 Feb 2013 13:31:44 2,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    khaz wrote:

First describing being able to spam the same attack over and over as "intricate", and now this?

This thread has indeed been relatively sensible when compared to the self-entitled idiocy of the net in general over the subject. But your posts are really starting to spoil that balance with comments like that.
    But Enslaved and Heavenly Sword are godawful. :(

And yes that Vanquish player was spamming but he was doing it with timing and purpose. I strongly doubt I could ever score his times on the challenge runs even if I played exactly like that. The point is that even with that basic "spam" the game is challenging. I'm enjoying this DmC so i'm hoping it'll provide the same level of challenge no matter how I approach it as I play it longer.

Edit: actually, thinking about it, calling it spam is utterly wrong. Spam by its very definition means you're mashing buttons or repeating moves in the hope of getting lucky somehow. Those Vanquish runs are nothing of the sort. There is nothing lucky about them, if anything he's got everything refined to as fine a degree as possible.

Edited by khaz at 13:43:35 05-02-2013

Edited by khaz at 14:01:37 05-02-2013

Edited by khaz at 14:02:56 05-02-2013
  • bobdebob 5 Feb 2013 18:10:02 553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Any detailed info on Virgil's Downfall?

It'd better be a decent length, I seriously don't see any sequel if some DMC fans not buying can cause the sales to tank. Makes it seem like there wasn't really a big demand for DMC anyway. I mean, if Bayonetta only did OK sales, there was no chance for the DmC reboot.
  • Feanor 5 Feb 2013 18:38:38 14,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ninja Theory's buddies in the press are starting to spit the dummy now the sales projections have been slashed.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372
  • Page

of 25 First / Last