BioShock Infinite - Irrational games Page 63

• Page

of 79 First / Last

• Kanjin 23 Apr 2013 11:11:14 1,052 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Watching the credits now.

Wow, and Em, what the fuck was that at the end? Maybe I stormed through it too quickly (picked it up on Thursday) but it went completely fucking mental at the end and now I have no idea what the story was...

Utterly superb though, definitely one of the best games this gen. Good graphics, sound and such great storytelling. Gameplay was fun and engaging but that was on normal, I can only imagine that it would become frustrating on harder difficulty as the controls did at times struggle to accommodate the action on screen.
    Have a look over at the Spoiler thread, plenty of discussion - and links - over there.
  • kinky_mong 23 Apr 2013 11:31:51 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got to a certain fight two thirds of the way through the game last night that I was dreading on my 1999 playthrough, however it was a complete pushover! The fully upgraded Charge vigor is ridiculously overpowered, especially when combined with melee boosting gear so the fight was over in less than 30 seconds.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Telepathic.Geometry 24 Apr 2013 00:33:11 11,263 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kinky_mong Me too. I'd say conservatively 5-10 seconds every time. ^-^

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• kinky_mong 24 Apr 2013 10:13:34 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry The Bank fight took longer, and I died on the first two attempts because the boss has more room to get away from you in the chaos. Did the third fight first time though (by the skin of my teeth).

The gear that gives you a 40% chance of gaining salts from a kill is a godsend for big fights like that.

• Telepathic.Geometry 24 Apr 2013 10:50:40 11,263 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kinky_mong I think I had burning halo, brittle skin, executioner and something that gave me health from melee kills, plus Charge was fully upgraded giving me shield boosts as I slaughtered them. :) I was volley gunning her all the while too, and probably getting double damage on that because of my Gear. ^-^

It didn't do quite as much damage to the Handyman, but it's a great way to recover if he catches and corners ya... It's weird how little people seem to like the Volley gun, that was like my go-to gun in a pinch. You get plenty of ammo with it too.

• Deleted user 24 April 2013 11:02:03
    Kanjin wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Watching the credits now.

Wow, and Em, what the fuck was that at the end? Maybe I stormed through it too quickly (picked it up on Thursday) but it went completely fucking mental at the end and now I have no idea what the story was...

Utterly superb though, definitely one of the best games this gen. Good graphics, sound and such great storytelling. Gameplay was fun and engaging but that was on normal, I can only imagine that it would become frustrating on harder difficulty as the controls did at times struggle to accommodate the action on screen.
    Have a look over at the Spoiler thread, plenty of discussion - and links - over there.
    I did thanks and after reading some of the links I'm loving the story. All the bits I remember have been put together in my head and it's a fucking brilliant story. Might do the same for Bioshock 1 as I remember being bloody confused at the end of that as well! Reading about the story makes me want to run through it again (never ever do that with games).
  • Deleted user 24 April 2013 11:03:05
    So does 1999 unlock when you complete the game as nothing popped up for me?
  • figaro7 24 Apr 2013 11:37:54 1,362 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished it as well, thoroughly enjoyable, now to try and make some sense of the ending. Id put this above bioshock 1 simply because i enjoyed the setting more.
  • CharlieStCloud 24 Apr 2013 11:44:59 5,046 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Going through BioShock 2 (for the first time) now all because of my love for Infinite.

... surprised to see the theme of 'The Lamb' introduced so soon too!

Ah, it is nice to be back in Rapture.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Apr 2013 11:45:02 11,263 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mowgli Yeah, it should do, but if for some reason it didn't, you can enter a code at the menu screen to unlock it by force.

• imamazed 24 Apr 2013 11:47:35 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Going through BioShock 2 (for the first time) now all because of my love for Infinite.

... surprised to see the theme of 'The Lamb' introduced so soon too!

Ah, it is nice to be back in Rapture.
    controversial(ish) but my favourite in the series is actually 2.
  • CharlieStCloud 24 Apr 2013 12:00:00 5,046 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Controversial(ish) but my favourite in the series is actually 2.
    Oh, why did you have to go and say that?

*impatiently waits until five o'clock*

I am quite excited now ... : )
  • nickthegun 24 Apr 2013 12:26:20 58,782 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hes wrong, though. Its the worst of the series by some margin.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 24 Apr 2013 12:27:54 27,123 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I concur.
  • imamazed 24 Apr 2013 12:33:48 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, I'll remove the "ish"
  • SomaticSense 24 Apr 2013 12:55:53 7,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    Controversial(ish) but my favourite in the series is actually 2.
    Oh, why did you have to go and say that?

*impatiently waits until five o'clock*

I am quite excited now ... : )
    Ok, how's this for controversy?:

The DLC is miles better than than the main game. And Infinite. And Bioshock 1.

It really is quite special, and may well be the most unfairly underappreciated piece of gaming conent of the generation. Stunning ending too, bettered by little else in the industry.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Apr 2013 13:02:01 11,263 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Controversial bastards, both of ye...

• SomaticSense 24 Apr 2013 13:05:54 7,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I should have a career in politics really.

Or football.
  • imamazed 24 Apr 2013 14:01:16 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You may be right, but, to my shame, I'm never actually played Minerva's Den!
  • kinky_mong 24 Apr 2013 15:27:52 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    2 had the best combat of them all by some margin, and I thought the story sustained for the entire game much more effectively than the first.

Minerva's Den was great as well.

• jambii267 24 Apr 2013 16:10:31 1,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Minerva's Den was criminally overlooked. That's what happens when you release two shitty DLC's before you release something good!

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• CharlieStCloud 27 Apr 2013 15:05:01 5,046 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, where the heck is the BioShock 2 thread on here?!

... finished the game an hour ago after managing to get through my second trip to Rapture surprisingly quickly.

The combat is definitely the best of the three, although I do love the 'sky ride' mechanic in Infinite and the story seems to sustain (all the way) until the closing scenes compared to the original, in which the game unfortunately lost a fair bit of steam after the reveal two thirds of the way through.

Shorter too, which is a plus point for me ... only got a little bit bored in the area where you are asked to save (or harvest) three Little Sisters mainly because the area/environments were the least inspired in the game. The last 'battle' was fairly disappointing in that it was essentially a wave-generated machine (of a variety of Splicers and Alpha models).

Better than the 'end of game boss' in the original; I thoroughly disliked that.

Think I shall take a break before going on to play Minerva's Den in a couple of weeks time as I feel a little bit BioShock'ed out!

p.s. I see there's another DLC call the 'Protector Trials' ... is that worth playing too?
  • Retroid Moderator 28 Apr 2013 15:15:08 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Infinite fans should trot over to www.qwertee.com today as they've got a Rosalind/Robert Lutece tshirt design on sale today & tomorrow!

Edited by Retroid at 15:16:28 28-04-2013
  • Retroid Moderator 28 Apr 2013 15:17:29 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And no, I'm not on commission, I just like a few of their designs.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Apr 2013 17:46:59 37,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This one was dispatched to me today:

Gotta love Qwertee :)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Retroid Moderator 28 Apr 2013 18:30:10 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was tempted by that one!
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Apr 2013 12:24:52 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    C'est bumpe seeing as it's the last day for that tshirt.
  • Tomo 29 Apr 2013 13:47:48 13,878 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck. How did I miss the Lutece t-shirt :(. Never heard of that website either.
  • Tomo 29 Apr 2013 13:48:27 13,878 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scratch that, it's still going! Yay.
  • JinTypeNoir 29 Apr 2013 23:21:41 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So its finally been released in Japan last week and of course I picked it up along with Dark Arisen. As I've said before I'm not very good at these games, though I like the atmospheric ones, Blood (and Blood 2! Blood 2 was awesome, no matter what anyone said), No One Lives Forever, Painkiller, System Shock 1 and 2 (which are more RPGs), Marathon, Shogo, Heretic and Hexen, Metroid Prime (the original, didn't like it enough to play the sequels very much) and of course the other Bioshock games are about all the experience I have in this genre.

So I'm dying left, right and sideways on Easy because no matter how many of these games I play, the gap between releases always seems to dull whatever limited skill I build up with the control schemes. But its still a lot of fun despite my low skill. And so far, I like it better than Bioshock, though Bioshock felt a lot more RPGish and conducive to slow-paced play, its still fun to try and take in the sights as much as you can here. On the other hand, I already feel like Columbia is a much better setting than Rapture ever was.

The Japanese localization is...quite suspect. I've ever heard the character voices in English, because I watched big chunks of this game (don't care about spoilers, the game's story is going to be good or bad whether I know what happens or not) and the Japanese dub simply isn't on par. I don't know whether its bad direction or clueless direction, but I guess the impression they were trying to imitate the goofy way some of the characters talk in a literal way in Japanese and it just sounds weird.
  • Page

of 79 First / Last