Any NFL fans? Page 2

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• JBlokeUK 4 Aug 2010 10:59:29 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If Peppers and Harris can remain injury free for the whole season and play at pro bowl level, and with Urlacher back and Lance Briggs also playing at a high level, our D could be a top 5 defense, my only worry is the secondary though.

Brett Favre has apparently said he is retiring *yawn*

I like it when he's angry.

• Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 11:09:35 454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Secondary is far too weak. Top 15 defence is more likely if your offence can refrain from turning it over 10 times a game.
  • JBlokeUK 4 Aug 2010 11:18:08 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I agree mate to a degree. We have decent corners in Tillman and Bowman, but we're weak at safety. I'm worried by what Cutler said recently in that Martz's offensive scheme is ''complicated''. I can see us being slow starters this year.

I like it when he's angry.

• Clive_Dunn 4 Aug 2010 12:30:31 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having suffered through a year of the 49ers playing Martz-ball I can tell you the Bears will need a quality offensive line and a QB with a quick release. His pass routes do tend to take a long time to develop.

As the Bears have neither of those they are stuffed.

I still wake up at night in a cold sweat thinking of JT O'Sullivan holding onto the ball for ever.
  • Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 12:54:06 454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Having suffered through a year of the 49ers playing Martz-ball I can tell you the Bears will need a quality offensive line and a QB with a quick release. His pass routes do tend to take a long time to develop.

As the Bears have neither of those they are stuffed.

I still wake up at night in a cold sweat thinking of JT O'Sullivan holding onto the ball for ever.

It's true, although I do think cutler could do it with a line. He's a good QB he just had nothing to work with last year, a db/returner as your number 1 reciever. Come on, get him some help. They should have snapped up TO before the bengals whether he's a distraction or not it's someone to throw the ball to.

I'm looking forward to our chances this year. Pound the ball and throw it play action to Crabtree, Davis and Morgan. Our defence is looking pretty impressive as well, really hope our rookie linebackersafety can perform up to his physical potential.
  • Clive_Dunn 4 Aug 2010 14:47:59 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure having a lack of talent outside was a reason for him throwing into heavy coverage, but I agree he is a better player than that. Just takes too many risks and makes some really dumbarse plays.

49ers season is all about Alex Smith for me, I don't think pounding the ball wins games in the NFL without a viable passing attack. I'm still far from convinced about Alex, if he doesn't do it this year he never will.

I remain unconvinced about Taylor Mays. I scouted him quite a bit pre draft as FS was a big need for the team. Was horrified by his poor technique - his backpedal / footwork was so bad I didn't see how he could go before the 3rd round. I'd guess we won't see him on the field this year.
  • Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 15:29:33 454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well you throw into heavy coverage when your line is constantly in your own face and you have to make the decision earlier than you want to. He had a half crippled Orlando Pace at left tackle for god sake, it was a pretty dire situation on the bears offence in general.

I don't really agree with the running game can't win without the air game. The running game makes the air game. Alex Smith just needs to have an ok year if we can run the ball successfully. Like the Jets last year, Sanchez was more than average until the playoffs when he picked it up. Same goes for Joe Flacco the year before last.
  • Clive_Dunn 4 Aug 2010 16:48:27 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it was more likely Cutler was throwing into coverage as he didn't know what his progressions were. He looked as confused as hell out there in the games I saw. Although he always did that even when in a decent system with decent receivers and a good line at Denver. Just the player he is at this stage of his career.

It's always amused me slightly that running game enthusiasts quote the statistical aberrations in support of their argument. It seems to me that every consistently winning team over the last decade has had a stellar QB. People might shout about the Buccs winning it one year, but they've done nothing since.

The NFL is a passing league, you can hide anything but a rubbish QB. If Smith is average the Niners struggle to 8-8, if he's good and throws for 3,000 yards + and 20 TD's then they can go deep into the playoffs. He's the variable for me.
  • ronuds 4 Aug 2010 16:51:56 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cutler sucks... he's always been kind of wishy washy. I don't predict much from him this year either.
  • y2rich 4 Aug 2010 16:59:21 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Clive

Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger x2. All mediocre qb's on run first teams that won the big one.
  • Clive_Dunn 4 Aug 2010 17:03:15 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Neither Ben or Eli are mediocre QB's. Dilfer had the best defense in the history of the game.

Just go through the SB winning QB's of the last 20 years, you'll get a couple of strange ones ( Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer ) but the rest are all top quality.

Winning in the NFL starts at Quarterback.
  • ronuds 4 Aug 2010 17:05:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eli and Big Ben are seen as two of the best QBs of today?
  • Stringer_Bell 4 Aug 2010 17:40:32 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ben was poor in his first superbowl, but he was clutch in the game against Arizona last year. I think he's the best 'big game' QB in the NFL, next to Brady. Peyton is one of, if not the, most talented QB to ever have graced the NFL, but he's a bit of a choker.

Eli actually had a really good year last time out, and was the only thing really keeping a transitional Giants side together.

As for the draft this Sunday at 6pm, I have just realised the Charity Shield will be on around that time, so would 8pm be better for everyone?

'There's no cure for being a c***' - Bronn

• KingOfSpain 4 Aug 2010 17:48:59 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    8 would be much better for me.
  • SuperCol84 4 Aug 2010 18:11:28 98 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello knowledgeable NFL fans. I'm in the US Sept-Oct and was hoping to sample some authentic Yank sporting joy.

It just so happens we could go to Atlanta @ Cleveland on Oct 10. Would this be a 'decent' game, or the equivilant of Blackpool v Blackburn in the Premier League?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2010 18:14:24 26,134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm guessing you don't have Sky then?
  • Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 18:14:31 454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Neither Ben or Eli are mediocre QB's. Dilfer had the best defense in the history of the game.

Just go through the SB winning QB's of the last 20 years, you'll get a couple of strange ones ( Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer ) but the rest are all top quality.

It is tough to win it all with an average QB but the examples I stated before are good examples you can do well and go deep in the playoffs with a superior running game and an average QB. You see it every year, Bengals last year as well.

Actually IMO it starts with the lines. If you cant stop the run and protect your quarterback you're not going to do anything. Stick P Manning at the Browns and he will win them 8 games, but there not going to the playoffs.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2010 18:17:10 26,134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCol84 wrote:
    Hello knowledgeable NFL fans. I'm in the US Sept-Oct and was hoping to sample some authentic Yank sporting joy.

It just so happens we could go to Atlanta @ Cleveland on Oct 10. Would this be a 'decent' game, or the equivilant of Blackpool v Blackburn in the Premier League?
    It won't be the greatest game around as Cleveland are pretty dire. Worth going anyway for the experience though. Watching the NFL live is excellent and each time I've been the fans have been excellent and just want to get you involved.
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2010 18:17:22 19,490 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    8 is fine for me S_B.

Also SuperCol, they're not the best teams in the league, but if I had the chance to see any NFL game I'd take it, so it's probably worth going to see. Is that the only game you can get to see or are there others that you could maybe get to?

She dives for cheese pasties

• Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 18:18:59 454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Area88 wrote:
    I'd watch NFL all the time but they never show it in the UK apart from the Super Bowl, pisses me off living in such a backwards country.

When I have the money, I'm moving to the States and geting myself season tickets to the NBA, NFL and NHL.

More like Villa vs Stoke.
  • y2rich 4 Aug 2010 18:22:01 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    8 is fine by me :D
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2010 18:23:12 19,490 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Area88 wrote:
    I'd watch NFL all the time but they never show it in the UK apart from the Super Bowl, pisses me off living in such a backwards country.

When I have the money, I'm moving to the States and geting myself season tickets to the NBA, NFL and NHL.

Well I wouldn't say we're backwards per se, it's just that in general people in this country have enough sports to keep them occupied and many don't see the attraction in NFL football, which I can understand to a certain extent. As SCH points out though you can watch NFL games on Sky Sports, and I also think ESPN show some games, aswell as NHL and NBA games aswell.

And I believe that would probably cost an absolute fortune. Great experience no doubt, but there aren't that many cities as far as I'm aware of that have a team in all 3 of those leagues, so a lot of travel may be needed. If you were really serious you might want to think about dropping one of them and just focusing on the two, as during the NFL season I can imagine that being a hectic schedule, especially when the NHL season kicks off in October and they play like 2 or 3 games a week sometimes.

• SuperCol84 4 Aug 2010 18:23:50 98 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just as I suspected. Not really any chance to see any other games because of the route we're travelling.

Still, should be a great way to pass a Sunday afternoon in Cleveland.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2010 18:25:30 26,134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolutey. You'll love it.

Try and get tickets in the Dawg Pound! :)
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2010 18:27:39 19,490 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, it might not be fantastic in terms of the quality of the game, but the experience will be amazing. You're quite lucky SuperCol! :) I'd love to go the Lucas Oil and see the Colts one day, though that's probably years off becoming a reality!

• SuperCol84 4 Aug 2010 18:37:59 98 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers guys.

Yeah, absolutely can't wait, trying to cram in as much into 25 days as I can!

OT, but, early/mid Oct should be abou pre-seaosn time for NBA, and playoff time for MLB, right?
  • KingOfSpain 4 Aug 2010 19:46:37 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCol84 wrote:

Oi! Go easy on the Blackburn Rovers bashing or there'll be trouble!!

:)
  • Clive_Dunn 4 Aug 2010 21:56:05 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain_America wrote:
    Clive Dunn wrote:

It is tough to win it all with an average QB but the examples I stated before are good examples you can do well and go deep in the playoffs with a superior running game and an average QB. You see it every year, Bengals last year as well.

Actually IMO it starts with the lines. If you cant stop the run and protect your quarterback you're not going to do anything. Stick P Manning at the Browns and he will win them 8 games, but there not going to the playoffs.

I think my point is that teams without really solid QB play can get to the playoffs, but they can't do it regularly. The Jets got lucky last year, relatively soft schedule, great line and the most aggressive defense in the league led by a CB having probably the best year you'll ever see from a DB. Good for them, but if Sanchez doesn't improve ( and he will, I rated him highly both in college and his play got a lot better down the stretch ) they'll slip back into the pack.

Offensive line play seems to me to actually be much more related to the QB than is obvious. Brady, Manning, Brees all make those lineman look a lot better than they are. Average QB's do the opposite, often holding the ball and taking the hit rather than making the correct read.

Sure, you can quote individual teams who have got to the playoffs with a strong running game and good defense. Yes it happens. However I'll point to elite QB's taking their teams to the playoffs over numerous years, and going a lot deeper on average.

I don't have the time to do the stats, but I'd estimate 75% of the playoff teams over the last years have 3,500 yard passers going in.

I'm not sure using the Bungals as an example of average QB taking his team in is a good one. Carson Palmer is a very good QB indeed, and once that knee is 100% he'll be a top 10 player at his position.
  • ronuds 4 Aug 2010 22:20:15 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Area88 wrote:

And I believe that would probably cost an absolute fortune. Great experience no doubt, but there aren't that many cities as far as I'm aware of that have a team in all 3 of those leagues, so a lot of travel may be needed. If you were really serious you might want to think about dropping one of them and just focusing on the two, as during the NFL season I can imagine that being a hectic schedule, especially when the NHL season kicks off in October and they play like 2 or 3 games a week sometimes.

There are a few cities with all 3 of those leagues represented (NY, Boston, Chicago, etc.), but season tickets will probably bankrupt you.

I believe the average season ticket for the NY Jets is something like $10,000. That's for 8 games, plus playoffs... if they make it! o_O

Not only that, but if you want season tix for a team like the Patriots, you might have to wait a few years.
  • Page

of 38 First / Last