Race Driver : GRID 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 27 July 2010 15:13:41
    From the front page :
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/codies-opflash-dirt-grid-sequels-on-way

I for one thought GRID was excellent. It had its critics (what game doesnt?) but i still think its one of the best racers this gen. Cant wait for the sequel, hopefully there will be more cars to choose from and a slightly better damage model.
    The MP could do with a bit of tinkering too.
  • GingerPixel 27 Jul 2010 15:32:04 277 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I enjoyed it, the drift events especially. It seems that they're either overly arcadey or impossible in most games. Sometimes both, I'm looking at you NFS Shift!
  • Deleted user 27 July 2010 17:18:03
    GingerPixel wrote:
    I enjoyed it, the drift events especially. It seems that they're either overly arcadey or impossible in most games. Sometimes both, I'm looking at you NFS Shift!

GRID was the first game where I enjoyed the drift events. Will be interesting to see if Codemasters try to compete with Gran Turismo 5 and have lots of different racing disciplines like rally, F1,etc.
    Would be chuffed if they did a destruction derby style mode too...
  • gazzy 27 Jul 2010 17:46:12 882 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well they wouldn't do Rally would they? That would impact on their other product...
  • Deleted user 27 July 2010 20:43:35
    gazzy wrote:
    Well they wouldn't do Rally would they? That would impact on their other product...

Obviously they've got the Dirt franchise, but if GRID 2 included just a few rally races I think it would be very cool.
  • PapaSmurf630 28 Jul 2010 05:21:20 246 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grid 2 is the best announcement I have heard for months.

The first was one of my favourite racers this generation (up there with Blur) so if they can add to what made the first great, I'll be shitting myself with excitement.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Jul 2010 10:35:23 26,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully they can add some artificial intelligence this time round.

/breaks for corner

/gets hit by 8 cars
  • brseg 28 Jul 2010 10:43:49 679 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hope the Codies aren't spreading themselves too thin with all these new games. Anyway, I'm praying that F1 is good, for starters. Have been watching all the E3 vids I can find, and it looks excellent.

For me Grid was so good that it might be a hard sell for Grid 2 - what can they improve?
  • Deleted user 28 July 2010 13:18:47
    brseg wrote:
    I hope the Codies aren't spreading themselves too thin with all these new games. Anyway, I'm praying that F1 is good, for starters. Have been watching all the E3 vids I can find, and it looks excellent.

For me Grid was so good that it might be a hard sell for Grid 2 - what can they improve?

Codemasters are slowly becoming the kings of racing games : Dirt, Grid and F1 all on the go!. Would like to see them try some other sports, maybe even try their hands at football?.

In terms of what they can improve, i'd say the online needs major work. Seemed quite dull whenever i tried it. Also, they'll be using the new EGO 2.0 engine, so i imagine GRID 2 will look even nicer than the first game.......and the first game still holds up as one of the nicest looking games around.
  • Fork_Handles 28 Jul 2010 13:25:38 29 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, for MP I hope they speed up the loading times between races on the PS3, and enable voice chat to continue while the races load and while you're dumped back to the lobby.

Also, it would be nice if they'd open up the track and car combinations rather than have everything set and unchangeable as it currently is.

Oh, and allow the host to change race settings after making his/her initial selection without having to quit out and reload everything again.

Sort that lot out and I'll be happy.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2010 09:37:47
    Fork_Handles wrote:
    Well, for MP I hope they speed up the loading times between races on the PS3, and enable voice chat to continue while the races load and while you're dumped back to the lobby.

Also, it would be nice if they'd open up the track and car combinations rather than have everything set and unchangeable as it currently is.

Oh, and allow the host to change race settings after making his/her initial selection without having to quit out and reload everything again.

Sort that lot out and I'll be happy.

What he said.

• Deleted user 10 August 2010 09:18:20
    Looking over on the Codemasters forums, a lot of people are talking about a Destruction Derby type game mode. As i mentioned in an earlier post, i would love to see that as DD on the PSone was an absolute blast to play.
    Been a while since i played the first GRID but im pretty sure there was at least one Destruction race.......hopefully there will be more for G2.
  • shamblemonkee 13 Jul 2012 09:32:18 14,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GRiD 2 announced at 10:00?
  • shamblemonkee 13 Jul 2012 09:45:46 14,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm apparently not a sequel that will be announced so who knows what it is.
  • Mr-Brett 13 Jul 2012 10:06:43 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's definitely not Grid :)

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• shamblemonkee 13 Jul 2012 10:10:42 14,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha no. But you know what it looks and sounds fun
  • Mr-Brett 13 Jul 2012 10:28:21 12,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I look forward to seeing a gameplay trailer.

What happened to Grid though? as in the OP they were talking about doing it years ago but it just went cold. Maybe the F1 and the Dirt games were taking up all the resources and it got put on hold?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• shamblemonkee 13 Jul 2012 10:33:26 14,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grid is in the works they've hinted they are actively working on it, but i wouldn't expect much news before December
  • Deleted user 15 July 2012 14:45:48
    Oh fuck you guys, you got me very excited just then! :p

Still playing Grid online. It is still quite well populated.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Aug 2012 10:59:50 3,411 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Teaser Trailer :

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 11:10:47 03-08-2012

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 3 August 2012 11:07:54
    ..... that was pointless. been waiting all this time and we get a teaser for a teaser next week! sigh! still at least we know it exists.

as for MP. i like to see groups/racing clubs. community groups where you can set up leagues, Just for fun , etc etc.

i know it ain't going to happen but cross platform online :) i seem to be the only ps3 racer!
  • Deleted user 3 August 2012 12:08:11
    Great news :)
  • chasejamie 3 Aug 2012 12:18:22 817 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did they not shut down the PS3 Grid servers on PS3? Might explain why your the only racer on?!
  • Anthony_UK 3 Aug 2012 23:01:04 2,551 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just dug grid out for another bash for the first time since release and I can't believe the game is nearly 5 years old!

Anyway despite the graphics not being as impressive as they once we're, what surprised me is how enjoyable and addictive the racing still is. Actually I don't think there has been much that has come close on the arcade side of things anyway. The handling didn't seem as 'wrong' as it first did either, it's just a very very good racing game.
  • shamblemonkee 8 Aug 2012 09:59:20 14,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gushingly over the top preview over on gamesradar: http://www.gamesradar.com/grid-2-weve-played-it-were-calling-it-racing-games-will-never-be-same-again/

worried that no helmet cam also means no cockpit camera, but very interested in the 3 branches of racing they are including - could be a rival to NFS and forza Horizon on those fronts as well as a fun track racer.

also hoping that they have included the dynamic weather from f1, silly not to.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 10:01:46 08-08-2012
  • glaeken 8 Aug 2012 10:12:05 11,266 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They certainly sound impressed. I think if the games a little more focussed it could benefit it. In some ways the variety in the first game was good but you also never really got much of a feel for individual cars as you were changing about so much.

I actually wish they would skip the hyper car stuff as that was some of my least liked events. The handling model for me was at its best on the muscle car racing and whatever track event had the TVR in it. They seemed to be able to get the balance right in those types of events for how the handling felt. The more they pushed the top speed the more the handling model went out of whack for me.

Edited by glaeken at 10:17:31 08-08-2012
  • uiruki 8 Aug 2012 13:53:03 3,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, I'm in two minds about the removal of the cockpit mode. On the one hand, even though I haven't enjoyed a game's dashboard cam since F355 Challenge, it seems a waste of existing assets not even to have the option to keep it for the cars from the previous game, perhaps while doing a GT5-style generic black polygon interior for the remainder. On the other hand, there are some unexpectedly hilarious meltdowns online about it which could make Grid 2 (at least in one respect) the most entertaining arcadey race game in years.
  • glaeken 8 Aug 2012 14:16:43 11,266 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never use cockpit mode personally as it feels like you have tunnel vision. I can imagine cock pit view would be amazing with an Oculus Rift head set though. I can see that really working well in racing games. The thing racing games are always missing for me is you don't look straight ahead when taking a corner. You look into the corner.

Edited by glaeken at 14:17:51 08-08-2012
  • Maturin 8 Aug 2012 14:52:35 3,231 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    No cockpit no buy
    This.

Very bored of Codemasters hiding their cheepness behind hihg-concepts, marketing and other bullshit. They quote various figures for the lack of in-cockpit view, yet the real reason is bound to be saving them money.

They design very pretty game engines, but fuck all content. Dirt 3 for example had only one rally course per country. And then release them without enough testing so some major bugs always slip through.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous