The Boardwalk Empire: HBO mafia drama Page 9

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Trane 26 Nov 2012 23:27:31 4,049 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sometimes, a special bit of TV leaves you speechless. That episode was just incredible.
  • hilts 28 Nov 2012 10:10:43 123 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Am loving this show. Last episode and the ending was fantastic. Presume there are more seasons to come ?
  • AcidSnake 28 Nov 2012 10:24:21 7,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great episode, though it illustrates exactly what was so off in the previous ones...Too much sappy bullshit no-one cares about...

Capone's reveal (who was hiding behind all the men for no apparent reason) was great...

Love to see Harrow murder all of Gyp's men in the brothel just because he wants to save the boy...And let's hope a stray bullet catches Gillian in the face...

Also with Luciano fucking things up it looks like someone needs to save Meyer and him from this huge debt they now have...Which I hope means Rothstein will bail them out and stand with Nucky...

Gripping stuff...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• whatfruit 28 Nov 2012 11:39:14 1,080 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Finale is going to be ridiculous. Primary reason:

If you've got a problem that no one else can handle, and if you can cut a deal with him, maybe you can hire Al-Capone.

Some great moments and writing in the last episode. The stand off between Chalky and Gyp was probably the best 1-1 exchange of the season, both men insulting the other but sounding complimentry.
    Eddie Kessler yet again showing himself to be a marine, I really want to know what Nucky did for Eddie that has made him so loyal. Richard Harrow loading up his considerable arsenal and giving the camera his best one eyed stare.

Gillian genuine shudder when Rosetti touches her (anyone else think she is baiting harrow into killing Gyp's crew?). Luciano's deal with the (supposedly dumb) Buffalo gangster, causing Rothstein's advice last episode to ring true.

The only thing that could have made the epidode better was if George Muller had got out of that car with Capone.

Edited by whatfruit at 11:48:45 28-11-2012
  • SFD 28 Nov 2012 11:52:25 465 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got to agree that the last episode was incredible TV. It would be nice if Margaret got shot in the face during the finale, though.
  • Syrette 28 Nov 2012 12:11:45 41,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hopefully Margaret and the kids have run off never to be seen again.

Would be a low key exit for one of the main characters, mind.

• Syrette 28 Nov 2012 12:32:07 41,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hilts wrote:
    Am loving this show. Last episode and the ending was fantastic. Presume there are more seasons to come ?
    Fourth is confirmed.

Can see this lasting 6 seasons. Prohibition ended in 1933. If I'm not mistaken season 3 takes place during 1923. So plenty of material to go on up till then as I'm not sure how much influence the real Nucky had without the illegal alcohol trade. Even it goes on past '33, there's still plenty to work with. Such as the rise of certain famous mobsters, drugs replacing alcohol, Frank Costello, the Five Families/The Commission etc.

Not that Boardwalk Empire is only about the Mafia but given its subject matter they're only to become more and more integral to the overall storyline. I mean a lot of this season has dealt with Nucky et al dealing with their own issues, whilst a concurrent plot follows the mob in New York and Chicago. The finale at least will see the two sets of characters intertwine more than they have been.

Edited by Syrette at 20:11:15 11-08-2013

• Bananazniper 28 Nov 2012 13:11:46 440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fucking love this show. From the dancing showgirls to the suits, the cars, tommy guns, the sets, everything just oozes atmosphere. Of course, it would mean nothing if the story and acting is shite, but this season has been spectacular. Best thing on TV for me.
  • captainrentboy 28 Nov 2012 20:52:25 838 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gotta agree with everyone else, the show's really taken off this season. Whilst the oldies like Dexter and SOA are getting extremely tired, and even Homeland seems to be lagging after just one season, Boardwalk just keeps getting better!
    It's bumped its way up to my fave show currently on TV.
    Can't wait for the finale, should be nuts.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 21:07:47
    It is easily the best thing on TV at the moment and the current run is probably the best single series of anything in the past few years.

Richard Harrow is going to kill Rosettis entire gang.
  • captainrentboy 28 Nov 2012 21:27:22 838 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Harrow had better not die in the next episode, I want to see him running around gunning folk down, in slow motion, like a one man army, and then finally get laid. :)
  • neilka 3 Dec 2012 15:03:52 14,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• faux_carnation 3 Dec 2012 22:01:58 8,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got to the end if series 2, pretty shocked they killed Jimmy. It was a bit of a slog to get this far anyway; not sure I'll bother carrying on now they've killed the obly character I found vaguely interesting.
  • monkehhh 3 Dec 2012 22:44:20 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A LOT happened in that final episode, easily could've filled up a few more episodes.
  • captainrentboy 3 Dec 2012 22:55:29 838 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stick with it Faux, this third season was easily the best of the lot, Gyp Rosetti's crazy ways kind of make up for the other character's absence.
    Great last episode, but it could've easily been spread over another 2 or 3 hours. Harrow's moment was friggin fantastic, only complaint was the lack of Michael Shannon.
  • localnotail 3 Dec 2012 23:05:57 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    An ending that just opens up so much for the next season. Elegantly done. Gods I'm going to miss this and Gyp :(

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 3 December 2012 23:20:43
    I hope they expand on al Capone next series and I'm sure they will. I assume Chicago going the deal with Atlanta to fuck over new York.
  • Bananazniper 4 Dec 2012 00:30:33 440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I wish I had Richard Harrow's quick-scoping skills lol. Great last episode, and the web Nucky can weave, he's still got it.
  • Trane 4 Dec 2012 10:18:15 4,049 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I took it as a symbolic 'no more Mr nice guy'.

Quite enjoyed the finale, although not quite as much as I'd hoped after the fantastic penultimate episode. Harrow's scene was amazing, but the gang on gang stuff seemed to be skimmed over, it seemed to echo the ending to Gangs of New York for me - where so much had been done to build things up only for the conclusion to be handled very matter of factly.

Lots of double crossing though, Nuckie is a pragmatic and calculating bastard. Looking forward to season 4.
  • whatfruit 4 Dec 2012 11:42:38 1,080 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Richard Harrow is the terminator, best character in the show got the best scene in it's history, simply amazing sequence.

I hope Gillian survies her OD, her dirty talk with Gyp in the office was both hilarious and fraught with tension. I think the series will miss soemthing without her perverted antics. Joe Masseria has really warmed his way into my heart ("you have no Nucky Thompson,Ay?") looking foward to more of him next season. It has set us up for a conflict between Luciano/Mayer vs Rothstein/Masseria.

Nucky has repaired his realtionship with his brother and shunned his residency in the Ritz to go fully underground.

Overall though this has been the best season yet and I for one cannot wait for the next season to start. Looking foward to seeing Chalky's club in full swing.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 22:37:03
    I've been on the road for 18 hours straight. I need a bath, some chow then you and I need to sit down and talk about who dies.

God I love this show. Buying the box set for sure when eventually comes out.
  • glaeken 17 Dec 2012 10:20:54 10,975 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got to the end of this and loved it. There was the odd bit of patchy plotting in the final episode though. Just what were Nucky and Eli going to do when they arrived at Gillianís? They did not know Harrow was going to kill all of Gyp's men and if they had arrived on their own they would have been killed. They sent away all their men to kill the guys who were leaving and no longer a threat. That made no sense.

Still it was great overall and I am going to miss Gyp. A great character.

Edited by glaeken at 10:21:47 17-12-2012
  • Blakester 17 Dec 2012 10:48:24 3,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A fantastic series overall, but I felt as though it peaked with the penultimate episode which raised the bar too high for the finale.

I loved the way that Nucky was initially portrayed as losing a grip on his domain, only to demonstrate just what a cold and calculating bastard he really is by the end of the finale.

Was I the only one who was unsure about his final scene with Margaret? It felt very dream-like to me.

Also do this mean no more Rothstein in season 4? He's one of my favourite characters so I hope not.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• glaeken 17 Dec 2012 11:29:37 10,975 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am sure Rothstein will be in it. If nothing else they will be dealing with Nucky stitching him up.

I am not sure on what is happening with Margaret. That was a weird scene. It does feel like that could be the end of that character as well. I don't see any way they are coming back from that and I thought it tied in at the end with the no more being a known man for Nucky bit. I actually donít dislike Margaret as much as some but I do think there is nothing else to do with that character. If they come back itís just going to be repeating what they have already done.

Edited by glaeken at 11:32:44 17-12-2012
  • Popzeus 17 Dec 2012 11:48:26 8,250 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So many great moments in those last two episodes. Last 5 minutes of the penultimate episode was probably the high point, but also loved the mayor's press conference where he says he runs the city, not Nucky Thompson, then there's the little pause, all the reporters fall about laughing and he storms off... lovely little touch.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• megastar 17 Dec 2012 12:23:58 17,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    after the awesomeness of the end of the penultimate episode, this fell a bit short of my expectations and just felt rushed. Still very good though.

Still, this show has just got better and better this season especially. Very much looking forward to the next! One of the best things on Telly!
  • Baihu1983 11 Jan 2013 11:42:37 2,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cool fan made vid

• sirtacos 11 Mar 2013 14:54:53 7,205 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Richard Harrow is Boardwalk Empire's Tyrion Lannister. By which I mean that he's been the show's main draw for me. I'm glad to finally see him get some on-screen badassery time, although I didn't expect him to be such a Terminator.

I've been hoping that Michael Shannon's character, Van Alden, would become an enforcer for Al Capone, or one of the other gangs in Cicero. Those scenes, in which he brandishes his suitcase menacingly, seemed to hint towards such a future. Looks like that'll have to wait til next season...

Overall though that was an explosive finale and I loved it.

I just hope Nucky and Margaret don't reconcile. I think their relationship has run its course. My interest in it certainly has.
    We've seen a very similar dynamic play out already with Tony and Carmella Soprano. It'd be tedious to tread old ground.

Edited by sirtacos at 15:02:57 11-03-2013
  • Page

of 14 First / Last