The Boardwalk Empire: HBO mafia drama Page 5

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• localnotail 27 Sep 2011 13:56:37 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry, what now? Are you a neo-victorian? Do you expect people to remain fully clothed while in their own bedrooms / in brothels?

There were breasts and a shadowy hint of bush though, since you asked. All seemed perfectly natural to me.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• HoriZon 27 Sep 2011 17:56:08 13,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Love a bit of bush.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• SuperCoolEskimo 29 Sep 2011 00:29:18 9,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Sorry, what now? Are you a neo-victorian? Do you expect people to remain fully clothed while in their own bedrooms / in brothels?

There were breasts and a shadowy hint of bush though, since you asked. All seemed perfectly natural to me.
    Nothing against nudity on TV when it is relevant to the plot, but BE is ridiculous for throwing in sex/nudity for no reason whatsoever.
  • Dougs 18 Oct 2011 08:51:40 66,624 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome 1st episode imo. It's going to go mental.
  • figgis 18 Oct 2011 09:10:12 7,383 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True, if the first season was scene setting this one is about conflict.
  • pistol 18 Oct 2011 09:19:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm still enjoying it but Kelly Macdonald's accent is just ridiculous.
  • ScoutTech 18 Oct 2011 09:29:23 2,423 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has it picked up then. I watched the first series but haven't bothered so far with the second as although I enjoyed the setting & the period I just found it plodded along.
  • Dougs 18 Oct 2011 09:45:39 66,624 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like the pace of it. It fits the atmosphere, much like Mad Men does
  • Blakester 18 Oct 2011 09:50:53 3,567 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really enjoying season 2.

The set up in the first two episodes points to some serious fireworks to come, and I particularly like the fact they've given Chalky White a much bigger role.

It's amazing that a character like Nucky who is seriously flawed can generate so much sympathy, but I guess that testament to the talents of Steve Buscemi.

It's never been a fast-paced show, but the enjoyment for me is reveling in the characters and setting and being shocked at the short, sharp bursts of violence.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Dougs 18 Oct 2011 09:52:13 66,624 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hang on, was the Sky showing a double bill?
  • localnotail 18 Oct 2011 15:06:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo should avoid this week's episode. Fans of breasts will however enjoy the frolicking mostly naked hookers and other ungarbed ladies.

There were many strands kept in hand and I've really enjoyed how they have approached it. I can't recall many other shows that have kept so many concurrent storylines in motion, and they do not lose quality either. All interesting developments driving the whole story forward. The ending was very powerful.

• Vice.Destroyer 31 Oct 2011 10:32:20 5,823 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Season 2 is a lot stronger than season 1 was. Really loving every scene with Chalky White. I've had a man crush on Michael K Williams since The Wire, but he is bringing a different intensity to this character and it is awesome.

Also, that agent Van Hays (or whatever his name is), he has got a guardian angel, hasn't he? That's two troublesome agents of his, that have been gotten rid off. One by water, another by fire. I want some more of this. Awesome stuff.
  • Trane 3 Nov 2011 09:10:41 4,050 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me, this season has definitely built and improved on the first. I'm really looking forward to each episode. There's a really meaty storyline that seems to be bubbling up as we enter the last half of the season.
  • localnotail 15 Nov 2011 01:55:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just when you think you know how it's going...

Still really loving this. Nice to see Uncle Junior again too :)

• Syrette 16 Nov 2011 19:40:56 43,061 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jimmy is such a prick.

Looking forward to seeing how they deal with him.

I presume the character will be back for season 3 but the way things are going...

• localnotail 16 Nov 2011 21:08:38 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jimmy does seem to be losing it. Although I would have done the same to that giggling berk.

It twists and turns, does the plot, like a twisty-turny thing.

• Syrette 28 Nov 2011 23:47:57 43,061 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why don't you just... show 'em your cock?

Regarding the ending, I guess I saw that coming. Good to see a bit of revenge.

Show is really in its stride now, looking forward to an explosive couple of last episodes. You don't feel any sympathy towards Jimmy and his crew and I'm wondering how they'll be dealt with.

edit; is this thread running at US (as I am) or UK pace? I.e. is it worth hiding spoilers or not?

Edited by Syrette at 23:53:24 28-11-2011

• Deleted user 29 November 2011 00:26:27
    Finding this pretty shit, but I still watch it, odd.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2011 12:35:48
    This is easily the best show on TV at the moment. If you find it shit then you just suck at watching quality TV.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2011 12:37:16
    Well it's this, or reality TV innit.
  • jozz 30 Nov 2011 23:52:22 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does take time to establish the characters and plot points but when it all comes to fruition it's one of the best shows out there. The last episode is a perfect example. It's so well acted and it does such a good job of drawing you into the time period. It's a really interesting and rewarding show that is hopefully getting watched by people who are looking for that kind of stuff.
  • localnotail 1 Dec 2011 00:08:31 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The new boys are just beginning to realise that their bosses didn't have it easy, they just made it look easy. They tried to take over, and now it's coming down around their ears.

Meanwhile, Nuchy played a long game with the booze and won, but he's going to have his work cut out escaping jail.

Jimmy is going to flip when he finds out what's dead on his bedroom floor.

There are so many threads to this, and it's all starting to unravel.

Beautiful storytelling, brilliant TV.

Edited by localnotail at 01:03:25 01-12-2011

• Syrette 1 Dec 2011 00:43:37 43,061 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So no need for spoiler tags?

I think it's being set up for Gillian to make a proper pass at Jimmy, now they've got an excuse to push the incest angle.

• localnotail 1 Dec 2011 01:01:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought I was vague enough to avoid the need for spoilers, I'm on my phone & I'm tired. I can change it if you think I need to.

I don't think she would ever go so far as to make a pass at him. I think she knows her power is greatest if she remains unconquered. She needs him to always love (and secretly want) her. She knows from experience that is lost in consummation.

• jamesi 1 Dec 2011 05:12:22 197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    lol some of the writing here is better than the programme localnotail last post:)im catching up with episode ten tonite.how many more are left will be annoyed when series finishes until season 3 lol.also sopranos was best show ever imo!;)
  • Syrette 1 Dec 2011 10:02:31 43,061 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I thought I was vague enough to avoid the need for spoilers, I'm on my phone & I'm tired. I can change it if you think I need to.
    Not at all, I'm just wondering whether I need to put them in myself or not in future. No big deal. I imagine some wait for Sky to air it unlike us who torrent it on a Monday.

• Syrette 1 Dec 2011 10:09:08 43,061 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So apparently the big talking point at the moment is whether the Commodore said "Why don't you just... show 'em/him your cock?" or "Why don't you just... show 'em/him your cunt?".

I might have to go back and watch this scene, one viewing is not enough to get a definitive answer.

• localnotail 1 Dec 2011 13:37:48 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cunt. The line that follows about lifting up your skirts and letting them fuck you (IIRC) confirms that.

• figgis 1 Dec 2011 13:57:38 7,383 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cunt
  • Page

of 14 First / Last