Hitman: Absolution Page 17

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 November 2012 10:24:56
    I thought Max Payne 3 was easily the best third person shooter I've played so I'll take his opinion with a pinch of salt.

I really want this Hitman to be good but I'm not convinced IO have it in them after the woeful K&L games.
  • Metalfish 11 Nov 2012 10:31:57 8,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some worrying stuff there. I tend to trust PCgamer a bit more than official outlets. No preorder for me then.
  • fletch7100 11 Nov 2012 10:37:19 6,187 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Game informer console review 8.75

They moan about the story, mainly that its just to cause controversy just for the sake of it
  • zisssou 11 Nov 2012 10:39:57 579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I honestly couldn't care less what reviewers are saying. I can remember the original being panned by a few and I really loved it.
  • Metalfish 11 Nov 2012 10:45:15 8,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's so much good stuff I haven't played yet, (XCOM, dishonored) that unless this is as good or better than blood money, I'm not going to buy it. I don't think it'll be a bad game necessarily, but for once, I want more of the same in a sequel and I'll have to be convinced they haven't turned it into something worse.
  • Rusty_M 11 Nov 2012 11:35:05 4,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm surprised by the comments about performance on PC. I pre-purchased, and have been playing the sniper challenge. Performance was fine for me, although you're far from the crowd. Perhaps things chug more in closer quarters.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Zizoo 12 Nov 2012 10:37:55 7,713 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So nervous that this will turn out badly after all... It's my most anticipated game of the year, but since I'm broke, I can use that and "waiting for reviews" as an excuse to not get it next week.

/will get it anyway
  • Whizzo 12 Nov 2012 11:53:42 42,767 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Considering Nixxes did the PC port and the sniper challenge runs fine on my ageing PC (obviously it's a different set up but it's the same engine) I'm not particular worried about performance.

The 360 demo at the Expo was fun so I'm looking forward to it.

And I'm not saying that just because I'm being watched...

This space left intentionally blank.

• Zizoo 12 Nov 2012 11:55:55 7,713 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :-)
  • Zizoo 13 Nov 2012 11:49:20 7,713 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That sounds... odd:

Garudin posted...

Also does anyone else know if any of the other reviews mention that lots of your kills are through cutscenes?

These guys might be right but I would find it weird if they are the only ones bringing this up as this would be a HUGE change for the Hitman series

And not necessarily a good change, either. Much of the fun is stalking your targets and planning out how you're going to kill them and escape... not figuring out how to open a door and trigger a cutscene. If PC Gamer is telling the truth, then even Dishonored was a better Hitman game than Absolution will be.
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Nov 2012 16:56:15 12,253 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Franchise in need of a reboot by the sounds of things.

Ditch the whole genetically engineered comic book bollocks, ditch any over-arching narrative; make 47 a grey man in a suit who kills people for money, and have each assassination tell its own story (they already do this to quite a large extent in the old games).

Make it a puzzle game. Put the player in a massive open level and have them figure out a plan of attack. Sort the combat out - give it some sort of cover system, and make the weapons feel heavy and fun to use. That way each level will consist of lots of quiet sussing stuff out, interspersed with appalling hyper violence. Or if the player chooses he can go all guns blazing, in which case it'll pan out like a realistic Hotline Miami (and it'll actually be fun, unlike in the old games).

...I can dream
  • Rusty_M 13 Nov 2012 17:48:51 4,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is starting to get worrying. Why did I break my "don't pre-purchase things, you knob" guideline for this?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• bad09 14 Nov 2012 01:57:26 5,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:

- Focus on (embarrassingly bad) story over gameplay
    - PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute
    - A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene
    - The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money
    - Equipment system - can't choose weapons in main missions, or carry weapons over between missions
    - Guard AI is strange, they will sometimes detect you walking where commando rolling wouldn't get you detected
    - "Sneak by covering your face" idea is laughable
    - DRM on Contracts mode - can't play any contracts, even your own, offline
    Hmmmmm, all of that is pretty damning. I actually have this on pre-order as it's been bought as a birthday present but I might cancel and buy something else. The DRM is bad enough but the lack of control over how you execute targets and the poor performance is terrible news.

One for the bargain bin from the sounds of it, another victim of the modern games industry....
  • bobdebob 14 Nov 2012 03:03:32 520 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    zisssou wrote:
    I honestly couldn't care less what reviewers are saying. I can remember the original being panned by a few and I really loved it.
    You mean Codename:47? Cos that actually was crap.
  • BOBBYLUPO 15 Nov 2012 14:11:17 80 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone know when the review embargo lifts? Just found out it's out on Tues and my order appears to be processing.

Nearest thing I could find is this amusing Conan O'Brien video (Minor campaign spoilers contained):

PSN: BOBBYLUPO
    www.idbuythatforadollar.co.uk

• Ultrasoundwave 15 Nov 2012 15:24:24 3,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Conans reviews are brilliant - looking at the footage there at least, i think it looks excellent : classic hitman with a fancy new engine.

Not cancelling my pre-order anyway.....

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Ultrasoundwave 16 Nov 2012 10:11:42 3,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Speaking of pre-orders, my Shopto copy switched to processing last night. Whats the odds of it shipping today??

"Look at banner Michael!"

• andywilkie35 16 Nov 2012 10:15:48 5,338 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

Depends mate - apart from Black Ops II, any game that releases on a Tuesday usually arrives in the post on Saturday...

Not trying to get your hopes up of course but happened a few times this year. Mine is also processing :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• WoodenSpoon 16 Nov 2012 17:35:52 12,253 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have we seen the bit where he kills someone in a Mexican Wrestling QTE yet?

Click if you dare.

Edited by WoodenSpoon at 17:37:25 16-11-2012
  • SlackMaster 16 Nov 2012 17:46:28 3,132 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    doctor_fraud wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    I thought Max Payne 3 was easily the best third person shooter I've played so I'll take his opinion with a pinch of salt.

I really want this Hitman to be good but I'm not convinced IO have it in them after the woeful K&L games.
    Max Payne 3 was really a great game. I don't understand the hate it gets. Yeah the story is non existent, level design isn't as good as the previous MP games and unskippable cutscenes but it had lovely graphics and the best gunplay i've played in a game ever.

As for Hitman games I enjoyed Blood Money but I have a feeling Hitman absoltion is going to be shit.
    I also really enjoyed Max Payne 3 even though it got luke warm reviews. I like the concept of the Hitman games and remember completing the original pc game and Silent Assassin but I lost interest in pretty quickly in the titles that followed those games.

Looking at the demo, it reminded me of Deux Ex: Human Revolution. I'm not sure if they used the same engine but many of the machanics like how you hide and take cover seemed very similar expect from a 3rd person view.

I know if it turns out that way there will be a lot of Hitman purists who will not be happy but I'd quite like that change tbh.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• King_Edward 16 Nov 2012 18:07:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:

Click if you dare.
    So close to brilliant, and yet so awful.
  • oldschoolsoviet 16 Nov 2012 18:14:47 5,415 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's going to be enjoyable (I think), but it's not going to be Hitman.

Another franchise down the pan. Christ.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 16 Nov 2012 18:19:13 12,734 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, pity. When are reviews out on normal sites?
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 18:24:43
    WoodenSpoon wrote:

Click if you dare.
    Oh Dear! Probably made a lot worse the inane narration of the person playing it.
    Never thought I'd see QTE's in a hitman, and the earlier statement about killing through cutscenes rings true now.

I'm sure they wanted to change up the formula a little bit but this seems fairly drastic.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 16 Nov 2012 18:28:07 12,734 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:

Click if you dare.
    Oh Dear! Probably made a lot worse the inane narration of the person playing it.
    Never thought I'd see QTE's in a hitman, and the earlier statement about killing through cutscenes rings true now.

I'm sure they wanted to change up the formula a little bit but this seems fairly drastic.
    Awful! It looks crap
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 18:36:47
    @BravoGolf Think most of the reviews are out on Sunday.
  • beastmaster 16 Nov 2012 18:55:33 10,184 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a picture of my copy from ShopTo. Should arrive Monday.

Edit: I have never played a Hitman game.

Edited by beastmaster at 18:56:19 16-11-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 43 First / Last