Tactics Ogre Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• michaelius 8 Apr 2011 13:38:36 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    Dear lord this game is complicated (but rewarding) I absolutely hate however that their is no equipment compare option in the store I am sick of rolling back three fucking menus to check if the stuff I am buying is better than my current equipment.

You can filter weapons in store to just show that category and then compare it with what you have now. BTW - you don't want to change weapons to diffrent category it's better to specialize each character in certain type of weapon like Hammers for example since the skill that grants bonuses to weapons levels up in ranks as you use it.
  • samk 8 Apr 2011 13:41:40 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    Dear lord this game is complicated (but rewarding) I absolutely hate however that their is no equipment compare option in the store I am sick of rolling back three fucking menus to check if the stuff I am buying is better than my current equipment.

Indeed, and also with crafting too. I'm having to go to the shop, make a mental note of a few of the more important stats for the non-upgraded gear, then go back to the crafting area to see what the stats for the upgraded version would be. That FAQ I found should be helpful in this instance as the stats can be seen side-by-side.
  • Huntcjna 8 Apr 2011 13:43:58 13,870 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    michaelius wrote:
    Huntcjna wrote:

You can filter weapons in store to just show that category and then compare it with what you have now. BTW - you don't want to change weapons to diffrent category it's better to specialize each character in certain type of weapon like Hammers for example since the skill that grants bonuses to weapons levels up in ranks as you use it.

I didn't realise I could do that I have flicked across to say swords only in the weapons tab but still can't see the stats for what I have when purchasing. :/
  • michaelius 8 Apr 2011 15:16:05 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    michaelius wrote:
    Huntcjna wrote:

I didn't realise I could do that I have flicked across to say swords only in the weapons tab but still can't see the stats for what I have when purchasing. :/

Well but you know what you have equipped so you can just compare those two items in shop.

Altrough so far higher lvl required = better worked 90% of time ;)
  • michaelius 11 Apr 2011 08:39:48 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doh I'm now stuck in middle of 10 hour long Phoronpa Woods session since i just had 3 guest characters in classes I never used before join me and all of them reverted to lvl 3-4 :(

I think I'll have something like 2k skill points in 4 best characters i use in those fights to kill enemies ;)
  • Deleted user 11 April 2011 09:27:51
    I took the top route in Phorampa Woods and ran into a gang of dragons I couldn't even make a dent in.

Is there a reason why the reptile I recently recruited has awful accuracy? At first he seemed pretty good, but in the last few battles he's not been hitting particularly hard, and his accuracy averages about 40%. He's a warrior (my highest level class) and fist fighter.
  • michaelius 11 Apr 2011 10:01:47 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Top is harder - the one on the right is lot easier and more time efficient since exp is virtually the same.

@Cid- does he have highest level weapon and all skills increasing accuracy as well as armor with bonuses that increase attack ? If yes then sadly it's a case of sucky basic statline.

Altrough I now have simialar case with whole Rune Fencer class - i got 3 of them at lvl 16 with spears and spear skill at lvl 2 plus anatomy plus strengten and they do 17-18 pts of damage to enemies at similar levels. Technically they should make up for it with magic but magic is again strugling to do more than 20 pts.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2011 11:11:46
    He has the best weapon available at the shop. I can craft stronger ones but I don't have the materials.

My Terror Knight is awful as well. The class is lagging a couple of levels behind, but it doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as my other physical units.
  • Deleted user 11 April 2011 16:45:47
    It can make quite a difference when a class is a couple of levels behind. Ninja's ninjitsu for example only does 1 point damage when it's behind.
    I guess collecting a few tarot cards on the battlefield might help boosting your character's stats.
    It's a shame that the game puts players off from using new classes with this system, because some of them can be awesome when levelled up and makes the game much more interesting.
    Otherwise it can get very repetitive. The game can be a bit mindless if you just use archers and finishing moves, but then if that's the best strategy you feel like it's pointless using anything else and almost makes the new classes redundant.
    But it's more fun using them... but only when levelled up...

It is a great game, but I think it is flawed in many ways
  • samk 12 Apr 2011 11:44:12 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cid wrote:My Terror Knight is awful as well. The class is lagging a couple of levels behind, but it doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as my other physical units.

Stick with it and continue to level up your Terror Knight. I had to shield mine from the front lines for quite a while but he's now levelled the same as Denam and is now second only to my Beserker in dishing out melee damage. He's still a bit squishy though - Terror Knights are basically glass cannons, with access to some nice debuffing spells too.
  • samk 12 Apr 2011 11:58:18 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Porco wrote:It is a great game, but I think it is flawed in many ways

Yeah I'd agree with this. I'm now partway through chapter 4 and about 40 hours in, and there are some things that are progressing from minor irritants to bugbears.

One is (correct me if I'm wrong here) not being able to see the makeup of the enemy roster when choosing which characters to take. It's very annoying starting a side quest dungeon only to find the enemies are a few levels higher than even my highest level characters, or triggering a random battle only to find the enemy roster is entirely undead and I've only brought 1 character with Exorcism. In those instances I end up just restarting my PSP.

Also Petrify seems massively overpowered (apparently it was even moreso in the original TO?) Wait until you come up against an enemy spellcaster with area effect Petrify, with about a 75%+ chance to Petrify each character. Instant ragequit.

Still a great game, but there are some balancing issues that grate as time goes on.
  • michaelius 12 Apr 2011 12:20:27 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there any hope for magic classes like Wizards to become better ?

Sadly i hardly find any serious reason to use them instead of my archer trio.
    And well clerics all feel kinda pointless so far apart from exorcism spamming in undead fights.

I'd also say Knight/White Knight classes are some of the worst offenders on balance - they fight as well as dedicated fighters, have a lot of defense and get to cast healing spells.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2011 12:29:34
    @samk
    Yeah, petrify is way too powerful.
    I love the PSP, but I kind of wish this was a PC game like Civ where the dev could release patches/expansions to iron out problems.

@michaelius
    Wizards are great for incapacitating more powerful enemies with petrify/sleep/stun etc.
    Knights/White Knights are too powerful I agree, especially knights with phalanx, as are archers of course
  • samk 12 Apr 2011 12:33:35 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    michaelius wrote:
    Is there any hope for magic classes like Wizards to become better ?

I take a Wizard/Enchantress into every single battle (along with an Archer, or two if a full roster is allowed). My Archers do minimal damage to some classes (particularly monsters like Dragons) yet the Wizard still does plenty. Also the offensive area effect spells can of course damage multiple enemies per turn unlike Archers.

The one class that I'm struggling to find a use for atm is Ninja. My Ninja is only one level below Denam, yet doesn't do much damage, gets killed easily and the Ninjitsu only does 1 damage. Not sure what I'm missing. :( Has anyone got an effective Ninja yet?
  • Deleted user 12 April 2011 12:43:13
    Ninjas can do massive damage with double attack, but they need to be levelled up to your top level. Especially for Ninjitsu.

I hardly use them because they keep dying too early in battles.
  • michaelius 13 Apr 2011 20:00:30 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I found one more great class
    Dragoon - it gets access to special beast and dragon slaying skills and those are great help to quickly kill those pesky monsters - damage goes from 25 on normal hit to 150-170 after skill use (40/50TP) against grif/dragon 1 lvl higher than me.
  • samk 14 Apr 2011 11:14:51 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent, I've been continually tormented in loads of battles by those sodding flying beasts getting behind my front lines and butchering my back lines. Are Dragoons good against all monsters, or specifically just dragons? I've only just got a Dragoon classmark. He's only level 3 atm so nowhere near high enough to be put on the front lines against level 18+ enemies, so unsure as to exactly which monsters he'll be good against.

Currently in chapter 4 and getting access to the side quest with loads of undead enemies. Advice: don't sell any Baldur gear, and in fact try to craft some Baldur + 1 weapons, cos it absolutely slays the undead. I've got a few Baldur +1 bows and my archers are slaying undead faster than my healers can cast Exorcism.

Actually, some general advice for people just starting TO is when you start finding you have old obsolete weapons and armour, always keep 1 of each type because any new classes you try to level up in the future cannot use gear beyond their own class level.
  • michaelius 14 Apr 2011 12:20:27 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I changed Denam into Dragoon since he was warrior

He so far (lvl 14) has acess to 4 skills
    1 that increases damage to beasts on next strike and guaranties critical for 40 TP - that one is dealing massive damage
    1 like above but working on dragons
    1 AOE buff that increases damage of everyone inside against beasts
    1 AOE against dragons

I haven't checked those AOE ones yet.

For comparison Denam lvl 14 with 2 handed Bastard Sword against lvl 15 dragon 25 dmg
    Knight Voltaire (from initial bunch of recruits) lvl 18 with War Maul 50 dmg against same dragon
    Denam using special skill 150+ dmg so he kills such beast in two rounds without support (if you have TP)

Against other targets he deals damage like normal Warrior.
  • samk 14 Apr 2011 12:51:45 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    michaelius wrote:Denam using special skill 150+ dmg

:o

Crikey. Sounds like the increase in damage is even more pronounced than giving someone a Baldur weapon against the undead.

Thanks for the info.
  • Grump 14 Apr 2011 13:01:43 1,180 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you guys rush straight to the target or do you take time to kill all the other enemies first?

I'm finding it's getting more difficult now to do the latter. Doesn't help that a few of my best characters are now down to their last life meaning that there's no way I can let them die (blessing stones cost a fortune). As soon as one goes down I head straight towards the target.
  • samk 14 Apr 2011 13:29:55 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Depends on the terrain - I head to the high ground if at all possible, even if it's just one or two steps up. Generally though I'll be on the defensive, let enemies come to me to I can get the first hits in, and kill the underlings first.

Killing the target early doors misses out on goodies otherwise earnt if all his underlings are killed first. If it's looking like the situation will soon be grim, I'll use any finishing moves on the target to weaken him, giving the option of then taking him out if I need to end the battle pronto.

As for blessing stones, don't use them unless the character's death counter is 1 or you can guarantee the the character won't be immediately killed again, otherwise it's just 2000 credits down the drain. The AI always picks on the weakest character it can, so you're generally better off using your turns to kill off nearby enemies rather than continually trying to resurrect your guys with blessing stones.
  • michaelius 14 Apr 2011 13:30:35 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nah AI is quite stupid and attacks from the start so I prefer to spend first turn spreading to the sides and consuming herbs to increase MP. Then I slowly remove first wave of attackers and methodically advance while the flying guy goes into zone of enemy support character to use finishing blow to kill a healer/archer asap.

Only if situation get's tough or i'm overpowered by opposition (happened quite a lot in chapter 2 and early 3) I go straight for kill as I like to maximize loot.

Also since blessing stones aren't exactly cheap i typically wait till laying guy has only 1 turn left and only revive him if i can't finish battle before he would die.

Also my dream team for missions:

Denam as Warrior/Dragoon
    Berserker/Swordmaster (glass cannon slot) - high damage guy with limited defense
    Unique Flying guy - axe+bow he can support fighters initialy and then easily go against enemy casters/glass canons/archers - his mobility saves a ton of time
    2 Knights - tanks and good fighters with healing potential
    2 Rune Fencers with divine magic - secondary fighters with offensive and healing spells currently replaced by 2 White Knights
    1-2 Archers
    1-4 support characters - Wizards/Clearics/another archer if i feel evil :)
  • Tuffty 17 Apr 2011 18:10:01 1,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok this is pretty awesome.

Minor Chapter 2 spoilers:
    I'm attempted the mission at Qadriga Fortress where you have to kill the pirates but at the same time, try to save the wizard from dying. Well I failed first time round, wizard died but I was able to carry on and finally won. I tried the same mission this morning, cause I wanted to see if I could recruit the wizard into my party. This time I never bothered trying to maximise loot and went straight after the pirate leader for the kill, and I was successful. And because the wizard lived, he then played a part in the following story cutscene and as a result, has now opened a completely new story path for me to pursue and an entirely new route to go on.

And not only that, but looking at the Talk section under the Warren Report has opened up an optional dungeon for me to explore.
  • Tuffty 1 May 2011 18:12:04 1,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See now this is one thing I just cannot understand about the game right now and maybe someone can point it out to me. Again, Chapter 2 story spoilers

Why is it that certain story events, as told in cutscenes are just completely omitted? I was wondering what happened to Dame Ravness after getting shot by Vyce, but after looking in the Wheel of Fortune I see a cutscene there which you can watch where she dies after talking with Denam, yet it was never showed during my playthrough. And this happened again after learning of Heirophant Balbatos execution. Mentioned he was put to trial in the story, but looking again in the Wheel of Fortune, and there's a cutscene there that was never shown. Are these meant to be optional? They seem like fairly significant events in the story to me.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2011 22:57:45
    Yeah, I don't understand that either. They did the same with some of the scenes in FFT too.
  • Rajin 3 May 2011 19:15:45 580 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    samk wrote:
    Porco wrote:It is a great game, but I think it is flawed in many ways

Yeah I'd agree with this. I'm now partway through chapter 4 and about 40 hours in, and there are some things that are progressing from minor irritants to bugbears.

One is (correct me if I'm wrong here) not being able to see the makeup of the enemy roster when choosing which characters to take. It's very annoying starting a side quest dungeon only to find the enemies are a few levels higher than even my highest level characters, or triggering a random battle only to find the enemy roster is entirely undead and I've only brought 1 character with Exorcism. In those instances I end up just restarting my PSP.

Also Petrify seems massively overpowered (apparently it was even moreso in the original TO?) Wait until you come up against an enemy spellcaster with area effect Petrify, with about a 75%+ chance to Petrify each character. Instant ragequit.

Still a great game, but there are some balancing issues that grate as time goes on.

I hated petrify as well, simple solution is having either a cleric behind or Stone-resistance, makes the probability that you''ll turn into stone around 20%

and like someone said, Archers are way to strong, even worse if you use Canopu as archers(since they can fly up to any height) I did use them at some battle, but i relied more upon my ninja, white knights and First Commander.

My ninja is by far my strongest there is( The female from Chapter 1 at Balmasca, at the law route with quit some tarot cards made sure of that)

I love the fact that a ninja can move extremely far compared to other classes(comes in handy in almost any battle) I love clerics as well, simply because they can heal well(with mother's blessing) And remove any status effects. Boon of Swiftness is extremely strong as well!
  • michaelius 3 May 2011 22:37:46 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I steamrolled deeply into 50 hours of gameplay while using clerics only marginally ;)

So far the only status worth removing was petrify and white knights can learn awaken stone too.

So i guess it means classes are quite diverse and mostly balanced to allow us such diversity in using them and still performing great.
  • samk 4 May 2011 10:43:05 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I've gone the White Knight route for dealing with petrify too, rather than using up a bunch of skill slots with Resist Stone. I bring along two White Knights to the tougher battles; loads of health plus access to heal and awaken stone spells. Very useful.

I think I'm about 50-odd hours into it now too. Must be getting to the end of the story battles, though I've still got most of the side quests to do.

I always take a Cleric and on the first turn use an item to give 75 or 100 MP. She can then spend several turns doing Boon of Swiftness buffs to various characters before inevitably needing to turn her attentions to healing duties.

Recently recruited Sherri and she's awesome as a Witch class. Spells like Sleep and Charm have a very high percentage chance of success with her, so any beasts that come within range have a nice kip or get charmed and attack their own backlines for a few turns.
  • michaelius 4 May 2011 11:31:08 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @samk
    Do you have any other out of 4 sisters ? I have 3 other in my team and Sherri is 6 feet under sadly

• samk 4 May 2011 12:30:03 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @michaelius
    Yeah I've got all 4 of the sisters. Looking just now at the gamefaqs guide for recruiting Sherri, it appears I was lucky as I just happened to follow the entire required sequence of events without even knowing about it.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last