Fight Night Champion

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 20 Jul 2010 09:38:37 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From the front page:

EA has de-robed a new boxing game called Fight Night Champion, due for release on PS3 and Xbox 360 sometime in 2011.

As the name suggests, the focus is on career mode and building a fighter from zero to hero. And while Fight Night has done well in this area on the past, Champion promises to "break the mould of what is expected in a single-player sports game", EA Vancouver told IGN.

"It's something people won't expect from an EA Sports game," producer Brian Hayes added. "Our lips are sealed for the time-being about that."

A new Full Spectrum Punch Control system will be both the most realistic and most user friendly system the series has ever produced, according to EA.

There are reckoned to be between 60 to 65 boxers on the game disc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea-reveals-fight-night-champion
  • heyyo 20 Jul 2010 09:40:08 14,374 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EA de-robed the Fight Night Champion?

oh my..
  • buggrit 20 Jul 2010 09:40:28 5,178 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loved Round 3 and 4. Will buy this.
  • smoothpete 20 Jul 2010 09:41:14 31,335 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After having played so much Round 3, I just couldn't get my head around the tweaked controls in Round 4. I wanted to love it but my thumbs kept misbehaving. Hopefully I'll be able to play this properly... stupid thumbs
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Jul 2010 09:43:16 25,419 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Round 3 was excellent, but thought Round 4 was a bit pants. They changed it so it became a really quick punch-a-thon, rather than the quite considered boxing game Round 3 was.
  • heyyo 20 Jul 2010 09:45:19 14,374 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played 4 for the first time on the weekend (previously only played the demo of 3) against a friend who plays the games more than Pro Evo, i.e., a lot...

He winded me and I was too busy figuring out how to stand up, but the time I got what you had to do I 'died'. Next match, I knocked him flat with a haymaker (although I was Lennox and he was 2 classes below) - definitely easy games to get in to :)
  • y2rich 20 Jul 2010 09:52:24 1,390 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought 3 was fantastic and after you got over the shinyness, 4 was awful. Be interesting to see what this new punching system does.
  • Rauha 20 Jul 2010 09:58:42 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Suprised at the hate for round 4, I thought it was terrific. The total punch controls were hugely improved and it was an all round better game.
    Ah well, round 3 was also great.
  • smoothpete 20 Jul 2010 10:04:01 31,335 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they diluted the total punch control in 4, they made it messy. In 3, the movement you made with the stick was what the fist then did, with the left trigger as the low punch modifier. It made sense. In 4 they dicked around with it too much. I'd try for hooks to the head and end up hooking to the body without meaning to
  • andywilkie35 20 Jul 2010 10:07:22 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really enjoyed 3 and 4 - if I had to choose I'd say 3 was better. Either way, day one purchase this shall be.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Jim_Lahey 20 Jul 2010 10:17:05 11 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They really need to test the fuck out of this one. Both fight night round 3 and 4 have been marred online due to the same old exploits(and some new ones). Will EA kill spinning for good this time?
  • Deckard1 13 Nov 2010 17:54:13 27,182 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Debut Trailer

\o/ I'll have some of that
  • Deckard1 13 Nov 2010 18:03:59 27,182 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually reading the preview on IGN its sounds like they've idiot proofed the controls even more than the last one. FFS they were perfect in 3, why's everything got to be dumbed down for the masses.
  • Rauha 13 Nov 2010 23:31:16 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bare nuckle fight, prison fights :o
  • LionheartDJH 14 Nov 2010 00:10:08 19,359 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds really interesting actually, will be keeping an eye out for more details on it. I'm not a big boxing fan, but I love Round 4, bought it on a whim and certainly wasn't disappointed. Haven't played Round 3 myself, so don't quite understand why a lot of people prefer it and don't like Round 4, but as I said really quite liked it myself, spent about 20 hours getting to GOAT level in the legacy mode! This story mode business sounds like a departure from the usual sports game career modes though, so will definitely interested to hear more about it in the future.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Deckard1 14 Nov 2010 16:28:00 27,182 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While I still really liked 4, there's something about the feel of 3 that was just better imo. In 3 I felt like I could pick exactly what punch I wanted at anytime, where 4 felt a bit less accurate with punch selection. They should have kept body punching as a modifier. That and the punches felt like they had more meat in them in 3. Still, I loved 4 and canít wait for the new one.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 19 Nov 2010 20:01:03 9,722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll copy and paste UntilTheNextRound72's post from his thread that was locked:

-Separation tactics: The Pushing mechanic is back in the game for those who wish to create distance or to put their opponents in the ropes or corner. A new and well received feature now is the ability to use the shoulder for separation during in fighting moments. The motion is spot on and creates just enough distance or a user to move out of harms way or to set up a power short shot for the momentum swing.

-Illegal Blows: The intentional headbutt and low blow are back in the game. Tools that were used often as cheat tactics to avoid being knocked out or getting an advantage to KD someone again are in the system and placed on the directional pad. It was a bother at times when fighting and accidentally hitting my opponent in the family jewels occurring. A suggestion is to use the power modifier button in combination with the directional pad to let the fouls occur thus making it less likely to accidentally cause the fouls or in other instances known that you are really making an effort to cause the foul as well on purpose (shame on you). Offender can be hurt and victim can get an adrenaline boost.

-Footwork: Seems to be improved in the game. I didn't see moments where I can skip around the ring like Ali but the heel to toe mechanic was there and looked as if an actual step was being taking around the ring instead of the appearance of the boxers sliding across the mat without lifting their feet. The speed needs to be tweaked a lil in regards to the moments when against the rope and in the corner if you wanted to get out of the area. From distances the flow around the ring is at a speedy pace, however when close up it is a slow grind which can appear to be the "sucked in the sandtrap" moment from Round 4.

Reflexive Blocking-One button block control is now an option. The user can now try to use the analog stick along with the block trigger to stop the punch from landing. Or just hold the trigger button down and get your Winky Wright and Joshua Clottey on (no I am not confirming Clottey is in the game...what do you think I am some writer from a British gaming magazine with a woody for David Haye (who I am not confirming nor denying in the game) and by the way folks, yes you can punch from the guard. But, remember that Edison Miranda vs Arthur Abraham fight? Yeah, keep thinking that guard is gonna block everything buddy. Depending on the reflex ability of the boxer you choose (or build) don't think you can go to town on the reflex one touch system. However, I noticed during a bout that Terminald held C45H to 14% connect rating. Lmao...sounds like Mayweather vs Marquez results.

Stamina- Is now based on not only endurance but also Conditioning. Arms and Torso now have stamina. So, for all you 100 jab throws per round and 200 punches a minute spambots...enjoy yourselves! Ohh, you spinners too...I did say torso right? Your legs too I believe for you non conditioned runners.

Automatic Recovery- Well, you won't have the benefits of moving a stick back and forth to either: A) Rub Enswell for swelling or B) rub a Q-Tip in a cut (Brizzo said it folks not me) in Round 3. You also won't get the chance to save all your points from in round achievements and then spend them all in the 6th round to max your stamina or health back to how you walked in the ring like in Round 4. Now, the way you perform during rounds matter. You still wanna throw 1000 punches in the round go for it, but don't expect your corner to perform a miracle and get you back all your stamina. You don't wanna defend your face and keep letting your opponent fire away on that nasty cut than your corner won't really be able to help keep the damage down if you don't give the medicine time to clot the bleeding.

-Legacy Mode: Is back and appears to introduce money (ohhh yes folks time to get paid), a more detailed amateur tourney (better in appearance and presentation than last year with the introduction of the the actual point system seen in the amateurs) and training camp invites. You can choose to start the legacy of your own or recreate (not exactly of course) a current licensed fighter legacy.

I didn't get the chance to play through it long. I went through the amateur tournament (awarded the American shorts and gloves....yeaaaaah....sarcasm folks). You can now earn money which gets you access to work on certain attributes such as chin, stamina, speed etc... Depending on the gym you go and work out in. It was reconfirmed based on reports from my fellow Mod C45H, you are now able to travel around the world and attend training camps to help build your fighter for a price of course thru various mini games (10 total believe). However, if not cautious you can over train and go into your match at a low percent of stamina. Belts are in the weight divisions (three) and hopefully they fixed the problem where if you didn't defend one belt you lose all three. A special achievement if you finish your career as the G.O.A.T. Hmmm? Progression goes up the same later, with the chance to interact with you training schedule to get popular with the fans..

The mode doesn't feel as wash, rinse, dry repeat as it did last year but the addition of the training camps and the new XP Point system will keep users on the mode longer than before to hopefully make their dream boxer.

-----signature-----
    They gotta name for the WINNERS in the world. I want a name when I LOSE. They call Alabama the "Crimson Tide". Call me Deacon Blues!!!
  • UntilTheNextRound72 20 Nov 2010 19:50:59 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thank you supercooleskimo.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to send me questions on here and I will try to answer them. I was doing the same thing at the EA Forums where I am a moderator, so feel free to go there or just ask me here and i will do my best to reply and answer promptly.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Nov 2010 20:04:48 9,722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One thing that annoyed me about the Legacy mode on FNR4 was the fact that my boxer's stats never improved after a win, and the only way to improve the stats was to do the training challenges which I didn't really like.

Has this been addressed in Champion?
  • AaronTurner 20 Nov 2010 20:09:32 7,594 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How do you get a signature at the end of your post?
  • Deleted user 20 November 2010 20:24:07
    Did you dislike anything about the game?
  • UntilTheNextRound72 21 Nov 2010 19:52:42 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    One thing that annoyed me about the Legacy mode on FNR4 was the fact that my boxer's stats never improved after a win, and the only way to improve the stats was to do the training challenges which I didn't really like.

Has this been addressed in Champion?

The training game is much improved particularly in regards to the gain and loss of attributes points per category. What I hated the most with Round 4 is that unless you got "Champion" points your didn't gain anything and lost a tremendous amount. Now, you can still gain a good amount of points and not loss and arm and a leg now in other categories.

I understand your thoughts in regards to adding points to attributes after a match, but how would you distinguish adding gaining points for heart or chin etc?
  • UntilTheNextRound72 21 Nov 2010 19:53:29 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    How do you get a signature at the end of your post?

It's the one from my other forums.
  • morriss 21 Nov 2010 20:41:26 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KILLA wrote:
  • UntilTheNextRound72 21 Nov 2010 20:56:35 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    KILLA wrote:

-Missing some boxers (but you can't blame EA for that one). But there are new editions

-Referee doesn't interact in real time...only cutscenes.

-amateur part of Legacy isn't as deep as I wanted

-footwork was off, but the devs said they were going to work on it....however, no cotto bicycle. Hopefully, those who fight on their toes and bounce around will have that.

-presentation problems for certain things

-clinching could be better in regards to different types. Also, not fighting in the clinch like we (community members for Fight Night) were asking for.

• ginge51 22 Nov 2010 01:02:25 26 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    y2rich wrote:
    I thought 3 was fantastic and after you got over the shinyness, 4 was awful. Be interesting to see what this new punching system does.

How is 4 awful?
  • ginge51 22 Nov 2010 01:03:46 26 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Actually reading the preview on IGN its sounds like they've idiot proofed the controls even more than the last one. FFS they were perfect in 3, why's everything got to be dumbed down for the masses.
    No, now with the newer control then 'button mashing.
    It now actually makes you work for a change instead of pressing a single button.
  • UntilTheNextRound72 22 Nov 2010 18:21:11 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scotty269 wrote:
    Theres lots i disliked about round 4. The fact punches dont feel as tho there making an impact, doing haymakers is useless as you can see them comming a mile off and get out of the way, the god awful american commentators, the way fighters almost always fall down the same way and the one where they bounce of the ropes looks stupid, the pace is to slow feels like your stuck in jam, theres lots more i didnt like but seeing as im a true boxing fan ill check out the new game.

I understand your dislikes. So, I'll give my thoughts on each

-Haymakers are removed. Now, with the new power modifier you Csn mix in fluid combos and sneaks a power shot in between if you want. You can see the different animation with a power shot and see it's effects. (I had a one ounce KO off a counter with one)

-I would like different commentators for different venues especially those not in the state. But, who knows what the cost would be to fly in different teams for commentary. Plus, since ESPN is in the FN Series so, to get a FNF feel Tessitore and Atlas are there. The commentary sounded much different this year. Nothing sounded like a repeat when I was listening.

-the knockdown animations are different and improved. The off the rope animation was removed from FNC so you won't have to worry about seeing it or having it happen to you.

-We expressed to the team that footwork should be faster and less sluggish especially when close up and trying to get out of the corners or off the ropes.

As a true boxing fan, you should be pleased with the changes and improvements.
  • UntilTheNextRound72 22 Nov 2010 18:22:28 18 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ginge51 wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    No, now with the newer control then 'button mashing.
    It now actually makes you work for a change instead of pressing a single button.

You can still use the buttons. But stamina effects the arms, torso and legs this time around.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous