Your favourite gaming era. Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• hypoBla5t 4 Jul 2010 22:24:10 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This one? The ideas and technology in modern gaming destroy almost everything that has come before. The rest is just nostalgia.
  • Obiwanshinobi 4 Jul 2010 22:34:02 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    The ideas and technology in modern gaming destroy almost everything that has come before.
    What ideas? Was there a single game this gen as impactful as GTAIII? Serious question. As for the technology, 30 fps mediocrity can fuck off (Burnout Paradise is the only console game I saw this gen coming close to my idea of high-tech standard).
    P.S. I'm not just pulling your leg; I'm really curious what you are talking about. Like, where are those ideas and technology.
  • Rufus 4 Jul 2010 22:42:31 1,754 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably PS1/Saturn/N64 era (though my judgement is probably clouded from playing PS1 games all afternoon). Getting the Playstation with Tekken and Wipeout and experiencing the leap to 3D (with CD quality sound) just completely blew me away.

Then Ocarina of Time happened and I spontaneously combusted.
  • griff_dai 4 Jul 2010 22:49:35 409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rufus wrote:
    Probably PS1/Saturn/N64 era (though my judgement is probably clouded from playing PS1 games all afternoon). Getting the Playstation with Tekken and Wipeout and experiencing the leap to 3D (with CD quality sound) just completely blew me away.

Then Ocarina of Time happened and I spontaneously combusted.

Yeah Ocarina of Time was mind blowing!
  • chasejamie 4 Jul 2010 22:51:05 812 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dreamcast through to early 360. So much happened throughout that period thanks to the internet. Arcade perfect games, great multiplayer games, everything seemed really exciting. All taken for granted now.
  • Raiko101 4 Jul 2010 23:20:37 6,051 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For me it was the beginning of the PS1 era. There were so many exciting and odd games out there. Admittedly some of it was rubbish, but the games of the early years stick out best for me. Destruction Derby, Tomb Raider, GTA, Cool Boarders, Command & Conquer, Oddworld, Parappa the Rapper, Point Blank, Breath of Fire III, Resident Evil, Worms, Reloaded, etc...

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• GuiltySpark 4 Jul 2010 23:30:17 6,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The transition from SNES to PS1 is my favourite gaming memory. Being only 19 now, I had a SNES but wasn't too bothered about PS1, when my parents randomly got me one for Christmas one year with Tekken 3 it was amazing. Best Christmas ever : )

S'all downhill from there.

Get bent.

• JoeGBallad 4 Jul 2010 23:38:15 383 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's so nice seeing people stand up for the ps1-era look. I'm still a firm believer that 3d PS1 games can look amazing, even today. Ridge Racer and Revolution spring to mind: colourful, fast, full of textures and distractions, and resolutely, unashamedly 'videogamey'.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• GuiltySpark 4 Jul 2010 23:41:40 6,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest, I think they look shit now. But in my eyes it's the biggest leap we've had in gaming for quite a while, PS1 to PS2 to PS3 are minor increments in comparison.

Get bent.

• bad09 4 Jul 2010 23:55:59 5,623 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amiga is always my best era but I do love the PS1 era almost as much, I had so much fun gaming then.

Playing RR and WipEout in Ministry of Sound.
    Mates piling round my flat to get out of it and play games all night (or even just sit there watching me play Resi with the right smokes).
    Drunkenly playing Die Hard Trilogy from the cover of behind the sofa.
    A mate nicking my PS and playing my new Tekken before me as I was in Crewe, then ringing me to tel me it was wicked.
    Spending an afternoon unlocking the Tekken characters, a mate who doesn't game beamed with pride as he got Heihachi.

/ wipes old crusty tear of misspent but fun youth

The games to were awesome. So many, too many to list I'm not even gonna try. Good times......
  • Deleted user 5 July 2010 01:17:29
    Snes era.
  • convercide 5 Jul 2010 01:19:23 5,908 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mega Drive era.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• DFawkes 5 Jul 2010 01:20:20 22,583 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd have to go for the SNES/Megadrive era. I'm still playing more games from that gen than any other, plus that was when 3D games were new. I still remember my first go on Starwing, it blew my mind. Or even parallax scrolling. I still like a nice bit of parallax scrolling.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• coda 5 Jul 2010 01:25:20 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dreamcast-Xbox era.
  • mal 5 Jul 2010 01:25:24 22,332 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Home computer (8-bit) era for me. Granted, it was the era I started videogaming in, but for me the sheer novelty of seeing new genres pop up every other day was mindblowing. That and it's pretty much the last time you had a significant British gaming industry just making games for the brits first of all, and not worrying if the Americans didn't get your bum jokes. There was a game about Dennis Thatcher for fuck's sake.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 5 July 2010 07:18:10
    for me all the eras have there great memories, i guess the spectrum/ c64 and megadrive snes eras stand out most nostalgically, also ps1 was and amazing switch to 3d at the time and made gaming a sociably acceptable pastime !! but to be honest the current gen is brilliant to (if often lacking originality) but if its one thing i really miss its the local arcades. I used to love going into the arcades to play the latest and most tech advanced games but now, in those that remain its all fruit machines with the odd dance and shooting game...very depressing.
  • matt6666 5 Jul 2010 07:19:24 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ps1 or amiga, maybe snes, nah ps1..
  • thedaveeyres 5 Jul 2010 10:16:41 10,684 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    March 23rd to March 28th 1983.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• andywilkie35 5 Jul 2010 10:20:47 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PS1/N64 era, closely followed by the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Blerk Moderator 5 Jul 2010 10:30:03 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The current one. Regardless of what year it is when you ask the question.

Games are very much a product of their times. Although I have much fondness for my early home-gaming years in the early 80s, it's very difficult to go back even a few years for anything other than a nostalgia hit.
  • RyanDS 5 Jul 2010 10:33:57 9,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PC gaming in the mid to late 90's.

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Command and Conquer, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, No One Lives Forever, Master of Orion 2, Homeworld, Baldur's Gate, fucking Civ 2, Duke Nukem 3d...

Awesome memories of playing till 5 am.

• zisssou 5 Jul 2010 10:40:17 587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Growing up in the 90s, I have to say that this is my favourite era. I was lucky enough to have brothers who had an amiga, mega drive, snes, game gear, lynx & N64 throughout the 90s. My first console I owned was a PSX.

I can recall playing Return to Zork on my brothers PC and it actually shitting me up haha.. looking back at youtube clips... how stupid :( We got Day of the tentacle and a couple of my friends joined in, which got me hooked on adventure games. Then my first taste of an FPS with Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

If I had to choose a console generation, it would probably be the N64/PSX. The N64 having 4 controllers and playing Goldeneye.. what more could you ask for?!

I think having now grown up, it's hard for me to get too excited about games. I still enjoy playing them, but it misses something.. possibly the whole "I've played this before" and I miss being a kid with no worries in the world, just playing games.
  • danathjo 5 Jul 2010 10:53:03 7,218 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    zisssou wrote:
    and I miss being a kid with no worries in the world, just playing games.
    this, no matter how much 'better' games are now you can't beat the feeling of playing as a kid with your friends, before work...earning pocket money and only getting a couple/few games a year which you played to death

• ModishNouns 5 Jul 2010 11:07:32 4,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been playing games since the Grandstand, through the VIC20, C64, Amiga, PC, PS2 to 360 and I can honestly say that the current era is my favourite. Certainly PS2 -> 360. There have always been great games but I am playing more now and enjoying them more than I ever did.
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 5 Jul 2010 12:03:19 1,896 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nostalgia-wise, I'd say the Amiga era. Just discovering games for the first time, really falling in love, spending hours and hours just with the practice mode of Lemmings 2...

However, if I'm honest, I'd say it was late-1990s PC gaming. Everything from, let's say, Duke Nukem 3D through to Deus Ex. The internet taking off, 3D graphics cards, mods and TCs... it felt like the PC was at the cutting edge of gaming back then, and reading PC Gamer felt like being part of a massive community.

Plus, I used to make levels for Duke and Half-Life, and edit the config files of Red Alert to make the tanks shoot nukes. Happy days.
  • andywilkie35 5 Jul 2010 12:08:07 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    zisssou wrote:
    and I miss being a kid with no worries in the world, just playing games.
    this, no matter how much 'better' games are now you can't beat the feeling of playing as a kid with your friends, before work...earning pocket money and only getting a couple/few games a year which you played to death

Definitely agree with this. I remember how excited I was getting Metal Gear Solid after school with my pocket money, or having to wait until Christmas to get Dino Crisis or Final Fantasy VIII, which I would play until I'd done absolutely everything in the game. Getting home from school and firing up the Playstation at four in the afternoon and playing all night. Can't do that now :(

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 5 July 2010 12:10:24
    This era has been my favourite.
  • Gaol 5 Jul 2010 12:34:05 2,263 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grew up on the speccy so have seen each era from 8-bit til now. PS1 era wins hands down for me. The jump to 3d, the Japanese studios' output over that period, console gaming being actively marketed at young adults, a steady stream of excellent PC releases, the birth of online gaming. Lots and lots happened at that time that was pretty exciting.
  • hypoBla5t 5 Jul 2010 13:10:46 1,356 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Obiwanshinobi wrote:
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    The ideas and technology in modern gaming destroy almost everything that has come before.
    What ideas? Was there a single game this gen as impactful as GTAIII? Serious question. As for the technology, 30 fps mediocrity can fuck off (Burnout Paradise is the only console game I saw this gen coming close to my idea of high-tech standard).
    P.S. I'm not just pulling your leg; I'm really curious what you are talking about. Like, where are those ideas and technology.

What I'm talking about are modern games like Mass Effect 2, arguably one of the best games ever made. I'm talking about freedom and choice. I'm talking about a believable and interactive world where you are free to carve your own groove. A game that has an amazing story. A game that has amazing graphics (with polygons!!). One that has some of the tensest and most intense battles I've ever played.

Is this possible on a ZX Spectrum? A gameboy? A SNES? Of course not. Not even close. Nowhere near.

People who say they prefer these eras: ok cool, that's your choice, but can you honestly say you prefer it when gaming was a joystick and one, maybe two buttons? Running left to right with a few jumps? I don't see it. And yes, I've owned those consoles, and though I feel nostalgia about them, my memory of their greatness is preserved better when they are switched off and up in the loft.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last