Ni no Kuni: The Another World for PS3 - Studio Ghibli/Level 5 title Page 9

• Page

of 34 First / Last

• brn 22 Jan 2013 11:18:49 228 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Somehow Level 5 and Ghibli found a way to bottle magic and poured it all over this game.
    Yeah that'll help enduring these last days of waiting. Haven't been this excited over a JRPG since FFXII.

Which reminds me, I got an extra copy of it and a Balthier figure from a Eurogamer comp. thanks again eurogamer :D He stands on a shelf beside the computer, been traveling with me all across sweden and back. If only I could use that airship of his.

Edited by brn at 11:20:15 22-01-2013
  • f00b_inc 22 Jan 2013 12:54:54 688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm.. I hesitated too long and now The Hut / Zavvi preorders are out of stock (they had a discount code that brought the price down quite nicely). Anyone spot a good pre-order price anywhere? Thank you!
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 13:02:08 35,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir What do you mean with "do not grind"? That it is not needed and you just need to change tactics? Just a bit confused because different revies and comments seem to completely disagree if it's a grind-heavy game or not.
  • Masaroth 22 Jan 2013 17:46:50 152 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone know if anywhere still has the wizard edition avaliable?
  • santashi 22 Jan 2013 17:56:14 5,050 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does Shopto? They did a few days ago, I think.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Bremenacht 22 Jan 2013 22:13:35 17,613 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    I only have two warnings about this game:

1) The familiars system at times can feel a little like Level 5's other collection based titles in that its trying a little too hard to create marketable critters for children to buy and compared how full of soul and heart the rest of the game is, it is remarkably cynical and sad. But really, its quite faint.

2) Do NOT grind! Please, I beg you. (Unless you are one of those people who enjoys grinding, I guess.) This game does not have an even difficulty level that slowly ramps up all the way through. It's more fluid than that, but its quite clear it was designed to make everything you can do more worthwhile. Play the game the way it was intended and I can almost guarantee you'll have a better experience, even that means getting your ass handed to you several times, actually especially because it means that. This game got ripped to shreds for its uneven difficulty by Japanese hardcore RPGers who really should know better, but were on a mission to hate this game into oblivion.

I also recommend you buy the special edition so you can get the book. Especially if you are part of the generation who misses huge and detailed instruction manuals that were worth reading and contained all sorts of entertaining miscellany, or if you are even lucky enough to remember Infocom and their feelies. Also, because referencing the glorified PDF file in the game is annoying compared to having the book with you.

Otherwise, I have nothing but praise for Ni no Kuni (both the untranslated DS version and this game, which are not completely, but mostly different, BTW), the best original RPG masterpiece this entire generation. For me, this was better than Nier, better than Radiant Historia, better than Demon Souls.

Somehow Level 5 and Ghibli found a way to bottle magic and poured it all over this game.
    Great post, bumped. Cheers, JTN.
  • NewbieZilla 22 Jan 2013 23:22:16 239 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gameinformer gave it a 7. Short, badly written review (IMO).

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ni_no_kuni_wrath_of_the_white_witch/b/ps3/archive/2013/01/22/a-beautiful-frustration.aspx
  • JinTypeNoir 23 Jan 2013 04:27:28 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @UncleLou Exactly, it is not needed. You may need to change tactics, or you may need to think about changing your team, or any number of other things. It gets hard, but the answer to your problems is so, so much satisfying, and you'll get far more out of the experience if you tinker and explore when you're up against a wall. There is a very, very good reason the game purposely throws these difficulty walls at you. I can't say what it is, because people are so sensitive about spoilers these days, just that it is really a genius idea. I can't imagine that people who got grinded got as much out of the experience.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 04:31:10 23-01-2013
  • FatsoJetson 24 Jan 2013 01:07:43 302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anybody else had an email about their Zavvi pre-order, apologising that its not been dispatched yet.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting it to be - its not released until next week, right?

Do Zavvi always do this?
  • Zackv4861 24 Jan 2013 06:33:31 1,082 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nopes i got it and no it doesn't always get sent. I beleive it because thr original release date was tomorrow but got pushed back a week a couple of weeks ago. Likely nott changed it in their system yet
  • FatsoJetson 24 Jan 2013 07:39:29 302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zackv4861 wrote:
    Nopes i got it and no it doesn't always get sent. I beleive it because thr original release date was tomorrow but got pushed back a week a couple of weeks ago. Likely nott changed it in their system yet
    Ah yes, that would make sense.
  • Trafford 24 Jan 2013 08:14:24 5,633 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone know how much the Wizards Edition is going to cost?
    I pre ordered it from my local Grainger games, but they couldn't tell me how much.
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Jan 2013 08:37:43 35,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir Cheers - you make it sound like the reason is a very specific one - spoiler-tag it, if it's nothing that ruins the game! :)
  • Tiiti 24 Jan 2013 09:57:37 497 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sold out now on Amazon. That's Zavvi and Amazon so far?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Namco-Bandai-Ni-Kuni-PS3/dp/B008LTGEGQ/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_h__videogames_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=234865607&pf_rd_s=right-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=300703&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0D936NX82NJZHNWH36QX

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    X360 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 5
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 580 Lightning (sli), SSD

• Darren 24 Jan 2013 10:57:52 8,700 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I cannot put into words how excited I am about playing this game after reading the reviews and watching an hour of the game being played on Giant Bomb (their Quick Looks are anything but yet superb and funny to boot IMO).

I'm selling my Wii and Xbox 360 this year, due to lack of use, but exclusives like this game and The Last of Us are the reason I've reconsidered getting rid of my PS3. The PS3 has simply had the most varied and interesting exclusives this generation for me and if I only buy one console next generation, which I intend doing, then the PS4 is going to be the one.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Randomlampy 24 Jan 2013 11:09:39 580 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Trafford
    It was 69.99 at Game, where I succumbed to the temptation given I had 15.00 in a code and vouchers. But having a look just now its showing as sold out too.

Really looking forward to this as is the Present Mrs Lampy as she loves anything Ghibli.
  • the_dudefather 24 Jan 2013 11:11:49 9,202 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    I cannot put into words how excited I am about playing this game after reading the reviews and watching an hour of the game being played on Giant Bomb (their Quick Looks are anything but yet superb and funny to boot IMO).
    I liked the Mooom! bit

Just preordered myself

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• chrisno21 24 Jan 2013 11:28:07 1,465 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got two wizard editions pre-ordered as I managed to get teh Amazon one yesterday for 55 within the 10 mins they had new stock. However I'm a bit concerned that I might not get one - do Amazon inform quickly if they cannot fulfil? The other is 70 at Shopto.

Been looking forward to this game since it was announced years ago, been a big Level5 RPG fan since Dark Chronicle - still my favourite PS2 game - and this is getting so much praise I'm starting to become paranoid I'll miss out if i cancel shopto.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Trafford 24 Jan 2013 11:50:08 5,633 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Randomlampy

Cheers mate.
  • oldschoolsoviet 25 Jan 2013 10:14:31 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUN-DUN-DAAAAAHN !

Oh dear.
  • JoeGBallad 28 Jan 2013 10:37:23 383 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If anyone is interested, I reviewed Ni No Kuni and absolutely loved it. If you fancy watching a video full of gushing praise, then by all means, enjoy this one:

Sorry if this is annoyingly spammy. Hope you enjoy the video.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2013 10:42:31 35,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JoeGBallad As a foreigner, I am not sure if I find yours or Drippy's accent more amusing. ;)
  • Cappy 28 Jan 2013 10:51:46 11,831 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A German girl told me that all British men sounded gay to her.
  • Fourwisemen 28 Jan 2013 10:52:11 155 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do I bother picking this up. I have had my eye on it for a while, and something about it appeals, but don't know if I'd be able to invest enough time to get the most out of it.

Far Cry 3 is a huge game, but I know I can dip in and out of it without too much bother.

I fear Ni No Kuni wouldn't benefit from this kind of approach and I might be on a hiding to nothing.

Any thoughts from anyone who's played it on import?
  • JoeGBallad 28 Jan 2013 11:16:47 383 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @UncleLou Drippy has a better script-writer than me, so he wins on the comedy front!

@Cappy I've been to Germany a few times but nobody has ever mentioned that to me! Maybe they all whisper it behind my back or something :D

@Fourwisemen Yes, Ni No Kuni is a big time investment. The good thing is that each individual chunk of the game is quite short: Dungeons don't take longer than an hour or so, and side quests are very short and easy to keep track of. It sucks you in though, so what was going to be a half hour session becomes hours sat there playing in wonderment. Hope that helps :D

• Fourwisemen 28 Jan 2013 11:18:21 155 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @JoeGBallad

Yes, that was very useful thank you. I think I may do a trade in and switch the PS3 on for the first time in a good while.
  • Randomlampy 28 Jan 2013 11:30:37 580 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoeGBallad wrote:
    Dungeons don't take longer than an hour or so, and side quests are very short and easy to keep track of. It sucks you in though, so what was going to be a half hour session becomes hours sat there playing in wonderment. Hope that helps :D
    Thats good to know, not so much for myself but the present Mrs Lampy enjoys watching games but can sometimes only stomach a couple of hours before getting bored, which should help since she's looking forward to this almost as much as I am.

I'd happily watch the review but without trying I've managed to not see a thing about the game thus far and so close to release I'm tempted to keep it that way :)
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jan 2013 11:36:01 14,422 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps
    although this might not seem like a big deal to you guys...does it run constantly from the HD or can you install ?

I only ask, as I'm plying MW3 on the ps3 at the moment, and the noise while running it is very nearly enough to stop me playing, and yes I know the game itself should be enough to stop me playing ;)

The ps3 chugs like afucker (MW3) while running it, I have checked this is "normal" apparently.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• JoeGBallad 28 Jan 2013 11:43:21 383 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Randomlampy Ah go on! We could do with the views haha

• Page

of 34 First / Last