Buying a Macbook Pro? Page 19

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• 1Dgaf 4 Jul 2012 10:49:50 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks folks.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Kay 18 Sep 2012 12:41:27 17,798 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On the verge of (finally) getting a new Macbook Pro - the HDD on my current one is starting to make an ominous clicking sound, so it clearly wants to be put to sleep for good now.

So - standard Pro or Retina. I'm a bit wary with the talk of the latter being unrepairable etc., but since I'll be getting the 3-year Applecare with it, shouldn't be a major issue right? I'm guessing a "genius" will happily fix any issues that do crop up.

Any other issues with the display, or with non-retina applications looking crap on it? Also, I've vaguely heard about system issues when the RAM has been upgraded to 16GB (which I'm also considering, for the sake of £100 or so extra)...

Basically, getting the standard Pro at this stage would be a bit silly, right?
  • nickthegun 18 Sep 2012 12:47:30 59,312 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The retina is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to upgrade so once youíve made your decision youre stuck with it until its EOL, so you need to throw as much money at it as you can from the get-go.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Kay 18 Sep 2012 13:56:08 17,798 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, that's why I'm thinking of going for 16GB, even though it seems a little excessive for my needs at this stage.

Will have to make do with 256GB memory though, what with the massive price hike to get 512GB. Should be enough if I use external hard drives.
  • beastmaster 18 Sep 2012 14:00:24 11,287 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mates just bought himself an older MBP and he upgraded the RAM and SSD himself.

I've got the last version of the old MBP and it also has the 'benifit' of having a DVD drive.

Your choice. Apple care is great so you won't have any worries.

Edited by beastmaster at 14:06:03 18-09-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• [maven] 18 Sep 2012 14:05:15 5,152 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd splurge for Retina. But then I own the Retina base-model (with 16GB ram, 256GB SDD, 2.2Ghz CPU).
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Sep 2012 14:54:37 1,465 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I went for the 2.6ghz/16gb Ram/512 SSD retina and it's bloody great. No hardware issues as of yet.

On the other hand I seem to have been hit by every software problem that's been reported. Everything from the chrome kernal panic to the Mountain Lion battery issue. No problems with programs though.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 14:55:06 18-09-2012

For the emperor!

• CharlieStCloud 18 Sep 2012 15:30:06 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some of you have an awful lot of money ...

... *mutters to himself*
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Sep 2012 15:43:15 1,465 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did get educational staff discount, about 20% off, but yeah it's one of those machines that you buy because you need it for work. The only other people I know who've bought one work in the film industry.

It's quite telling that my mates at CEX still haven't had one sold in yet, not even the gadget obsessed types who buy something to show it off then sell it a week later are willing to drop this kind of cash.

Basically if you don't intend to have made it's cost back within a year, don't bother ;)

For the emperor!

• Kay 19 Sep 2012 15:39:41 17,798 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still can't decide! Thinking now that I might be better off getting the standard 15" with hi-res display, which is a good £300 cheaper. The 512MB Nvidia graphics card should more than suffice for the odd bit of gaming (I think), and I can always easily swap out the HDD or add up to 16GB more RAM (I think).

As much as I'd love the retina display, it'll defeat the point a bit if most web pages + apps still haven't been optimised for it.
  • superdelphinus 19 Sep 2012 15:45:15 8,038 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iPad plus a bastard of a pc is the way forward, unless you genuinely need a tremendously powered laptop
  • Widge Moderator 28 Oct 2012 21:01:07 13,390 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Still can't decide! Thinking now that I might be better off getting the standard 15" with hi-res display, which is a good £300 cheaper. The 512MB Nvidia graphics card should more than suffice for the odd bit of gaming (I think), and I can always easily swap out the HDD or add up to 16GB more RAM (I think).

As much as I'd love the retina display, it'll defeat the point a bit if most web pages + apps still haven't been optimised for it.
    Ding, this is my thought process, especially after I discovered that Retina doesn't work well with 3rd party apps (Ableton actually displays worse on Retina vs. the old model).

Student discount is nice, I have a few in the family so may very well be utilising.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Kay 29 Oct 2012 17:56:10 17,798 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually went for the Retina model (15") about a month ago. It's a lovely machine - so slim and light considering the screen size. Also, thanks to the SSD it absolutely flies and is completely silent. Literally boots up in about five seconds.

It's not perfect, though - some web pages still annoyingly stutter, especially when pinch-zoomed in. I've decided to keep the resolution down to "best for retina" in order to minimise this, but it still happens - though I think it's more to do with OSX not doing a good job of switching between in-built graphics and the Nvidia GPU. Still, there are times when I do wonder if the hardware is up to the task of handling the mammoth resolution.

Aside from that, no regrets. It was the Anandtech review that swung it for me, particularly this bit - might help with your decision.

And when you think about it in those terms, you see where the normal 2012 MBP is flawed - itís a design thatís rooted in the past, a four year old design with a one year stay of execution. That normally wouldnít be a problem, but with the future being sold alongside it, it becomes a much more difficult sell. Especially when you consider this: if you were to buy the base 15Ē MBP and upgrade to a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD and 8GB memory (bringing it to spec-parity with the base rMBP), youíd be approximately $100 shy of the rMBP pricing. Thatís $100 for a smaller, lighter notebook thatís just as fast and has a *significantly* better display. If youíre eligible for student discount, that difference is actually zero, because the rMBP has a greater student discount than the base MBP15. The rMBP is pretty pricey, but when you think about it, itís a pretty good deal.
  • Widge Moderator 30 Oct 2012 11:52:38 13,390 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was thinking of getting an older one and putting a hybrid HDD in it instead.

_ _ _

• boo 30 Oct 2012 12:04:57 11,732 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got one of the last 17" MBP's before the overhaul. Absolutely love it.
    Hi-res screen is fine.
    And it's got a DVD drive, which I consider essential. Really not sure what I'm going to do in a few years time when I need to change. Don't want to be lugging a superdrive around everywhere.

Just Another Lego Blog

• dominalien 30 Oct 2012 12:48:39 6,843 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @boo

It may happen that your habits will change during those few years.

I personally find myself using a DVD drive increasingly less often as my media consumption has switched from physical to digital. A few years ago I would lug a case full of discs for work with me, now I just have my a couple of flash drives with various utilities, to be replaced with new utilities as the need arises almost instantly.

I'm not saying everybody is like that, but there's a chance you may rely on dics less and less as time goes by.

Apple, after all, has always been fond of getting rid of tech it deemed obsolete, like the floppy drive, serial and parallel ports, PS/2 ports, etc. They often do it before many are ready for a change, but luckily you don't need to upgrade your MBP just yet :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• boo 30 Oct 2012 12:58:42 11,732 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use it as a portable DVD player - I keep a couple of boxed sets at work and watch TV every lunchtime.
    Can't see the point of going through all the hassle of ripping DVDs to solid state when I can just whack a disc in.

Like you say though - might be different in a few years.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Widge Moderator 19 Nov 2012 13:48:58 13,390 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, I'm thinking of hanging around for the 2013 refresh instead. Wait for Retina to bed in.

_ _ _

• Dante_Cubit 19 Nov 2012 18:15:06 1,908 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I got one of the last 17" MBP's before the overhaul. Absolutely love it.
    Hi-res screen is fine.
    And it's got a DVD drive, which I consider essential. Really not sure what I'm going to do in a few years time when I need to change. Don't want to be lugging a superdrive around everywhere.
    I have the exact same machine and haven't used the drive in about a year thinking about it. As soon as they do a retina Air with a graphics chip capable of running at that resolution I'm in. Super high res is pointless without sufficient power to utilise it properly.
  • famous_roy 25 Nov 2012 10:48:05 4,100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good god, installing Windows 7 on my Retina Pro is proving to be an incredible ball-ache.

Downloading the ISO, popping it on a flash drive and running bootcamp assistant jobby is all well and good but there's a rather large problem

My question is: Where the feck do I buy a Windows 7 product key. There is seemingly nowhere online, Mircosoft's shop is pathetic with only a WIndows 8 upgrade being downloadable.

Any ideas/workarounds. Bought Xcom and the Total War collection on Steam in hot anticipatation, now I am grumpy. Is my only option to spend £100+ on a physical copy?!

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• famous_roy 25 Nov 2012 11:03:18 4,100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems as legitimate as speakers from the back of a van, closest thing I can find to buying a key online... Hmm..

• Fake_Blood 25 Nov 2012 11:09:17 4,144 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are you stuck during the install or do you want to activate win7?
  • famous_roy 25 Nov 2012 11:18:03 4,100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Activate Win7.

I've not actually run through the process yet on this MacBook, just pre-empting the license key request :/

I have a Bootcamp partition on my iMac but that was somewhat easier due to the fact the iMac has a disc drive, I had a Vista dvd trial (this was a few years ago) and that was no sweat.

Pretty frustrating!

• Fake_Blood 25 Nov 2012 11:29:14 4,144 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well the bootcamp helper wants a win7 iso file, which you should "acquire" somehow :/
    I think during the install you can leave the key field blank and it should install regardless.

And man, microsoft.com really wants you to buy win8 instead, all the info is buried in there.
  • famous_roy 25 Nov 2012 11:32:01 4,100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers dude, a buddy of mine just told me much the same.

Looking forward to some hot Xcom action :D

Yeah, the Microsoft site is frankly baffling.

• Widge Moderator 26 Nov 2012 12:50:12 13,390 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tell me how you find the games on the thing. Been reading reports that via Windows the games run better, some games can run at the full resolution with all the whistles on.

_ _ _

• Fake_Blood 26 Nov 2012 13:26:58 4,144 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I was pleasantly surprised by the retina model, there's definitely at least a ps360 in there.
    Now first things first, most recent stuff you won't be playing at 2880x1800, it's a res a gtx680 would have trouble with(I think).
    That said, I played older stuff like Bioshock at that res without problems.

Most games I res down though, 1680x1050 or even 1440x900 with some FSAA, I lurve my framerates.

Games I played like that are :
    Alan Wake
    Alice Madness Returns
    AC2
    BF3
    Batman AA
    Bulletstorm
    Crysis 1&2
    Dead Island
    Dead Space 2
    Dirt 3
    Driver SF
    GTA4
    Just Cause 2
    LA Noire
    Mass Effect2
    Metro 2033
    Rage
    Saints Row 3

I wouldn't buy this thing for gaming, but it's a nice extra.
  • FanBoysSuck 26 Nov 2012 19:02:38 1,465 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apple really have hit a home run with this machine, a super portable machine that runs games pretty damn well if you knock down the res.

I've only tried 2 games at native resolution, Avadon and dear Esther. Both were unplayable due to the text being too small. Running stuff at 1440x900 is about the right as you can turn everything up to full. Hell it will play crysis 2 smoothly with high textures and dx11 if you turn down the settings to the one below max.

Which is bloody great as I won't have access to my desktop over chrimbo.

For the emperor!

• THFourteen 26 Nov 2012 19:14:03 33,089 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apple have hit a home run because you can play last year's games on a two grand laptop?!

O_o
  • Page

of 25 First / Last