Donkey Kong Country Returns Page 4

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• figaro7 29 Nov 2010 20:39:38 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats awesome news, now just need the game!
  • Deleted user 29 November 2010 20:41:27
    ecosse_011172 wrote:

And some tards think that Nintendo games wouldn't benefit from HD and more horsepower......
    You realise it's the same game, right?
  • MrSemprini 29 Nov 2010 21:15:00 9,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Thats awesome news, now just need the game!

Just got it working myself. Waggle to roll worked OK but more than once I rolled to my death unintentionally. Anyway, buttons all the way now.
  • figaro7 2 Dec 2010 20:41:12 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn its hard isnt it, almost unforgiving at times, im only in the 2nd world too! It sounds and looks incredible though. As for controls, im using wiimote sideways, i cant imagine playing a 2d platformer any other way, shake to roll is fine, as long as you remember that you cant stop the roll and jumping motion once youve started it.

Im surprised it got difficult quickly, hell i died on the 2nd level of the first world a few times, although im trying to collect the kong letters and as many puzzle pieces as possible.

The game screams retro, the art design is brilliant and the interaction with the background is a neat idea. Using diddy kong as basically a hoover mechanic helps a lot, as does the extra health he brings! Its a good thing extra lifes are in abundance and there always seems to be a health piece just after a difficult section.

Levels are quite large but thankfully theyve included checkpoints in the form of a pig waving a bell? Finding secret areas isnt that difficult thus far, you know they are there its a matter of getting there that can cause problems.

Its very enjoyable and completing a level is an achievement in itself but i cant wait to see what retro have dished up in later levels.
  • GeeMacca 2 Dec 2010 20:42:14 2,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great, great game. That is all.
  • MrSemprini 2 Dec 2010 21:16:18 9,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm up to World 6-7. I can assure you it doesn't get any easier.
  • andywilkie35 3 Dec 2010 09:33:17 5,338 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got to 2-3 last night before stopping for the night, decided to leave it on a high - excellent level. Just a shitter that I can't play it again until Monday now, sake.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• matrim83 3 Dec 2010 09:56:16 5,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    While I dont have a problem with difficult games themselves I gotta say a lot of the difficulty in this game feels really cheap. The minecart and the rocket sections are insta kill for every mistake. And there are way WAY too many of them. Plus a lot of times the only way to get through a level is to die a few times and memorize all the "set peices" where the floor/roof drops down etc. This is doubly worse in the aforementioned Minecart/Rocket section because your options there are very limited.

Its still a good game but not a patch on NSMB wii.

Valar morghulis.

• Jazzy_Geoff 3 Dec 2010 10:00:06 7,782 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NSMB wii was shit though
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 13:42:33
    gah. my sister totally susprised me and brought this before i did- can't complain as im saving cash- but she is having first go on it. Im watching, stupidly said no to 2 player co-op - as i want to explore etc do everything myself (Shelfishly), but it looks great, really can't wait to play this.
  • VeggieWokker 3 Dec 2010 21:24:35 297 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I set my alarm clock early this morning to play some before work. It's so addicting :p.
  • DFawkes 3 Dec 2010 21:26:41 24,047 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Addictive. Sorry, I genuinely can't help it, in that context you use "addictive".

Glad it's good though, I really wish Sonic 4 had been treated with as much respect to it's predecessors.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• jambii267 3 Dec 2010 22:00:35 1,368 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Damn snow, my pre-order hasn't arrived :(.

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• kinky_mong 4 Dec 2010 00:17:39 10,865 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jambii267 wrote:
    Damn snow, my pre-order hasn't arrived :(.

Shopto? Mine hasn't arrived either. Knew I should have just got it from HMV :(

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Raiko101 4 Dec 2010 04:41:06 6,699 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played this for the first time today. Really enjoying it. Bar level 2-7, I think it is, with the water. I lost a good 15-20 lives, though mostly through impatience and fustration.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• MrSemprini 4 Dec 2010 12:30:41 9,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Beat the World 6 boss last night.

What an irritating little shit.
  • kinky_mong 5 Dec 2010 13:52:37 10,865 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished World 4. The reviews really weren't lying when they said the game gets very difficult! Lost so many lifes on the barrel rocket levels, and some of the mine cart ones where punishing as well.

Still doesn't stop this being a fantastic game! Definitely in my top 5 of the year.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• AlcohollicA 5 Dec 2010 14:18:00 2,357 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loving this! The cave levels have been my favourite so far.

On the world 5 boss just now. The bosses are very hard but I havent found the levels themselves too bad.

Only things I'd change about the game:
    Let you have 2 hits on cart or rocket if you have diddy.
    Make the bosses a little easier.

This shits over NSMBWii. It's a shame it won't sell anywhere near as much.
  • figaro7 5 Dec 2010 20:40:28 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You liked the cave levels? i was too busy about to throw the controller out the window to take any notice. Silly bloody mine carts is all i have to say! ^ Boss level 6 is a real doozy!

Anyway game completed, all kong letters found! Its ironic that i didnt have too much of a drama going back to get the KONG letters as i tried to get as many as i could on my initial playthrough. The levels just seem to get easier once youve been through them again.

That what this is all about though, pure gameplay, once youve mastered a level, youve mastered it, that and the fact that i had to replay just about every level just to pass the bloody things helps.

Once you unlock the temple levels by collecting all the KONG letters in every world, bloody hell they aree insane and theress no checkpoints, managed to beat them all and unlock the temple level, 9-1, Its just out of this world really, great music, full of fruits and banana platforms, havent managed to beat the level yet. The temple levels in each world are by far the hardest in the game though

No doubt this is a solid game, as to whether its better than NSMBWii, at first i thought yeah definately, now they are about on par, i still think NSMBWii is the more fun experience.

One thing i do know is that i need the soundtrack asap, i still listen to the original trilogy's today and some of the remixes are fantastic!
  • MrSemprini 5 Dec 2010 22:14:29 9,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking forward to getting to the spoilered bit. If they are as hard as NSMB World 9 then it will be a worthy challenge.

It's an irrelevance as to which is the better game, they are both superlative examples of the genre and essential purchases. A fellow would have to be every inch a fool to find nothing to enjoy in them.
  • AlcohollicA 5 Dec 2010 22:31:48 2,357 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I very much enjoyed both.

New Mario wasn't as good as Super Mario World and wasnt the step forward I'd hoped for in a sequel to it. That wasn't what they were going for though I guess.

I'd say DKCR is better than the Rare originals.
  • kinky_mong 8 Dec 2010 14:41:40 10,865 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    World 7 boss has been a real low point so far. Irritating patten memorisation that's also quite random, unless I'm missing some cue for when he does a rush of sidesteps in his first form.

Thankfully the rest of the world was brilliant and the game just keeps throwing in new ideas in each level. I think it was the Edge review that criticised the level design for becoming samey, but they were clearly talking out of their arse, as per usual.

• Jono62 8 Dec 2010 15:01:08 14,356 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The two k levels I've done have been fucking tough.
  • figaro7 8 Dec 2010 20:42:43 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ Just be on your toes with the sidestepping, im not sure theres much of a pattern it, it either takes small quick steps or the slow large ones allowing you to get underneath.

The K levels are bloody tough to be sure, no checkpoints dont help either!
  • figaro7 13 Dec 2010 20:47:59 1,385 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Managed to download the soundtrack, utterly brilliant really, especially the remixes from the original DKC! Heres hoping Retro do a sequel based on donkey kong country 2! Now that was a soundtrack!
  • MrSemprini 13 Dec 2010 21:01:46 9,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The K levels are brutal. Managed 1-3, 4-7 are unlocked. Must have lost over a hundred lives on 4&5 alone. The mine cart level on World 8 was pretty challenging too. Bought this for my niece for Sol Invictus, she's going to be having a tantrum for sure given it took her nearly a year to beat NSMB.
  • Jono62 14 Dec 2010 08:49:30 14,356 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On world 7, the factory level and enjoying it immensely. K level 5 was fine but K level 4 was tough. In the end just decided to just go for it without taking any breaks and it. K level 6 was easyish but the boss was an annoying fucker.
  • kinky_mong 14 Dec 2010 11:26:36 10,865 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've done the first 5 K levels but had to stop after my 15th death on the 6th one because I wasn't in the mood. Bastard level doesn't give me a Diddy Kong barrel at the beginning!

• MrSemprini 14 Dec 2010 11:42:56 9,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've only had a few goes at K6, barely into double figures on lives lost there. 5 was fine? Struth, the barrel bits near the end are doing my nut in, that's if I can reach them which is about 20% of the time.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last